Final Fantasy is just so awesome.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CastieI (124 posts) -

I know that's not the consensus lately, but I've been playing Final Fantasy 4 DS the last two days.  That's when I realized, Final Fantasy is still absolutely awesome.  The characters, the story, the gameplay, (I genuinely miss turn based battles, all these experimental mash up battle systems are so hit and miss) and the first time I won a battle and heard victory fanfare, I smiled.  When people complained about that being gone in FF13, I didn't get it.  Why complain about such a small thing?  But the small things can really stack up, and now I get it.  This is Final Fantasy.  

FF13 and it's sequels are no more Final Fantasy games than FF: Mystic Quest was on the SNES.  It's a solid enough game, (or so I thought when I played it) but it's just not Final Fantasy, much like Lords of Shadow, it's just aping the name of a classic gaming franchise to boost it's profile.  We should raise the money to buy copies of this game and send them to the Square Enix team that has been working on their FF games this gen, they obviously never played this game.

#2 Posted by MonoSilver (1525 posts) -
You're absolutely right. Give me a classic FF any day over the latest CoD/Halo/Crysis. Hence why I'm buying a PS2 in the next few days so I can revisit my childhood. First game I'll be getting for it is FFX.
#3 Posted by kljohns2 (398 posts) -

I'm still amazed at how good FF XII was for the PS2...I know a lot of people didn't like it but I thought it was fantastic. If you have never played it give it a go...

#4 Posted by MonoSilver (1525 posts) -

I'm still amazed at how good FF XII was for the PS2...I know a lot of people didn't like it but I thought it was fantastic. If you have never played it give it a go...

kljohns2
I actually bought XII when I had my first PS2 but never played it for very long. I'm not even sure why, I didn't think it was a bad game. I need to play it again.
#5 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69603 posts) -
I am still waiting for FFX to get an HD version
#6 Posted by GreySeal9 (23975 posts) -

It is an amazing franchise, especially in terms of music and art design. Where many other RPGs just aim to be fun games (and there are definitely plenty of RPGs with better battle systems than the FF games), Final Fantasy games aim to be experiences of beauty, especially Final Fantasy X. That being said, my favorite game in the franchise is easily FFIX.

Honestly, the only RPG I think matches and even surpasses most FF titles in terms of aesthetics is Chrono Cross.

#7 Posted by GreySeal9 (23975 posts) -

kljohns2

Everything about it is top notch with the exception of that awkward battle system and the ill-advised decision to make you acquire licenses to use weapons and equiptment.

#8 Posted by Allicrombie (25114 posts) -
I'm sorry, mentioning Mystic Quest and FFXIII in the same sentence is akin to blasphemy. >.>
#9 Posted by idunnodude (2281 posts) -

agreed. FFX and FFXII are my favourite games of all time. FFX for the story and FFXII for the gameplay and just massive amount of content. im also still waiting for the FFX HD remake, but knowing square i wouldn't get my hopes up for it ever coming out.

i think FFXII would be the perfect game for a HD remake though, that game i feel was PS2 at its best. seriously i think that game looked better than some of the games out these days. and the environments were so varied and just VAST. i remember it taking me hours on end just to get past one area. top it off with an amazing soundtrack so fitting for the different areas.

i just wish FFXII had a lot of cutscenes and character development like FFX, then it wouldve been near perfect to imo.

#10 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

It is an amazing franchise, especially in terms of music and art design. Where many other RPGs just aim to be fun games (and there are definitely plenty of RPGs with better battle systems than the FF games), Final Fantasy games aim to be experiences of beauty, especially Final Fantasy X. That being said, my favorite game in the franchise is easily FFIX.

Honestly, the only RPG I think matches and even surpasses most FF titles in terms of aesthetics is Chrono Cross.

GreySeal9

Add Grandia to it and it's a perfect sentence ^^

#11 Posted by kljohns2 (398 posts) -

[QUOTE="kljohns2"]

MonoSilver

I actually bought XII when I had my first PS2 but never played it for very long. I'm not even sure why, I didn't think it was a bad game. I need to play it again.

Yeah I replayed it a couple of years ago and it's still amazing...it's hard to believe XIII came after it.

Talk about going downhill...

