Furthest You've Reached Before Losing Your Saved Game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
Last night I got to Turtle Rock in LTTP. It was my first ever playthrough of the game. I shut the game off for a break and I come back to it and I my file is gone. I don't know what happen as I tested saving a new file and it saves. It was quite heart breaking as I've spent a lot of time playing this game on my first play through. So I ask you all here what is the furthest you gotten in a game only to lose your file and have to start the game all over again?
#2 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

I reached the fortress at the end of "Kya: Dark Lineage" after 20+ hours of play. Had a lapse of memory late one evening and forgot that i had to return to the main menu before turning it off.

Next day, predictably my save-file was corrupted (as this game does so easily).

Haven't bothered starting again yet.

#3 Posted by Megavideogamer (5315 posts) -

The final stage on FF7 because Micheal lost my Playstation memory card. This was back in 1998 when FF7 was current.

I didn't lose my save games 'Mike' did. So I kicked his ass. I was pissed off. He did replace the memory card but still at the time it was the end of the world. sigh..

#4 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
I made almost to the end of Xenosaga Episode 1 and our neighborhood had a random power outage in the middle of summer right when I was saving and the file got corrupted. About a one in a million chance and of course that happens to me instead of winning the lottery or something.
#5 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
GTA IV on the PC. My savegames wouldn't work after I reinstalled the game, and I had gone waaay too far in the game to just start over... =\
#6 Posted by andmcq (259 posts) -

20hrs into the full 24hrs around Le Mans 24hr on the Dreamcast before my VMU died :(

#7 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

20hrs into the full 24hrs around Le Mans 24hr on the Dreamcast before my VMU died :(

andmcq

OUCH. I think we have a WINNER, here.

:(

For me, it was "Tiger Woods" (forget which iteration) on the GameCube... Lost everyone's custom golfers, after we'd all made it through the career and leveled/unlocked everything... That was NOT a good day on the ol' tour bus...

#8 Posted by benleslie5 (7766 posts) -

Almost reached the end of Legendary Mode on Halo (Xbox) before my Xbox crashed

#9 Posted by Icepick_Trotter (40 posts) -
This is a warning: Do NOT rely on an external usb flash drive as your main saves storage in a Xbox360. I was a good 75% into GTA IV and 50% into Lost Odyssey when the xbox decided to delete EVERYTHING on the drive. Everything, as if it had just formatted it. I did some reading and found out this happened to other people and never found out the reason; but there it is. I love those 2 games but they're long. Still haven't decided to start again.
#10 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

I was in the middle of playing Shenmue 2 for the first time and had probably about 5-hours of unsaved game I'd just played through when my XBOX decided to freeze up. I was so discouraged and pissed because of it, but only Shenmue could bring me back almost right away and I got to pretty much the same spot before the end of the evening. God I love that game :)

#11 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

Lost Odyssey: Save file corrupted right after I started the final disc.

Condemned 2: Game crashed during an autosave during the final boss fight, about 10 minutes from completion. When I re-started the game, it was as though I had never turned it on before...That one hurt.

Legend of Zelda: A friend of mine and I played through the entire game without dying/saving. During the 8th temple my cat jumped from the top of the TV onto my NES console...froze the game. Bummer, because we were on a freakin' role.

#12 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -

Legend of Zelda, I made it to the 5th dungeon, but I needed to take a break... I saved my game, & press & hold the reset button & then power down. The next day, I turn on the NES & the next thing had happen it lost all my save files... Last time I had played it on the NES, great game & all, but it had a faulty save feature with a gaming system that likes to go in & out...

#13 Posted by Ryagan (484 posts) -

My brothers and I had earned EVERYTHING in Super Smash Bros. Melee, but my frickin' cousins accidentally deleted it all. :x

#14 Posted by Jag85 (4364 posts) -

About 15 hours into FF VIII before the memory card formatted itself.

#15 Posted by nekrothing (387 posts) -

About 15 hours into FF VIII before the memory card formatted itself.Jag85

Your memory card did you a favor.

