Games that don't get the proper credit they deserve?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26733 posts) -

Keep in mind, this isn't really an underrated game thread. It's about games that should have gotten credit for something they were supposed to, but never got that credit for whatever reason.

One of the games I can think of:

Perfect Dark (N64)

Though a very popular game (not as much as it's predecessor, Goldeneye 007), it still doesn't seem to get the credit for being the first game published by Nintendo (this was back when Rare was still with them) to bear the ESRB rating of M for Mature. Instead, the FAR less popular, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (bear in mind, I'm not trying to slam that game as I haven't played it yet, though I can say in terms of gameplay it looks like a fun game, but visually, I've seen a lot better in the era the game was released in) takes most, if not all that credit. This always confuses me whenever someone like ScrewAttack's Stuttering Craig or former CGRUndertow reviewer Jen mention the latter as such when I recall Nintendo publishing games for that audience sometime before.

Not to mention, I believe there was a newscast where they made a big deal out of Nintendo and their involvement with Perfect Dark, saying they have changed from making Mario games.

---

What games have you found that doesn't get the credit it deserves?

#2 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16767 posts) -

I think Super Mario Sunshine isn't loved enough. It wasn't perfect but a lot of people really hate it and I don't understand why. It was a pretty fun platformer.

Also, Majora's Mask. So many people write it off as just trash and they don't even bother to look at what makes it the best (IMO).

#3 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

As Turtletaffer said, Mario Sunshine stands out to me, it's better than SMG 1 in my opinion.

Also, Rogue Squadron 3 is underrated, I liked it just as much as Rogue Squadron 2, it had so much variety, great graphics and music, and great gameplay minus a couple of on-foot sections.

Star Fox Assault also comes to mind. I enjoyed not only the singleplayer but also the multiplayer mode a lot, it's good fun.

Lastly, I'd probably say Illusion of Gaia and Lufia, both great RPGs in my book.

#4 Posted by Intense00 (57 posts) -

Steambot Chronicles

Harvest Monn Save the homeland

#5 Posted by chocolate1325 (32525 posts) -

I agree with Mario Sunshine but also games like Beyond Good and Evil.

#6 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

Nether Earth. The first true RTS, the way we know it. Instead people put that title on Dune 2 or even worse Herzog Zwei.

Terminator: Future Shock - complete FPS revolution, 3d enemies, open battlefields, mission-based combat, vehicles, tactics...all that in 1995

#7 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16767 posts) -

As Turtletaffer said, Mario Sunshine stands out to me, it's better than SMG 1 in my opinion.

Also, Rogue Squadron 3 is underrated, I liked it just as much as Rogue Squadron 2, it had so much variety, great graphics and music, and great gameplay minus a couple of on-foot sections.

Star Fox Assault also comes to mind. I enjoyed not only the singleplayer but also the multiplayer mode a lot, it's good fun.

Lastly, I'd probably say Illusion of Gaia and Lufia, both great RPGs in my book.

bowserjr123

Forgot about Assault. Yeah it was pretty fun although the MP could get ridiculous depending on how you played. Still pretty good.

I almost forgot Viewtiful Joe. Game is an amazing 2D platformer/ Beat 'em up.

#8 Posted by tab134 (345 posts) -
MK Trilogy, it's my favorite mortal kombat yet it seems the internet consensus is that its completely broken and unbalanced, worst of the 2d mks, ect.
#9 Posted by Heirren (17094 posts) -

I think Super Mario Sunshine isn't loved enough. It wasn't perfect but a lot of people really hate it and I don't understand why. It was a pretty fun platformer.

Also, Majora's Mask. So many people write it off as just trash and they don't even bother to look at what makes it the best (IMO).

turtlethetaffer
It's the setting. Some people just didn't like the Island.
#10 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

The Tales series as a whole doesn't get the attention and respect it deserves.

The real time battle system is extremely fun and deep. It's got that fast and intense hack-n-slash feel to it, but it requires a great deal of strategy to be good at.

I don't understand why it doesn't have a bigger following. It's an RPG series with a very well-designed and polished real-time battle system.

#11 Posted by GreySeal9 (24357 posts) -

The Tales series as a whole doesn't get the attention and respect it deserves.

The real time battle system is extremely fun and deep. It's got that fast and intense hack-n-slash feel to it, but it requires a great deal of strategy to be good at.

I don't understand why it doesn't have a bigger following. It's an RPG series with a very well-designed and polished real-time battle system.

GeoffZak

It has excellent combat, among the best, but I find the Tales games to be fairly bland aesthetically and I don't think they work as well as a package as they do in terms of combat. Well, the post-PS1 ones anyway (don't have any experience with the PS1 Tales games, tho i do like the art in Tales of Eternia/Tales of Destiny ii).

#12 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
I think the game Midi maze for the Atari ST doesn't get the credit it deserves as it is technically the first ever fps, not Wolfenstein 3D. Although Wolfenstein doesn't get enough credit either because it is overshadowed by Doom.
#13 Posted by GreySeal9 (24357 posts) -

I'd say Final Fantasy IX if only because I think that it's a better game than VII yet it doesn't get nearly the praise.

#14 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

shenmue in about everything: whole sandbox genre. qte's and many other aspects. one have to simply look at it and see it all. shenmue was first, then came gta3, morrowind etc etc

panzer dragoon saga. final fantasy 7 came out in the same year yet it gets all the credit for renewing the rpg genre. when months later saga came out that wiped the floor with it in every aspect. the game was entirely speeched. first time ever a game had that as far as I know and also all their fmv were speeched and not as pointless as ff7.

