Game Reviews and Political Correctness

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Before I ask the obvious question I want to expand on this a little for everyone to be on the same page.

What is political correctness? The definition from a Google search:

"the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against."

So I found this video through the #gamergate hashtag on Roger Ebert's stance on political correctness in Film Criticism. Ebert believes that when you push political correctness in a review you're doing ventriloquism. Because films from an artistic perspective are supposed to break boundaries and not stay within the margins of what's socially acceptable just for the sake of not being offensive.

So with the recent raise of social criticism in games like for example: Bayonetta 2's 7.5/10 review on Polygon because they think the game objectifies women due to the "male gaze" and stuff. Then we have the former game reviewers at Gamespot, Carolyn Petit and Tom MCshea, known for rating games based on their believes on what is "socially" right and wrong within it... What is your stance in all of this?

-----------------

From my point of view games are art and as an artistic expression they shouldn't be censored. Not even games like Hatred for its mindblowing violence or the sexual elements in God of War. I believe in game developers making the games they want to make and not on what is being pushed on them by social justice warriors and narrow minded reviewers.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Gue1: don't bother, this is going to get locked dude. They don't want us to talk about this here

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

In before lock.

Just to make this clear: reviewers are not censoring videogames, neither are they avoiding the arguably controversial topics (which is what the stated definition suggests). The way I see it, this has nothing to do with reviewers being politically correct (in this particular context it seems that being politically correct actually means avoiding the discussion of sexism or whatever, because the moment it is discussed a lot of gamers feel attacked and offended). This seems to be about reviewers implementing an arguably strong personal opinion in a review. For me that's not a problem, because I like personal views on games (if they're illustrated by clear examples and eloquently written). There are more than enough reviews out there to compensate for whatever lack of more general information there might be in such a review (and frankly, most of those reviews still provide plenty of general information). Besides, when placed in the right perspective and considering the proper context a strong personal opinion can actually be very informative (to me, at least).

I agree that art shouldn't be censored, but criticism should also not be censored. When you make art publicly available you've got to accept that everybody might have an opinion on it. Also, not being critical or limiting when it comes to art might result in a blatant expression of some -ism being labeled art by the creator, which would make it instantly untouchable. The line between what is art and what is not is very, very, very vague, so we'll have these discussions as long as humanity exists. Saying art shouldn't be censored is a bit of an empty statement in that regard, but well...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43933 Posts

I have no problem with reviewers stating their opinions on these kinds of things in their reviews. I'll use my own personal judgment on if these things affect my experience with the game and to what degree.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Reviewers can use editorials for their political views.

A review is a review and should be rid of any personal political bias and should be a neutral view on the game itself, not a political piece where you learn about the critics world opinions.

Its not really that hard.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

A review should tell us gamers about the story, gameplay and graphics of the game, reviewers should keep their opinions on sex and violence in a game to themselves.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Last_Ride

@Gue1: put your own personal bias in an editorial or blog. Don't put it in the review

cablemodemx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 cablemodemx2
Member since 2003 • 1000 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Gue1: put your own personal bias in an editorial or blog. Don't put it in the review

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

In a review the writer opinion is the least important part of the review. Their justification is important. Those justification should done for the the game.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Last_Ride

@wiouds said:

In a review the writer opinion is the least important part of the review. Their justification is important. Those justification should done for the the game.

That's why crap like feminism, poltics or religious crap should not be included in the review

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

-

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiouds

@The_Last_Ride said:

@wiouds said:

That's why crap like feminism, poltics or religious crap should not be included in the review

You can not just remove your viewpoint but you should be more reasonable with it.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

what are you people looking for in a review if not an opinion on the game?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride

@wiouds said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@wiouds said:

You can not just remove your viewpoint but you should be more reasonable with it.

You can not remove it from yourself, but you can remove it from the review

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

^ This exactly...reviewer is there to inform me about the game..not their own personal bias/moral standard.

