For those that hate FPS games..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k41m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 k41m
Member since 2011 • 879 Posts

I'm talking more about single player games but I reckon MP games can jump in here as well. I was just curious and wanted to ask the people (and there are a lot of em) that can't stand First Person Shooters, what would you rather see? RTS/TPS?

I only ask because a game being FPS or TPS or whatever doesn't make or break the deal for me, the game itself does. Theres a lot of cool ideas that can be used in first person games in general.

I guess I just want to know what about FP games makes you dislike them? Or is it just first person SHOOTERS that you hate? I know theres been a ton of them but when it comes to certain games whether its the kind of gameplay or storyline they have sometimes first person is the best option.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

For me it's the restricted view. Games cannot replicate our field of view and peripheral vision, so for me, FPS'es are like playing through a window.

Another thing is that the games are usually limited in what you can do. You mostly point and click. You can't really platform, or have enemies surround you, puzzles are limited, or you end up with limited interaction with the environments.

Also, the over abundance of them doesn't help.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Probably cause a lot of people actually get physically sick from them

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It could be they just do not find them fun. I do not like 2d side scroller.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@Grieverr: The big mistake is that tThe console ones default to 65 field of view, assuming you'll be playing on big hi def TV.

Thats why PC games had a standard of at least 90 and up. Thats also why when you see screens for PC FPS everything in your peripherals looks wide screen and stretched.

Also like totalbiscuit was saying, one should be able to edit the gun model to make it appear like its actually being held at arms length instead of bulky-in-your-face. If all these modifiers and customizations made their way to consoles over the years, I don't think the PC snobbery would be at such a high fever.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#6 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I really like them. Dues Ex HR, Far Cry 3, Rage, Crysis 3 all make my favorite games list.

It's just I hate the standard run of the mill fps games. You know, the 4-6 hour really linear shooter. Granted those game's appeal go to their MP, but they could at least do something different with their campaigns. Hell, even make a Far Cry Blood Dragon type of campaign. It's open world, just not on the same scale of Skyrim and Far Cry 3. I would love to see a small detailed open world Call of Duty WW2 game.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#7 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

I really like them. Dues Ex HR, Far Cry 3, Rage, Crysis 3 all make my favorite games list.

It's just I hate the standard run of the mill fps games. You know, the 4-6 hour really linear shooter. Granted those game's appeal go to their MP, but they could at least do something different with their campaigns. Hell, even make a Far Cry Blood Dragon type of campaign. It's open world, just not on the same scale of Skyrim and Far Cry 3. I would love to see a small detailed open world Call of Duty WW2 game.

This. I also like where Borderlands is heading (freedom and loot). That is also why Destiny is so highly anticipated.

You mentioned Skyrim so on that note why haven't other games adopted switching from FPS and 3rd person like with the Elder Scrolls series?

I'm aware that some games have incorporated probably have but it's less common than not.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@bowchicka07 said:

@ristactionjakso said:

This. I also like where Borderlands is heading (freedom and loot). That is also why Destiny is so highly anticipated.

You mentioned Skyrim so on that note why haven't other games adopted switching from FPS and 3rd person like with the Elder Scrolls series?

I'm aware that some games have incorporated probably have but it's less common than not.

I really liked that Dues Ex cover system switched to TPS. It worked really well with the stealth elements.

But that would be interesting to see in some fps games.

k41m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9  Edited By k41m
Member since 2011 • 879 Posts

@dethtrain said:

Probably cause a lot of people actually get physically sick from them

I was looking for a real answer, which I got from everybody else.

Thanks guys, I am curious no more ;D

tattoogunman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tattoogunman
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I don't hate them necessarily, but after having played them for over 20 years (since when the first ones like Wolfenstein made the scene), the overall premise hasn't changed. It's run around killing everything and there is only so much of that you can do before it starts to get really old. I prefer something along the lines of Elder Scrolls and Fallout because, while at their heart they are an FPS, there is a story, there is an open world to go explore, you are in control of what you want to do when you want to do it, etc. It's not just run through the building/street/jungle shooting at everything that moves while stuck on a linear/rail system. This also extends to multiplayer, I am just so sick to death of it. The most popular games like Battlefield and Call of Duty just keep repackaging the exact same game with maybe a few graphical tweeks, new guns, new maps, and maybe a new killstreak or something. But at their heart, it's the exact same freaking game over and over again - run around (or camp in one spot as the case may be) trying to kill everyone else, it's just been beaten to death. Why people keep flocking to them over and over again is beyond me.

