GameSpot Game Reviewers Wanted! (Top 100 & Top 500 Emblem Reboot)

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DigitalDame (3904 posts) -

GameSpotWantsU_82889_screen.jpg

Attention GameSpotters, recently GameSpot has started turning more of it's attention to focusing on user contributions, and to continue with that we are rebooting the Top 100 and Top 500 Game Reviewers for GameSpot! With that said, we want to hear who you think deserves to become a holder of a Top 500 or even a Top 100 reviewer emblem!

How to make a recommendation!

The player review emblems are hand picked by the Community Team to avoid any emblem exploits such as disruptive posting and to highlight the best writers in the community. The users who are selected are often featured in the Weekly Community News Report too.

If you have a recommendation on an excellent review writer or video reviews uploader please use this thread to alert us.

Guidelines
1) Please be very clear about who you are recommending and if it is a VIDEO or WRITTEN game review emblem. Now that we have a video reviewer emblem on the way, it is best to mention that you want us to check their user videos and not their user reviews.

2) Please link to the user's contributions page for written reviews and link to their video reviews if you are recommending them as a user video.

3) If you plan to recommend yourself recommend someone else with your resubmission. Otherwise, this becomes a self-centered thread, which is not the purpose of bringing awareness to good writers.

4) Make sure the user has updated a review in the past 6 months. Some recommendations in the last batch had users who have not posted a review in 6+ months. We often remove the Top 100 or Top 500 emblems from users who have not updated their reviews in a year, and these users are granted the Grandfather emblem category (top 1000 review) for not being active. We use the Top 100 or Top 500 status in community news updates. Therefore, it is best to recommend people who post a review at least once every few weeks.

5) This is not for bloggers, just for those who review video games.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. "What's a good amount of reviews for a recommender reviewer to have written? Sure, anyone can write a good review once or twice but is there an unspoken benchmark number wise for reviews submitted for someone interested in the emblem?" ~ -Saigo-
A. This depends greatly on your activity on the site, if you are a newer user and only 2 or 3 reviews you can still be eligible, if you're a very active site member however but have only written a few reviewsyou might need to be very impressive to get that emblem, the name of the game here is consistency with when the users reviews are written.

Q. Do I need to be recommended to receive an emblems?
A. It's possible to get the emblem without being recommended. This thread is just for suggestions.

Q. Can I recommend myself?
A. Of course! Recommending yourself is a good place to start. Before recommending yourself try to hunt down other users to post with your recommendations. Be sure to recommend users who have6 or more written reviews or video reviews.

Q. Many people have recommended me! I deserve an emblem.
A. Recommending someone does not mean that they will receive an emblem. The community team are the one that makes a decision based on secret criteria.

Q. Why haven't I received an emblem?
A. We cannot share the criteria about how to receive a review emblem. Do some investigation! Check to see who has the emblem and then read their writing style and/or quality to your own. Grammar and spelling errors may be considered when we investigate a user's written review.

Q. What is the difference between the emblems?
A. The Top 100 are more prolific. The Top 500 user may not have enough written reviews or they need to step it up on their writing skills. Video review emblem require enough videos to be considered. There is also the grandfather Top 1,000 reviews emblem if you happen to no longer post reviews after a year, but that's not something to be proud of. It means you're a slacker that once had the Top 100 or Top 500 emblem.

Q. I want an emblem, give me an emblem, check out my reviews right away!
A. When you post your recommendations do not pester and private message staff or contact the moderators to check out your user reviews. This thread is the appropriate place to post your suggestions. The timeline on knowing when you'll receive an emblem is anywhere between 30 and 90 days of the thread creation. Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

#2 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
So does this mean user reviews are not going to be practically invisible anymore? That's one of the reasons that led me to stop writing reviews after a while.
#3 Posted by Metamania (11974 posts) -

I have a question - I'm sure that the fans and users on here read interviews, but does the Gamespot team also check out reader reviews every now and then?

#4 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16686 posts) -

This sounds pretty cool. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for good reviewers.

