From Cracked: 12 Video-Game Annoyances

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

12 Video-Game Annoyances That Need To Die.

So I had some different thoughts after I read that article. One is how truly fucked the industry actually is. That is the thought that I want to focus on here.

First off, it is troubling how overly-socialized gaming is becoming. Good single-player experiences are becoming a thing of the past as multiplayer becomes more commonplace. This troubles me deeply, as I prefer the line between singleplayer and multiplayer to be a fine one, and games like Watch_Dogs and (soon) FarCry 4 and AC Unity are blurring that line.

And I also agree with the writer that exclusives and the constant "system wars" are just ridiculous. Why should different systems have different games? I am not asking why they do, i'm asking why they should. Why restrict players like that?

The writers last criticism is stupid though. Basically, it says that all games have at least one flaw and that games shouldn't even have that many, that they should have no flaws.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I think nostalgia plays a factor in that last one.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#3  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I agree with points #6 and #5, but the others are pretty irrelevant as far as I'm concerned

Platforms need system sellers and exclusives, besides, competition between companies is a great thing for gamers. Don't get me wrong, I would love if everything was multi-platform, but then I'd just stick to PC without any real need for consoles. Sorry for going a bit system wars there.

The rest of the points are about the writer's own immersion; AI, mini games and poorly executed game mechanics don't ruin immersion for me, I'll stick with my suspension of disbelief. After all, most games are escapism at it's best and I'm fully immersed as long as the core game is good

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

So I had some different thoughts after I read that article. One is how truly fucked the industry actually is. That is the thought that I want to focus on here.

First off, it is troubling how overly-socialized gaming is becoming. Good single-player experiences are becoming a thing of the past as multiplayer becomes more commonplace. This troubles me deeply, as I prefer the line between singleplayer and multiplayer to be a fine one, and games like Watch_Dogs and (soon) FarCry 4 and AC Unity are blurring that line.

And I also agree with the writer that exclusives and the constant "system wars" are just ridiculous. Why should different systems have different games? I am not asking why they do, i'm asking why they should. Why restrict players like that?

The writers last criticism is stupid though. Basically, it says that all games have at least one flaw and that games shouldn't even have that many, that they should have no flaws.

You do know that Cracked is a satirical site?

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#5  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@Kevlar101 said:

You do know that Cracked is a satirical site?

Yes, I have been a daily visitor of Cracked for 3 years.

But some of it is still personal opinions just put in humorous context, like the article in this discussion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I've been saying it for a few months now.... Exclusivity is a Joke !

This whole medium is broken....

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

Oh hey it was written By David Wong......

This guy doesn't pull any punches and shines a bright light on all the stupid shit we do !

Its about time too.... He hasn't called video games out on their bullsh!t for quite some now..... Always good to have a reality check.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

I love cracked but that article was pretty bad. You need different companys and systems and exlusives, and not just from a money for the company way. just look at EA and football. One size fits all leads to stagnation. Besides anyone who has ever run a computer has dealt with OS and drivers and all the other things that come with open systems.. Diversity between companys and systems breeds competition and innovation, or at least it should, and if we are letting multiple companys sell us the same shit that's on us.

So yeah short sighted with no actual understanding of how the tech business works. Go back to writing books Mr Wong, loved John dies at the end.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

@mattykovax

The things people tell themselves to justify their expensive toys.

Theres no connection between exclusivity and stagnation..... if these stop delivering diverse content its only because people don't purchase it.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mattykovax

@Lulu_Lulu:

Really? Nintendo did not come up with the wii as a way to compete (or not compete in their own words)? If all games went on all systems they would have to lower it to lowest possible platform, thereby neutering everything to Wii U standards, same way android devices are sucky compared to apple, not because the gear is bad but because developers have to develop for the cheapjack 60 dollar wal mart phones as well as the galaxy three.

Exclusivity is going the way of the dodo but still not on Nintendo as for the games they get. For that to change everything would have to be dumbed down, or you would have to force Nintendo to make better hardware. I do not see either happening without regulation which is an even worse concept. So yeah, take one thing I said and simplify it without looking at the bigger or feasible picture. Nice try.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@mattykovax

In a medium where everything is all about graphics and stupid resolution wars bullshit then I can how you would be upset if every game was completely identicle only uglier on the Wii.

