Games you've awarded a perfect score?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by rigbybot127 (149 posts) -

No games are precisely perfect, but sometimes games come along that couldn't possibly be any better, and are the main reasons we play video games. These games are known as masterpieces. Games that we personally feel are the height of their respective genres, and some of the very finest games known to us. Below is my full, disclosed list of games I awarded a perfect score, be it a 5, 10, 40, or a 100.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Portal 2

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

The Last of Us

Journey

Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto V

Grand Theft Auto III

Half-Life 2

Go ahead and share your list of games you've awarded the highest possible score in your book.

Edit: Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ have all been added to the list.

#2 Edited by Jacanuk (4774 posts) -

No game is perfect , there are always in all games, bugs, small things that could be better or change.

So i have never given any game 10/10 5/5 A++

#3 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

The only game I've ever given a perfect score was Deus Ex Human Revolution because of its depth. It had an intelligent story, interesting characters, good gameplay, a variety of interesting and challenging tasks, and alternative courses of action that resulted in different outcomes.

#4 Posted by MirkoS77 (7637 posts) -
  • Tetris DX (GBC)
  • Fallout 2
  • TLoU
  • Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Both Mario Galaxys
  • Both Arkhams
  • Super Metroid
  • Company of Heroes
  • Silent Hunter IV
  • Doom
  • Xcom (original)
  • KoToR
  • Max Payne 2
  • RE4
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Journey
  • Ninja Gaiden Black

I could go on and on. Just off the top of my head.

#5 Posted by phoenix5352 (60 posts) -

metal gear solid ( 4, snake eater), Uncharted (1.2.3), elder scrolls v skyrim , assassin's creed (2, brotherhood, revelations), red dead redemption

#6 Posted by M3troids (15 posts) -

I Dont remember how many game i have a perfect score hehehe

#7 Posted by Tqricardinho (341 posts) -

GTA IV and The Last of Us.

#9 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

No game is perfect , there are always in all games, bugs, small things that could be better or change.

Then why have a 10 or 5 on the scale if no game is ever good enough to attain it?

I awarded Twilight Princess a 10, not because it's a perfect game, but because it was simply the best game I had ever played at the time. I probably wouldn't give it such a score if I played it now, but that game still holds plenty of sentimental value regardless.

#10 Posted by muthsera666 (13271 posts) -

Psychonauts, man. Great game. Best platformer I've ever played.

#11 Posted by c_rakestraw (14722 posts) -

Only three games: Okami, Dark Souls, and Burnout 3: Takedown. I wouldn't say any of them are perfect, per say (well... maybe Okami), but I consider each of them prime examples of some of the best games the medium has to offer.

#12 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

@c_rakestraw said:

Only three games: Okami, Dark Souls, and Burnout 3: Takedown. I wouldn't say any of them are perfect, per say (well... maybe Okami), but I consider each of them prime examples of some of the best games the medium has to offer.

I would say Burnout 3 is probably everything a racing game should be. I love all the games you listed, but I specifically remember B3 and going in my head while playing. "This is the greatest racing game ever" Man I miss that game's Crash mode. Gotta go dig up my copy now.

#13 Posted by CoquiNegro (173 posts) -

None. In my 20+ years of gaming, I've never played a "perfect game." Every game that I've played has several small flaws that prevent it of reaching that level. Hell, I think only a select few are near perfect. Those could be Super Mario Bros, half life 2 and Tekken 3. All of them flawed as well.

#14 Edited by kingcrimson24 (468 posts) -

GTA san andreas , Half life , Half life 2 , Halo combat evolved , Bioshock , metal gear solid 4 , GTA V , Skyrim , Max Payne 2 , Bioshock infnite , Mass Effect 2

#15 Edited by c_rakestraw (14722 posts) -
@gpuFX16 said:
@c_rakestraw said:

I would say Burnout 3 is probably everything a racing game should be. I love all the games you listed, but I specifically remember B3 and going in my head while playing. "This is the greatest racing game ever" Man I miss that game's Crash mode. Gotta go dig up my copy now.

For sure. I've never had more fun with a racing game. I don't know how anyone could ever top it. Would love to see them make another Burnout in the same vein. Hell, even a re-release would be fine.

#16 Posted by Archangel3371 (15753 posts) -

Some off the top of my head are:

• Halo 3
  • Halo 4
  • Gears of War 3
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
#17 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9062 posts) -

There were only two last gen IMO.

-Batman Arkham City

-Donkey Kong Country Returns

and three the gen before

-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

-Pikmin

-Metroid Prime

I refuse to go earlier because I don't trust my own judgment beyond this point

#18 Posted by Blabadon (26673 posts) -

As I always say, there's no point in having a scale with a 10 at the end if you're not going to use it just because no game is perfect. That's just silly.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Uncharted 1

Shadow of the Colossus

Mario and Luigi SuperStar Saga

#19 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

An interesting question, but not an easy one to answer. Perfect isn't a word that should be thrown around. It should be a near unattainable goal. Of course you covered all this already so I won't go on about it.

I could give only a handful of games that designation.