#5 Posted by DigitalDame (3904 posts) -

I have a question - I'm sure that the fans and users on here read interviews, but does the Gamespot team also check out reader reviews every now and then?

Metamania
Yep we sure do! We used to find a lot of really high quality ones, which is why we want to start rewarding them with emblems and possibly even features.
#6 Posted by Metamania (11974 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Synthia

Yep we sure do! We used to find a lot of really high quality ones, which is why we want to start rewarding them with emblems and possibly even features.

That's good to know! Since I started doing reader reviews since the days that Gamespot opened and began to allow reader reviews to happen, it would be nice to earn a reward or perhaps even get a message saying that the review was good or bad and needs some work or what have you. Would be great to be noticed in any way possible, in other words.

#7 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16686 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Synthia

How does a reviewer know when they are being "rewarded?"

#8 Posted by Allicrombie (25148 posts) -

arent reviews still glitched?

#9 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Allicrombie

I was gong to ask about this myself. I try to review a game about every day or so, and lately the reviews have been glitching on me. When I hit submit the site for some reason jumbles all my paragraphs together and mixes up words. It's a pain to go back and fix.

#10 Posted by DigitalDame (3904 posts) -

Allicrombie

We are aware that this is an issue and is currently on the list of things that are being worked on and dealt with.

#11 Posted by WTA2k5 (3997 posts) -
#12 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18332 posts) -

c_rake and S0lidSnakecan definitely write. Thumbs up.

You could also check my reviews if you get the time, I suggest the From Dust one (though sadly the formatting appears to have glitched, so you may want to pick a different one)

#13 Posted by Ragnarok-64 (1295 posts) -

So does this mean user reviews are not going to be practically invisible anymore? That's one of the reasons that led me to stop writing reviews after a while.1PMrFister

I agree with this. I always find it harder and harder to find User Reviews, it use to be easier just to see it on the side with the latest user reviews but since the disappearance I don't even know if anyone writes anymore

#14 Posted by Pvt_r3d (7896 posts) -
Oh, interesting. Maybe I'll get to read some well written user reviews for once in the next couple of days/weeks. I find a good reviewer to not be afraid of playing every genre of games and to not just stick to their favorite.
#15 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

I'm focusing on doing lots more reviews, so I reccommend myself and I'll be "that guy".

#16 Posted by Business_Fun (2281 posts) -

I wrote a Vagrant Story review at the beginning of 2010. I've re-read it in the intervening years and I'm of the opinion that it's not totally sh*t, so by all means take a look.

#17 Posted by Metamania (11974 posts) -

I would like to recommend myself. All of these reviews are written, though some may be a bit long-winded, but it's because I wish to explain a lot and tell the user how I feel. A couple of reviews are short, but a few of my best ones are from Mega Man X4 and Xenogears. So please feel free to check those out if you wish!

#18 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16686 posts) -

I don't want to be too much of "that guy" so I'll just rec my Xenoblade review. If you like that you can check out mroe of them. My more recent ones are miles better than my older ones. (Considering revising some of them.) I think I've done a decent job with recent ones but I think Xenoblade is by far my best one.

#19 Posted by Allicrombie (25148 posts) -

I wrote a Vagrant Story review at the beginning of 2010. I've re-read it in the intervening years and I'm of the opinion that it's not totally sh*t, so by all means take a look.

Business_Fun
I love shameless self promotion.
#20 Posted by Business_Fun (2281 posts) -

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

Allicrombie

I love shameless self promotion.

Well, there was some shame involved, so it's not what I would call a clean win.

#21 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -

i knew I shouldn't have deleted those review videos i did

>:

#22 Posted by The-Apostle (12176 posts) -
My best review is WWE Smackdown vs. Raw. :D
#23 Posted by SoNin360 (5395 posts) -
Awesome, I've seen a number of people who can write quality reviews. I try myself, but I've seen many better reviews than the ones I write, so I'll be sure to send in some recommendations the next time I run across a well written review.
#24 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

I might be crashing the party but in my opinion:

Too little, to late.

