Game of Thrones game will not be a prequel

#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72286 posts) -

The new Telltale games will not be a prequel, but will run alongside the series. Here is what they had to say about it.

Telltale CEO Dan Connors spoke with Digital Trends regarding the project and its adaptation of the story and characters in Westeros:

“It’s not a prequel. I think the show provides a timeline, but the world is huge.”

“There’s so much going on and it’s so rich. Every decision that King Joffrey makes impacts so many people. Any microcosm in that world [looking at how] people are affected by the decisions that are made plays out across the whole thing. The show does a great job of interpreting George R.R. Martin’s work, and his work provides a huge dictionary of knowledge about what the franchise is. It’s really a dream to sit down and say, ‘What’s our space in this world? Where are we in this world?’ And the world offers you so much to explore.”

Game of Thrones is currently set to debut in 2014: stay tuned for more details, in the meantime.

Link

#2 Posted by bowchicka07 (1075 posts) -

I haven't played any Telltale games yet but I've heard great things. I like the Walking Dead and the Wolf Among Us seems appealing.

Now I hear they are doing a Game of Thrones and Borderlands.

About time to hop on the Telltale bandwagon I guess.

A prequel would be very interesting but I think it running along side the series would be easier on them.

I prefer they stuck to the book more than the show. Not that the show did a bad job but they did change quite a bit of particular details.

#3 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7323 posts) -

This game is going to be awesome.

#4 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

It seems like a weird decision to make the game concurrent with the main story. the books and the show already explore the consequences of the big events and you can't really make other big events because you're working in the confines of an existing story (on that got even more composed once the TV show got through with it).

it reminds me a bit of the EA lord of the rings games we were getting in the ps2/gcn/xbox generation. the developers had this giant world with ages of history to work with, but they all confined themselves to working within a narrow story because EA only had a license for the films rather than the books and all their annals. i wonder if telltale has similar restrictions with their game.

#5 Posted by Ish_basic (4029 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament said:

It seems like a weird decision to make the game concurrent with the main story. the books and the show already explore the consequences of the big events and you can't really make other big events because you're working in the confines of an existing story (on that got even more composed once the TV show got through with it).

it reminds me a bit of the EA lord of the rings games we were getting in the ps2/gcn/xbox generation. the developers had this giant world with ages of history to work with, but they all confined themselves to working within a narrow story because EA only had a license for the films rather than the books and all their annals. i wonder if telltale has similar restrictions with their game.

I have a little more confidence in Tell Tale than EA.

Feast for Crows Westeros is ripe for a standalone story with a lawless countryside and the emergence of a Templar-esque faction. In that space you can create a very impactful story that doesn't affect the larger politics because of how disconnected everything is after the events of Storm of Swords from the Red Wedding on (aka, Season 4).

The other GoT game is concurrent with the first season/book and that story was pretty good.

#6 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:

It seems like a weird decision to make the game concurrent with the main story. the books and the show already explore the consequences of the big events and you can't really make other big events because you're working in the confines of an existing story (on that got even more composed once the TV show got through with it).

it reminds me a bit of the EA lord of the rings games we were getting in the ps2/gcn/xbox generation. the developers had this giant world with ages of history to work with, but they all confined themselves to working within a narrow story because EA only had a license for the films rather than the books and all their annals. i wonder if telltale has similar restrictions with their game.

I have a little more confidence in Tell Tale than EA.

Feast for Crows Westeros is ripe for a standalone story with a lawless countryside and the emergence of a Templar-esque faction. In that space you can create a very impactful story that doesn't affect the larger politics because of how disconnected everything is after the events of Storm of Swords from the Red Wedding on (aka, Season 4).

The other GoT game is concurrent with the first season/book and that story was pretty good.

i don't know how disconnected the series gets after the red wedding. i mean, the purple wedding is the purple wedding. they can't add a new character to it or anything. they also can't make some other world changing event either. it just seems like setting a new story during the time of the novels will automatically make it feel secondary.

