Game Remakes vs Movie Remakes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ptrpedrohung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 ptrpedrohung
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

so they are gonna make a Citizen Kane remake starring Keanu Reeves. I really hope this plan falls through, because this is both redundant and cashgrabbing. I saw the Orsen Welles original only a couple of months ago and I'm still in awe of how fresh and compelling it was, despite the black and white color and the 1950's way of talking. Citizen Kane is a truly timeless piece of art and it doesn't need to be remade to pander to a modern audience.

At the same time a reboot of Outcast is announced. I've never played or even heard of the game before. After looking it up, the game seemed to be a truly visionary work back in the 90's. The problem is that I can't simply experience the original like I do with Citizen Kane, because of the aged graphics and mechanics is probably going to turn me off. Not to mention the chore of making it compatible with my MacBook Pro. I tried to play Grim Fandango this way and just gave up because it just didn't work.

On the other hand if this project does succeed, big companies might be rushing to make a bunch of game remakes as a cheap way to capitalize on things that already worked in the past. This might stifle any attempt at progress.

What do you think? Are you optimistic about the impending trend of video game remakes? and would that be something that's gonna recur a lot since our technology is also advancing at the speed of light?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

The way I see it, Remakes are tough to make since they need to match or even surpass the original in nearly every aspect.

As a result it's a very large leap between success and failure.

I do not dislike remakes but I'll also say I'm apprehensive of them, even more so if it's regarding a movie or game I truely enjoy the original of. As far as videogames go in this aspect, I think many would learn a thing or two if they viewed the original Resident Evil game and then took a long look at Resident Evil Remake for the Gamecube. That is in my opinion a clear example of a Remake success.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

I love remakes myself so I'm all for them.