Games? Do you read the or Play them?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by xxBenblasterxx (70 posts) -

Lately I've found my evening spent sat at my desk more oft than not spent reading about videogames on sites such at these and commenting in forums and creating my own posts again such as this, in the past this time would have normaly been spent playing games. But more more I've found myself more attracted in learning about whats to come in our beloved hobby rather than actually partaking in it. This could possibly be due to teh hysteria surrounding the next-gen.

But are you suffering the same affliction? Do you spend more time reading about games than you do actually gaming? (As your actually reading a post such as this, the question may have already been answered)

#2 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
Nope, I usually only read or talk about games during times when I'm unable to play.
#3 Posted by Bigboi500 (29062 posts) -

I read about them enough to be as informed as possible on games I'm interested in buying.

#4 Posted by Apocalypse324 (1486 posts) -

I love playing games but seem to spend more time reading about and buying them. My motivation is horrid, so half the time once I'm sitting down and relaxed...if I don't already have a game in I usually just pick up my tablet and get online

#5 Posted by xxBenblasterxx (70 posts) -

I love playing games but seem to spend more time reading about and buying them. My motivation is horrid, so half the time once I'm sitting down and relaxed...if I don't already have a game in I usually just pick up my tablet and get online

Apocalypse324

But there's plenty of games that offer a simple pick up and play style entry, such as many online multiplayer shooters, or is the barrier of entry to these still yet a struggle to overcome? 

#6 Posted by sukraj (21797 posts) -

I do both.

#7 Posted by puddinghead101 (151 posts) -

I do spend a lot of time on this site and like reading articles, reviews and listen to both the Gamespot UK Podcast and the Gamespot Gameplay Podcast but ultimately I read about all this stuff because I like to play games. Any hobby is more than just doing the activity, theres always a culture surrounding it.

#8 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -
Nope, I usually only read or talk about games during times when I'm unable to play.dagreenfish
This, I only get to play games at night after my son has gone to bed.
#9 Posted by ESPM400 (95 posts) -
Since currently I've picked up a couple games that require some level of precision when it comes to control, I've been coming here for my entertainment once my blood-alcohol level has gotten too high to drive in the sim world. Frankly, I'm surprised I haven't been banned after the recent riot I incited in a separate thread (it was nice to see people finally on my side of said arguement though). Frankly though, I read about a game quite a bit before purchase, but with sites like this and (I hesitate to call them twins, despite their lineage) Giantbomb, I am usually fairly confident on a purchase before I actually get it. EDIT: On a related note, I have found myself watching a lot of games lately. For example: I don't own a PS3, but am deeply into the Metal Gear universe. Since I didn't have the system, I watched a playthrough of the game on youtube just to get some closure. Same went for AC3 (after I got bored of it), and the Uncharted series.
#10 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

I'd say it's a good 50 / 50 with fluctuations to the one or the other side every now or then, so, pretty normal I'd say.

#11 Posted by Apocalypse324 (1486 posts) -

[QUOTE="Apocalypse324"]

xxBenblasterxx

But there's plenty of games that offer a simple pick up and play style entry, such as many online multiplayer shooters, or is the barrier of entry to these still yet a struggle to overcome? 

I don't play many shooters online very often, I have two kids and am usually fairly busy during the day so if I do have time to play I usually need the option to be able to pause it for if I have to get up for anything. I can play at night while everyone is asleep, but that's when I would prefer to play something story driven that I could get into and pay attention too...but at the same time when I'm sleepy Its hard to convince myself to start up a game because I know I'll probably be ready for bed soon...so yea, I'm pathetically unmotivated and that's how I usually convince myself out of playing a game. Right now is a good example actually... I have several games started, DCUO being one of them and the only one I'm playing online, I'm enjoying it because I can hop in and out whenever I need too, but have only been able to put a couple hours into it. Plus I bought a 3ds yesterday and two games...its on a stand beside me and I've been trying to talk myself into opening it and trying it out...then start looking on the forums and decide ill do it tomorrow, said the same thing last night

#12 Posted by xGamePlayerx19 (378 posts) -

Well after school and work and then come home and do homework, I find myself not to much in the mood for video games everynight thus I come here. So really for most of the week Im doing this more then actually playing video games, but when it comes to the weekend I go all out as thats my chance to really pour some hours into gaming.

#13 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2397 posts) -

I've been doing more reading, but that's mainly because there's not much out right now that I want to play.  After finishing Far Cry 3 earlier this month (great game btw) I have yet to find anything to really capture me (Max Payne 3 is doing a decent job of it, but I want to play that all the way through in one or two sittings to really get immersed in it so that's currently on hold).  Though, when we get Bioshock and Tomb Raider I think my gaming will get back in full swing again.

#14 Posted by SoNin360 (5268 posts) -
Sometimes I do that more than I'd like to. I do it more so when I'm transitioning between 2 games, as I am right now. I plan on starting Sleeping Dogs today, and I'm not sure why I'm still roaming around on GameSpot...