#15 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

550854_7234_thumb.jpg

Summoner 2.

The player reviews on GS bounce around all over the place ranging from good to terrible. It seems few people really give the game the time it deserves; it's a GREAT Action-RPG. It has characters and allies you actually LIKE, a large and intriguing world with many ideas not seen elsewhere, and a story just as good as any other PS2 game you could mention.

All wrapped up in a shell of decent controls and combat. It may not have any replay value once you've finished, but you'll still want to go back when you're done.

#16 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (6551 posts) -

crash bandicoot the wrath of cortex and twinsanity.

wrath of cortex was really similar to warped and is almost completely ignored by Crash fans and also scored much lower.

twinsanity was more open then all the other crash games but still fairly similar and alot of fun. Also completely ignored by the fans.

I can understand them not being as well recieved as the others but such a big drop off doesn't make sense to me

#17 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

Shenmue - it was the forrunner of the sandbox genre, popularized QTEs, and set the standard for video game immersion. While many of the AAAE games it inspired have received a ton of sequals and spinoffs, we still don't have a conclusion to Shenmue. I keep hoping, bu realistically I will be dead before a new Shenmue game is released.

#18 Posted by GaussRiemann (183 posts) -
I agree on Shenmue. :) There are many underated games. For example, I would name Ristar. A funny, charming and good-looking platformer by Sonic Team, which came out in 1995. Like other games for the Genesis / Mega Drive in this year, it definitely suffered from Sega's hasty shift to the Saturn, but when I look at old reviews, there seem to have been quite a few people falsely regarding the game as arebranded Sonic.
#19 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

Star Wars: Republic Commando

#20 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -
Shadow of Destiny, PSP and PS2 I've played this game many times and each time I did, I always came up with a different ending that depends on your own choice in the final hour of the game, see the Wiki page to see endings, but this game is truly something amazing, sure the voice acting stinks and the graphics are very early 2000ish, it's one of the most underrated games that people should just try once if they can find it. Indigo Prophecy a great game for the first half, truly freakin amazing, then the last half just flat out stinks, but still if the game is cheap, get and play it for a couple of hours, you will not regret it Shenmue see above comments Army Men Sarge's Heroes series these are games may look childish to the average gamer, but they actually play good and feel good :)
#21 Posted by Eliminatorcanon (36 posts) -

crash bandicoot the wrath of cortex and twinsanity.

wrath of cortex was really similar to warped and is almost completely ignored by Crash fans and also scored much lower.

twinsanity was more open then all the other crash games but still fairly similar and alot of fun. Also completely ignored by the fans.

I can understand them not being as well recieved as the others but such a big drop off doesn't make sense to me

AsadMahdi59
Twinsanity sold quite a bit...
#22 Posted by Eliminatorcanon (36 posts) -

shenmue in about everything: whole sandbox genre. qte's and many other aspects. one have to simply look at it and see it all. shenmue was first, then came gta3, morrowind etc etc

panzer dragoon saga. final fantasy 7 came out in the same year yet it gets all the credit for renewing the rpg genre. when months later saga came out that wiped the floor with it in every aspect. the game was entirely speeched. first time ever a game had that as far as I know and also all their fmv were speeched and not as pointless as ff7.

bultje112
Shenmue wasn't the first. Not for QTE's either. With that said, nobody brought it. I heard the sequel didn't do well either. The game had a lot of great ideas, not exactly sure what overshadowed it so much, but I do k now lack of hype from Sega was one of the main reasons for the games failure. I have yet to play the second one since most fans I have read from say it's terrible compared to the first but I can get it cheap now so anybody have any details? Also there was another gae like Shenmue on PC that also suffered a similar fate, can't remember the name.
#23 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

it seems we have a new troll account.

#24 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -

Shenmue - it was the forrunner of the sandbox genre, popularized QTEs, and set the standard for video game immersion. While many of the AAAE games it inspired have received a ton of sequals and spinoffs, we still don't have a conclusion to Shenmue. I keep hoping, bu realistically I will be dead before a new Shenmue game is released.

Shenmue_Jehuty
#25 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Eliminatorcanon

Shenmue wasn't the first. Not for QTE's either. With that said, nobody brought it. I heard the sequel didn't do well either. The game had a lot of great ideas, not exactly sure what overshadowed it so much, but I do k now lack of hype from Sega was one of the main reasons for the games failure. I have yet to play the second one since most fans I have read from say it's terrible compared to the first but I can get it cheap now so anybody have any details? Also there was another gae like Shenmue on PC that also suffered a similar fate, can't remember the name.

Really? Most people online and in person I've spoken with prefer Shenmue II over the first. I absolutely love both games, but I do prefer the second by a hair. You should definitely pick it up someday and play it, especially if you liked the first. But yeah, it definitely didn't get the warm reception here in the US that it did in Japan and in Europe, and even then, there's not way the game could have been successful given how much the game cost to make and there not being enough people with Dreamcasts; I read somewhere that every Dreamcast owner would have had to buy a copy in order for Sega to turn a profit on the game. By the time Shenmue II was released in the US (3-years later) barely anybody knew what Shenmue was, nor did many people who played the first cared. As a result the series faded into obscurity. The only chance that Shenmue has of ever being popularized is if Sega releases and HD compilation and it sells well, or Sega releases the games on PSN and XBLA. I heard they were supposed to do this soon. Not to sound overly dramatic, but my life will not be complete if Shenmue III never comes to be.