#12 Posted by kljohns2 (398 posts) -

[QUOTE="kljohns2"]

GreySeal9

Everything about it is top notch with the exception of that awkward battle system and the ill-advised decision to make you acquire licenses to use weapons and equiptment.

The battle system was awkward...at first. Once I got the hang of it (10 hours or so into the game) I thought it was absolutely excellent. The licensing on the other hand was a little odd though.

#13 Posted by MonoSilver (1525 posts) -

agreed. FFX and FFXII are my favourite games of all time. FFX for the story and FFXII for the gameplay and just massive amount of content. im also still waiting for the FFX HD remake, but knowing square i wouldn't get my hopes up for it ever coming out.

i think FFXII would be the perfect game for a HD remake though, that game i feel was PS2 at its best. seriously i think that game looked better than some of the games out these days. and the environments were so varied and just VAST. i remember it taking me hours on end just to get past one area. top it off with an amazing soundtrack so fitting for the different areas.

i just wish FFXII had a lot of cutscenes and character development like FFX, then it wouldve been near perfect to imo.

idunnodude
Is XII a bigger game than X then?
#14 Posted by kljohns2 (398 posts) -

[QUOTE="idunnodude"]

MonoSilver

Yes! I didn't realize how much content was in XII until I replayed it...

It was in development for 6 years or so.

#15 Posted by MonoSilver (1525 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonoSilver"][QUOTE="idunnodude"]

kljohns2

Yes! I didn't realize how much content was in XII until I replayed it...

It was in development for 6 years or so.

Damn I need to buy that after X then lol. I'd love to see the next single player FF (I forget which number we're on now) return to the classic formula or mix in the best bits of all the previous games but I doubt it'd happen.
#16 Posted by justletmesignup (161 posts) -
You're absolutely right. Give me a classic FF any day over the latest CoD/Halo/Crysis. Hence why I'm buying a PS2 in the next few days so I can revisit my childhood. First game I'll be getting for it is FFX. MonoSilver
Playing FFX right now, up to Zanarkand. I forgot some of the seriously emotional stuff (won't say what incase you may have too). Actually got teary eyed!
#17 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34115 posts) -

FF is a great series. many of it's titles are high quality games and some of my favorite games of all time. 

I don't agree with the notion that FFXIII isn't a FF game though. Every FF game, outside of spin-off sequels like FFX-2 and FFXIII-2, is different from one another, from gameplay features, to story, to the world and characters. FFXIII is even more different than before sure, but still, FF is a series is known for mixing things up each time. In the end, what thing is seen in every FF that isn't available in FFXIII? And is this thing really that significant a feature? ONly thing I can think of is an overworld, but even then that wouldn't really be true since FFX didn't have an overworld either. There's the fact that FFXIII is one of the more linear FF games, although every FF is linear to a degree, and honestly FFX from what I remember was very damn linear. Even FFIV is very linear in design, and forces characters on you through-out it's entire playthrough up to the final boss.

If you dislike FFXIII and think it is bad, then fine, but I never understood the "IT ISN'T A TRUE FF GAME" argument. a game being bad doesn't disqualigy it from being part of a series. I found both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks to be mediocre and disappointing games, but I still consider them Zelda games. 

#18 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

I can't wait for FFX HD for Vita. I'd take a FFX HD over a new FF any day of the week.

#19 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

I need to actually PLAY the damn games i got :P

so shameful.

on my Vita right now i got.

Final Fantasy 4 : Complete Edition, Final Fantasy Tactics : War of the Lions, Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9. 

and waiting on Final Fantasy X HD

#20 Posted by final_lap (319 posts) -

There is nothing awesome about randomly triggered encounters.

#21 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -
Yeah Good Times. Meanwhile in the present. . . . Isnt anybody even remotely curious about "Lightning Returns".
#22 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -

[QUOTE="kljohns2"]

GreySeal9

I didn't find the battle system in XII awkward at all.  Maybe because I had spent a lot of time playing FFXI which operated on very similar battle mechanics.  The license system didn't bother me either, I saw it as a way to level and customize your party.  In fact, I felt it was basically a more detailed clone of the leveling system in X.

But I agree that growing up, the FF series was the pinnacle of gaming for me. 2,4, and 5 were the only ones I haven't played. The era of 6-9 (including Tactics) was the best time for the FF series.

