Final Fantasy 7 or Final Fantasy X?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The4thVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Final Fantasy 7 or Final Fantasy X? (11 votes)

Final Fantasy 7 64%
Final Fantasy X 36%

Whether you like it or not, these two Final Fantasy games are considered the best by the most people. The two games that defined the franchise, especially with both having 3D graphics of questionable quality, and TB battle systems.

Which of these two do you find better?

• 
bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Tactics is better than X IMO.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I stopped playing Final Fantasy games after 6. The franchise was more endearing when the heroes looked like heavily armored marshmallows.

Of those 2, I'd probably pick 7. Just because the soundtrack is so darn good. Even as someone who wasn't really a fan of the game, I can appreciate it's score. It was pretty brilliant in that department.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

i'll pick 10, love both but enjoyed 10 more

Tobougg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tobougg
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

Man i loved FF7, i spent months completing the game to what i considered to be 100% completion (killing every monster in the game by scouring the entire world map and collecting all the items they drop, any items they can be morphed into) I even went as fasr as leveling up 1 of each materia for all the members in my group... lol. Beat all the weapons, side games etc.

I don't understand how X is so popular, it seems like such a strange pick for people to think that. The characters are just SO forgettable, They look ridiculous, they look so stupid i'd be embarrassed if someone caught me playing it. It doesn't feel like FF, it feels more like a Star Ocean game or something like that, it's lost ALL of the final fantasy stuff. The voice acting is terrible, the main character is just idiotic, that stupid ball player guy who's always there with the big hair is just an embarrassment.

I thought it was a joke at first that people were saying they liked it. The story is totally stupid also, and the whole game revolves around pretty much the most stupid sport ever to be created.. i played the game for about an hour and a half, turned it off and traded it in.

Bare in mind that i'd come from playing to death 4 exceptionally high quality games in FF6, 7, 8 and 9. And i would consider 9 to be my favourite. 10 literally to me doesn't even look, feel, sound like an FF game.. honestly it reminds me of something that should be called Star Ocean! People are so shallow and fickle. They don't want tragic amazing stories, they want dumbed down colourful rubbish (just look at the music in the top 100, there's not even a SINGLE band that actually play instruments, it's all voice synthesized repetetive rubbish)>

My 3 cent!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I think FF10 is a much better game. It has much better music (FF7's music sounds "gamey" and artificial in comparison), a better battle system, far better art design (there's so many beautiful, visually rich locations: Zanarkand, Ruins, Macalania Forest, Thunder Plains, Besaid Island, etc.), and I think the story has more interesting ideas. Not to mention that its world feels far more developed and lived-in, which is a result of the lore being more deeply developed; there's more of a focus on the "culture" of the world. The only real issue I have with FF10 is that some of the voice acting is bad whereas I think FF7 suffers from wonky controls, too many mini-games, and really bad looking character models.

Both games are too easy, but whatever.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

BTW, TC, I don't think FF7 and FF10 are the only two franchise-defining games. 6 is also franchise-defining and 4 is arguably the most important game in the series, even if I think it's not one of the best.

@tobougg said:

Man i loved FF7, i spent months completing the game to what i considered to be 100% completion (killing every monster in the game by scouring the entire world map and collecting all the items they drop, any items they can be morphed into) I even went as fasr as leveling up 1 of each materia for all the members in my group... lol. Beat all the weapons, side games etc.

I don't understand how X is so popular, it seems like such a strange pick for people to think that. The characters are just SO forgettable, They look ridiculous, they look so stupid i'd be embarrassed if someone caught me playing it. It doesn't feel like FF, it feels more like a Star Ocean game or something like that, it's lost ALL of the final fantasy stuff. The voice acting is terrible, the main character is just idiotic, that stupid ball player guy who's always there with the big hair is just an embarrassment.

I thought it was a joke at first that people were saying they liked it. The story is totally stupid also, and the whole game revolves around pretty much the most stupid sport ever to be created.. i played the game for about an hour and a half, turned it off and traded it in.

Bare in mind that i'd come from playing to death 4 exceptionally high quality games in FF6, 7, 8 and 9. And i would consider 9 to be my favourite. 10 literally to me doesn't even look, feel, sound like an FF game.. honestly it reminds me of something that should be called Star Ocean! People are so shallow and fickle. They don't want tragic amazing stories, they want dumbed down colourful rubbish (just look at the music in the top 100, there's not even a SINGLE band that actually play instruments, it's all voice synthesized repetetive rubbish)>

My 3 cent!