@Silverbond Tell me what the game entails..what you do in the game..etc They don't need to tell me whether it disgust them or they agree or don't agree with it & put a label on it by their own moral standards. I will decide that for myself. :P

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wiouds

@The_Last_Ride said:

@wiouds said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@wiouds said:

What if they are uncomfortable with something and it hurts their enjoyment game? Should they lie about it?

What I am saying they need to rate the game (their opinion) and they use what is apart of the game in a reasonable way to explain why the score is as it is. A review should not be their soapbox but they can point out think they feel within a reasonable way.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@wiouds: Too fucking bad, if you're christian should you deny to treat people because you are against them or it offends your beliefs? Hell fucking no. You do your job and let your bias not effect your job

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wiouds

@The_Last_Ride said:

@wiouds: Too fucking bad, if you're christian should you deny to treat people because you are against them or it offends your beliefs? Hell fucking no. You do your job and let your bias not effect your job

So they are not to give a honesty opinion about the game but instead go by some social stander as you expect them too?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Kinda reminds me a of few years back when a major review site gave a relatively lackluster score to Command & Conquer: Generals (CCG) because the reviewer found the use of suicide bombers (the GLA) and the killing of civilians distasteful.

It didn't stop me from buying and liking the game.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@wiouds said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@wiouds said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@wiouds said:

What if they are uncomfortable with something and it hurts their enjoyment game? Should they lie about it?

What I am saying they need to rate the game (their opinion) and they use what is apart of the game in a reasonable way to explain why the score is as it is. A review should not be their soapbox but they can point out think they feel within a reasonable way.

If the reviewer seriously disagree with the game that he/she cannot write without moral bias get someone else to review it. :P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Last_Ride

@superbuuman: Well that's my point mate. If they can not stand somehow neutral and justify their reasoning behind the review without bias, then they shouldn't be reviewing games. Polygon did not do a good job with that with the Bayonetta 2 review. Now i might not give it a 10 or 9 personally. But they basicly just pull down the score drastically just because of their objection of the main character. That's bullshit

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

The purpose of a review is to explain why the reviewer enjoyed or disliked the game. If they felt that the game was sexist and that made them not enjoy the game then of course they should mention it.

there is no such thing as a neutral or biasless review. The entire point of a review is the bias.

Podestrians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Podestrians
Member since 2014 • 33 Posts

I read reviews because i want the personal opinion of the person reviewing it. If a reviewer thinks a game is sexist, then that's cool - i may not agree, but i want to hear their reasoning for the claim. For the most part, the reviewer should remove themselves from the review, but when i read a review I read it because I want to hear the opinion of a specific journalist.

Podestrians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Podestrians
Member since 2014 • 33 Posts

I think a lot of it comes down to actually reading the review as opposed to looking at a score. Kevin Van Ord's review of Far Cry 4, for example. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the score, but after reading the review I recognised that the reasons he had for not loving it were not something that would concern me (i dont play a Far Cry game for the Bergmanesque story). It's fine for reviewers to express their reasons for disliking a game. If those reasons dont concern you, it's easy to make a judgement

SaintsRowLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 SaintsRowLA
Member since 2013 • 331 Posts

When you add the word 'political' to the word correct, then correct is no longer correct.

If there's ever an incident involving a black man and a white man or police officer, the black man is always innocent and the white guy is also always guilty no matter what.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wiouds

@The_Last_Ride said:

@superbuuman: Well that's my point mate. If they can not stand somehow neutral and justify their reasoning behind the review without bias, then they shouldn't be reviewing games. Polygon did not do a good job with that with the Bayonetta 2 review. Now i might not give it a 10 or 9 personally. But they basicly just pull down the score drastically just because of their objection of the main character. That's bullshit

So they must have guidelines on how they must write a review. Let call these guidelines something. I know lets talk about what you are talking about something like political correctness.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Ebert was right. A review is supposed to be relevant to the largest number of readers possible. If you allow it to be influenced by your own personal political, moral or religious views, it only becomes relevant to people who share your very particular set of morals. In that case you are not a reviewer, you're a blogger.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Honestly I don't have a problem with it. I think in, say the original GTAV review, the criticism about its portrayal of women was completely justified.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Honestly I don't have a problem with it. I think in, say the original GTAV review, the criticism about its portrayal of women was completely justified.