#23 Posted by Blueresident87 (5307 posts) -

I am still waiting for FFX to get an HD versionThe_Last_Ride

As am I, since I never gave the game a fair enough chance when it released. Eventually I will have to go back and play it one way or another I suppose, it's always been a game that I wished I had played.

#24 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69603 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]I am still waiting for FFX to get an HD versionBlueresident87

As am I, since I never gave the game a fair enough chance when it released. Eventually I will have to go back and play it one way or another I suppose, it's always been a game that I wished I had played.

you are in for a treat, if you want to do the extra stuff you are in for an even bigger treat. I spent 600+ hours on it and still wasn't quite finished(part of it because my 300+ game got corrupted)
#25 Posted by redluigi11 (89 posts) -

i really stop playing the main Final Fantasy games after 10 i never liked 10 all that much and ive mostly played the spin offs 

#26 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69603 posts) -

i really stop playing the main Final Fantasy games after 10 i never liked 10 all that much and ive mostly played the spin offs 

redluigi11
You should try 13-2 it's a good game
#27 Posted by ZhugeL1ang (134 posts) -

I just don't seem to have the rose-colored glasses to view FF in the way that everyone else seems to. I can plainly see how people could like FF, but to me so few of the games in the series are worth any praise at all other than the excellent VI and VIII. Though the first FF will always have a certain charm to it.

FFX was so broken to me what with its heavily locked down linearity and practically FAQ demanding side quests necessary to make the game playable at the end. X-2 had great potential, but suffered from poor game design. I don't play MMOs so there goes XI. The very look of Vaan alone was enough to make me skip XII. I'm somewhat curious about XIII however.

#28 Posted by XaosII (16530 posts) -

I love how most FF fans never seem to want to talk about FF XI or FF XIV.

#29 Posted by chicknfeet (15624 posts) -

I just don't seem to have the rose-colored glasses to view FF in the way that everyone else seems to. I can plainly see how people could like FF, but to me so few of the games in the series are worth any praise at all other than the excellent VI and VIII. Though the first FF will always have a certain charm to it.

FFX was so broken to me what with its heavily locked down linearity and practically FAQ demanding side quests necessary to make the game playable at the end. X-2 had great potential, but suffered from poor game design. I don't play MMOs so there goes XI. The very look of Vaan alone was enough to make me skip XII. I'm somewhat curious about XIII however.

ZhugeL1ang
Wait, you skipped 12 because you didn't like how one of the characters looked? A character that you were free to leave out of your party for the majority of the game? That just seems kind of silly.
#30 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

ZhugeL1ang

I only recall the useless optional sidequests in X needing a faq. Aside from that, how does its linearity break the game? In addition, how did X-2 have poor game design? It was devoid of any glitches and bugs. And the battle system was great. It took the job system from the previous games, tweaked it, then coupled it with the ATB battle system. It worked out well, as even quite a few people who couldn't stand X-2's cheesiness, pop songs, and complete change of tone from X had to admit that it had a solid and very fun battle system. And don't forget the abundance of sidequests and secret boss battles.

And skipping over a game due to one character that you can leave out of battle is just silly. Surprisingly, Vaan is hardly the most ridiculous looking Final Fantasy character. Avoiding it due to one character's appearance ignores XII's great battle system, plethora of solid sidequests and hidden boss battles, as well as its dialogue that is devoid of the cheesiness of past (and later it seems) Final Fantasies treated with top notch voice acting.

#31 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69603 posts) -

XaosII
Those don't count because they are not on the console :3 :P
#32 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

The_Last_Ride

Funny, I seem to recall spending hundreds of hours playing FFXI on my PS2...  It was also available on the 360.  I though XI was fantastic and probably the most addicting game I've ever played.

#33 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34115 posts) -

XaosII

Many FF fans probably only got into FF for traditional turn-based combat, not MMORPGs.

Honestly, I think that Square should have just made a seperate FF MMORPG series, and have it so that FFXII was actually FFXI and that FFXIII was FFXII. Could have called the series FF online or maybe something less generic than that.

I mean, Square didn't make FF Tactics part of the main series considering how vastly different it was compared to other FF's, even moreso than any other mainline FF compared to one another.  

