Final Fantasy 6 or ChronoTrigger for best SNES rpg?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by captainqwark20 (1221 posts) -

IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE FROM THE TWO

Which of the two would you consider best SNES Jrpg? Since FF6 seemed to be people choice for best rpg in another thread regarding it, and Chrono Trigger is all over top lists, I thought I would ask.

In my opinion, I would have to give it to Chrono Trigger. It had a slow start, but then kept steady with some drops, but it kept throwing things at you to keep you glued, you might think it was good, maybe great, but then you stop thinking once you get to the dark ages. right before it and every point affter, I doubt think you can't deny best jrpg on the snes. To bad we could never go to that island below the black bird before dark omen killed the floating islands. Chrono trigger also has a lot more choice based quests, and removing random battle really did it for me. I am even replaying it now. I really like that fake court system thing as well after the first chunk of the game.

I think both games have great soundtracks, but chrono triggers got better and better, and once you got to the dark ages, forget about it, no comparison, chrono trigger wins. I also remember more of the game, I forgot large chunkcs of FF6 during and after the game, it seemed less memorable, not only that, but Chrono Trigger held my interest longer.

One more point I would like to mention is that the battle systems cannot be compared. Chrono Trigger has a much more fluid battle system, with a lot more options, although you can't actually run from battle, you have a large variety of skills and double and triple attacks. Which even enemies use at times.

#3 Posted by Dudersaper (32950 posts) -
Chrono Trigger.
#4 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5688 posts) -

Chrono Trigger

#5 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

I'm not even 100% sure that I like Final Fantasy VI more than Final Fantasy IV.....
.....its partially nostalgiac reasons, but Cecil, Kain, Rosa, Rydia, Edge & Co might be my favorite.

between Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, my fave of the 3 is usually just whichever one I've played most recently :lol:

If we're including the "nostalgia factor".....I honestly think I'd do with Final Fantasy IV over both of your choices; it just has my soul from the SNES days

#6 Posted by captainqwark20 (1221 posts) -

I'm not even 100% sure that I like Final Fantasy VI more than Final Fantasy IV.....
.....its partially nostalgiac reasons, but Cecil, Kain, Rosa, Rydia, Edge & Co might be my favorite.

between Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, my fave of the 3 is usually just whichever one I've played most recently :lol:

If we're including the "nostalgia factor".....I honestly think I'd do with Final Fantasy IV over both of your choices; it just has my soul from the SNES days

TheKungFool

I was thinking more of FUN instead of Nostalgic. But yeah, I forgot Final Fantasy IV for some reason. No I am serious, I forgot that game actually existed for a second :lol: that's the one where the dark knight tries to be a paladin right?

I think that dark knight was the dark knight from two.

#7 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

That's a really tough choice, but I'd have to say Chrono Trigger by a hair

#8 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

captainqwark20

I was thinking more of FUN instead of Nostalgic. But yeah, I forgot Final Fantasy IV for some reason. No I am serious, I forgot that game actually existed for a second :lol: that's the one where the dark knight tries to be a paladin right?

well, for me, nostalgia = fun at this point for SNES games (bsically, nostalgia gives me a reason to play/enjoy again)

but yes, you're thinking of the right game with Cecil going from Dark Knight to Paladin, etc.

Alot of people prefer FF6, and I understand why, but FF4 might take it for me personally.

#9 Posted by captainqwark20 (1221 posts) -

[QUOTE="captainqwark20"]

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

TheKungFool

well, for me, nostalgia = fun at this point for SNES games (bsically, nostalgia gives me a reason to play/enjoy again)

but yes, you're thinking of the right game with Cecil going from Dark Knight to Paladin, etc.

Alot of people prefer FF6, and I understand why, but FF4 might take it for me personally.

Might have to replay it, I barely remember it. i recall having the girl character casting fire to melt some ice, and everyone was surprised yet I already knew fire and used it in battle. I have a strange habit of forgetting lots of ares in FF games other than 2.
#10 Posted by Gh05tsh4d0w2k (5 posts) -
I've played both extensively; I would like to call myself a gamer at heart who got his addiction started playing on the SNES. And the one title that sealed my love of games would be Chrono Trigger. The gameplay, the story, the characters... it was all put together so well for the time it was made. I'm also a big fan of the Final Fantasy series, but it couldn't hold a flame to Chrono Trigger. It's such a staple of my childhood that I could not name a single game better than it, even modern games. I wholeheartedly support naming Chrono Trigger the best SNES title of all time, hell, I'd call it Square's best work. And I feel pity for the new generations that may never get a chance to experience it. So I recommend that any of those that haven't played it should pick up an emulator and a Chrono Trigger ROM and experience what I'm trying to get across in puny words.
#11 Posted by AlbedoSnake (10383 posts) -