#7 Posted by Ish_basic (4029 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament said:

@Ish_basic said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:

It seems like a weird decision to make the game concurrent with the main story. the books and the show already explore the consequences of the big events and you can't really make other big events because you're working in the confines of an existing story (on that got even more composed once the TV show got through with it).

it reminds me a bit of the EA lord of the rings games we were getting in the ps2/gcn/xbox generation. the developers had this giant world with ages of history to work with, but they all confined themselves to working within a narrow story because EA only had a license for the films rather than the books and all their annals. i wonder if telltale has similar restrictions with their game.

I have a little more confidence in Tell Tale than EA.

Feast for Crows Westeros is ripe for a standalone story with a lawless countryside and the emergence of a Templar-esque faction. In that space you can create a very impactful story that doesn't affect the larger politics because of how disconnected everything is after the events of Storm of Swords from the Red Wedding on (aka, Season 4).

The other GoT game is concurrent with the first season/book and that story was pretty good.

i don't know how disconnected the series gets after the red wedding. i mean, the purple wedding is the purple wedding. they can't add a new character to it or anything. they also can't make some other world changing event either. it just seems like setting a new story during the time of the novels will automatically make it feel secondary.

what I mean be "disconnected" is that the countryside is absolutely lawless and the church is slowing filling in the vacuum with hedge knights answering their call. Anything happening in this space wouldn't resonate in the political spheres of Westeros, making it a perfect setting for a story as it won't directly interfere with the main storyline.

This landscape comes about because of and directly following the events of the Storm of Swords novel (book 3). Season 3 and 4 of the show cover this novel, with the Red Wedding coming about half way in the book. So basically a game set in this period would be concurrent with book 4.

Stories don't have to be world changing to be good. Part of the problem with videogame narratives is this assumption that a narrative can't be good if it's not epic. Just something about a knight trying to redeem himself in the aftermath of and amidst all the death following the War of Five Kings would be interesting. Feast for Crows takes readers away from the courts, castles and the feasting to see how this conflict has effected the common man...there's a lot of room for story there.

#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72286 posts) -

i have really high hopes for this game

#9 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:

@Ish_basic said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:

It seems like a weird decision to make the game concurrent with the main story. the books and the show already explore the consequences of the big events and you can't really make other big events because you're working in the confines of an existing story (on that got even more composed once the TV show got through with it).

it reminds me a bit of the EA lord of the rings games we were getting in the ps2/gcn/xbox generation. the developers had this giant world with ages of history to work with, but they all confined themselves to working within a narrow story because EA only had a license for the films rather than the books and all their annals. i wonder if telltale has similar restrictions with their game.

I have a little more confidence in Tell Tale than EA.

Feast for Crows Westeros is ripe for a standalone story with a lawless countryside and the emergence of a Templar-esque faction. In that space you can create a very impactful story that doesn't affect the larger politics because of how disconnected everything is after the events of Storm of Swords from the Red Wedding on (aka, Season 4).

The other GoT game is concurrent with the first season/book and that story was pretty good.

i don't know how disconnected the series gets after the red wedding. i mean, the purple wedding is the purple wedding. they can't add a new character to it or anything. they also can't make some other world changing event either. it just seems like setting a new story during the time of the novels will automatically make it feel secondary.

what I mean be "disconnected" is that the countryside is absolutely lawless and the church is slowing filling in the vacuum with hedge knights answering their call. Anything happening in this space wouldn't resonate in the political spheres of Westeros, making it a perfect setting for a story as it won't directly interfere with the main storyline.

This landscape comes about because of and directly following the events of the Storm of Swords novel (book 3). Season 3 and 4 of the show cover this novel, with the Red Wedding coming about half way in the book. So basically a game set in this period would be concurrent with book 4.

Stories don't have to be world changing to be good. Part of the problem with videogame narratives is this assumption that a narrative can't be good if it's not epic. Just something about a knight trying to redeem himself in the aftermath of and amidst all the death following the War of Five Kings would be interesting. Feast for Crows takes readers away from the courts, castles and the feasting to see how this conflict has effected the common man...there's a lot of room for story there.

i'm not saying every story has to be this big world changing event. i'm saying that stories in this particular world are. martin has a very specific vision of fantasy involving high stakes and big melodramatic shifts. there's a reason why he didn't make the entire story about a few commoners in a remote fishing village. for all the claims of realism, he's a romantic at heart.

so it already has to deal with that, then it has to work within the confines of an existing story. it might end up being good, but telltale are stacking the deck against themselves.