1. Elite Beat Agents- A game that executes perfectly with mechanics that back up it's rather silly premise as well as could ever be hoped for. Tight controls, impressive comic book style presentation, and fun (if a bit banal) music to go along with it's challenging but rewarding core design. The soundtrack probably held it back for some people since they chose some rather vapid pop songs for some of the levels, I'd still say they all worked well even when they weren't pieces of music I particularly enjoyed.
  2. Batman: Arkham Asylum- I'd be tempted to put City here instead since it's bigger, evolved the combat in a meaningful way, and was more visually striking than it's predecessor. However, Asylum was a game with much better pacing. While City allowed for more emergent gameplay (which I do enjoy), Asylum's pacing puts it a step above, if only slightly.
  3. Final Fantasy VI- Pretty much the pinnacle of 16-bit RPG design for my money. Chrono Trigger would be a close second, but I give it to FF6 for it's truly inspired world design and a villain that pulled off the old mustache twirling "Evil for evil's sake" better than most. Gotta love that Kefka laugh too
  4. Super Mario World- A game that managed to take all the lessons learned from 3 blockbuster games and still managed to improve on them in every way I consider important. This is less a game, and more of an achievement. A high water mark for side-scrolling 2D platform gameplay in my book. Still unmatched as far as I'm concerned.

I'm tempted to put Fallout 3, Halo 3, and Dead Rising on this list, but they really don't deserve it. "Perfect" is just too strong a word to use even though I love those games. They are in fact, my top 3 of the current gen. But ignoring their flaws serves no one. Better to be constructively critical of them and just call them subjective favorites despite a few issues.

#20 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72503 posts) -

Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy X, Forza 4 and Heroes Might & Magic 3

#21 Posted by CoquiNegro (173 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: I think, "near perfect," sounds a lot better.

#22 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@CoquiNegro said:

@ZZoMBiE13: I think, "near perfect," sounds a lot better.

Right on.

#23 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17223 posts) -
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Sonic 1
  • Sonic 2
  • Sonic 3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic CD
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Reason being, because everything about them, especially from a gameplay perspective, is not only perfect, it is or will be timeless. In the case of SoR and Sonic, I'm still playing them more than any of my other games. With MPT and SMG2, I also feel they are the best those franchises will ever get.

#24 Posted by carloscanalesv (106 posts) -

The Last of Us It's the 1 & only game that has earned my hard-to-get 10 score.

#25 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

These are the games that I rated 10 (not perfect, just the highest number on my scale):

• Heroes of Might and Magic III
  • The Longest Journey
  • Half-Life 2
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Civilization III
  • Civilization IV
  • Civilization V
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Manhunt
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • Homeworld 2
  • Disciples II: Dark Prophecy
#26 Posted by b4il (91 posts) -
  • The Wind Waker HD
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Halo 3
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Counter Strike
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
#27 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6251 posts) -

-Half Life 2

-Bioshock

-Bioshock Infinite

-Portal 2

-Mass Effect 3

-Uncharted 2

-Last of Us

#28 Edited by Seerix (65 posts) -

Only one: Chrono Trigger

#30 Edited by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

Z.O.E. 2 and P4

#31 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

The 10/10 score doesn't mean perfect to me, it just means that there are no flaws worth mentioning, anyway:

• Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Uncharted 2 Among Thieves
  • Uncharted 3 Drakes Deception
  • Tomb Raider (2013)
  • Mafia II
  • Red Dead Redemption
#32 Posted by Jacanuk (4774 posts) -

@1PMrFister said:

@Jacanuk said:

Then why have a 10 or 5 on the scale if no game is ever good enough to attain it?

I awarded Twilight Princess a 10, not because it's a perfect game, but because it was simply the best game I had ever played at the time. I probably wouldn't give it such a score if I played it now, but that game still holds plenty of sentimental value regardless.

Because gaming websites and game reviewers do not think of 10/10 5/5 as a 100% perfect score,

And you also prove why no game should have that score, because if you can't go back to it in 2-5-10 years and still give it 10/10 then you shouldn't have given it at the time.

But as i said above, the 10/10 score is not a indication that it is perfect , its just a score to make any reader aware that this is a must buy game

#33 Posted by Bigboi500 (30113 posts) -

Since the new GS website didn't carry over my ratings I don't remember.

#34 Edited by mjf249 (2856 posts) -

There's only been a few games I would say we're "perfect" for me:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time & The Wind Waker

Tekken 3

Resident Evil 4

Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec

#35 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1347 posts) -
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 3
  • Zoo Tycoon
  • Diablo 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Spyro
  • Crash Bandicoot 2
  • Sonic the hedgehog 2
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing
  • Dead Island GOTY Edition
  • Killzone 2
  • Lego: Lord of the Rings
  • Dragon's Crown
  • Skyrim - Legendary Edition
  • Oblivion GOTY Edition
  • Unchartered 2
  • Assassin's Creed 2

For some reason a lot of 2's here.

