Games that value gameplay over graphics amd story line?

#1 Posted by canehdian_guy (7 posts) -

I was hoping someone could suggest me some new generation games that are soley focused on actual gameplay, rather then extensive cut scenes and scavenger hunts.

For example, when you play donkey kong country or the original mario's, over 95% of the time is spend avoiding death. In new games it seems like the vast majority of the time is spent running around searching items or watching cut scenes.

If anyone has some suggestions, id appreciate your input.

#2 Edited by mastermetal777 (2261 posts) -

Plenty around. League of Legends, Dota 2, Strider, Spelunky, FTL, and so many others. Just gotta look around.

#3 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

Everything by PlatinumGames.

#4 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (18251 posts) -

Everything on the Wii U ?

Personally I reccomend Lara Croft and The Guardian Of Light.

#5 Posted by sukraj (23818 posts) -

tomb raider

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18251 posts) -

Wait... For which platform ?

#7 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Wait... For which platform ?

Does it matter.

#8 Posted by darktruth007 (523 posts) -

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Both are good games for their genre but their storylines are a joke. They were literally not even trying.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18251 posts) -

@Pffrbt

I'm assuming he plans playing them and doesn't own every system.... We should be more accomodating with our suggestions. ;) its the little things that matter.

#10 Posted by Garfield360UK (20038 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu:

Yes this is a good point, @canehdian_guy could you tell us which platform(s) you plan to play these games on and we can be more specific with our advise. That said, Spelunky springs to mind from me as well in regards to a game that is purely about the mechanics and gameplay. Dark Souls also seems like something that may fit in this category (I think there are story elements to the game, but from what I have played and seen from others, the gameplay is the main draw with that series).

#11 Posted by marlobc (802 posts) -

Towerfall ascension , trine 2 , child of light , mercenary kings

#12 Edited by Kut-Ku (8 posts) -

Metroid - NES. A very bare bones game, with a ton of gameplay. I personally own the NES cart, but if you have a 3DS I think it's only $4.99 + tax. It's a fun little game that emphasizes gameplay over style. Exploration, always spawning with little health, the boss battles are insane, and you can play the game with various handicaps to extend gameplay and playthroughs.

Monster Hunter - PS2 (Original) Freedom 1, Unite (PSP) or 3 Ultimate (WiiU and 3DS)

The MH series has never been about cinematics or story, but always about gameplay through hunting missions. The cool thing about the skill level in this game is you can give a new player the best weapons and armor in the game, and they would not be able to beat the hardest hunts. In fact they would die and fail. You have to learn how to play this game, with each weapon having a completely different style and each armor set giving you a completely different set of skills.

#13 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Pffrbt

I'm assuming he plans playing them and doesn't own every system....

If he doesn't specify certain systems, then assume he already owns most popular systems.

#14 Posted by HipHopBeats (2718 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma, the story sucks ass but the gameplay is pretty good.

#15 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (18251 posts) -

@Pffrbt

So an iPhone ? ;)

#16 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (18251 posts) -

@HipHopBeats

Haha... I just purchased that !

#18 Posted by BARRICADE_28 (147 posts) -

Cave Story, Super Meat Boy

#19 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Strider for the PS4 and Xbox One.

#20 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

As someone said, basically Platinum. The best character action games out there. Or horror games.

#22 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17144 posts) -

The Souls games (Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2).

#23 Edited by firefox59 (4481 posts) -

@darktruth007 said:

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Both are good games for their genre but their storylines are a joke. They were literally not even trying.

Is it really that bad. The first Starcraft game had an interesting story. Especially with the method of delivery exclusively being little in-game avatars and cut-scenes.

#24 Edited by Pikminmaniac (9350 posts) -

Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze are two of the best games in pretty much over a decade and they are all gameplay and offer excessive challenge. Also check out the indie scene with great games like Guacamelee and Rogue Legacy.

#26 Edited by wiouds (5477 posts) -

@canehdian_guy said:

I was hoping someone could suggest me some new generation games that are soley focused on actual gameplay, rather then extensive cut scenes and scavenger hunts.

For example, when you play donkey kong country or the original mario's, over 95% of the time is spend avoiding death. In new games it seems like the vast majority of the time is spent running around searching items or watching cut scenes.

If anyone has some suggestions, id appreciate your input.

You are going to get nothing of much value after all what game does value is up to the person. You will get answers from some that see no problem with current games. You will also get answer from those that seem to force themselves to only see the bad parts of current gaming. Like those that say vast majority of current game time is spent watching cut scene or running around searching for things.

#28 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (18251 posts) -

@geniobastardo

They made one shooter.... So yeah... PG is pretty much a Slasher developer.... BTW I like the new term.

#30 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18251 posts) -

@geniobastardo

Never heard it before.... I can't be that young........ right ?

#33 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7817 posts) -

Super Mario 3D World is the game you are looking for.

#34 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

It's funny that you would bring up Mario and DKC as examples. Those games all excelled in graphics for their time. They don't look so hot now, but compared to our Atari 2600 games… the very first Super Mario Bros. game literally blew me away with it's visuals. Same for DKC, that was absolutely STUNNING in it's prime, and games like that really made some of the supposedly advanced hardware that was coming out at the time like the Atari Jaguar, 3DO, and 32X look like bad jokes by looking better than most of their games on measly old "16-bit" hardware.

The best games in the world typically have always excelled in both visuals and gameplay. The idea that their is a "one or the other" situation between graphics and gameplay is utter and complete NONSENSE. That idea simply has no basis in actual lived reality.

#36 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74225 posts) -

Most games do, Far Cry, LoL, WoW, COD, Battlefield, FIFA, NBA 2k, Forza, etc. Loads of games

#37 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Venture into the arcade section on XBLA.

#38 Edited by coasterguy65 (6234 posts) -

Pretty much everything made by Nintendo. Also check out some of the PC indie games...well PS4 also. Stuff like Trine 2, Fez, Dungeon Defenders, and similar games are all about the game play.

#39 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18251 posts) -

@Ilovegames1992

Its such a limited selection.... But thats only because 50% of the games on the XBLA are not available outside the US......

#41 Posted by platinumking320 (667 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: that shooter was cool though wasn't it? heh heh

And plus Shinji was involved so that's no suprise.

Him and Hideki Kamiya are almost like video games 'John Woo'