Gamecube AV cable compatible with N64?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sl4y4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 sl4y4
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts

Hey there, I recently bought an N64, and the item didn't come with an AV cable, so I attempted to connect it to my TV with the Gamecube AV cable, which is a perfect fit.

However no picture displays on my TV, so I'm wondering if that GC cable is actually compatible?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to make sure that the cable is/isn't compatible before I purchased one specifically made for the N64.

Cheers.

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts
not sure why theres no picture because the cable should work for a snes, gamecube, and n64
PhoenixVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 PhoenixVenom
Member since 2008 • 706 Posts

you could try swtiching the colors, cause i know on my n64 the audio video cables are reversed for some reason. i have to put the red cable in the yellow slot and the yellow cable in the red slot, i guess that was a mistake.

and fyi just in case the genesis av cables for for nintendo, eventhough u didnt ask that

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#4 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts
it should work, maybe try it with another tv ? i use my gamecube av, for my n64 and snes.
sofaking_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 sofaking_bob
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts
i have no knowledge of n64 connectors being reversed as mentioned above... mine are plugged in via rca jacks and the red and white are sound and yellow is video like it should be... and yes, the gamecube av cord is the same one as was used on the n64, and the snes. a bit of troubleshooting might need to take place first though. since you just bought this you need to do a couple of things... first make sure there is either a jumper pak or a ram expansion pack in the top of the system (it's under that piece of plastic on top that comes off) if there isn't one and you see an empty slot, you'll get a black screen until there is something plugged into that port. second, the n64 doesn't have a start-up screen so if there isn't a game in the cartirge slot, you need to put one in it. third, if there is a game in there, it's important that it be in there good as i've had problems with that before... simply taking it out and putting it in usually does the trick... if not, you might try cleaning the connectors... if all of that fails... you've probably bought a brick... or your av cables are garbage... try the cables on the cube, if they work it's the 64... hope that helps.
sl4y4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sl4y4
it should work, maybe try it with another tv ? i use my gamecube av, for my n64 and snes. joesh89
I tried it on my 26" hdtv, no luck, and then plugged it into my old black CRT TV, both into the front (AV3) and in the SCART slot, nothing happened, however the screen flickered when I switched the console on, so it must have registered something. I haven't actually tried my Gamecube on the old TV yet, I'll give it a go in a minute and if that doesn't display, I know it's the TV that aint working.
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#7 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

[QUOTE="joesh89"]it should work, maybe try it with another tv ? i use my gamecube av, for my n64 and snes. sl4y4
I tried it on my 26" hdtv, no luck, and then plugged it into my old black CRT TV, both into the front (AV3) and in the SCART slot, nothing happened, however the screen flickered when I switched the console on, so it must have registered something. I haven't actually tried my Gamecube on the old TV yet, I'll give it a go in a minute and if that doesn't display, I know it's the TV that aint working.

you say you bought the N64 and it didnt come with a cable, are you certain its not a problem with the n64 itself ?

_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
I use the cables with my GC and N64 all the time. Are you sure that the N64 is even working at all?
sl4y4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sl4y4
I use the cables with my GC and N64 all the time. Are you sure that the N64 is even working at all?_Pinbot_
No worries folks, it works fine now, turns out I needed to push the carts back a little bit to get it to display. Played some last night, works great :) Thanks for the help guys.
_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts

[QUOTE="_Pinbot_"]I use the cables with my GC and N64 all the time. Are you sure that the N64 is even working at all?sl4y4
No worries folks, it works fine now, turns out I needed to push the carts back a little bit to get it to display. Played some last night, works great :) Thanks for the help guys.

That is good news. Every console should have some sort of a start-up screen so you know that it is working even if the game isn't loading. The original gameboy had one so why did it take Nintendo until the Gamecube to add one.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Well, at least it's working now, but yes, the composite cable was exactly the same from SNES to N64 to GC, just like how you can use the same thing for PS1, PS2, and PS3.