From $249 to $169 - Massive 3DS price drop coming August 12.

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Wow... I can't think of a price drop this big or this soon after the launch.

Nintendo 3DS Gets Sudden, Massive Price Drop

The 3DS only went on sale earlier this year for $249, but as of August 12, it'll be slashed all the way down to $169.99. That's...wow.

"For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now," Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime says of the move. "We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games."

In addition to the price cut for new consumers, those who bought/buy a 3DS before the August 12 markdown will be able to download 20 free games from the 3DS eShop. That offer comes in the form of ten NES Virtual Console games (including cIassics like Zelda and Super Mario Bros.), which will be available after September 1, and ten Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games (like Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion), which will be available a little later.

Kotaku

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I guess this is the real price, the extra $70 were to cash in on the novelty factor. Anyway, wow, haven't seen anything like this since the Virtual Boy. Sales must really have been dismal, I saw SSFIV3D on sale for £9.99...

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Good. I was leery from the moment Iwata said that they were considering selling it at a premium after the good response at E3 last year; it reminded me too much of the PSP Go. The difference here is that the problem has been fixed AND Nintendo is giving something back to early adopters (how often does that happen with a price drop? :?). I still have issues with the battery life, so that and the current lack of games that I'm interested in (oh Capcom, how I loathe you) make me hesitant to pull the trigger, but at least at this price I can think about it.
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

Price drop, good news.

20 free games, GREAT news :D

Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Morrdecai
Member since 2011 • 587 Posts
As I said in SW, this scream desperation to me. Nearly having the cost of the system in less than a year is an unheard of move. I hope it pays off for Nintendo.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

It makes sense. Launch the system at a high price to maximize profits on people who will pay and then lower it to a more reasonable price before the competition arrives.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

As I said in SW, this scream desperation to me. Nearly having the cost of the system in less than a year is an unheard of move. I hope it pays off for Nintendo.Morrdecai

Ditto. A company doesn't lower the price of a gaming handheld or a gaming console so soon after launch. This just proves that Nintendo is scared & admitted that they overcharged the product for consumers.

bluelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bluelf
Member since 2011 • 54 Posts

[QUOTE="Morrdecai"]As I said in SW, this scream desperation to me. Nearly having the cost of the system in less than a year is an unheard of move. I hope it pays off for Nintendo.garland51

Ditto. A company doesn't lower the price of a gaming handheld or a gaming console so soon after launch. This just proves that Nintendo is scared & admitted that they overcharged the product for consumers.

I don't think that's the issue. Nitendo is just admiting what is readly observable: the 3DS is strugglign compared to the DS. I'm not really faulting Nitnendo for the price as much as i'm faulting them for using the same marketing stragtery that eventually failed with the wii: market the hardware, but provide very little quality games. People forget that the DS is a succesful system not because of its hardware, but because of its game libary, The novetly factor of the dual screens wore off a long time ago.

AJV91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AJV91
Member since 2011 • 214 Posts

Good news for people who are about to buy one, and people who already bought one. I plan to buy one early november after I get out of Boot Camp. About to start my New pokemon collection. Haha

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts
WTF? 3DS pricedrop from $250 to $170 in like 4 1/2 months? Wow. You know I didn't have buyer's remorse before but I think I'm getting it now. At least they have a pretty good offer of free games for early adopters but man I sure would have liked to have that extra coin in my pocket instead. :(
cboyuno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 cboyuno
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts

Still too expensive for me LOL.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rragnaar

Andriasang is reporting that Nintendo is now making a loss on every 3DS sold at the new price. I think that is a first for them. As far back as I remember, they've been unwilling to sell something for a loss and make the money back on software.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Andriasang is reporting that Nintendo is now making a loss on every 3DS sold at the new price. I think that is a first for them. As far back as I remember, they've been unwilling to sell something for a loss and make the money back on software.