Yeah, people call it "bias" when they don't agree with the stated opinion, but when they -do- agree with the opinion then that opinion is fair game.

-Byshop

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 turtlethetaffer

@Byshop said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Yeah, people call it "bias" when they don't agree with the stated opinion, but when they -do- agree with the opinion then that opinion is fair game.

-Byshop

Yup I've noticed that too. I do think that sometimes reviewers get way too out of hand with the PC stuff but you shouldn't immediately dismiss a criticism because you happen to disagree with it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#32 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 68936 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Reviewers can use editorials for their political views.

A review is a review and should be rid of any personal political bias and should be a neutral view on the game itself, not a political piece where you learn about the critics world opinions.

Its not really that hard.

Such awful logic that is devoid of reality. ALL reviews are opinion based. If you don't like that person's opinion look elsewhere. What it really boils down to is that the people who are making a big uproar about this political correctness are offended by the fact that someone views does not align with theirs. In the real world you will simply learn to get over it. :)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Yup I've noticed that too. I do think that sometimes reviewers get way too out of hand with the PC stuff but you shouldn't immediately dismiss a criticism because you happen to disagree with it.

That's what happened with the Caroline review of GTA5. I discussed that review with a -lot- of people on this forum, and I didn't encounter a single person who was upset about the review who didn't also basically not give a crap if the game was sexist or not. I didn't meet a single person who was of the opinion "yeah, I agree with Caroline's point of view but I don't think that kind of information belongs in a review". Every detractor I met were males who made it clear that they don't care if games are sexist, and ironically these are the people who complain about too much "personal bias".

-Byshop

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro

@The_Last_Ride said:

@wiouds said:

Ah shut up. Politics, feminism and religion are already rooted in games. You can pretend that games don't dive into that area but you would be lying. If you don't like the review don't freaking read it. You are never obligated to read said reviews. You are just pissy that some reviews bring up topics that you disagree with or make you feel uncomfortable.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@The_Last_Ride said:

A reviewers jobs is to state their take/perspective on the game. So they are doing their job. In your opinion; like theirs, you believe they are not doing their job correctly but in reality you simply don't understand the nature of reviews.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wiouds

@Pedro: They have the right to their opinion but they need to be reasonable about it. There is a different between I am uncomfortable with how she is shown and the game objectifies women due to the "male gaze".

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Last_Ride

@Pedro: what the hell are you talking about? I never stated games had not those parts, but a review should not. Learn the difference if you're going to tell me to shut up... No i am not pissy, i am frustrated that some reviewers don't do their job... Make some good arguments before you dismiss me...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@wiouds said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So they must have guidelines on how they must write a review. Let call these guidelines something. I know lets talk about what you are talking about something like political correctness.

Just watch the GTA V review from Petit, there's not need for that pc crap

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jacanuk

@Pedro said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@wiouds said:

Ah shut up. Politics, feminism and religion are already rooted in games. You can pretend that games don't dive into that area but you would be lying. If you don't like the review don't freaking read it. You are never obligated to read said reviews. You are just pissy that some reviews bring up topics that you disagree with or make you feel uncomfortable.

What a post of utter nonsense. In fact what is happening is that you as the spectator suddenly decide that you know better than the artist. And want your interpretation of the artists work to be the only one valid.

And that is also what Carolyn did and many other reviewers do, They are disregarding what the "artist" ie the developer wanted to show with their work and substituting it with their own and in a way taking ownership of the game. Like the video says they are doing ventriloquism.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk: exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wiouds

@Jacanuk said:

And that is also what Carolyn did and many other reviewers do, They are disregarding what the "artist" ie the developer wanted to show with their work and substituting it with their own and in a way taking ownership of the game. Like the video says they are doing ventriloquism.

