Game tax proposed by CT lawmaker

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Metamania (11972 posts) -

Link

A Connecticut lawmaker whose district includes Newtown, Conn. has introduced a new bill that would charge a 10 percent excise tax on all games sold in the Constitution state rated M-for-Mature by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board.

Debralee Hovey's (R-112nd District) Act Establishing A Sales Tax On Certain Video Games (via WFSB) asks that the state's general statutes be amended to allow for the extra, game-specific sales tax.

If it becomes law, a $60 title--after the state's 6 percent sales tax--would sell for around $70.

Money derived from the effort would be given to the Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services for the purpose of creating informational materials to educate families on the "warning signs" of video game addiction and antisocial behavior.

A similar initiative was introduced in Missouri last month by Diane Franklin (R-123rd District), which would charge a 1 percent excise tax on all T, M, and AO-rated games in the state. Money derived from this tax would be deposited into the state's general revenue fund and be used only for the treatment of mental health conditions associated with "exposure" to violent video games.

Gamespot

I don't think this will pass at all. BUT, unfortunately, the ESRB are being cowards and the politicians are unfortunately taking advantage of the situation and we are compltely powerless to do something about it. Shame if this passes...

#2 Posted by Maroxad (8088 posts) -

I really hope this doesnt come to pass.

Sigh, I hate scapegoating.

#3 Posted by hummer700 (10160 posts) -

Recent studies have shown no corrilation between violent video games and violent behavoir. Why would this tax even be considered? I know people are upset with guns but, god damn, this is not the answer.

#4 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I can't imagine that passing.  Sounds illegal as hell to tax some games more than others.

#5 Posted by Ish_basic (3999 posts) -

I don't think this will pass at all. BUT, unfortunately, the ESRB are being cowards and the politicians are unfortunately taking advantage of the situation and we are compltely powerless to do something about it. Shame if this passes...

Metamania

I don't think the ESRB are cowards. The ESRB just lacks the piles of money and voter support necessary to "buy" politicians like other lobbying groups do. If more people vote as gamers and more people donate to the ESRB, then it can accomplish more. I don't advocate for that, however, as I think one more lobby is the last thing this country needs.

Recent studies have shown no corrilation between violent video games and violent behavoir. Why would this tax even be considered? I know people are upset with guns but, god damn, this is not the answer.

hummer700

Most voters don't know that. Right now, these "for the children," stances are popular, regardless of whether they have any basis in reality and regardless of whether they will actually make anybody safer. Politicians think their job is to get re-elected and therefore when it comes to peripheral issues like this, what's best for the country or what he/she believes in takes a distant second to "what will get me re-elected." Just look at all the pandering republicans having been doing over the past couple weeks to latinos. They haven't "seen the light" on immigration reform; they just want more of the latino vote, which was something like 74% for Obama last election. Not three months ago they were talking about electric fences and now it's "we share your values, ese!" It's disgusting.

#6 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18363 posts) -
Yes games cause violence. So let tax it. Bunch of morons that don't care about anything except money. I find it sad how they portray games as evil and gamers as homicidal nut cases.. then to fix it they will just put a tax on it to make money.
#7 Posted by BranKetra (48175 posts) -
Should I be surprised that this is actually being considered?
#8 Posted by wis3boi (31118 posts) -

Will never pass, but it's dumb this kind of junk gets proposed

#9 Posted by jsmoke03 (12764 posts) -

similar laws have been struck down...so will this one

#10 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18291 posts) -
Just import games from Canada if this happens. Problem solved.
#11 Posted by XenoLair (4755 posts) -
This is why I'm glad I don't live in the US :P
#12 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

Link

[QUOTE="Gamespot"]

A Connecticut lawmaker whose district includes Newtown, Conn. has introduced a new bill that would charge a 10 percent excise tax on all games sold in the Constitution state rated M-for-Mature by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board.

Debralee Hovey's (R-112nd District) Act Establishing A Sales Tax On Certain Video Games(via WFSB) asks that the state's general statutes be amended to allow for the extra, game-specific sales tax.

If it becomes law, a $60 title--after the state's 6 percent sales tax--would sell for around $70.

Money derived from the effort would be given to the Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services for the purpose of creating informational materials to educate families on the "warning signs" of video game addiction and antisocial behavior.

A similar initiative was introduced in Missouri last month by Diane Franklin (R-123rd District), which would charge a 1 percent excise tax on all T, M, and AO-rated games in the state. Money derived from this tax would be deposited into the state's general revenue fund and be used only for the treatment of mental health conditions associated with "exposure" to violent video games.

Metamania

Though coming from germany and not being affected by this, when I read the first part of this I thought "As if raising the price would avoid future disasters, but when I came to the second part I thought at least that money would be made to good use, though videogames doesn't neccessarily have to do with it at all. Then again, corruption and power / money hungry opportunist exist in politics as well, so careful about that.

#14 Posted by Heirren (16565 posts) -
This would lead to more piracy, likely.
#15 Posted by megam (457 posts) -

jsmoke03
To my knowledge, the laws that have been struck down banned/restricted the sale of games. This merely imposes an increase tax. Alcohol, cigarettes, gasoline, etc. have increased taxes, and to my knowledge, they're not unconstitutional.

I'd like to see a gun tax proposed because major studies have shown a greater availability of firearms leads to higher suicide rates. Basically, more guns = more suicides. Aren't suicidal thoughts supposed to be red flags for mental problems? However, with no conclusive link between video games and violent behavior, I'm left to conclude the politicians are only interested in finding a scapegoat and increased revenue for their states.
#16 Posted by jsmoke03 (12764 posts) -
[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

megam
To my knowledge, the laws that have been struck down banned/restricted the sale of games. This merely imposes an increase tax. Alcohol, cigarettes, gasoline, etc. have increased taxes, and to my knowledge, they're not unconstitutional.

I'd like to see a gun tax proposed because major studies have shown a greater availability of firearms leads to higher suicide rates. Basically, more guns = more suicides. Aren't suicidal thoughts supposed to be red flags for mental problems? However, with no conclusive link between video games and violent behavior, I'm left to conclude the politicians are only interested in finding a scapegoat and increased revenue for their states.

im trying to find you the link i saw before but im not coming up with one. i swear there were others that tried that got overturned
#17 Posted by Sphensen (735 posts) -

They're always looking for a new tax they can impose, The Government spends like a teenage valley girl at the Mall so they need more money