But thats not the case... Infact thats a complete Bullshit argument because PC Gamming has managed to get by just fine despite the massive gap between minimum and reccomend requirements. Infact I'm sure you've seen how some multiplatform form games are inferior on PC.... But hardware has nothing to do with it.... Thats just incompetance on the developers part.

If everything is "Dumbed Down" to the lowest platform then you have no one to blame but the developers...... Some developers actually like each Platform and will optimize their games to make the most of them, onle game I remember doing this is Bioshock Infinite.

Like I said.... You paid alot of money for your toys.... Your brain is just trying to make you feel like it wasn't a waste. But its a joke, a big fat joke and Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are the only ones laughing their asses off at your misfortune. I'd laugh at you too except I have to deal with this bullsh!t aswell.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattykovax

@Lulu_Lulu:

the minimum maximum proves my point. not everything can be done on every platform which is what he is saying should be done. And graphics really do not mean that much to me. But I do not plan on arguing with you, you make a hobby out of that and I do not, I have better things to do with posting time.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

I agree with most of what old David Wong is saying, but I think that exclusivity is good for gaming, because each console wants the best exclusives so it pushes devs to keep raising the bar which can only lead to amazing exclusives for each console.

I'm also not liking these micro transactions, but as long as they don't make it essential that you make purchases with real money to be able to get through the game I can just ignore that shit.

Definitely getting tired of these open world games filled with mini games, and repetitive side missions of no substance, I think I'm done with side content now, unless it's of substance I will just stick with the main missions, but then that makes me think am I getting my full value out of the game if I just do main missions because the side content is shit, and is it worth playing the game at all if that's the case?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@mattykovax

Your point is stupid. And you know what they say... Ignorance is bliss.

Its easier to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend everything is hunky dory than to admit shit really is fucked up and we should do something to fix it.

No worries though..... I shall keep shining a light on your ignorance and the ignorance of all gamers out there, the rest of the world should see just how retarded gaming is..... And you can keep burying yourself deeper and deeper into your hidey hole where cruel common sense can't find you and make you a better person.

Avatar image for solidmustangp51
SolidMustangP51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidMustangP51
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

@Kevlar101: Well the reason the games are console specific is real easy $$$$$$$$ Xbox game Titan Fall enough money to be in the black nearly straight out of the gate. It might have saved the XB1 too. As for glitches and issues in the game. New games you just dont know how something may react in a mass quantity. So bugs come up. What I get upset about is when they are not fixed or addressed in a timely manner or totally ignored by the developer. How long did it take COD to admit they have a lag and security issue, or BF4 to admit they have a major server issue, which they still have. Also in games like COD, BF, and other mainstay games, they will have the same issues over and over and over again. That also drives me bonkers. You should learn from your mistakes and make the changes. Every game should improve from the one before. Yet we do not see that quality control.

I think that issue is coming to a major point. COD is in a ton of trouble with how bad GHOST was. They had the same hacks in this game that was in BO2, MW3, BO1 MW2 ...... The exact same codes where used. EA/Dice found themselves in a lawsuit over BF4. I am also not a fan of the modded controllers but that is a different topic.

Kevlar some of you concerns are very valid.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: my friend is there anything you like about gaming anymore lol, I think you think too much rather than just enjoying gaming. Oh yeh and not being ignorant to the gaming industries wrong doings is overrated lol :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Ariabed

I obviously love gaming...... Thats why I wana see it be better....... I think its the people who think its perfect who don't love gaming...

I've got a big sister whom I know is really fascinated by gaming... But shes always on the outside looking in enjoying gaming through me vicarously because shes too intimidated.... Well I can't just tell her to suck it up because thats just how the medium is..... I must defend her honour !

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

Hey David Wong has put up part 2 of the reality check....

Would somebody be a dear and link it up.

www.cracked.com/blog/12-video-game-annoyances-that-need-to-die-part-2/

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

it's all true. people ,love to defend their purchases and of course their purchasing power. all at the sacrifice of progressing the gaming advances that come our way. and this is just... video games...