Both games are masterpieces in their own way. Both have masterful soundtracks and intuitive battle systems. Final Fantasy VI tackles themes that to this day have not really been seen again in any memorable way in other video games. But Chrono Trigger top to bottom is just a nearly flawless gaming experience, just a bundle of pure joy transferred through the video game medium. It doesn't have the most demanding story or the most challenging gameplay, but the world it creates is just mesmerizing in a way that I personally have never felt has been duplicated, at least not to my satisfaction.

#12 Posted by LionHeart48 (10 posts) -
Damn this is hard. But i would have to say Chrono Trigger.
#13 Posted by Nismology (648 posts) -
Man, I hate living in a PAL region. We didn't get either of them!
#14 Posted by killerband55 (107961 posts) -

Chrono Trigger, probably my favorite RPG ever

#15 Posted by GreySeal9 (25077 posts) -

They are really close, but I have to give it to Chrono Trigger. It is more polished in pretty much every aspect and I find the combat to be a little funner. FF6 still has the best RPG cast I've ever experienced tho.

#16 Posted by Retro-Ninja (26 posts) -
Final Fantasy 6
#17 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

Both are excellent RPGs in their own right.

But Chrono Trigger is, hands-down, the best RPG on the system. Best RPG ever, actually.

#18 Posted by riou7 (10838 posts) -

Easily Chrono Trigger

#19 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -
never had I played a jrpg with alot of replay value and at that time too, to top it off. It was ahead of it's time imo. ct for sure.
#20 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

"Trigger" by a country mile.

#21 Posted by Dj-Dampleaf (730 posts) -

"Trigger" by a country mile.

MonkeySpot

I agree with monkey spot:  (He didn't specify which triggr, but i am pretty sure he meant this)

#22 Posted by Lordhagan (20 posts) -

Chrono Trigger has to win. Its unfair really, FFVI was the pre cursor, it created the framework and the teams that made Chrono Trigger possible but the Chrono Trigger was the realization of all of the potential of FFVI. FFVI is still one of the greatest 16bit RPG's of all time but that is all. Chrono Trigger with its dozen endings and logical time travel consequence engine is one of the greatest games of all time bar none!

#23 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -

ChronoTrigger was very good at the time, but Final Fantasy 6 was epic. FF6 got me into turn based RPG's. I had Dragon Warrior 3 on the NES before that, but I couldn't really get into it...

#24 Posted by MonsieurX (31689 posts) -

Necro'd thread

#25 Posted by Jag85 (5347 posts) -

Chrono Trigger has the better gameplay, graphics, and soundtrack.

Final Fantasy VI has the better story.

#26 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

EarthBound.... but since I have to choose one of those two, then Chrono Trigger.

#27 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Chrono Trigger would win that battle easily.

#28 Posted by wiouds (5520 posts) -

What if you do not like both that much?

#29 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

@wiouds said:

What if you do not like both that much?

then there really isn't any point for that individual to be in this thread.

#30 Posted by Gamerno66666 (175 posts) -

Hardest choice ever. But I have to go with Chrono Trigger.

#31 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

Oh Goddamnit. This is an incredibly tough choice. Hm. I guess I'd have to go with Chrono Trigger simply because it has more replayability and whatnot. but they are both classics IMO.

#32 Posted by xjbond007x (19 posts) -

Chrono Trigger Hands Down!!!

#33 Edited by Jag85 (5347 posts) -

My pick for best SNES RPG would have to be Secret of Mana. That had one of the best combat systems I ever played, even to this day.

#34 Posted by mario-galaxys (574 posts) -

@lordhagan: I hope you are aware that you cannot bump old threads.

#35 Posted by Ballroompirate (23741 posts) -

Have to go with FF6, Chrono Trigger is pretty overrated.

#36 Posted by Krelian-co (13098 posts) -

@bowserjr123 said:

That's a really tough choice, but I'd have to say Chrono Trigger by a hair

#37 Posted by anab0lic (374 posts) -

FF6, but god damnit chrono trigger is so good too.

#38 Edited by voljin1987 (903 posts) -

Earthbound hands down... but between those two, chrono trigger

#39 Posted by Garfield360UK (20117 posts) -

Thread locked.

Please do not bump old topics in the future please. Thank you.