I hate it when someone tries to claim what the developer intended is important. It put it as on of the most stupid comment someone can make.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jacanuk

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

I hate it when someone tries to claim what the developer intended is important. It put it as on of the most stupid comment someone can make.

Yes your comment is one of the stupidest things i have heard on gamespot.

First of all you not only disregard that video games can be art and hold it back, but you also belittle the developers and what they wanted to show with their work.

So infact you are the reason games have such a hard time growing up and becoming accepted, its kinda sad to witness.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wiouds

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

First of all you not only disregard that video games can be art and hold it back, but you also belittle the developers and what they wanted to show with their work.

So infact you are the reason games have such a hard time growing up and becoming accepted, its kinda sad to witness.

I am not the one that allow poor games to get away with being that way because an artist intended something. I refuse to allow myself to be bias by what the developers wanted to show. I am going to judge games for what they are. I am not going to give a game a pass because it has artistic. Adding what they intended into the review is no different than adding political view into the game.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 turtlethetaffer

@Byshop said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

That's what happened with the Caroline review of GTA5. I discussed that review with a -lot- of people on this forum, and I didn't encounter a single person who was upset about the review who didn't also basically not give a crap if the game was sexist or not. I didn't meet a single person who was of the opinion "yeah, I agree with Caroline's point of view but I don't think that kind of information belongs in a review". Every detractor I met were males who made it clear that they don't care if games are sexist, and ironically these are the people who complain about too much "personal bias".

-Byshop

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. The big disagreement is always "Leave politics out of this!" But it's honestly a legitimate criticism to me and should belong in a review because the game almost prides itself on being a satire. The issue is that it doesn't quite satirize so much as it mocks, so I think it's entirely appropriate.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43933 Posts

@toast_burner said:

The purpose of a review is to explain why the reviewer enjoyed or disliked the game. If they felt that the game was sexist and that made them not enjoy the game then of course they should mention it.

there is no such thing as a neutral or biasless review. The entire point of a review is the bias.

Exactly. I want to know these aspects of the game and how they made the reviewer feel while playing the game. This is very important to me because I may or may not feel the same way. I'd be very upset if I bought a game that contain elements that repulsed me enough to the point where I didn't enjoy the game and no reviewer mentioned it.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

@toast_burner said:

I disagree. The purpose of a review isn't for the reviewer to tell you if he liked the game; anyone can do that. The purpose of a professional review is to help you know if you will like the game. Ebert put it well in the video above... that even if the reviewer gave the subject a bad rating, the point is that the reader could still tell from the description if he will like it.

This could defend the Polygon review. I didn't read it myself as I'm boycotting Polygon, but if the review itself could allow the reader to understand that he'll like the game more than the reviewer because he (the reader) has no aversion to sexualized females, then the review has done its job. Even if the game didn't get as great an overall score, if the person reading it can tell from the description if he will like it, that's all that's necessary.

Yes, I may be defending Polygon, I know. But I have to be fair. The game got tons of great scores on its own, so a few marginally good scores to represent the minority of gamers that don't like hyper-sexual female protagonists isn't going to hurt anyone... and may in fact help the aggregate scores be more representative of overall reception.

There may not be such thing as a neutral review, alright, but the reviewer has the obligation to try to allow the reader to decide for himself.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jacanuk

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

I am not the one that allow poor games to get away with being that way because an artist intended something. I refuse to allow myself to be bias by what the developers wanted to show. I am going to judge games for what they are. I am not going to give a game a pass because it has artistic. Adding what they intended into the review is no different than adding political view into the game.

So because you don't like a game , games should not be considered art? That is some statement.

Also i am not saying that a game shouldn't be pointed out as bad, what i am saying is that critics should focus on the game and not put their own personal agenda into it and also not try to make the game theirs but disregarding the developers intent.

