games with sad endings

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jsh020 (1168 posts) -

what are games that end sad, this does include bittersweet also avoid any spoilers, just say the name and be on your way dont give any details and if you have to mke sure to use the spoiler tags

FFX

grandia 2 and 3

shadow hearts

tales of the abyss(was kinda sad)

gta 4

red dead redemption

you guys know any more

#2 Posted by HitomiChan (15305 posts) -
:x... well Fatal Frame 2's ending.
#3 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Crisis Core by far.

Shadowhearts has a good and a bad ending, i refused to see the bad one, i worked to get the good one, i love that game lol, my favorite atmosphere in any game.

#4 Posted by DarthJohnova (4599 posts) -

NieR is probably the most depressing game I have ever played; the sadness is simply relentless...

...So i picked up DW7 after playing it and beat down loads of baddies to cheer me up :D

#5 Posted by Maroxad (8672 posts) -

Mother 3 has a very depressing ending.

Why is mother 3's ending sad?

[spoiler] Because the final boss died. [/spoiler]

#6 Posted by Mewi (386 posts) -

Mario Bros

Because you know that blond is going to get caught again and Nintendo is going to keep hiring Mario to save her for the rest of his miserable life.

#7 Posted by Fusionmix (1656 posts) -

MGS3.Manly tears time.

#8 Posted by Maroxad (8672 posts) -

MGS3.Manly tears time.

Fusionmix

Oh yes, a truly tragic ending, for similar reasons why the ending I mentioned was tragic as well.

#9 Posted by ImBananas (1793 posts) -

Mother 3 has a very depressing ending.

Why is mother 3's ending sad?

[spoiler] Because the final boss died. [/spoiler]

Maroxad
Plus the other boss... [spoiler] Pokey is trapped forever inside a giant stinkin' ball, can't help for feel sorry for him despite him being an enemy in Earthbound AND Mother 3 [/spoiler]

#10 Posted by DraugenCP (8479 posts) -

BioShock 2's good ending (which was beautiful) is pretty dark. Then there's STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, which I found a bit depressing. Especially all of the bad endings leave you with a sense of emptiness.

#11 Posted by ImBananas (1793 posts) -

MGS3.Manly tears time.

Fusionmix
That one's just sad. He [spoiler] kills his mentor to save America, he's lost his eye, he's broken bones, he's no doubt had lead blown into him, and now, he kills one of the last people that matters to him. That's just sad. [/spoiler]
#12 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption, Deadly Premonition.

#13 Posted by annoyingdevil (1222 posts) -

prince of persia sands of time

prince of persia warior within

prince of persia 4 (the most sad includeing epilogue)

Well the most sad thing is that the franchise has a sad ending. (ubisoft killed the franchise ruining it with a movie)

#14 Posted by cyborg100000 (2870 posts) -

The majority of STALKER endings were pretty depressing and funny at the same time.

Mass Effect's ending was somehow sad, I didn't want the game to end and felt connected to the world and characters like you would after watching a long-running TV series.

#15 Posted by brickdoctor (9746 posts) -

Half Life 2: Episode 2 and Snake Eater both are pretty sad.

#16 Posted by Mewi (386 posts) -

Legend of Mana

The game has 4 true endings

So the Jumi storyline was extremely sad made me cry alot :(

*spoiler song*

Just listen to this song, it is sad in itself... :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HRzKkD20YM

#17 Posted by bigboss1203 (1885 posts) -

FF8.....oh god. MGS4 had plenty of sad moments, in fact every game in the series did. Its a very powerful franchise

#18 Posted by xxmatt125xx (1899 posts) -
The Darkness
#19 Posted by a_woman (14 posts) -

Dragon Age. I made alistair king and he left me :'(.

#20 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

The Darknessxxmatt125xx

Oh yeah, i had forgotten about that one...;)

#21 Posted by Crimsader (11672 posts) -
Nothing I've played is sad enough to make me remember it.
#22 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17180 posts) -

RDR, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Majora's Mask (in a way), Ocarina of Time (again, in a certain way), Wind Waker (I cired when I saw it. But come one I was young), Knights in the Nightmare has a very strong tone of sadness, and a few of the endings reflect that. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

#23 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
Nier. As a game, it's little more than one gigantic downer, whether we're talking gameplay, pacing, and story. Your second playthrough is even worse.
#24 Posted by KillerJuan77 (3823 posts) -

Deadly Premonition has a downer for an ending, The Darkness is pretty sad too.

#25 Posted by FooFighter92 (100 posts) -
The Link from

RDR, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Majora's Mask (in a way), Ocarina of Time (again, in a certain way), Wind Waker (I cired when I saw it. But come one I was young), Knights in the Nightmare has a very strong tone of sadness, and a few of the endings reflect that. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

turtlethetaffer
The Link from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask suffered a lot. So yeah, those two have very sad storylines (still, I loved both). I don't know if you can say Halo 3 is a sad ending, but I loved it. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of The New World was sad in a way, becasue ****SPOILER**** you found out at the end that the protagonist wasn't really a real person, he was a personality the bad guy created to hide himself.
#26 Posted by koospetoors (3245 posts) -
NIER by far. The first playthrough has you believing that you did the right thing and saved the world.... But when you go through the second playthrough, you actually see things they way they really are and boy does that sad, horrible truth hit you like a sack of bricks when you first experience it. Truly a sad game overall.
#27 Posted by LankyKong (2678 posts) -

Persona 3 and Fatal Frame 1,2 and 3 had sad endings.

