Forza 5 Reviews. Eurogamer: .."a thunderstorm of idiocy"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

UPDATE: Topic title changed from 9s everywhere to the current one after some complaints. Meant to be a joke. Dont take it seriously.

I had a feeling it would be the highest rated exclusive, and it seems like the lack of feature did not matter as much to reviewers.

Glad I preordered it.

Polygon

- 9/10

GamesRadar

- 4 stars

Digital Spy

- 4 stars

Eurogamer

- 7/10

Joystiq

- 4 stars

GameSpot

- 9/10

IGN

- 8.8/10

Destructoid

- 9/10

Rev3/Sessler

- 5/5

Escapist

- 3.5/5

EGM

- 6.5/10

USGamer - 4.5/5

GameReactor UK - 9/10

CVG: 7/10

VideoGamer: 9/10

OXM UK: 8/10

Eurogamer Germany: 10/10

Game Informer 8.75/10

#2 Posted by SirSlimyScott (275 posts) -

Well, it's a racing game; if you go wrong producing a racing game you're pretty shit at producing games.

#3 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

EGM, the people who gave Duke Nukem Forever a 9 gave Forza a mere 6.5! Surely it must suck. Or the check didn't clear. One of the two.

#4 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

Looks really impressive, i have always been a fan of the series

#5 Posted by UpInFlames (13295 posts) -

9's everywhere, I don't think so. Both Eurogamer and Edge gave it a 7. Seems like Forza 2 all over again, rushed sequel with no content. Fewer tracks, fewer cars and still no day/night cycles and no weather patterns. Forza really needs to stop being so god damn static.

#6 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@UpInFlames said:

9's everywhere, I don't think so. Both Eurogamer and Edge gave it a 7. Seems like Forza 2 all over again, rushed sequel with no content. Fewer tracks, fewer cars and still no day/night cycles and no weather patterns. Forza really needs to stop being so god damn static.

it's still the best sim there is in my book. It does seem rushed, but still a superb game

#7 Posted by Archangel3371 (18471 posts) -

Sweet. Forza easily became my favourite sim-racer when it first came out and it looks like it'll continue to be. Really looking forward to picking this game up.

#8 Posted by withe1982 (450 posts) -

Not bad review scores for a racing game. My question is; where is the progression? Just not seeing enough "next gen" stuff so far. Other than better resolution and frame rate what makes this any different or batter than Forza 4? I'm waiting for a game to knock my socks off and so far zip.

#9 Posted by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

Eurogamers review seemed the most objective to me. Great game but the huge gind for cars, micro transactions and only 14 tracks hold it back a little.

#10 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@UpInFlames: There. Better? ;p

Eurogamer review is brutal. im surprised they gave it a 7.

On Drivatar.

Why have just the one braking point when you can have two? And why not have a quick dab of the brake in the middle of a straight? The unpredictable driving of others creates too many needless scraps - it's a good thing that Forza's rewind feature is intact, though it's a shame you have to put into use so many times because of the AI. The data that's in there is pooled from a good number of players, pulled from Turn 10 and Microsoft - so you'd have thought it'd be of a reasonable quality. There's the potential for it to improve over time, but right now the Xbox One's heavily touted cloud rains down a thunderstorm of idiocy.

On micro-transactions and grinding.

All that's left is the grind, and it's not a particularly pleasant one. Unlike previous outings, cars don't unlock upon levelling up. Everything must be bought in Forza Motorsport 5, and all transactions take place in a slightly misshapen economy. A series will, on average, net the player in excess of 110,000 credits for just under an hour's effort - but with some of the premium racecars costing well over a million, it's a somewhat brutal grind. Good job, then, that there are tokens purchasable on the Xbox One's marketplace for you to attain the car you're after, or to temporarily boost the rate at which you gain XP. When you've already paid £429.99 for a new console, £44.99 for the game and maybe even £349.99 for the only steering wheel that the game supports at launch, such tricks appear a little unsavoury, and in Forza 5, mechanics greedily smuggled from free-to-play games trample over the elegant RPG elements the series once embraced so effectively.

On (lack of) content.

So little is spread out so thin across a career that doesn't make much of an effort to engage. Forza Motorsport 5's lattice of events is unlocked from the off, with different categories spread out across a succession of long series of 10 races each. There's no thread to follow, though, and with just 14 locations to share amongst them all, repetition sets in fast.

But for these additions, so much has been lost from previous iterations of Forza Motorsport. Maple Valley, for so long a signature track tailored for the series' tail-out handling, is absent, as is Infineon Raceway, gone before we ever really had the chance to get acquainted. The Nordschleife Nurburgring is the victim of a savage cut, as too is Suzuka, a track that has in recent years become recognised as one of the greatest on the F1 calendar. Forza Motorsport 5's replacement, Yas Marina - perhaps the only circuit in the world tedious enough to turn a three-way championship showdown into a tiresome procession - feels like the final kick in the teeth.

#11 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: I'd take a full point away just for the exclusion of Maple Valley, which I think is the best track in the series. It's fucking BAFFLING they'd leave that track out, not only because it's great fun to race on, but it's beautiful too.

So in order to get the full Forza 5 experience with cars and tracks, you have to fork over another $50 on top of the $60 you paid? Am I hearing this right?

#12 Edited by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

I wish I had a new Gran Turismo game to play so I could have a super awesome sim racer like Xbox One has... oh thats right there is a new GT game... on PS3. FU Sony.