GameSpot lost so much traffic last year, and already before they've hardly been read. Now this is certainly a measure to try to get more traffic up again, but I highly doubt it.

#25 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

GameSpot lost so much traffic last year, and already before they've hardly been read. Now this is certainly a measure to try to get more traffic up again, but I highly doubt it.Justforvisit

Source, please.

#27 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18332 posts) -

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]GameSpot lost so much traffic last year, and already before they've hardly been read. Now this is certainly a measure to try to get more traffic up again, but I highly doubt it.c_rake

Source, please.

I think you just asked for a picture of his ass ;)
#28 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

I think you just asked for a picture of his ass ;)Black_Knight_00

I love how no one ever answers that question. Or when they do, they say they're "too lazy" to find one despite making it sound like common-knowledge. Pretty much proof positive that they're spewing bullsh*t.
#29 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18332 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I think you just asked for a picture of his ass ;)c_rake

I love how no one ever answers that question. Or when they do, they say they're "too lazy" to find one despite making it sound like common-knowledge. Pretty much proof positive that they're spewing bullsh*t.

Absolutely so. Ah, the internet, the age of disinformation.
#30 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -
[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Synthia

wow, that's cool. Didn't know you guys did that
#31 Posted by TheSacredFlame (324 posts) -

I just stumbled upon this and I personally think this is a great idea.

I would like to recommend the user rilpas. Even though he hasn't posted any of his reviews on the site; he does have a blog and you can visit that for a more in-depth look of his reviews. I guess I'll recommend myself, but I don't consider myself as a great reviewer. Check my reviews if you want though. :)

Edit: I would love to see some feedback about my current reviews.

#32 Posted by DigitalDame (3904 posts) -

So UPDATE TIME!

We are still moving forward with this feature, however there are still a few steps that we would like to take before making anything official. We've been super busy with the new GameSpot Players Network feature so we want to make sure that we do something equally awesome for User Reviews. If you would like to chime in on what you would like to see, please feel free to send me a PM or email me at synthia@gamespot.com.

#34 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I think you just asked for a picture of his ass ;)c_rake

I love how no one everanswers that question. Or when they do, they say they're "too lazy" to find one despite making it sound like common-knowledge. Pretty much proof positive that they're spewing bullsh*t.

Yeah right, I totally spew bullsh*t in seeing how before the cut with GameFAQ's all boards, no matter how niche a game was were bustling with activity, post a question, get an answer about it in hours. Now it even takes 1, 2 days to get your answer to a simple question (IF at all) on board's game sites like Torchlight II, Skyrim, Call of Duty Black Ops II or Minecraft ;)

And where I started to notice this: Dissidia Duodecim Board, it was so active even a year after the games release on a considered to be very unpopular system. Go there now. It's deserted. Though, not on GameFAQ's.

HMMMMMMMMMM...yup...total BS that ever since 80 % of the remaining GS com is only hanging around at the "bigger boards" like this and OT 99,99 % of the time ^^

Now, YOUR turn to prove ME wrong :D

Edit: About the bolded part: Interesting. That must mean at least a LOT of people are bringing it up. Makes me wonder if they're ALL are wrong though.

#35 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18332 posts) -

Edit: About the bolded part: Interesting. That must mean at least a LOT of people are bringing it up. Makes me wonder if they're ALL are wrong though.

Justforvisit

I don't mean to answer in c_rake's place, but I believe what he meant was that no one ever satisfies the "source please" request, in general, not just your case.

Though I see no exception here: you make some very sensible statements, but I see no link to allow us to verify them.

#36 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

I don't mean to answer in c_rake's place, but I believe what he meant was that no one ever satisfies the "source please" request, in general, not just your case.Black_Knight_00

Yep.

