Gamespot vs.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by PresidentLogan (248 posts) -

I know it's not exactly a new conversation by any stretch of the imagination but I want to see if anyone feels the same as me. I feel Gamespot has become a big joke where it was once great and my main resource for news/reviews etc. I am not pointing the finger squarely at Tom McShea and Carolyn Petit but they are the figureheads who have turned Gamespot in to a little whiney hipster niche site with quirky reviews where once kit was a great mainstream Gamer Site. I ask one thing from video game reviews. THAT THE REVIEWERS ACTUALLY LIKE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES!!!!!!

Some people think the total opposite to me but the at least the guys over at IGN actually come across that they like playing games as a hobby and pastime and don't treat every review like they would rather be doing something else - or speaking on something else - this is particularly apparent when a reviewer gets given a game to review in a genre that seems they have no interest in in the first place - for me a reviewer on a multi platform/multi genre video game website should have at least a wide taste of all or most genres in order to write an unbiased review OR someone who at least likes the genre and has experience of other games in the genre to compare should be given the review. Anything else is just bad management. Would a movie site give the review of the latest summer blockbuster to their resident 'thought provoking Eastern European art house' ponce and vice versa?

I know a review is a matter of opinion and all the other replies in Gamespots defence but their scores vary so drastically from their contemporaries on some of the biggest and industry's most respected releases that they have become nothing but a nasty little bad joke.

Oh and one last thing that Johnny from feedbackula is not funny in the slightest. He tries to by reading out comments he disagrees with in a sarcastic or stupid voice and gives no valid retorts other than his owns self worthy opinion... and you can tell he loves himself so much with his snooty morally superior idiot hippy intellectual face!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6019 posts) -

I don't know about all their reviews, but I find myself beginning to lend less credit to reviews from McShea and Petit- or even avoiding them altogether.

#3 Edited by Jacanuk (4541 posts) -

Gamespot after Ryan Davis and the guys who formed Giantbomb left, is a shadow of its former self and i have to look very very hard to see any difference between this site and Polygon which is a terrible american ultra left-winged feminist site.

It´s sad that Giantbomb didn´t stay independent and that after Ryan Davis died seem to have lost its way. because otherwise i would have been following their site.

#4 Posted by AmstradCPC (13 posts) -

Dunno about the reviews but its a slow as hell giant pile of dog feces since they decided to "upgrade" it.

I rarely use it now. Way to much crap on the pages.

#5 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@PresidentLogan said:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Croatian, that means 'beans'. I love beans.

#6 Posted by valium88 (4455 posts) -

@UpInFlames:

I love balkan food, grah is not that great in my taste though, the soup I mean. Now I know why it's called grah ;)

#7 Edited by _Judas_ (729 posts) -

I've been a member since 2004. There have been periods of my life where I visited the site on a daily basis, and other periods in my life where I have spent not so much time at this site. This has always been my "go to" site steering away from other sites "that shall not be mentioned". I used this site's reviews as strong informants on how good (basically) a game is and if that game has any rudimentary flaws. The first time I strongly disagreed with GameSpot was when a game I had gotten got a low score. I admit; this is nothing to cry and shout about, but at the time I was younger and less mature. I couldn't believe the game had gotten such a low score even though me and my friends played it and enjoyed it immensly.

Ok, I can see that it is going to take a long time till I eventually get to my point, so let's skip straight to the point: I have come to consider the reviews given by GameSpot as sometimes strongly biased articles that are highly based on opinion/subjectivism. Reviewing can be said to be a difficult type of text to write, and there is another website that "Shall not be mentioned" that have scores given to important game-elements such as graphics, gameplay, sound fx and the likes. Then they look at the scores and finally give a final score based on the element/section scores and an "overall feel" of the game. I like this system. A game with super-excellent graphics will make the game seem more immersive, which is a good thing, atleast to me. This way I can really "lose" myself in videogames.

I still think every title should be reviewed either as a team, or as a minimum of three (3!) seperate reviews. This new feature, "Second take" or whatitscalled, I feel is a cowardly way to "cover all bases" if you catch my drift. The fact that a game gets 9 out of 10, and then, in a "second take", the very same game recieves a 4 out of 10...that is pretty repulsive.

I agree with your opinion on Johnny.