rragnaar
Virtual Boy man, Virtual Boy. I guess 3D is a jinx
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I remember Sega pulling a similar move with the Saturn (months after launch and as its competitor approached, it dropped from $400 to $300). Percentage-wise Nintendo's pricecut is even bigger though. Like I've said before, a key element of the DS's success (casual games) is missing. Granted, no one can beat smartphones for the casual dollar, but there are so many casuals out there even 'losing' might be profitable (the Kinect has decisively outsold the Move, but the Move is a strong seller on its own terms).
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Wow. This screams that this system is not only doing terrible, but dying. Seems fitting for what looks to be a lazy device sleazily trying to cash in on the 3d fad. A DS with the 3D casual fad stapled onto the front like a hobo wearing a billboard "will sellout customers for food" :roll: Just to be clear this is only personal opinion, I despise this system don't mind me if you like it.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

rragnaar

Nintendo must really be feeling insecure if they are willing to take a loss on each system sold. I think the Wii U might launch for $250 now.

The system, aside from the glass free 3D, is incredibly antique. I have seen PSP do better graphics.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Seems desperate, but on the flip side it'll be in a much better position when the vita launches.

It'll be the cheaper alternitive and it'll end up getting two big killer aps, Super mario 3d and mario kart

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts
Lagging sales coupled with some developers stopping development on some games can be a real motivator.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#19 c_rakestraw
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Andriasang is reporting that Nintendo is now making a loss on every 3DS sold at the new price. I think that is a first for them. As far back as I remember, they've been unwilling to sell something for a loss and make the money back on software.rragnaar

This just means that they need to revise the hardware, cut manufacture costs. I bet we'll be seeing one early next year, maybe hear whispers about it by fall. Nintendo is not going to let these losses last long.

Still, even with the losses, they're smart to have dropped the price. Once the software starts rolling in, the system should start climbing to DS-original level success.

Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Morrdecai
nce the software starts rolling in, the system should start climbing to DS-original level success.c_rake
I highly doubt that. But, we will have to just wait and see....
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
it will put the 3ds in a good position for the vita. just looking at the graphics of the two handhelds, the vita wouldve had a big advantage while offered at the same price. its good for portable gamers either way.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Not enough for me to get one yet as there are literally only 2 games out for it now that I'm interested in.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Ok, now I'm getting one. Plus, Cave Story 3D and SMT: Devil Survivor OC'd is coming in a few weeks,

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 c_rakestraw

Why's this thread stickied now?

[QUOTE="c_rake"]nce the software starts rolling in, the system should start climbing to DS-original level success.Morrdecai

I don't think it'll be instantaneous. I expect the climb to such success will be a slow, gradual one, if the rate at which games are being released is any indication.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

This makes sense in the context of what happened.

The 3DS didn't meet sales expectations and Nintendo had to react quick. The two biggest factors against the 3DS were it's price and lack of software. Rather than rush out software, Nintendo decided to give the 3DS a price cut. I think that's a better response than rushing titles out into the market.

It's great that both Sony and Nintendo seem to be extremely competitive against each other this handheld generation. Nintendo pricing the 3DS at $250 played a factor into the PS Vita being priced as such, and the PS Vita being priced at $250 probably was factored into why Nintendo dropped the price to $169.

It's also great Nintendo is offering early adopters some sort of compensation - I'm glad I can get 20 free games in September as well. I can't say I'm mad about Nintendo dropping the price, because either way - being priced at $250 or $169 - I would have bought a 3DS regardless. I've been looking forward to the 3D device ever since E3 2010 and I've been happy with the line up they've shown so far.

This just means that they need to revise the hardware, cut manufacture costs. I bet we'll be seeing one early next year, maybe hear whispers about it by fall. Nintendo is not going to let these losses last long.

Still, even with the losses, they're smart to have dropped the price. Once the software starts rolling in, the system should start climbing to DS-original level success.

c_rake

I also think they can leverage taking a loss on the 3DS with sales of their past platforms like the Wii and DS. If I remember correctly, the DS has still been performing well, especially with the DS Lite at $99.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rragnaar

Why's this thread stickied now?c_rake

:lol:... I have no idea. Unsticking.

Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Morrdecai

Why's this thread stickied now?

[QUOTE="Morrdecai"][QUOTE="c_rake"]nce the software starts rolling in, the system should start climbing to DS-original level success.c_rake

I don't think it'll be instantaneous. I expect the climb to such success will be a slow, gradual one, if the rate at which games are being released is any indication.

With big name games coming out soon eg. Mario, sales will probably increase a lot Though I think sales will dip quite a lot once the Vita is launched.
Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Morrdecai

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

Why's this thread stickied now?rragnaar

:lol:... I have no idea. Unsticking.

New mods?
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I am tempted to get one now, but honestly I'm not a fan on Nintendo 1st party games, and I tried a 3DS at a store and found it to be pretty underwhelming from a technology perspective. Maybe I'll change my mind when MGS3 comes out.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I might consider picking one up now.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 S0lidSnake

c_rake

People seem to forget that the DS sold pretty terrible the first few months and only became a massive hit after Nintendogs. I'm sure now that it's a reasonable price, once Mario Kart hits, parents will be more inclined to pick this up. Especially during the holiday season.

Of course, DS was new and innovative while the 3DS is just an evolution. The only thing cool about it is the 3D and of course that's the lamest thing about the 3DS. So maybe it wont be a massive success like the DS, but it will still sell tons to kids.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

S0lidSnake

People seem to forget that the DS sold pretty terrible the first few months and only became a massive hit after Nintendogs. I'm sure now that it's a reasonable price, once Mario Kart hits, parents will be more inclined to pick this up. Especially during the holiday season.

Of course, DS was new and innovative while the 3DS is just an evolution. The only thing cool about it is the 3D and of course that's the lamest thing about the 3DS. So maybe it wont be a massive success like the DS, but it will still sell tons to kids.

Yeah I keep reminding myself that the DS looked like it was dead in the water the first few months, but for some reason this still seems worse. It definitely wasn't bad enough to drop the price so quickly. :P

awesomeface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 awesomeface
Member since 2007 • 3661 Posts
That's a big price drop, but I'm still getting the Vita.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Now it just needs an actual gaming library. I can't believe how much the stock has dropped on the 3DS. Seems like only a short time ago that Nintendo completely blew the gaming world away with its presentation at E3.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
No surprises here, a system with no killer apps and whose best games are rehashes of N64 titles can't fire up the sale charts. The 3DS numbers must be far worst that Nintendo's worst estimations for them to do this, still, selling for $170 still doesn't fix the ridiculous battery autonomy of the devise and the limited viewing angle of the screen. It has a lot of potential but Nintendo needs to take this opportunity to clear the stock of current 3DS hardware and launch a model with better battery and screen 12-18 months down the line.
Novemberrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Novemberrr
Member since 2011 • 163 Posts
That might actually lean me toward purchasing one..I like this news very much :D
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 S0lidSnake

Plus I give much respect for giving us early adopters a bunch of free stuff as an apology. No other company would do that.dvader654

Ummm... Apple? Didnt they first charge $599 for iPhones and then when they dropped it down to $199, they gave like a $100 credit to all the early adopters?

And 3DS got such a positive reaction at E3 because they hadn't revealed the retail price yet. We were all under the impression it would launch for $169 just like the DS. Especially considering how subpar the technical specs were for the system. if people had known they would be ripping us off then you would've seen a much more subdued reaction at E3.

Of course, the gaming media's insistance that the 3D was actually hovering over the screen and popping out at you was pure falacy and hyperbole, but there are a lot of closet Nintendo fans in the media so that was kinda expected.

P.S I went cold on the system right when i found out it only had one analog stick, and I'm sure it was a deal breaker for most handheld gamers too.. especially those who've owned a PSP....

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

Now it just needs an actual gaming library. I can't believe how much the stock has dropped on the 3DS. Seems like only a short time ago that Nintendo completely blew the gaming world away with its presentation at E3.

dvader654

That is what amazes me so much, I was convinced that the 3DS would blow away sales records. I thought the 3D would be so huge that everyone had to have one, yet no one cares. Also that magical lineup we were promised at E3 is almost all lies now. This launch has been a disaster for Nintendo, they had to do something so this is a good response for them. Plus I give much respect for giving us early adopters a bunch of free stuff as an apology. No other company would do that.