#10 Posted by Byshop (11615 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament said:

i'm not saying every story has to be this big world changing event. i'm saying that stories in this particular world are. martin has a very specific vision of fantasy involving high stakes and big melodramatic shifts. there's a reason why he didn't make the entire story about a few commoners in a remote fishing village. for all the claims of realism, he's a romantic at heart.

so it already has to deal with that, then it has to work within the confines of an existing story. it might end up being good, but telltale are stacking the deck against themselves.

Yeah, but it's the rich characters that make it good. Besides, even in the context of the other large events there is a lot to work with. The other towers of The Wall that get manned, Robb's other various bannermen that were underrepresented in the series, other Kahls of other Dothraki tribes, etc. I'm not saying that any of these are specifically good ideas to use for a setting or settings, but there's a lot to work with.

In TWD comic, series, and game, nothing happens on a grand scale. It's all about survival on a very personal level and it still works very well. The key is in the writing far more than the events themselves. GRRM was involved in the creation of pretty much every GoT franchise released so I'm hopeful he'll be heavily involved in what will likely be a VERY story oriented game. Only complaint there is it takes even MORE FREAKIN' TIME AWAY FROM THE RELEASE OF BOOK SIX! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!

I'm okay now...

-Byshop

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

Will there Be Boobs and stuff ?

#12 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18511 posts) -

@Byshop said:

GRRM was involved in the creation of pretty much every GoT franchise released so I'm hopeful he'll be heavily involved in what will likely be a VERY story oriented game. Only complaint there is it takes even MORE FREAKIN' TIME AWAY FROM THE RELEASE OF BOOK SIX! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!

I'm okay now...

-Byshop

G.R.R.M.'s involvement is less significant than you may think: he writes the screenplay for one episode per season and as far as I know he never had anything to do with the videogames aside from some brief voice work for one of them. He's simply and by his own admission a slow, perfectionist writer, which is why the books take such a long time.

#13 Posted by Byshop (11615 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Byshop said:

GRRM was involved in the creation of pretty much every GoT franchise released so I'm hopeful he'll be heavily involved in what will likely be a VERY story oriented game. Only complaint there is it takes even MORE FREAKIN' TIME AWAY FROM THE RELEASE OF BOOK SIX! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!

I'm okay now...

-Byshop

G.R.R.M.'s involvement is less significant than you may think: he writes the screenplay for one episode per season and as far as I know he never had anything to do with the videogames aside from some brief voice work for one of them. He's simply and by his own admission a slow, perfectionist writer, which is why the books take such a long time.

I remember watching a "making of" video of the RPG where they commented on GRRM's involvment in making sure the story was in alignment with his vision. Regarding the series, it was my impression that while he doesn't do much directly screenplay writing he provides guidance to make sure the episodes don't deviate too far from his vision of the book sas well as what he has planned for the future. Also, they consult him on the major changes from the books (he was involved in the creation of Talisa Maegyr to replace Jeyne Westerling as Robb's wife when their attempts to flesh out the character from what little she was described in the book started to deviate too much) and in some cases the changes made for the show reflect changes that he himself in retrospect would have liked to have done in the books. I can't find it, but my wife told me about an article she read that if the show ends up passing the books (an increasingly real danger) that GRRM was going to lay out the his plans for all the characters to the showrunners.

-Byshop

#14 Edited by Ish_basic (4029 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Byshop said:

GRRM was involved in the creation of pretty much every GoT franchise released so I'm hopeful he'll be heavily involved in what will likely be a VERY story oriented game. Only complaint there is it takes even MORE FREAKIN' TIME AWAY FROM THE RELEASE OF BOOK SIX! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!

I'm okay now...

-Byshop

G.R.R.M.'s involvement is less significant than you may think: he writes the screenplay for one episode per season and as far as I know he never had anything to do with the videogames aside from some brief voice work for one of them. He's simply and by his own admission a slow, perfectionist writer, which is why the books take such a long time.

Evil incarnate is what he is. You don't end a book like he ended Dance with Dragons when you know damn well you're not going to release the next one for another five years or so.