#28 Posted by PalmPixi (361 posts) -

Shadow of the colossus. I was like WTF! Seriously! OMG cry attack!

#29 Posted by el3m2tigre (4232 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption definitely.

#30 Posted by ShadowofSonic (24616 posts) -

k

#32 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Most people won't get it...but the ending of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was really sad.
#33 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
:x... well Fatal Frame 2's ending. HitomiChan
I don't know what's worse, the true ending or the nightmare ending... =.='
#34 Posted by DarthJohnova (4599 posts) -

Asassins creed Brotherhood, cant damn believe i stabbed lucy D:nomorelogic

****ing epic spoiler tags mate!

#35 Posted by drochnathair (412 posts) -

Fatal Frame 2's ending is pretty damn bleak.

Silent Hill 2's "In Water" ending hit me like a ton of bricks the first time I saw it.

Mass Effect 2 can have a sad ending if you want it to...

#36 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

Assasin's Creed: Brotherhood.

It's ending was so shocking to me, and on top of it sad....I litteraly didn't want to finish the story, but I did, sad...so sad.

#37 Posted by Katonymous (19 posts) -
Red Dead Redemption and Silent Hill 2 "in water" endings both made me cry :(
#38 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43223 posts) -
I don't know about many sad endings, but I thought the ending to HL2: Episode 2 was pretty depressing.
#39 Posted by HitomiChan (15305 posts) -
[QUOTE="HitomiChan"]:x... well Fatal Frame 2's ending. Elann2008
I don't know what's worse, the true ending or the nightmare ending... =.='

im happy i got that one happy ending tho.. even if it requires you to play that game on hard.. >__>
#40 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
nomorelogic
Dude! Dude! Spoiler tags! Nao!
#41 Posted by KillerJuan77 (3823 posts) -

[spoiler] Asassins creed Brotherhood, cant damn believe i stabbed lucy D: [/spoiler] nomorelogic

******* ****! Spoiler tags please!

#42 Posted by locknload17 (166 posts) -

Silent Hill 2 - The Leave Ending (the best ending that's also bittersweet, and out of all the endings for SH2, it's my favorite.)

Mafia

Shadow of the Colossus

Half-Life 2: Episode Two

The Darkness

Prince of Persia (2008 )

#43 Posted by Calvin079 (16406 posts) -

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future.

#44 Posted by kickass1337 (149 posts) -

Shadow of the colossus. I was like WTF! Seriously! OMG cry attack!

PalmPixi
This^ seriously it made me so sad and even more angry :|
#45 Posted by woonsa (6321 posts) -
Crisis core.
#46 Posted by Twin-Blade (6795 posts) -

Some of these have differing versions of sad, or a mix (cry sad, depressing sad, pity sad etc):

• NIER
  • Braid
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • LIMBO (depending on the interpretation)
  • Majoras Mask (if a certain theory is correct)

That's all I can think of for now.

#47 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

FF8.....oh god.

bigboss1203

FF8's ending wasn't sad imo

[spoiler] Squall makes it back to the "real" world and hooks up with Rinoa. Everybody is fine at the end, seen in the awesome camera scene. Even Seifer looks like he changed his ways.
[/spoiler]

Anyway, My Heavy Rain ending was pretty bad...
And RDR off course.

#48 Posted by koospetoors (3245 posts) -

[QUOTE="nomorelogic"]DarthJohnova

****ing epic spoiler tags mate!

You're just helping him by quoting it!!!!!!

Anyways ,Legacy of Kain: Defiance also had a bittersweet ending, it really sucked badly when:

[spoiler] Raziel got killed by Kain after the end boss, I loved him as a character [/spoiler]

#49 Posted by Heirren (18810 posts) -

I find most really good Nintendo games (and maybe Rare too) to have sad endings. There's usually some form of piano balad going on that gives the player that feeling of, "awe, its OVER?!:cry:" Sometimes I thought it was a joke of sorts. I got this feeling with Mario64--"wait, what the heck am I going to do now? Zelda isn't out for another2 or 3 years."

#50 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

Anyways ,Legacy of Kain: Defiance also had a bittersweet ending, it really sucked badly when:

koospetoors

[spoiler] If you remember correctly, the kill was not intentional on Kain's part. He turned his face around while kneeling, as he examines Moebius's staff, seeing Moebius apparently alive yet again. Kain rushes him through with the sword and says "Do you still enjoy death?" "Moebius" says "Yes", and then transforms into Raziel, who took over his body. After seeing what happened, Kain immediately feels guilty about what he did and tries to take the blade out, but Raziel stops him. You can tell that Kain is really stricken by what he did, judging by the reactiom that's shown on his face. Also, Raziel was killed before the EG (Elder God) was finally revealed to Kain. [/spoiler]