#16 Posted by Byshop (11138 posts) -

We were trying to unlock Hunk/Tofu in RE2 by doing a Scenario B playthrough with Leon using no saves or health sprays (a requirement for the unlock). I was on the second CD with my health in yellow (but not red) when I got insta-killed by a leaping attack from an offscreen licker.

-Byshop

#17 Posted by BuryMe (22017 posts) -

I don't think I've ever lost a save file.

#18 Posted by Funkyhamster (17366 posts) -
My brother had a 99% save in Star Fox Adventures, at the final boss battle, when our Gamecube memory card got corrupted. We also lost a 200+ hour SSBM save file. We re-unlocked everything in SSBM soon enough, but he still hasn't touched Star Fox.
#19 Posted by tab134 (345 posts) -
ff7, back in the 90's. my save wasn't deleted but might as well have been. i was playing my brothers ff7 off and on for months, it was always over at my grandmas so i only got to play it there. i got to disc 2, and a week or two later i notice the case had been stepped on. on further examination, discs 1 and 3 were cracked. stuck at the end of disc 2 forever, lost memory card/save over time and i just recently finished it a month or two ago.
#20 Posted by Jag85 (4364 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]About 15 hours into FF VIII before the memory card formatted itself.nekrothing

Funny thing is that FF VIII went on to become one of my favourite games in the FF series (along with VI, VII, and X).
#21 Posted by DeafNYCPlayer (2307 posts) -
I played Persona for Playstation about more than 70 hours before my Mega Memory Card killed all of my saved data with Tekken 1-2, Final Fantasy VII, Beyond the Beyond, Wild Arms, Tales of Destiny, Chrono Cross, and Xenogears. I was no longer using my Mega Memory Cards because it killed again for three times. v_v
#22 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
I think the most was getting around Japan in Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, then my save corrupting, but that's it. I know it's happened to me more times, I can't remember any other situation though.
#23 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -

BuryMe
#24 Posted by Valknut4 (392 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]About 15 hours into FF VIII before the memory card formatted itself.nekrothing

Just coming in here to post about how I was in Ultamicias castle all leveled an decked out to the teeth. At the very last save point.... My brother deletes the file an says "I did you a favor" I should have been angry, but right off the get go I knew he was right.

#25 Posted by Jag85 (4364 posts) -

[QUOTE="nekrothing"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]About 15 hours into FF VIII before the memory card formatted itself.Valknut4

Just coming in here to post about how I was in Ultamicias castle all leveled an decked out to the teeth. At the very last save point.... My brother deletes the file an says "I did you a favor" I should have been angry, but right off the get go I knew he was right.

If my brother did that, I would have punched him.
#26 Posted by Allicrombie (25122 posts) -
I remember getting Simon's Quest new and playing til I got to Drac at the end. I'm about to kill him and my cousin comes in and turns off my NES. I start crying and everything, haha. (I was like 5 then I think)
#27 Posted by Valknut4 (392 posts) -

[QUOTE="Valknut4"]

Jag85

Haha, I have an for a lot less, but he made me realize that I was playing it just because it said FF on the cover, not because I was enjoying it.

I remember getting Simon's Quest new and playing til I got to Drac at the end. I'm about to kill him and my cousin comes in and turns off my NES. I start crying and everything, haha. (I was like 5 then I think)Allicrombie

Mad props for doing that when you were 5 dude.

I had just gotten class changes in FF1, like 4 hours of playing and my cat rubbed up aganst the reset button on my nes.. Man I swear he had a smug grin on his face.

#28 Posted by British_Azimio (2452 posts) -

The final stage on FF7 because Micheal lost my Playstation memory card. This was back in 1998 when FF7 was current.

I didn't lose my save games 'Mike' did. So I kicked his ass. I was pissed off. He did replace the memory card but still at the time it was the end of the world. sigh..

Megavideogamer
Reminds me of the time I somehow (can't remember) deleted my older brothers FF7 file, around '98 also. IIRC he was a little further than the Proud Clod battle. He's never beaten it to this day. I feel like such an ass just thinking about it these days.
#29 Posted by Jag85 (4364 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Valknut4"]

Valknut4

Haha, I have an for a lot less, but he made me realize that I was playing it just because it said FF on the cover, not because I was enjoying it.