For those of you that haven't read DwD, here's the spoiler free summary of the ending:

#15 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18511 posts) -

@Byshop said:

I remember watching a "making of" video of the RPG where they commented on GRRM's involvment in making sure the story was in alignment with his vision. Regarding the series, it was my impression that while he doesn't do much directly screenplay writing he provides guidance to make sure the episodes don't deviate too far from his vision of the book sas well as what he has planned for the future. Also, they consult him on the major changes from the books (he was involved in the creation of Talisa Maegyr to replace Jeyne Westerling as Robb's wife when their attempts to flesh out the character from what little she was described in the book started to deviate too much) and in some cases the changes made for the show reflect changes that he himself in retrospect would have liked to have done in the books. I can't find it, but my wife told me about an article she read that if the show ends up passing the books (an increasingly real danger) that GRRM was going to lay out the his plans for all the characters to the showrunners.

-Byshop

Much of that is marketing blurb though ("Martin himself has workied on this game!" most likely meaning he or one of his editors gave a quick read to the script and gave his nihil obstat).

As for the show, I remember reading what you said as well, actually I think he talked about it in his "Authors @Google" interview (it's on yotube). I'm ok with that, though if it came down to it, he would likely be less involved in the show as he is now, since he doesn't want his vision to be influenced by fans speculations, let alone a TV show based on things he didn't write yet.

#16 Posted by Ish_basic (4029 posts) -

@Byshop: Also, they consult him on the major changes from the books (he was involved in the creation of Talisa Maegyr to replace Jeyne Westerling as Robb's wife when their attempts to flesh out the character from what little she was described in the book started to deviate too much) and in some cases the changes made for the show reflect changes that he himself in retrospect would have liked to have done in the books. I can't find it, but my wife told me about an article she read that if the show ends up passing the books (an increasingly real danger) that GRRM was going to lay out the his plans for all the characters to the showrunners.

I hated that change. It just feels like they saw an opportunity for a love story they could sell to the masses and went with it. Robb's death in the book parallels his father's quite nicely - a fate he brings entirely on himself because of that damnable Stark honor....not love. The original relationship feels more...medieval. Robb and Talisa feels more Hollywood. But they managed to squeak it in there in a such a way as to avoid changing anything else about what ultimately happens there, so that's good.

Also...no way GRRM is beating the series to the conclusion unless the show takes a few years off. GRRM's publisher said in January via twitter that the next book isn't coming before 2015. The final two books are expected to be around 1500 pages each. No fucking way is GRRM writing 3000 pages in five years.

#17 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18511 posts) -
@Ish_basic said:

Evil incarnate is what he is. You don't end a book like he ended Dance with Dragons when you know damn well you're not going to release the next one for another five years or so.

For those of you that haven't read DwD, here's the spoiler free summary of the ending:

Oh come on it's not too difficult to predict what's going to happen concerning that particular character ;)

Though I won't say more here to avoid spoilers for people. We have a spoiler-heavy thread on another forum where we discuss the books. I can PM you a link if you're interested in joining.

#18 Posted by Byshop (11615 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

@Byshop: Also, they consult him on the major changes from the books (he was involved in the creation of Talisa Maegyr to replace Jeyne Westerling as Robb's wife when their attempts to flesh out the character from what little she was described in the book started to deviate too much) and in some cases the changes made for the show reflect changes that he himself in retrospect would have liked to have done in the books. I can't find it, but my wife told me about an article she read that if the show ends up passing the books (an increasingly real danger) that GRRM was going to lay out the his plans for all the characters to the showrunners.

I hated that change. It just feels like they saw an opportunity for a love story they could sell to the masses and went with it. Robb's death in the book parallels his father's quite nicely - a fate he brings entirely on himself because of that damnable Stark honor....not love. The original relationship feels more...medieval. Robb and Talisa feels more Hollywood. But they managed to squeak it in there in a such a way as to avoid changing anything else about what ultimately happens there, so that's good.

Also...no way GRRM is beating the series to the conclusion unless the show takes a few years off. GRRM's publisher said in January via twitter that the next book isn't coming before 2015. The final two books are expected to be around 1500 pages each. No fucking way is GRRM writing 3000 pages in five years.

