Games that could have done a LOT better without Multiplayer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Baroni88 (340 posts) -

IMO,

Far Cry 3 (although it's still amazing, it could do without the crappy MP and add to an already great SP experience)

The Last of Us (I know it's not out yet, but it doesn't need MP. It'll just take away from what could be in SP)

AC3 (Could do w/o multiplayer. Never could get into it)

Opinions?!

#2 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72255 posts) -
Tomb Raider probably doesn't need multiplayer
#3 Posted by OctaBech (276 posts) -
You can't just cram more resources into a game and think it improves the product, often the resources are better utilized for something else like MP. Looking at the Last of Us, either the extra man power would mean less control to the individual artist/less consistency or the game being made longer, meaning skewed pacing. Some of the best games this gen came from 80 man studios.
#4 Posted by Grovilis (3728 posts) -

Actually, I much preferred the MP over the SP in AC3's case. :P

#5 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Tomb Raider probably doesn't need multiplayerThe_Last_Ride

My feelings exactly. I did'nt touch it in Dead Space 2, never thought about it once in Mass Effect 3. I only ever took out the single player disc when I opened AC III. Don't think it would do much for Tomb Raider. My experience is that people who like multiplayer gaming usually stick to same 2 or 3 games. 

#6 Posted by Granny_Spanked (1326 posts) -

Actually, I much preferred the MP over the SP in AC3's case. :P

Grovilis
^This, the SP was absolutely horrific.
#7 Posted by JustPlainLucas (74156 posts) -
Tomb Raider probably doesn't need multiplayerThe_Last_Ride
Doesn't need it, but the exclusion of MP wouldn't have made the SP any better. Separate funding was raised and given to a separate team to make the MP.
#8 Posted by Pedro (21108 posts) -

Super Mario Brothers

#9 Posted by Archangel3371 (15732 posts) -
None. I have a difficult time assuming that a game would have been better or in some cases even just different if it didn't have it's mp component. I also scoff at the notion that any game shouldn't try implementing an mp component because that franchise didn't have one before or that type of game may not seem to lend itself towards mp type gameplay. There's so much variety to mp gaming these days and I welcome developers who try to implement mp in any type of game.
#10 Posted by sukraj (23032 posts) -

Tomb Raider

Far Cry 3

#11 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

Oh good grief, now we've even got people saying that putting more time and effort into the single player portion of a game will actually make it worse lol.  I've truly heard it all now.

#12 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
lets try to go with games that are actually out
#13 Posted by chicknfeet (15629 posts) -
Not sure why you are downing Last of Us for having multiplayer in it when it isn't even out yet. Why not stick to games that have been released for now.
#14 Posted by LazySloth718 (2332 posts) -

ME3

#15 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72255 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]Tomb Raider probably doesn't need multiplayergpuFX16

My feelings exactly. I did'nt touch it in Dead Space 2, never thought about it once in Mass Effect 3. I only ever took out the single player disc when I opened AC III. Don't think it would do much for Tomb Raider. My experience is that people who like multiplayer gaming usually stick to same 2 or 3 games. 

i tried the mutliplayer, it was fun, but i would rather have had a complete end rather than the kind of bs end we got and no multiplayer. Doesn't mean the multiplayer was bad though
#16 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -
Bioshock 2.
#17 Posted by Baroni88 (340 posts) -

Oh good grief, now we've even got people saying that putting more time and effort into the single player portion of a game will actually make it worse lol.  I've truly heard it all now.

Jackc8
^This hahaha
#18 Posted by Baroni88 (340 posts) -
Not sure why you are downing Last of Us for having multiplayer in it when it isn't even out yet. Why not stick to games that have been released for now.chicknfeet
Ok ok, I am not against it yet. But it just SOUNDS like it could take away from it. UNLESS....they are on two seperate discs..
#19 Posted by CastieI (124 posts) -
Call of Duty. I'd love to see a heavily discounted digital download for just the single player portions of the last few games and all future titles as well.
#20 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

Crysis 2

#21 Posted by genius2365 (386 posts) -

ME3

LazySloth718
I actually enjoyed the multiplayer part of ME3. It helps me keep my skills sharp and makes Insanity a cakewalk when I start a new playthrough
#22 Posted by Archangel3371 (15732 posts) -
I loved the mp in Mass Effect 3 and am very happy that Bioware put it in. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how they build upon and refine it for the next ME game.
#23 Posted by nutcrackr (12630 posts) -
FEAR 3 DNF
#24 Posted by c_rakestraw (14712 posts) -

Ok ok, I am not against it yet. But it just SOUNDS like it could take away from it. UNLESS....they are on two seperate discs..Baroni88

That wouldn't lower the amount of effort required to make a multiplayer mode, you know. It doesn't solve this theoretical problem.

#25 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Jackc8

Yeah, it's hilarious and sad at the same time. 

#26 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]Tomb Raider probably doesn't need multiplayerJustPlainLucas
Doesn't need it, but the exclusion of MP wouldn't have made the SP any better. Separate funding was raised and given to a separate team to make the MP.

I saw a video of the multiplayer component to Tomb Raider a few weeks ago and it looked like generic trash, to be honest. I'll find you a link so you can judge for yourself. Perhaps they should have used that separate funding to make the game itself better.

#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72255 posts) -

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]Tomb Raider probably doesn't need multiplayerShame-usBlackley

I saw a video of the multiplayer component to Tomb Raider a few weeks ago and it looked like generic trash, to be honest. I'll find you a link so you can judge for yourself. Perhaps they should have used that separate funding to make the game itself better.

i read about it and it sounded like a cash in
#28 Posted by Dexter-010 (533 posts) -
BioShock 2. I don't understand why they've put multiplayer on this game.
#29 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Shame-usBlackley

Yeah, it's hilarious and sad at the same time. 

honestly, after hearing people demanding more content from Skyrim, its hard to take people who keep saying "MORE ! " seriously. How ungrateful is that sh!t huh ?
#30 Posted by Megavideogamer (5440 posts) -

Most games these days could ditch on-line multiplayer and be fine without it.

Since companies often devote time on MP part of a game. Which causes the single player or Storyline to suffer. To try to cash in on the Halo, Call of Duty Muliplayer on-line part.

But since so many games have "tacked on" MP these days. The lifespan of games is 3 - 6 months because of MP people just abandon the game when the next MP game arrives. Videogames seem to have become more desposable. As companies chase the on-line Muliplayer dollars.

So outside of the few games that are popular because of on-line MP First person shooters that appeal to the teenagers playing the same few maps trying to improve their kill to death ratio, kill streaks etc. Of whatever acheivemnets/trophies etc in the FPS on-line game.

So 90% of the games that have MP for the sake of having it. Could have done a lot better without it.

#31 Posted by CastieI (124 posts) -
Heavy rain needs a multiplayer patch, I want online competitions in shaving QTE's, and seeing who can press X to Jason the most.
#32 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

Bioshock 2!

The Darkness series

#33 Posted by CastieI (124 posts) -

Bioshock 2!

The Darkness series

EvilSelf
The original Darkness was such an awesome game in it's time, what the hell happened?
#34 Posted by zombehhhhh (452 posts) -

IMO,

Far Cry 3 (although it's still amazing, it could do without the crappy MP and add to an already great SP experience)

The Last of Us (I know it's not out yet, but it doesn't need MP. It'll just take away from what could be in SP)

AC3 (Could do w/o multiplayer. Never could get into it.

Baroni88

Agree completely.