Favorite Shooting game type and favorites?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Eliminatorcanon
Eliminatorcanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Eliminatorcanon
Member since 2012 • 41 Posts
FPS: First-Person shooters, includes hybrids as long as FPS is the more primary genre. Things like Hal-life, Hal-life2, Halo, Black, yada. Third-Person shooters: Things that involve viewing behind the back gameplay. As long as the primary genre is TPS, hybrids can be included. Although with this branch it can e a bit tricky. Run and Shoot: Things that are usually 2D, but can be 3D. For 2D, such games would usually involve and character with weapons running and gunning through legions of soldiers or enemies of whatever variety. For 3D, it would be kind of like a hack and slash, but with a much heavier focus on guns and usually guns is the primary weapon where you just shoot and shoot and shoot tons of enemies. Self-Scrolling: Includes shooters that involve a character, object, or vehicle, that shoots while the screen is moving in a fixed direction. Open-Scrolling: These shooters are basically where you play as a character, object, or vehicle, but have complete control of how the screen scrolls. Such games usually have objectives of defeating all enemies or gaining certain objects to beat a stage or area and others. Thunder Force 2 and Defender are great examples, as well as certain overhead games. Arcade shooters: Shooters that involve controlling a character object or vehicle in fixed screens. Sometimes screens will switch freeze to another static screen. Most of these games usually but not always involve destroying all enemies on the screen or shooting until you get an object of which a player can exit a level. Rail shooters: A game that you have very little to know control of an object vehicle or character, but can give the order to maybe slightly move or to attack at any time. Screen/Light shooters: Games that involve shooting quickly at enemies that appear on the screen before they attack or time runs out. These games usually do in most cases, not allow control of movement but instead you have full control of the weapon. Area 51, Time crisis or great examples. For me in the top 3 would be TP, FPS, than Run and Shoot, with Open shooters right behind. Those are the games that can really take me into the game world and often have more options and variety.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Shmups, and it doesn't matter what kind of scrolling screen they have. But not from the bullet-hell sub-genre, hours of self-masochism does not sound appealing to me.

gunslinger024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#3 gunslinger024
Member since 2012 • 252 Posts
IMO, the best gameplay mechanics was that of the first SOCOM us navy seal's seeing that you could switch between 3rd person and 1st person in a instant, also the squad based gameplay was very fun, but when it comes down to my favourite type, i would have to say 3rd person.
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Rail-Shooter, as in Star Fox or House of the Dead 2.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#5 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I like all of them, though TPS did not interest me until Resident Evil 4. But I'm a big fan now with Vanquish, Binary Domain, Gears of War, etc.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

FPS is still king of the shooter genres, though mainly on the PC as gamepad controls can often be a little awkward. Also can achieve a sense of immersion and character relation that other genres can't match.

Arcade flight shooters. Things like Ace Combat and Hawx.

3PS. These are something consoles do best.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#7 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
1- FPS 2- Bullet Hell Shoot 'em Ups 3- Rail Shooters
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Shmups, and it doesn't matter what kind of scrolling screen they have. But not from the bullet-hell sub-genre, hours of self-masochism does not sound appealing to me.

Emerald_Warrior
This. I don't mind bullet hell, but they're my least favorite in the shmup category. Not all of them are extremely difficult though.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Eikichi-Onizuka

This. I don't mind bullet hell, but they're my least favorite in the shmup category. Not all of them are extremely difficult though.

This for me as well. However, I love bullet hell games. The satisfaction of dodging hundreds (sometimes thousands) of bullets on the screen without dying is a feeling that becomes addictive after a while. However, I love the none bullet hell SHMUPs just as much too.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
My favorite is the FPS, as I don't like my character blocking up the screen :P