Yeah right, I totally spew bullsh*t in seeing how before the cut with GameFAQ's all boards, no matter how niche a game was were bustling with activity, post a question, get an answer about it in hours. Now it even takes 1, 2 days to get your answer to a simple question (IF at all) on board's game sites like Torchlight II, Skyrim, Call of Duty Black Ops II or Minecraft ;)

And where I started to notice this: Dissidia Duodecim Board, it was so active even a year after the games release on a considered to be very unpopular system. Go there now. It's deserted. Though, not on GameFAQ's.

HMMMMMMMMMM...yup...total BS that ever since 80 % of the remaining GS com is only hanging around at the "bigger boards" like this and OT 99,99 % of the time ^^

Justforvisit

Given that the boards were shared with GameFAQs, it's safe to say most of the activity on those boards came from GameFAQs users about... oh, 90% of the time. let's say? The bigger, blockbuster games were the only ones to see a healthy mixture of userbases posting there. The split made that all the more apparent. You said it yourself: lot the boards are deserted on our end, but on GameFAQs, they're all still going strong.

Safe to say that the majority of GameSpot users are, if not posting game-specific boards, either (a) using the main boards on the forum directory, unions (which probably see way more activity than the game-specific boards ever did on our end), or UCBs, or (b) not using the forums at all and are simply browsing editorial content or something. There's no evidence to suggest anyone left based on that, or vice versa, unless you've got access to their traffic statistics or something.

#37 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I don't mean to answer in c_rake's place, but I believe what he meant was that no one ever satisfies the "source please" request, in general, not just your case.c_rake

Yep.

Justforvisit

Given that the boards were shared with GameFAQs, it's safe to say most of the activity on those boards came from GameFAQs users about... oh, 90% of the time. let's say? The bigger, blockbuster games were the only ones to see a healthy mixture of userbases posting there. The split made that all the more apparent. You said it yourself: lot the boards are deserted on our end, but on GameFAQs, they're all still going strong.

Safe to say that the majority of GameSpot users are, if not posting game-specific boards, either (a) using the main boards on the forum directory, unions (which probably see way more activity than the game-specific boards ever did on our end), or UCBs, or (b) not using the forums at all and are simply browsing editorial content or something. There's no evidence to suggest anyone left based on that, or vice versa, unless you've got access to their traffic statistics or something.

Well okay, I admit I worded it wrong. Give me a second chance:

GameSpot now feels way less alive / active than it did back then.

#38 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

Justforvisit

No arguments there.

Place was bustling to no end a few years ago. So much quieter now.

#39 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

c_rake

No arguments there.

:)

#40 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

c_rake

No arguments there.

yeah that is true, what about recomending myself since you guys probably need some guys to read through :P
#41 Posted by meanballz (1 posts) -
Im in!! Hw do i sign up?
#45 Posted by donalbane (16213 posts) -

The decline in community is probably a result of the waning console generation coming to a close. I predict a resurgence after the Xbox 720 and PS4 are announced.

You know which feature I'd love to see? I want the community to be able to comment on our reviews, and the option to turn off comments if the author feels like things are getting out of hand.

#46 Posted by DigitalDame (3904 posts) -

You know which feature I'd love to see? I want the community to be able to comment on our reviews, and the option to turn off comments if the author feels like things are getting out of hand.

donalbane
Same here, I'm currently working to see logistically how I can make something like that work. Stand by and keep on posting those recommendations for top 100 and 500 writers :)
#47 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

I'd only really like to review games if it could lead to the option of feedback and a discussion. Comments really.

#48 Posted by edda0199 (26 posts) -

It's puzzled me very much. Why I have seen this game preview a little times in aother web?Have you copy it?:question:

:roll::oops:

lol Yes, I havn't finished to read it with patience. It is really difference!!

#50 Posted by DigitalDame (3904 posts) -

It's been a while since there has been any activity in this thread, but rest assured we have been gathering this data to roll out a new community feature, first we had Chalk Talk, then the Artist Arcade. Now, we will be rolling out with a "Reviewer of the Month" feature that will show up on the front page of GameSpot. We will be sharing a bit more detail on how we will be featuring GameSpot User Reviews in the near future.