#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71801 posts) -

@PresidentLogan:

I agree, guys like Gerstma and Navarro are gone. The only one of the old breed is Justin Covert, but he doesn't review games anymore sadly. The only reviewers i really like on the site is Aron Waters and Shaun McInnis. KVO does good reviews, but it doesn't always struck a chord with me. But yeah i agree. I find it staggering that this site gives the review copies and the task of reviewing it to the one that has time, instead of having guys reviewing it by the genre they like the most. It's not like IGN where they have 2 or 3 journalists for each console and can easily give it to a person that fits to do the review. Even though i don't always like the reviews at IGN, at least they are consistent and have a structure. It feels like ever since McShea started his thing with Skyward Sword and Fable: The Journey, it has gone down in my book. I don't even trust the reviews at this site anymore except for the two i mentioned

#9 Posted by Jacanuk (4541 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@PresidentLogan:

I agree, guys like Gerstma and Navarro are gone. The only one of the old breed is Justin Covert, but he doesn't review games anymore sadly. The only reviewers i really like on the site is Aron Waters and Shaun McInnis. KVO does good reviews, but it doesn't always struck a chord with me. But yeah i agree. I find it staggering that this site gives the review copies and the task of reviewing it to the one that has time, instead of having guys reviewing it by the genre they like the most. It's not like IGN where they have 2 or 3 journalists for each console and can easily give it to a person that fits to do the review. Even though i don't always like the reviews at IGN, at least they are consistent and have a structure. It feels like ever since McShea started his thing with Skyward Sword and Fable: The Journey, it has gone down in my book. I don't even trust the reviews at this site anymore except for the two i mentioned

Alex is not gone he works at Gamespot´s sister site Giantbomb.

And those two will probably in the near future become more the same.

#10 Edited by Krelian-co (10953 posts) -

between gamespot or any other site, i would take any other site 100% of the time, reviews are a joke thanks to mcshea and petit.

#11 Edited by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@valium88 said:

@UpInFlames:

I love balkan food, grah is not that great in my taste though, the soup I mean. Now I know why it's called grah ;)

Haha!

#12 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@UpInFlames said:

@valium88 said:

@UpInFlames:

Haha!

Grah indeed. Looks... like a turd in a bowl of beans. But hey, Google makes fools of us all from time to time.

#13 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@UpInFlames said:

@valium88 said:

@UpInFlames:

Haha!

Grah indeed. Looks... like a turd in a bowl of beans. But hey, Google makes fools of us all from time to time.

Dude, you have no idea how tasty that actually is - when done properly. It's hands down one of my favorite dishes.

#14 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@UpInFlames: Well I was just trying to be pithy more than actually make a point. Apologies if that didn't come across in the post.

I enjoy lots of foods that don't look appealing to the casual observer. Still tastes amazing though. :)

#15 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@UpInFlames: Well I was just trying to be pithy more than actually make a point. Apologies if that didn't come across in the post.

I enjoy lots of foods that don't look appealing to the casual observer. Still tastes amazing though. :)

No, I got it. I was just, you know, saying.... :)

#16 Edited by valium88 (4455 posts) -

@UpInFlames:

My girl is from Bosnia so she knows how to make it properly, but I'm not that into it. I love cevapi, burek, cufte, sarma (my favorite) and some other stuff I don't remember the name on. My whole family went visiting her family in Bosnia last year, great people and great food! Dedo (grandpa) always started the day with slivovitz haha! Medicine for about everything he said, I never got quite used to that, so I stuck with the Sarajevsko for the heat ;) We also went to Croatia, a lovely place too :) Her grandma made these incredible paprikas with meat, I could fly back for that alone lol!

#17 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71801 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@PresidentLogan:

Alex is not gone he works at Gamespot´s sister site Giantbomb.

And those two will probably in the near future become more the same.

So is Gerstman, it's not the same

#18 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@valium88 said:

@UpInFlames:

My girl is from Bosnia so she knows how to make it properly, but I'm not that into it. I love cevapi, burek, cufte, sarma (my favorite) and some other stuff I don't remember the name on. My whole family went visiting her family in Bosnia last year, great people and great food! Dedo (grandpa) always started the day with slivovitz haha! Medicine for about everything he said, I never got quite used to that, so I stuck with the Sarajevsko for the heat ;) We also went to Croatia, a lovely place too :) Her grandma made these incredible paprikas with meat, I could fly back for that alone lol!