Clearly this was going to be the best launch game on Xbox One, never a doubt there.

#13 Edited by barrybarryk (482 posts) -
@dvader654 said:

I wish I had a new Gran Turismo game to play so I could have a super awesome sim racer like Xbox One has... oh thats right there is a new GT game... on PS3. FU Sony.

Clearly this was going to be the best launch game on Xbox One, never a doubt there.

I'd hold your horses on that one too for now, it's coming with exclusive pre-order content and micro-transactions for cars and upgrades as well.

#14 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

*cough* Killer Instinct

#15 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

my TV only has two HDMI slots. (FU LG) And with the Wii U now on there with a fantastic library, I cannot keep the PS3 in the living room.

Which means GT6 will have to wait. Great job sony. You just lost a sale.

#16 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (20015 posts) -

Looks like the most consistent complaint is about the cloud AI

lol?

#17 Posted by UpInFlames (13295 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@UpInFlames said:

it's still the best sim there is in my book. It does seem rushed, but still a superb game

Right now, I agree. But Project Cars and Assetto Corsa are coming and Forza has been pretty complacent for a while now.

#18 Posted by marcheegsr (3102 posts) -

Ill be getting this, I don't even need to check the reviews. It's a given that Forza will always deliver a solid racing sim.

#19 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@UpInFlames said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@UpInFlames said:

Right now, I agree. But Project Cars and Assetto Corsa are coming and Forza has been pretty complacent for a while now.

i like the fact they finally added f1 cars in it. I am not a big fan of FIA or touring cars to be honest. But i like regular cars and F1 cars

#20 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Need for Speed Rivals has a higher Metacritic average than Forza 5.

There's just... something wrong with that.

#21 Edited by CoquiNegro (171 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39: Well, have you played both games?

#22 Posted by shellcase86 (2411 posts) -

Not surprised Drivatar doesn't work well.

#23 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@CoquiNegro said:

@IndianaPwns39: Well, have you played both games?

No no. I won't play Forza 5 for a few more years on account that I'll pick on Xbox One up after a price drop (and Halo 5 is released, unless I love Destiny enough to where Halo fails to interest me anymore)

I have played Need for Speed Rivals and I freaking love it. It deserves all the praise it's receiving, not knocking either game.

I'm just so used to Forza being at the very top in the racing genre that it's weird to see this one not receiving total praise from everyone. I don't particularly care as I'm sure I'll find it exceptional, just a weird change from a rather arbitrary website is all.

#24 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

The Forza developers stated at one point that they were able to hit 1080p because the AI is handled by the cloud. Clearly 'handing off to cloud' means 'f***ing up' but Forza's native 1080p has made it the game MS has pointed to during Resolutiongate, so the decision of the team to spend time on processing power rather than AI was probably the best one for the Xbone, if not Forza.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/65749/forza-5-is-1080p-because-turn-10-could-rely-on-xbox-ones-cloud-during-development/

"So, would [cloud AI] have been possible last generation? Sure. And last generation we could have done 1080p, 60fps. But we wouldn't have been able to do that and the physics we did in Forza 4. So Forza 4 was 720p and 60fps, with the physics we had. Now we're doing things in the physics that requires so much more computational power, we would have struggled to be 720p, 60fps."

Asked to clarify that Turn 10's ready access to the cloud has allowed it to spend more time improving Forza 5's resolution and physics, Greenawalt responded: "Right. And that's what's allowed us to, in three years, have a game that has innovation like Drivatar, looks beautiful as well as having the new things we're doing in physics, like the tyres and suspension."

#25 Posted by firefox59 (4530 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

@dvader654 said:

my TV only has two HDMI slots. (FU LG) And with the Wii U now on there with a fantastic library, I cannot keep the PS3 in the living room.

I remember this forum telling me that it was a good idea that GT6 was only released on PS3. I don't see how that isn't a bad idea. Then again, Drive Club wasn't supposed to be this delayed.

#26 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@firefox59 said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@dvader654 said:

I remember this forum telling me that it was a good idea that GT6 was only released on PS3. I don't see how that isn't a bad idea. Then again, Drive Club wasn't supposed to be this delayed.

I will take a PS4 version of GT6 that is the exact same game with maybe just better performance. There needs to be a PS4 version.

#27 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -

Is the guy complaining that you need to pour ten hours into the game to afford the top tier racecars? Sounds like bullshit to me. My dad had to grind for ten months to earn his first top tier tank in World of Tanks.

#28 Edited by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

@El_Zo1212o: Because World of Tanks and Forza 5 are completely the same type of game :l

#29 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@El_Zo1212o said:

Is the guy complaining that you need to pour ten hours into the game to afford the top tier racecars? Sounds like bullshit to me. My dad had to grind for ten months to earn his first top tier tank in World of Tanks.

World of Tanks is F2P. Forza is a $60 game.

#30 Posted by MirkoS77 (10207 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: ...with microtransactions. I suspect those tracks that have been removed won't be absent for long. They'll more than likely pop up in the marketplace at some point soon, if not I'll be very surprised. GT6 apparently will have MTs too.

I remember reading an article a while back that claimed publishers would be putting a heavy emphasis on MTs come this gen to fully test the market, and we're already seeing evidence of it at launch.

I'm really concerned about this trend ruining games.