Even if I wasn't enjoying the game (which I did enjoy, but let's assume I didn't anyway), and I had no inention of even continuing it... I still would have punched him in the face for deleting my save... unless it was an accident, in which case I'd reduce the punishment to a punch on the stomach.

#30 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -

BuryMe
#31 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Back in the day, a bunch of us were handing off the controller playing "Gran Turismo 2" on the PSOne, and after a few hours of beating races and working out set-ups, someone let the dog in and it came racing into the living room very excited, knocking the power cord out of the machine... The screen went dark, and all four of us just sat there for a minute, looking at the blank screen... Mouths agape... We hadn't been saving because we were all too focused on beating the next race, etc., ...

... Then someone yelled "Gah-DEMMIT!!! That dog is DEAD!" and picked up a news paper to roll into a weapon. The dog's life was spared, but only just... He didn't know what he had done. We couldn't hold him responsible. Cute lil' SCAMP...

It's funny now, but at the time, it was catastrophic.

:lol:

That was the event which not only got me on the "Save Early, Save Often" train, but got me into backing up saves as well.

#32 Posted by Apathetic_Prick (4784 posts) -

[QUOTE="Valknut4"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] If my brother did that, I would have punched him.Jag85

Even if I wasn't enjoying the game (which I did enjoy, but let's assume I didn't anyway), and I had no inention of even continuing it... I still would have punched him in the face for deleting my save... unless it was an accident, in which case I'd reduce the punishment to a punch on the stomach.

I would have made my idiot sibling play to that point in the game, at which point I'd continue playing.

When I first got my GBA, I made ap oint of getting Breath of Fire 2 because I'd never beaten it on the SNES. I was right at the end of the game and I'd lent it to a friend to play. Unfortunately, I forgot to do a hard save and was relying on the game's quicksave feature. Well, if you start a game without loading the quicksave, you lose it. I was so pissed. Plus, she'd deleted my back-up save by accident which wasn't too far from from the end.

I've also run into a lot of save corruption playing Shadow Warrior with the SWP port no thanks to its autosave feature. Luckily, I was only 15 minutes into the Wonton Destruction expansion before I figured that out.

#33 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

It's not completely on-topic but slightly related.

A friend of mine bought 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' on the PS1 back in the day. We played it as a team and got to the last question, whereby my friend reset the console saying "I don't want to complete the game just 2 hours after buying it".

He never got to question 15 ever again. :D

#34 Posted by jsmoke03 (12733 posts) -

ff7...i got to the crater where sephiroth was....game erased

#35 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
I lost my save on Pokemon Gold, I played the game every night as a kid for probably 2 years before losing the save. Lots of max level pokemon, all most full pokedex. Still makes me sad thinking about it.
#36 Posted by Jag85 (4364 posts) -

ff7...i got to the crater where sephiroth was....game erased

jsmoke03
Wait... I just remembered that time when my unofficial "compressed" PS1 memory card wiped out all my game saves... I was pissed about losing all my game saves! Can't believe I forgot all about it until now... unless my own memory was erased along with it? o_0
#37 Posted by NodakJo2010 (1060 posts) -

Gran Turismo 4

I got all the Stealth Vehicles (That alone you already needed to spend a ton of time in the game)

In the middle of completing the endurance events...I had around...hmm...something like 700-800 "days" put into the game (1 day=1 race/buying a car)

I just get done testing a new vehicle I won from an event and during the autosave process the power was cut........Memory Corrupted...everything gone.

But my love for GT pushed me through I started all over in that game and took a different direction with the car completion, I made it to the big events faster but I never got far enough to obtain the stealth vehicles ever again.

#38 Posted by sandbox3d (5111 posts) -

I got a PS1 and FFVII on the day it came out. I didn't realize I needed a memory card and didn't have the money for one, but I just kept playing. I just left the system running, figuring I'd get a memory card in a few days. Near the end of disc 1, I left with my mom to get a memory card and my kid sis decided to play (and lose) when we were gone. Surprisingly it wasn't a big deal, I didn't mind replaying it.

Oh and Elder Scrolls games. I dont even try playing them anymore. I've tried Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. Something happens to my saves EVERY TIME. So I just gave up.