Yeah, it was a weird change to invent a whole new character. Jeyne Westerling was really not fleshed out at all in the book, except for the elements where it was strongly hinted that Tywin orchestrated the whole thing to force Robb into this position with the Freys that eventually lead to the Red Wedding, and how she was being given Moon Tea disguised as fertility tea to keep her from getting pregnant with an heir.

Yes, the relationship was a bit cheesy in the show, but at least it had the additional impact during the Red Wedding of her being stabbed in the belly first before all the horrible shit from the book ended up happening. Plus I can really understand the idea of them wanting to explore the character of Robb's wife more than the book did.

-Byshop

#19 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:

i'm not saying every story has to be this big world changing event. i'm saying that stories in this particular world are. martin has a very specific vision of fantasy involving high stakes and big melodramatic shifts. there's a reason why he didn't make the entire story about a few commoners in a remote fishing village. for all the claims of realism, he's a romantic at heart.

so it already has to deal with that, then it has to work within the confines of an existing story. it might end up being good, but telltale are stacking the deck against themselves.

Yeah, but it's the rich characters that make it good. Besides, even in the context of the other large events there is a lot to work with. The other towers of The Wall that get manned, Robb's other various bannermen that were underrepresented in the series, other Kahls of other Dothraki tribes, etc. I'm not saying that any of these are specifically good ideas to use for a setting or settings, but there's a lot to work with.

In TWD comic, series, and game, nothing happens on a grand scale. It's all about survival on a very personal level and it still works very well. The key is in the writing far more than the events themselves. GRRM was involved in the creation of pretty much every GoT franchise released so I'm hopeful he'll be heavily involved in what will likely be a VERY story oriented game. Only complaint there is it takes even MORE FREAKIN' TIME AWAY FROM THE RELEASE OF BOOK SIX! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!

I'm okay now...

-Byshop

i understand what you're saying that, even though we've already gotten 1 or 2 points of view in major events, there are still other points of view to be explored. however, hopping around to major events of the story with new side characters and following the main characters sounds a lot like LotR: the third age, which tolkien couldn't have salvaged himself. the only way i see telltale giving themselves any kind of room here is for them to set the whole thing in esos, independent from the major events in westeros.

i'm glad you mentioned TWD though, because it's a perfect example of a world without the limitations of ASoIaF. there is almost no possibility of a world changing event that puts restrictions on other stories because nearly every group of survivors is independent of the others. i mean, telltale could have set TWD season 1 in a camp right between the prison and woodbury, but they avoided that sort of thing like the plague because it would have restricted their story. in ASoIaF, pretty much anywhere in westeros would be like setting TWD right between the prison and woodbury.

but yes, WRITE BOOK 6 ALREADY! (i mean...take whatever time you need, george. just make something you're happy with.)

#20 Edited by Ish_basic (4029 posts) -

@Byshop: Plus I can really understand the idea of them wanting to explore the character of Robb's wife more than the book did.

Can't really blame GRRM for that one, considering Robb was at best a peripheral character in the book. He doesn't have chapters from his perspective...mostly he serves as a foil for both Cat and Jaime. So you're cutting out time from your major characters just to make the Red Wedding more soul crushing. I don't honestly think I've heard anyone say Robb was their favorite character while reading the book, but I think he was for a lot of fans of the show.

I suppose there's always gonna be those issues with what is cut and what is added to an adaptation. I miss Tyrion's conversation with Chataya...still one of the my favorite lines in the series: "if I could pray with my cock, I'd be more religious." Not important to the story but I really point to it as the moment I said, "ya know, I liek dis guy."

#21 Posted by Byshop (11615 posts) -

: @LoG-Sacrament: Yeah, while the game will obviously stick to the TWD formula for gameplay, the story of TWD makes for a bad comparison because (like you said) pretty much everything happens only at the character level in TWD. There are no large events anymore.

@Ish_basic: I dunno. Sure, Robb wasn't the most interesting character in the book by far but I wanted to see how far he could go. Jaime and Melissandre were both -extremely- interesting characters even before they got their own perspective chapters in the later books. I also read an interview with GRRM where he said that in retrospect he would have done some Robb chapters if he had the chance to do it again.

-Byshop