Favourite Arcade Driving/Racing Game series

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SadPSPAddict (5461 posts) -

I'll start the ball rolling and say I'd have to go with Ridge Racer

#2 Posted by Noteldnep (20165 posts) -
I like Modnation Racers, you can speed-race, drift, sideswipe and shoot weapons at people. :D
#3 Posted by rrpnedesigns (5 posts) -

rfactor

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/

#4 Posted by TAMKFan (32707 posts) -

It's a close one between Need for Speed and Mario Kart. But since Mario Kart is not an option, I voted for Need for Speed.

#5 Posted by weathermsk (8 posts) -

Have to go with Ridge Racer Unbounded (future) series. I love the new game! My favorite arcade racer of all time. Burnout was always one of my favorites, but the whole premise has been upped with Unbounded!

#6 Posted by Crazyguy105 (9502 posts) -

Midtown Madness or Need for Speed.

#7 Posted by i_am_yur_father (3 posts) -

Gran Turismo 5

#8 Posted by AngstOverlord (134 posts) -

Phht, you damned kids and your Need for Speeds and your Gran Turismos!.. but in all seriousness, the lack of titles actually stemming from arcades is kind of sad.

I am stupidly fond of Virtua Racing, favoring the 32x version most of all. Technically the Saturn version has more stuff but the menus are awful and the added tracks have some bizarre collision problems. Crash on the left side of a divided tunnel and it'll drag you through the wall and reset you onto the right-hand lane. Also, blue mystery cubes. Do not reason why they are there.

Also, I like Hard Drivin'. The full cabinets were awesome. Sure, the controls bit any misstep resulted in the car bursting into flames, but it had three-dee cows and the stunt-track loop. Usually the car'd drop off the apex and explode but that's realism for you.

#9 Posted by DraugenCP (8469 posts) -

Test Drive Unlimited 2 and FUEL. Both were judged pretty harshly by critics, but I think they're both fine examples of sandbox racing, much more so than Burnout Paradise. The driving model of TDU2 is really sweet, as well.

#10 Posted by PyreofKoL (5809 posts) -
Hydro Thunder, definitely.
#11 Posted by Dexter-010 (508 posts) -
I voted for Need For Speed, but I also like Burnout, ModNation Racers and Mario Kart. Also I want to give Ridge Racer a try. Honorble mention for Race Driver: GRID.
#12 Posted by andmcq (259 posts) -

iRacing

#13 Posted by Gamr2723 (119 posts) -

I would agree in its day Midtown Madness had to be one of the best. I pretty much agree with all your posts about the Need for Speed series as I feel the one I have logged the most hours in has to be Need for Speed Most Wanted Black Edition. This game has found it's way back onto my PC several times. A couple of more titles, that deserve recognition:

- Grid

- Flatout 1,2 (the last one is absolute crap)

- Dirt (1,2,3 all great games)

- Midnight Club 2 (This game was so fast!)

- Split Second (Eye candy)

- Burnout Paradise (Destructive goodness!)

#14 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
F-Zero is my favorite racing series of any type by far.
#15 Posted by Lovely637 (255 posts) -
i prefer Need for Speed. I've been playing them and I do enjoy a lot.
#16 Posted by thermalvision (130 posts) -

i like NFS , burnout takedown & paradise both

#17 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

About the only arcade racer I've played is Motorstorm Pacific Rift and I had a ton of fun with that.

#18 Posted by xMansie (1 posts) -
Hands down, the Formula 1 franchise from Codemaster. Best racing game ever. Also GRID and FORZA 4 are in there too.
#19 Posted by Frieza99 (232 posts) -
Need for speed and Ridge racer
#20 Posted by Adri6 (25 posts) -

I would go with Flatout (lots and lots of fun) and of course Need for Speed series.

#21 Posted by aussiemuscle (110 posts) -

rfactor

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/

rrpnedesigns
i think of rfactor as a SIM, not an arcade driving/racing game. I've played the NFS series since the 3DO version of TNFS, so i guess you could say i'm a NFS supporter. I also like the Test Drive Unlimited series
#22 Posted by thermalvision (130 posts) -

whole NFS series .....& BURNOUT .....

#23 Posted by hiramholbroo716 (15 posts) -
Midtown, Need for speed and many more....
#24 Posted by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -

No love for project gotham racing? :O, what is this board I have come across tsk tsk.

#25 Posted by MuddyMaestro (10346 posts) -

I've always been one for arcade style racers, as opposed to simulation racing. Though, I did enjoy supposed "simulation racers" from multiple generations back, like the original Gran Turismo since such games still had an arcade feel to them. I'd have to say my favourite series would be Burnout, or more specific, games developed by Criterion. That developer creates what few other racing games manage to do successfully, which is present an intense sensation of speed with fantastic controls and dynamics that are both fun and challenging. That said, I also really enjoyed Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, and am really looking forward to Need for Speed: Most Wanted in late October.

#26 Posted by Angelnish (34 posts) -
I prefer Need for Speed.
#27 Posted by CrazyGamingJohn (42 posts) -
Need for Speed all the way!