A critic has no right to take ownership of a game, the game is that developers artistic view and should be respected as such. After all if you dont like Mona Lisa, you dont run up and paint a huge red nose on it, if you felt that would improve the painting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@elheber said:

@toast_burner said:

I disagree. The purpose of a review isn't for the reviewer to tell you if he liked the game; anyone can do that. The purpose of a professional review is to help you know if you will like the game. Ebert put it well in the video above... that even if the reviewer gave the subject a bad rating, the point is that the reader could still tell from the description if he will like it.

This could defend the Polygon review. I didn't read it myself as I'm boycotting Polygon, but if the review itself could allow the reader to understand that he'll like the game more than the reviewer because he (the reader) has no aversion to sexualized females, then the review has done its job. Even if the game didn't get as great an overall score, if the person reading it can tell from the description if he will like it, that's all that's necessary.

Yes, I may be defending Polygon, I know. But I have to be fair. The game got tons of great scores on its own, so a few marginally good scores to represent the minority of gamers that don't like hyper-sexual female protagonists isn't going to hurt anyone... and may in fact help the aggregate scores be more representative of overall reception.

There may not be such thing as a neutral review, alright, but the reviewer has the obligation to try to allow the reader to decide for himself.

And how does a reviewer know what you would like? The point in a review is that we can tell whether we will like the game by comparing our views to the reviewers. If a reviews main complaint is the art style, but you don't much care for art then even though the review may be negative you can still tell from it that you may enjoy the game. So yes a review is just explaining why they liked a game, however it is done in enough detail that you can form your own opinion from it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#49  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I used to be one of the many people that were upset with Carolyn's mention of GTA V's misogyny... until I realized how easy it was to ignore that bit of criticism, and that's what it all boils down to. She can say "The world is massive... the gameplay is fantastic.... the characters awesome... the graphics are impressive...." but when she mentions "the game is misogynistic", if that doesn't matter to you, ignore it.

Also, it is her right to state that if that's how she feels about the game. As much as I don't want to say it, it's even Arthur Gies' right to slam Bayonetta 2 for the supposed "sexism", if that's what he really thought the game was about. The very essence of a review is subjectivity, because no one will agree on everything said in reviews. That's why we have SO MANY different reviews out there. We know what we want to hear about from reviews regarding games that we're interested in, so we shouldn't let the PC BS bother us. I can guarantee you that there won't be a reviewer alive that won't mention how sick the subject of Hatred makes them feel, yet they're still going to talk about how good or bad the actual game is. If playing a game where all you do is slaughter innocents doesn't affect, then someone's criticism of that subject matter shouldn't affect you either.

By the way, Mark Walton reviewed the Xbox One and PS4 versions of GTA V and gave it a 9, same as Caroyln, without a single mention of misogyny, so whether or not Carolyn's score was affected by the content is somewhat of a moot point.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jacanuk

@JustPlainLucas said:

I used to be one of the many people that were upset with Carolyn's mention of GTA V's misogyny... until I realized how easy it was to ignore that bit of criticism, and that's what it all boils down to. She can say "The world is massive... the gameplay is fantastic.... the characters awesome... the graphics are impressive...." but when she mentions "the game is misogynistic", if that doesn't matter to you, ignore it.

Also, it is her right to state that if that's how she feels about the game. As much as I don't want to say it, it's even Arthur Gies' right to slam Bayonetta 2 for the supposed "sexism", if that's what he really thought the game was about. The very essence of a review is subjectivity, because no one will agree on everything said in reviews. That's why we have SO MANY different reviews out there. We know what we want to hear about from reviews regarding games that we're interested in, so we shouldn't let the PC BS bother us. I can guarantee you that there won't be a reviewer alive that won't mention how sick the subject of Hatred makes them feel, yet they're still going to talk about how good or bad the actual game is. If playing a game where all you do is slaughter innocents doesn't affect, then someone's criticism of that subject matter shouldn't affect you either.

Of course we can ignore it but Carolyns GTA V review isn't the problem its just a symptom on a much bigger problem with the way some critics particular american critics seem to think that its ok to play ventriloquists and take ownership of other peoples work. And also use their status as a way of pushing the ultra-left wing propaganda.