#34 Posted by ZhugeL1ang (134 posts) -

[QUOTE="ZhugeL1ang"]

chicknfeet

Wait, you skipped 12 because you didn't like how one of the characters looked? A character that you were free to leave out of your party for the majority of the game? That just seems kind of silly.

A fair response, I probably should have explained further for purposes of context. I had played the demo of XII back in the day and found the gameplay OK, but the aesthetics put me off, especially the more I looked into the previews and trailers. Look, I've played JRPGs pretty much from the start so I've long been resigned to the fact that there will always be some poor writing and plot points, irritating characters, and gameplay that wasn't always what it could have been.

Something about Square-Enix's androgynous character designs tighten my jaws. It's like they just refuse to modernize and shake the JRPG cliches. Yes, I'm sure it's a cultural thing with the Japanese so I won't call it wrong, but still. Times have changed and so have my tastes in gaming it seems. Being a bargain bin game, I'll likely pick it up at some point. I've been far more patient with games of far less merit (Star Ocean 3 comes to mind). As a fan of the genre, I suppose I owe it to myself to playthrough it eventually.

I only recall the useless optional sidequests in X needing a faq. Aside from that, how does its linearity break the game? In addition, how did X-2 have poor game design? It was devoid of any glitches and bugs. And the battle system was great. It took the job system from the previous games, tweaked it, then coupled it with the ATB battle system. It worked out well, as even quite a few people who couldn't stand X-2's cheesiness, pop songs, and complete change of tone from X had to admit that it had a solid and very fun battle system. And don't forget the abundance of sidequests and secret boss battles.

And skipping over a game due to one character that you can leave out of battle is just silly. Surprisingly, Vaan is hardly the most ridiculous looking Final Fantasy character. Avoiding it due to one character's appearance ignores XII's great battle system, plethora of solid sidequests and hidden boss battles, as well as its dialogue that is devoid of the cheesiness of past (and later it seems) Final Fantasies treated with top notch voice acting.

Lucky_Krystal

It was that whole sigils and crests thing. It's been over a decade since I last played FFX, but I never put that all together and I remember finishing the game by using hastega, while doublecasting and mimicing ultima because I hadn't realized that both the crests and sigils were needed to unlock the best weapons and when I read up on them after the fact sometime later, the requirements to get them all just weren't reasonable which I chalk up to poor game design. Ditto with FFX-2. For all the efforts that were put into optimizing ATB, it was a shame that the completion percentage aspect to the game was such a burden on the experience. No, I'm not going to spend time training my blitzball team just to inch my completion percentage up by .02%-.05%. I'm all for multiple outcomes in a game, but the execution there was poorly handled.

As this generation is nearly devoid of good JRPG's, like I said earlier, I probably owe it to myself to go back and play some earlier games that I passed on like FFXII.

#35 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

My reaction to FF:  MEH. I've had the same reaction since FF VIII (1999), which I already felt was worse than FF VII. The series has been freefalling since the sixth game, although it's managed to keep a small acceleration until FF X. I really disliked XI, XII, XIII and XIII-2.

Still have fun with the older ones whenever I do replay them, though :).

#36 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

While I wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that FF XIII is no more an FF game than Mystic Quest and similar things along that line, I do agree that the Final Fantasy franchise was and still is very fun.

That said, I find there are superior, more engrossing and most importantly more fun RPG franchises that FF out there.

#37 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69603 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="XaosII"]

dagreenfish

Funny, I seem to recall spending hundreds of hours playing FFXI on my PS2...  It was also available on the 360.  I though XI was fantastic and probably the most addicting game I've ever played.

i think he meant XII and XIV
#38 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"]

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] Those don't count because they are not on the console :3 :PThe_Last_Ride

i think he meant XII and XIV

XII was also on the PS2.

#39 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

Before the XIII series, Final Fantasy was my favorite franchise. 

Now I wish for Squeenix to **** off and die. 

#40 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -

Before the XIII series, Final Fantasy was my favorite franchise. 

Now I wish for Squeenix to **** off and die. 

soundcellx
Huh, well will ya look at that. You found people who actualy agree with you. Nice, I guess all's well that ends well.