Fez sells more copies in 48 hours of Steam Sale than in first month on XBLA

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

Check out the entire article here.

Independent platformer Fez sold 105,000 units in 48 hours during its first Steam Summer Sale--where it was discounted to $5--developer Phil Fish has announced on Twitter.

"Ok, so our first steam summer sale is over and it was BANANERS," Fish said, adding, "We sold more copies in the first 24 hours of the sale than we had on steam in the first 3 months since release!"

"And over the course of the full 48 hours, we sold more than we had in our first month on XBLA. It's been f***in' NUTSO. Thank you cheap people everywhere!" he concluded.

It's nice to get an insight into the innerworkings of Steam Sales and it's great that it's paying off so much for indie developers.

Your thoughts?

#2 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

Microsoft just plain sucks at digital distribution. Remember Games for Windows Live? That shit is still up and running, selling games to nobody because it's inferior to each and every competitor, both in prices and in service.

#3 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
Flexible prices is the way to go in this industry. We don't get multiple releases on different formats like movies do, giant sales are a great way to create a second wave of sales. Steam has the pricing right and the rest of the industry should follow suit.
#4 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

Microsoft just plain sucks at digital distribution. Remember Games for Windows Live? That shit is still up and running, selling games to nobody because it's inferior to each and every competitor, both in prices and in service.

ReddestSkies

Pretty much, yeah. In my opinion, Live (be it Xbox or Windows) always was and still is a total joke. Microsoft needs to get their heads out of their asses and create a worthwhile service for once.

#5 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18333 posts) -
Unsurprisingly. The xbox crowd is not really an indie game crowd. I have no idea why Limbo has been xbox exclusive for as long as it did
#6 Posted by coasterguy65 (5889 posts) -

$5 versus $15...it makes no sense.

#7 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Independent platformer Fez sold 105,000 units in 48 hours during its first Steam Summer Sale--where it was discounted to $5--developer Phil Fish has announced on Twitter.

"Ok, so our first steam summer sale is over and it was BANANERS," Fish said, adding, "We sold more copies in the first 24 hours of the sale than we had on steam in the first 3 months since release!"

"And over the course of the full 48 hours, we sold more than we had in our first month on XBLA. It's been f***in' NUTSO. Thank you cheap people everywhere!" he concluded.

It's nice to get an insight into the innerworkings of Steam Sales and it's great that it's paying off so much for indie developers.

Your thoughts?

UpInFlames

Seems like its comparing apples to aardvarks. Fez was on Steam for three months prior to its debut on XBL. How well did it do in that timeframe?

Also, according to Fish the revenue the developer get scales down as the discounts go up....

https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/356476445587013632

PHIL FISH @PHIL_FISH 20h

@KCeeCat well yeah, half-off means half-revenue. but still! early support sure meant a lot, though!

#8 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Unsurprisingly. The xbox crowd is not really an indie game crowd. I have no idea why Limbo has been xbox exclusive for as long as it didBlack_Knight_00

I disagree. Minecraft has sold 8 million copies on XBLA, the recently released State of Decay is the fastest selling XBLA game ever (though it needs to sell for months to catch up with Minecraft) and XBLA has been profitable for a lot of indies over the years.

Most indie developer complaints about the Xboxes seem to center around MS's treatment of indies (up until recently it made them pay to patch, it makes them jump through a lot of hoops, is bad about paying them, doesn't allow for self publishing, etc, etc) not the audience's reception to their games.

#9 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18333 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Unsurprisingly. The xbox crowd is not really an indie game crowd. I have no idea why Limbo has been xbox exclusive for as long as it didCarnageHeart

I disagree. Minecraft has sold 8 million copies on XBLA, the recently released State of Decay is the fastest selling XBLA game ever (though it needs to sell for months to catch up with Minecraft) and XBLA has been profitable for a lot of indies over the years.

Most indie developer complaints about the Xboxes seem to center around MS's treatment of indies (up until recently it made them pay to patch, it makes them jump through a lot of hoops, is bad about paying them, doesn't allow for self publishing, etc, etc) not the audience's reception to their games.

I knew someone was going to bring up minecraft. That game is the big thing of the moment, it's what everyone and their mom are playing. No wonder it sold what it did.
#10 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Unsurprisingly. The xbox crowd is not really an indie game crowd. I have no idea why Limbo has been xbox exclusive for as long as it didBlack_Knight_00

I knew someone was going to bring up minecraft. That game is the big thing of the moment, it's what everyone and their mom are playing. No wonder it sold what it did.

If it was out of sync with the tastes of the audience, people wouldn't buy it no matter its popularity elsewhere. The Sims and MMOs are also phenomenally popular on PC, but on consoles they've never been a big deal.

#11 Posted by wiouds (5086 posts) -

I believe that more DD people are on the PC that the x-box.

#12 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
First game I actually bought with my own money on Steam. Every other game was either free-to-play or given to me as a gift. Why yes, I'm a royal cheapskate. :P
#13 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18333 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

If it was out of sync with the tastes of the audience, people wouldn't buy it no matter its popularity elsewhere. The Sims and MMOs are also phenomenally popular on PC, but on consoles they've never been a big deal.

Yes, because the xbox crowd is not into that sort of thing.
#14 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

LMAO at PR like thread title.

This should've been the thread title:

"We sold more copies in the first 24 hours of the sale than we had on steam in the first 3 months since release!"

First month on XBLA vs THREE MONTHS on Steam. Good job UIF.

#15 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

"We sold more copies in the first 24 hours of the sale than we had on steam in the first 3 months since release!"

S0lidSnake

How's the Live summer sale going for you this year? Grabbed a few gems?

#16 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

ReddestSkies

I havent grabbed a single game from the Steam sale either. what's your point?

#17 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

Your thoughts?

CarnageHeart

Seems like its comparing apples to aardvarks. Fez was on Steam for three months prior to its debut on XBL. How well did it do in that timeframe?

Also, according to Fish the revenue the developer get scales down as the discounts go up....

https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/356476445587013632

PHIL FISH @PHIL_FISH 20h

@KCeeCat well yeah, half-off means half-revenue. but still! early support sure meant a lot, though!

Your question is answered in the very post you quoted.

Half-revenue of what he would get if it sold that amount at full price - which he never got. You can't compare it to imaginary revenue.

#18 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

S0lidSnake

Which is noted in the original post. It's to showcase the impact of the sales. Sales that will never happen on XBLA. Also, it's common knowledge that original releases sell much more than subsequent releases. That's why the sales amount vs. XBLA is more impressive.

#19 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

Look at the "Deal of the Week" on your Xbox Live dashboard or online. Compare to the numerous summer sales on PC digital distribution sites (not just Steam's). Draw your own conclusions.

Edit: Case in point, Dishonored is on sale on both Steam and XBL right now. $10.19 on Steam, $19.99 on Live, and it's a gold-exclusive price.

#20 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

ReddestSkies

Look at the "Deal of the Week" on your Xbox Live dashboard or online. Compare to the numerous summer sales on PC digital distribution sites (not just Steam's). Draw your own conclusions.

Edit: Case in point, Dishonored is on sale on both Steam and XBL right now. $10.19 on Steam, $19.99 on Live, and it's a gold-exclusive price.

Solid is super hobo when it comes to game deals, he very well knows about all the sales.
#21 Posted by dommeus (9242 posts) -

Totes bought it

#22 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -
I expected sales like that with these prices. I think even Total Biscuit said that he loves Steam sales and talked about or posted the massive increase in views he gets for his WTF is... series whenever an indie game goes on sale.