#36 Posted by BranKetra (48789 posts) -

@MirkoS77: Ninja Gaiden Black is a gem. The combat is expanded upon in higher difficulties which is rare for gaming. The PS3 getting Ninja Gaiden Sigma and not an HD upscaling or even just a direct port is really a shame because even with all its additional content (movement animations, weapons, and playable Rachel), it is not as good as NGB. I could actually argue the rebalancing of the difficulty and additional content made it a worse version.

Anyway, I have given a few games perfect scores. With the new GameSpot rating system, any games I rated nine point five or higher would be rounded up to tens.

Games I rate ten out of ten:

1. Ninja Gaiden Black

2. Metal Gear Solid 4

3. Super Mario World

4. Chrono Trigger (SNES version)

5. Chrono Cross

6. Super Street Fighter II Turbo

7. Final Fantasy VII

8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

9. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

#37 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72503 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

Making a 10 unattainable is silly, 10 doesn't mean perfect. It means it's a masterpiece and absolutely worth playing

#38 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Metroid Prime, Okami, Ninja Gaiden Black, and I think @c_rakestraw convinced me to give Dark Souls a 10 as well.

If it weren't for the overwhelming amount of bugs and the absolute necessity of patches to make it a smooth ride, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines would absolutely deserve a 10.

#39 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6695 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4 (factually) is the only game to deserve a perfect 10/10 score. TLOU, UC2, GTA V are the closest this generation though.

#40 Edited by Jacanuk (4774 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

Making a 10 unattainable is silly, 10 doesn't mean perfect. It means it's a masterpiece and absolutely worth playing

Not as silly as the score system now, where they almost always give out 10 to the biggest hype titles, no one even questions if it gets 10 but goes insane if it doesn't get 10.

That is silly.

#41 Edited by BranKetra (48789 posts) -

@Jacanuk: GameSpot gave The Last of Us an eight and Grand Theft Auto V a nine. Both were greatly hyped titles. Tom McShea gave BioShock Infinite a four. I can list more if you like.

#42 Posted by johnd13 (8237 posts) -

Oblivion and Mass Effect. These two were paramount in my gaming life.

#43 Edited by c_rakestraw (14722 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:
@The_Last_Ride said:
@Jacanuk said:

Not as silly as the score system now, where they almost always give out 10 to the biggest hype titles, no one even questions if it gets 10 but goes insane if it doesn't get 10.

That is silly.

It's only a select number of sites who give out 10s left and right to big-name games. Most of them try to be more conservative with how they hand those out (GameSpot, for instance).

#44 Edited by Chozofication (2938 posts) -

"Scores" aside, there's very few games I think are close to perfect or perfect.

Paper Mario (the only game I think is completely perfect) and its sequel would be two, then twilight princess (GC). Klonoa on Wii (crying shame it sold so little, we could've saw the sequel on Wii too) and its Ps2 sequel are near perfect games, short but oh so sweet.

#45 Posted by iSpectatoR (47 posts) -

There are not perfect games, but these are the best I've played...

• Portal 2
  • The Walking Dead
  • Assassin's Creed II
  • Batman: Arkham series
  • Borderlands 2
  • Half Life series
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Bastion
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Far Cry 3
  • The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
  • Grand Theft Auto Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • Grand Theft Auto IV (haven't played V yet)
  • L.A. Noire
  • LIMBO
  • Mafia II
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Saint's Row: The Third
  • Unreal Tournament 2004

And the list goes on...

#46 Posted by Flubbbs (3170 posts) -

Fallout 3 and The Last of Us

#47 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72503 posts) -

@c_rakestraw said:
@Jacanuk said:
@The_Last_Ride said:
@Jacanuk said:

That is silly.

It's only a select number of sites who give out 10s left and right to big-name games. Most of them try to be more conservative with how they hand those out (GameSpot, for instance).

Sorry, but Gamespot has a few reviewers that contradict themselves all the time. And after Gerstman left, it feels like Gamespot is trying to get credibility and not score a 10 by purpose because it's not "perfect". Therefore give it a 9 or 9.5. I don't think they have given a 10 to a game for two years or more. I might be wrong though. But that's my view. I have been on this site for a long time and i have noticed the obvious change

#48 Edited by philcoulson (6 posts) -

Jedi Outcast

#49 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72503 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

That is silly.

Sites aren't giving them out left and right. Rarely see sites give more than 5+ "perfect score" ratings to games

#50 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

Good question. A 10 out of 10 is something very hard to attain and, in most cases, shouldn't be possible IMO. In my case I think I've only ever given two:

1. Super Mario World - SNES - Pinnacle of 16-bit 2D side scrollers. Great gameplay, variety, soundtrack, replay,and innovation. I still enjoy it to this day and can't think of any way they could have made it better.

2. Guacamelee - Vita - A different type of platformer to Mario this Metroidvania style game had the perfect mix of difficulty, variance, level design, challenge and humor.

Aside from these two there are many that have come close but, as others have mentioned, they always have a tiny flaw or two which, in my books, means it's not perfect.

http://c117games.com/Reviews-001.html

@Jacanuk said:

I can't agree with this. Whilst most games aren't perfect there are a few, for me, that couldn't be improved in any way.