What would really get me back into the swing of things regarding FPS games would be a total remake of the genre. I'm talking open world, randomly generated maps/worlds to play on so you aren't just playing the same dozen maps over and over again, truly fully destructible worlds (none of this shooting at someone behind a wall with a tank or helicopter just to see the rounds or shells magically bouncing off the walls, ground, piece of tarp, or whatever), no goofy perk systems, etc. There is so much that could be done to breathe some fresh air into the genre that I really can't believe non of the major developers have taken a stab at it. I don't even care if you have to dumb the graphics down a bit to do it, just make me something new that isn't just another Call of Duty or Battlefield frag fest. This is one of the main reasons why I'm considering going back to the PC.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I cant get enough of fps.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I think the reason shooters get so much guff from gamers is that the amount of available FPS games is vast. And lets face it, the leader of the FPS pack is by no means the best example of the genre. Don't get me wrong, I'm not above enjoying some Call of Duty. I don't hate the series and I think a couple of them are genuinely good games. But I can honestly say that I wouldn't call a single one of them a great game where I might call a couple of the Halo games or Metro: Last Light or Half-Life 2 or some others great. So it's easy to dismiss FPS games as the popular but shallow genre.

But I don't personally think that's the case, I'm just saying it could be a reason for the popular opinion among "core" gamers. I'm theorizing of course, I could be way off base. It just seems that whatever the popular shooter of the day happens to be, regardless of quality, it seems to take flak for basically being the popular game of the day. As a long time fan of the Halo series, I've seen people blame Halo for other shooters made by completely different teams. Leaps in logic that would astound even the most cynical. I once saw someone say that if FPS games weren't popular, he'd surely be getting more of his beloved JRPGs. Of course since FPS games are more of a western thing and JRPGs are, by virtue of the fact that the J means Japanese, decidedly eastern and therefore very few teams have worked on both styles of games makes the very notion is absurd.

For me, I don't really love or hate FPS games so much as I try to gauge each game on it's own merits. I love Halo, but I never clicked with games like Duke Nukem or the later Unreal Tournament games. They weren't bad, they just weren't games I resonated with. I actually prefer a third person game if there's a choice, but it doesn't meant I seek out a game just because it has third person shooting as it's core mechanic. I enjoy a sci-fi setting. I like to shoot aliens more than I like to shoot human enemies. I like Gears because it's silly and over the top, not because I can hide behind chest-high walls and play prairie dog pop-up with the Locusts. And I still like Halo better because I think it's story is more interesting and driving a Warthog is more fun.

Cheers. :)

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I don't hate FPS. I enjoy quite a few of them. I just don't like how saturated the market has become. It's not just FPS, but also TPS. I'm tired of the market being drowned with military shooters. There's so many other things they could do. Metroid Prime series did something unique. Bioshock series set itself apart. Dishonored's insistence on stealth was refreshing.

I'm personally a fan of jrpgs and wrpgs. So I would want more of those. But I also really like first person games, and if they could start making them different and interesting again then I wouldn't mind seeing them so much. At the moment most of them are just all too alike.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14  Edited By Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I don't like them because the entire gameplay consists of panning the camera around, putting the crosshairs on the guy, and pressing the button. Repeat 1,000 times, after having done the exact same thing 25,000 times in previous games. I'm bored to death with it. I've been bored with it since the end of the PS2 era. I dislike multiplayer even more because it's just such a pointless waste of time. You're not making any progress through the game, there's no story to see through to its conclusion, no characters to join on their adventure, you're not seeing or doing anything you haven't seen and done numerous times before. It's purely a means of killing time.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I started on the great granddaddy of FPS's Wolfenstein, then DOOM, DOOM2, etc. So it's fairly safe assumption that I "grew up with the genre."

TBH not enough has changed. Sure the graphics have gotten better, but do they really do all that much more than the original DOOM?

I'll play a FPS if it has RPG elements mixed in (Fallout, ES, etc.), but a straight kill everything that moves FPS? No thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
Member since 2003 • 378 Posts

@ristactionjakso: It was actually first done in Rainbow Six Vegas, I believe and the multiplayer in that game was the bees knees (I mean, First to Third Person Cover System).