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the Star Ocean comparison is beyond ridiculous. Anybody who thinks that FF10 and Star Ocean are even remotely similarly aesthetically has very questionable perception. Actually, FF10's art style and character design has much more in common with that of FF8, which you praised.

Additionally, one could make an argument for FF7 and 8 not feeling like an FF game relative to the FFs that came before, so "it doesn't feel like an FF" game is not a good argument, considering that the series constantly changes its aesthetics.

Secondly, you say that FF10 is dumbed down colorful rubbish, yet you say that FF9 is your favorite. FF9 is my favorite as well, but it's just as colorful as 10 and its story is much more simplistic and much more "light". Honestly, criticizing FF10 for being colorful and then praising FF9 is the height of absurdity. Anyway, what's wrong with something being colorful?

Thirdly, it's absolutely false to say that the story revolves around Blitzball. It's just there to give the world culture and and give the main character a hobby/occupation. It doesn't factor into the story that much.

Lastly, you played the game for an hour and a half, which is an extremely short time for an RPG. There's no way you got a good feel for the story and characters in an hour and a half. That you played it for such a limited time explains why you would say something so silly and obviously untrue as "the story revolves around Blitzball". Anybody who has played the game from start to finish knows that Blitzball is not what the game's story is about.

(BTW, while your comment about music is not really relevant to gaming, do you have any proof that not a single band in the top 100 can play an instrument?)

The4thVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The4thVIII
Member since 2013 • 420 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

BTW, TC, I don't think FF7 and FF10 are the only two franchise-defining games.

They are to the vast majority of fans.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

My 2 favourite FF games. This is tough.

I say FF10 because the intro screen was just so memorable and mentally prepared me for the adventure ahead. I loved the battle system and the strategy required to beat bosses(Seymour was beastly on Mt. Gagazet on my 1st playthrough because I hadn't levelled up alot) the Kimahri 2 vs 1 battle and many other memorables bosses.

The music in both games is amazing and I have both soundtracks on my smartphone but FFX takes it because "To Zanarkand" was all i listened to studying for my finals and it helped me get into my zone and ace them.

I played FFX as a teenager and had a crush on a girl at the time so i could easily relate to Tidus &Yuna's love story more than Aerith's and Cloud's which i still loved.

Voice acting.

That is what makes it my favourite. I can actually put a voice to Tidus and Yuna's voices and that helped me care about them more and I actually shed a tear at the ending after 250hours of playing:-P

Am I the only one who can't wait for the FFX HD release? I have wanted to replay the game on my PS2 but i am patiently waiting to play it in 1080p on the 42inch screen:-)

DavidSchmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DavidSchmidt
Member since 2013 • 50 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

BTW, TC, I don't think FF7 and FF10 are the only two franchise-defining games. 6 is also franchise-defining and 4 is arguably the most important game in the series, even if I think it's not one of the best.

@tobougg said:

My 3 cent!

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the Star Ocean comparison is beyond ridiculous. Anybody who thinks that FF10 and Star Ocean are even remotely similarly aesthetically has very questionable perception. Actually, FF10's art style and character design has much more in common with that of FF8, which you praised.

Additionally, one could make an argument for FF7 and 8 not feeling like an FF game relative to the FFs that came before, so "it doesn't feel like an FF" game is not a good argument, considering that the series constantly changes its aesthetics.

Secondly, you say that FF10 is dumbed down colorful rubbish, yet you say that FF9 is your favorite. FF9 is my favorite as well, but it's just as colorful as 10 and its story is much more simplistic and much more "light". Honestly, criticizing FF10 for being colorful and then praising FF9 is the height of absurdity. Anyway, what's wrong with something being colorful?

Thirdly, it's absolutely false to say that the story revolves around Blitzball. It's just there to give the world culture and and give the main character a hobby/occupation. It doesn't factor into the story that much.

Lastly, you played the game for an hour and a half, which is an extremely short time for an RPG. There's no way you got a good feel for the story and characters in an hour and a half. That you played it for such a limited time explains why you would say something so silly and obviously untrue as "the story revolves around Blitzball". Anybody who has played the game from start to finish knows that Blitzball is not what the game's story is about.

(BTW, while your comment about music is not really relevant to gaming, do you have any proof that not a single band in the top 100 can play an instrument?)

I'm glad you said it or I would have.

Slannmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10  Edited By Slannmage
Member since 2005 • 6975 Posts

FF X is too linear and has shit voice acting and I hate the sphere grid and the stupid ball game that was done under water and made no sense.