GameSpot's Game of the Year 2013 Awards

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by diskotheque (34 posts) -

Maybe it's just me but I found the 2013 Game of the Year Awards to be sorely lacking. I remember a few years back when the awards were more varied and exciting... with Special Achievement Awards like the "Best Game No One Played" or "Most Difficult Game" or "Best Original Soundtrack". Not only were there fewer awards this year but they were all console awards... which is kind of silly considering that most games are released for multiple consoles. The Xbox One and Playstation 4 even ended up having the same winner and the Xbox 360 winner was also released on the PS3. It just seems kind of pointless to have console awards when things like this happen.

I know it's more work to do the awards the way they used to be done a few years ago because there's so many random categories to fill but it's a lot more exciting and interesting and it was a better way for me to discover games I may have overlooked during the year. The only reason I ever even heard about Demon's Souls was thanks to the number of awards it won from GameSpot in 2009, including "Game of the Year" and "Best Original Game Mechanic" (for its unique online experience).

I'm not sure if any of the GameSpot crew reads these forum posts but if you do then please consider bringing back the award systems of old for 2014. Thanks!

#2 Posted by blamix99 (2559 posts) -

Zelda won Editors Choice and TLOU won People's Choice. still great.. both deserved it

#3 Edited by CoquiNegro (171 posts) -

I agree. After looking at the awards for the first time this year, I looked back at previous ones. They were simply outstanding, so many fun categories that it was mind-blowing. Why did Gamespot abandon it? These awards were so horrible and lazy, to be honest. Surely it can't be that much work.

#4 Posted by loafofgame (804 posts) -

I see your point, but personally I don't really care about awards, so... yeah. Really useful comment, I know. ;-P As for GS people reading these forums, I have read a few user statements claiming they don't really pay attention to the forums, so... that might be an indication.

#5 Edited by The_Last_Ride (74264 posts) -

i totally agree, and people could actually vote

#6 Posted by diskotheque (34 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: Even the 2012 Awards were better because of the tournament-style bracket that was used for the Reader's Choice. Otherwise this would have been two years in a row of sub-par Awards. Like I said already, I know it takes a lot more effort to do the Awards in the old style and some of those Awards were kind of pointless but it was still a lot more interesting and exciting and it also gave games that might have gotten overlooked their proper due.

#7 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

Gamespot's been dying for years now. I guess this is just another thing to add to the list. Along with the terrible redesign and an entire staff full of people with little to no personality.

#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74264 posts) -

@diskotheque said:

@The_Last_Ride: Even the 2012 Awards were better because of the tournament-style bracket that was used for the Reader's Choice. Otherwise this would have been two years in a row of sub-par Awards. Like I said already, I know it takes a lot more effort to do the Awards in the old style and some of those Awards were kind of pointless but it was still a lot more interesting and exciting and it also gave games that might have gotten overlooked their proper due.

Exactly, it's not that much of an effort to find some games for categories