Oh I see, that's awesome, haha! Well, of course, we all have different tastes. I'm not a big fan of sarma, for example. Šljivovica is brutal, definitely not for me. But yeah, ćevapi and burek are awesome, bosnian especially. Have you tried fiš and čobanac?

#19 Edited by valium88 (4455 posts) -

@UpInFlames:

Right you are :) I don't think I have tried the fis and cobanac, looks delicious though. I shall mention it to my girl and see if she can whip it up! Thanks for the tip! I swear I need bigger and bigger pants after I met that woman haha!

#20 Posted by iampenguin (223 posts) -

Gamespot = Failspot

#21 Posted by chicknfeet (15628 posts) -

You feel better getting that out of your system?

#22 Posted by Jag85 (4490 posts) -

I actually prefer the new direction that GameSpot reviews are going towards... It's about time more game critics started using the full 1-10 scale, rather than the ridiculous 7-10 scale used by so many other game critics out there.

If we want video games to be taken seriously, it's about time that game critics started having a backbone for once and be willing to provide actual criticism, rather than just bending over backwards for the large fanbases of popular franchises.

#23 Edited by puddinghead101 (155 posts) -

I like how two completely different discussions are happening in this thread. A very serious one about Gamespots reputation as a gaming site and an EVEN MORE SERIOUS one about peoples taste in foreign food. I think we know which one is more important.

#24 Posted by chicknfeet (15628 posts) -

@puddinghead101 said:

I like how two completely different discussions are happening in this thread. A very serious one about Gamespots reputation as a gaming site and an EVEN MORE SERIOUS one about peoples taste in foreign food. I think we know which one is more important.

Can't deny the people their right to some beans

#25 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

used to come here for the forums/community... slowly been using that time on GAF and retro gaming forums ever since the upgrade. They also stripped my favorite part of the site - the user ratings which I referenced my large list quite frequently.

#26 Posted by sukraj (22800 posts) -

@UpInFlames said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@UpInFlames said:

@valium88 said:

@UpInFlames:

Haha!

Dude, you have no idea how tasty that actually is - when done properly. It's hands down one of my favorite dishes.

That looks like poo.

#27 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71801 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

I actually prefer the new direction that GameSpot reviews are going towards... It's about time more game critics started using the full 1-10 scale, rather than the ridiculous 7-10 scale used by so many other game critics out there.

If we want video games to be taken seriously, it's about time that game critics started having a backbone for once and be willing to provide actual criticism, rather than just bending over backwards for the large fanbases of popular franchises.

using 6-9 isn't using the whole scale mate. I trust other sites more, sorry. Even though they gave a 1 to Motorbike, they refuse to give a 10 to a game because they don't think games are worthy of a 10. They rarely go beneath 5 or 6.

#28 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151076 posts) -

I'll be honest.....I don't pay much attention....and never did to the reviews here. I'll glance at them from time to time.

#29 Edited by _Judas_ (729 posts) -

To the topic starter: do you have any examples of how a review SHOULD be like? From another site(other gaming site or a video-clip site) or from a blog?

#30 Edited by PresidentLogan (248 posts) -

@_Judas_: Not really. it's all based on feelings and vibes really and Gamespot has changed for the worse. To me they come across as if they are not big videogame fans in some of reviews - or the wrong people are being chosen to review specific games and offer their opinion on behalf of the site/Gamespot brand.

#31 Edited by Jag85 (4490 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jag85 said:

using 6-9 isn't using the whole scale mate. I trust other sites more, sorry. Even though they gave a 1 to Motorbike, they refuse to give a 10 to a game because they don't think games are worthy of a 10. They rarely go beneath 5 or 6.

...And did you forget the fact that GSpot (well, McShea) gave BioShock Infinite a 4/10 and DuckTales Remastered a 4.5/10? While I disagree with those scores, what it shows is that they are more than willing to use the full 1-10 scale, even for popular games, not a "6-9" scale which you wrongly claimed.

#32 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71801 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jag85 said:

...And did you forget the fact that GSpot (well, McShea) gave BioShock Infinite a 4/10 and DuckTales Remastered a 4.5/10? While I disagree with those scores, what it shows is that they are more than willing to use the full 1-10 scale, even for popular games, not a "6-9" scale which you wrongly claimed.