Hey not all of them are canceled.

Most of the notable titles are still on the way

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
This is awesome. Because I have a plan. Future Shop has an agreement that if there's a price drop within 14 or 30 days (I'm not sure which category the 3DS fits in), you get refunded the difference. You get the free games if you log onto Nintendo's eShop before August 12. Future Shop has a sale on the 3DS for 200 until July 31st. So, I can walk in, pay 200 on Sunday, log into the eShop, enjoy the one or two games I play on it, get refunded 30 bucks on August 12, and put it towards a game, and still get the 20 free games. I wasn't planning on picking up a 3DS until much later, but this is too good to pass up.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Well, this is interesting. Iwata is taking a 50% cut from his salary and other execs will be taking a 30% cut in order to put the money to better use for the 3DS and it's future.

link

Gotta say, I admire that man a whole lot.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 c_rakestraw

Well, this is interesting. Iwata is taking a 50% cut from his salary and other execs will be taking a 30% cut in order to put the money to better use for the 3DS and it's future.

link

Gotta say, I admire that man a whole lot.

Haziqonfire

Wow. Talk about dedication. They're really determined to see this thing succeed.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

They should have been selling it at this price from the get go...It still doesnt interest me in one im gonna wait for some games and a possible price drop again.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

dvader654

That is what amazes me so much, I was convinced that the 3DS would blow away sales records. I thought the 3D would be so huge that everyone had to have one, yet no one cares. Also that magical lineup we were promised at E3 is almost all lies now. This launch has been a disaster for Nintendo, they had to do something so this is a good response for them. Plus I give much respect for giving us early adopters a bunch of free stuff as an apology. No other company would do that.

Yeah, generally speaking, consumers haven't been as high on 3D as companies were hoping they would be. Personally, I think 3D is a nice effect, but it doesn't add so much that I would buy a 3D TV. '2D' images look perfectly '3D' to most people.

Also, Sega did give the people who bought the Saturn at $400 VF Remix and maybe some other game I am forgetting.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

S0lidSnake

I disagree. I think both the 3DS and the PSP's biggest competitors are smartphones and tablets. Smartphones/tablets are powerful systems (which like PCs, improve every few months) which boast strong support from an incredible number of indies (its also worth nothing that my brother recently showed me his new smartphone, which has a 3D screen which looked much higher rez than that of the 3DS).

The fact parents can buy games for their kids for less than the price of a cup of coffee is hugely attractive for parents, especially non-gamers who aren't trying to mold their kids into core gamers.

Last but not least, 3DS does have that 'blinds small children' thing going on... :P

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

God heard my prayers, let's roll.

Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
xD Nice ! I'm getting it now for sure !!
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#48 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

I love reading this type of thing, this is why this topic is gonna be featured in our new attraction to the Weekly Report "Boards of Wisdom".

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

There were three things that caused the 3DS to stumble: price, software, and advertisements. Now that the price is lowered to $170, there will be no doubt that sales will pick up which will lead to a larger install base and a more firm developer support for the system. I would say that Nintendo grew too confident with the 3DS and expected it to sell gangbusters with little advertisements, which by the way, failed to differentiate the system as not another iteration in the DS line and used 3D as its main selling point (which was a bad idea considering that 3D now carries a negative connotation). Yet Nintendo is taking the appropriate measure with a stronger advertising push and marketing slogans like "This is not DS, this is Nintendo 3DS," as shown here. Yet the determining factor of a system is the games, which the 3DS is seriously lacking in volume and variety. Thankfully, this too will be answered this holiday season with mega-hits like Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, along with titles like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Star Fox 64 3D. Nintendo is taking the necessary measures to ensure that the 3DS will be a success and I cannot imagine anything but an upward trend from here on out.