That wasn't the official review for Bioshock and Tom McShea is notorious for controversial reviews, same with Carolyn. You stated on the other hand that other sites only use that scale, which also false

#33 Posted by Sushiglutton (5303 posts) -

@PresidentLogan: I see what you mean to some extent. McShea is obsessed with the mechanics matching the story. He has written dozens of articles on the topic and it's a big part of every review he writes. To me that aspect is not that important overall, so his reviews are fairly useless to me. Petit also seems to care a lot less about how enjoyable the mechanics of the games are than I do.

Shaun, Chris and Kevin still seem sensible to me. They all seem to enjoy games for what they are.

#34 Edited by blangenakker (2348 posts) -

I'd say its review sites vs youtube channels

#35 Posted by Minishdriveby (9983 posts) -

The only reason I browsed Gamespot daily was for the forums. Now those have gone to shit as well, so I only come around here every couple of days for 10 or so minutes. The staff of gamespot seems like they are made for television. They try too hard to come up with intellectual content, but often times they just feel fake.

I also really dislike the guy who does feedbackula. He calls out assholes by being an asshole himself, and the smirk he makes on the homepage is very egotistical.

If I want opinions/Quicklooks I'll go to GiantBomb. If I want news I'll go to neoGaf now. The only reason I linger around here is out of tradition (6-7 years), but I don't actually use any of the content provided outside the occasional forum post.

#36 Posted by AK_the_Twilight (285 posts) -

@Minishdriveby: Feedbackula is supposed to be a response to the angry trolls and fanboys in the community, but it does so in a very snarky and almost mean-spirited way. That seems retroactive to me, almost like it's trying to solve the problem by fighting it with another identical problem.

All in all, I'm not seeing the reviews getting much better. I'm all for having a unique opinion, even if it's against the majority's, but you need to back it up. You need to articulate your argument so that it makes sense to give a game a certain score. All I'm seeing in the Gamespot reviews these days is controversy and while that's an easy way to get traffic, it's not an easy way to get support. I just wish there was a decent amount of discussion instead of seeing a review, hearing the comments explode with anger, then having Feedbackula address the comments. It's become clockwork on Gamespot to have that formula occur on a weekly, even daily basis.

Right now, I'm finding more legitimate criticism of games from Youtube channels like ProJared, brutalmoose and the guys at ScrewAttack. Rev3Games is doing okay too, though I'm seeing a steady drop in quality in their reviews. Not enough for me to unsubscribe or even dislike them, but it's noticeable. GiantBomb is doing okay too, though I rarely see reviews there at all right now. I like the way Alex Navarro, Brad Shoemaker and Jeff Gerstmann write and talk; it's just a shame that you don't read or hear more of it.

It's interesting that the long-time "game journalism" outlets are the ones that are having the most trouble staying relevant when it comes to offering quality editorial content. When the Youtubers critique a game, you want to listen; they are honest and their content shows that. When a gaming press site does it, you can't help but feel nervous trusting their opinion. It's difficult to explain, but there's just a looming sense of mistrust clouding up the sites' homepages.

#37 Posted by Minishdriveby (9983 posts) -

@AK_the_Twilight:

GiantBomb is more informal and you can pick up their opinions based off of quicklooks and podcasts. I think this is a better way of talking about games than having the procedural reviews.

#38 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71801 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

@PresidentLogan: I see what you mean to some extent. McShea is obsessed with the mechanics matching the story. He has written dozens of articles on the topic and it's a big part of every review he writes. To me that aspect is not that important overall, so his reviews are fairly useless to me. Petit also seems to care a lot less about how enjoyable the mechanics of the games are than I do.

Shaun, Chris and Kevin still seem sensible to me. They all seem to enjoy games for what they are.

I totally agree, just watch last years comic con where he got into an argument with the Medal of Honor director. Where he said the game wasn't realistic. Yet the director never claimed that, he tried to make it authentic and true to soldiers and their sacrifice

#39 Edited by AK_the_Twilight (285 posts) -
@Minishdriveby said:

@AK_the_Twilight:

GiantBomb is more informal and you can pick up their opinions based off of quicklooks and podcasts. I think this is a better way of talking about games than having the procedural reviews.

Yes, and I believe that that informal format is the way to go for game criticism these days.