Favorite Final Fantasy Villain

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chaosclown17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 chaosclown17
Member since 2010 • 307 Posts

Who is your favorite FF villain?

Mine has got to be Golbez. Even though his story sagged at the end he was a BAMF before that. Plus, I think he was the coolest looking, and had the coolest name.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Kefka
-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

Sephiroth

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Kefka. Sephiroth was OK, but nobody compares to Kefka IMO.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#5 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Gotta go with the crowd on this one and agree that Kefka is one of the best ones out there. Though [spoiler] Gaff Gafgarion [/spoiler] is sort of amazing and totally one of my most memorable boss fights for Final Fantasy.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Garland. >.>
TheLoneMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheLoneMortal
Member since 2011 • 135 Posts

Gotta go with the crowd on this one and agree that Kefka is one of the best ones out there. Though [spoiler] Gaff Gafgarion [/spoiler] is sort of amazing and totally one of my most memorable boss fights for Final Fantasy.

Synthia

The fights with him were pretty epic (guy in the spoiler), but [spoiler] The last fight with him at the Lionel Castle Gate was unbalanced I felt. Ramza being seperated from the rest of the party during that fight to face Gaff alone was atrociously lop-sided if you didn't have him thoroughly prepared. XD [/spoiler]

Kefka for me as well. Kuja and Golbez come close though.

darkengy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkengy
Member since 2012 • 171 Posts
Ultimecia & Sephiroth
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#9 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

Sephiroth and Kuja

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

Sephiroth & Kefka

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
Kefka
chaosclown17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chaosclown17

No surprise here. Crazy clowns always make the best villains.

Spoiler Alert

I think Golbez would have been more popular if they hadn't pulled the brother card. Back in the day it might have been kind of shocking. Now it just seems cliche. Never had a lot of Kefka love myself. All though his theme and son of a submariner were great.

chaosclown17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chaosclown17

[QUOTE="Synthia"]

TheLoneMortal

The fights with him were pretty epic (guy in the spoiler), but [spoiler] The last fight with him at the Lionel Castle Gate was unbalanced I felt. Ramza being seperated from the rest of the party during that fight to face Gaff alone was atrociously lop-sided if you didn't have him thoroughly prepared. XD [/spoiler]

Kefka for me as well. Kuja and Golbez come close though.

I loved that fight lol. All though the first time I tried I was like, "What the hell? Are they really going to make grind that much?" With some cheap strategy he is a cakewalk though.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

doesn't get much more bad ass than Sephiroth!

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I liked Exdeath. Aesthetically the most imposing of all FF villians, imo. He had a certian, B-Movie actor quality about him that just won me over.

shogoth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shogoth_
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Weigraf or Rufus!
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Not to be cliche, but probably Kefka, followed shortly by Golbez.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

doesn't get much more bad ass than Sephiroth!

Shenmue_Jehuty
pfftt... mama's boy :P
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Sephiroth is the best, because he killed Aeris, and that makes FF twits cry, which in-turn, makes me laugh and laugh til my face falls off. Best death EVER. I enjoy the piss out of FF games, I really do... But the ballihoo surrounding VII is eye-rollingly insipid. It's the one game in the franchise I wish had never happened.

toddyaww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 toddyaww
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Kefka FFVI because he is freaking crazy. The Joker has nothing on him ;)
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Mine would be kefka!

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
Kefka.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Kefka followed by Kuja.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#24 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

As cliche as this might sound...

Sephiroth

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

Kefka, followed by various ones from FFT.

Hmm I still the most dubious of them all is the Wizards in the mandatory fight before getting the crown in the marsh caves in FF1 on Nes, that an maybe Astos for always ruining my perfectly sync levels by casting death.

Avatar image for Apathetic_Prick
Apathetic_Prick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Apathetic_Prick
Member since 2003 • 4789 Posts

Kefka by far. One of the few game villains period that is a genuine personification of evil.

JogsterXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JogsterXL
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts
Sephiroth for me
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Kefka, actually accomplished his goal and took over the world while causing me to hate him in the process. That makes him my favorite.
NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

For the personality. Kefka

For the badassery. The Emperor from Final Fantasy 2

If you played FF2 after your first battle with the emperor you ended up sending him to hell and heaven, and of course he goes nuts and takes over the afterlife and thus you have to go into hell and battle him again...as well as heaven.

He basically became God and Satan at the same time.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I'm going to be unoriginal and go with Kefka. Not the deepest villain in the franchise, but he's so entertaining and his sprite and laugh are so awesome. I don't like him in Dissidia tho.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

sephiroth by far as he's basically the only real memorable villain of any ff that stuck with me.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#32 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Kefka, actually accomplished his goal and took over the world while causing me to hate him in the process. That makes him my favorite.LittleMac19

It's weird to me that people actually hate Kefka. I thought he was funny.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

Beatrix in the first half of FFIX. The ending of disc 1 showed how powerful and ruthless she was. She becomes an ally later on though lmao.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

I knew that the majority of these posts would be Seph/Kefka, and that's boring. But if I had to choose between the two, Kefka definitely wins. There's absolutely nothing memorable and/or unique about Sephiroth other than his character design. Other than that, to quote Kefka from Dissidia Final Fantasy, Sephiroth is "just another sadist with a god complex". Which defines almost every villain in the history of fiction.

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say that Yu Yevon from FFX is my favorite "villain". I put it quotes because to be completely honest, his agenda using Sin isn't blatantly evil, more so chaotic neutral.

[spoiler] It's about an old summoner that conjured up a cycle of destruction so that the city he loved could remain in tact, both in his mind and the minds of his beloved people of the city. [/spoiler]

He and Sin were also compelling presensces that didn't even have the slightest bit of characterization, so I feel that's just good writing on Square's part.

I love ambiguity in villains because it draws parallels with real life, making the character(s) much more relatable.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jag85

I knew that the majority of these posts would be Seph/Kefka, and that's boring. But if I had to choose between the two, Kefka definitely wins. There's absolutely nothing memorable and/or unique about Sephiroth other than his character design. Other than that, to quote Kefka from Dissidia Final Fantasy, Sephiroth is "just another sadist with a god complex". Which defines almost every villain in the history of fiction.

MadVybz

Uh... but Kefka is also a "sadist with a god complex"... In fact, Kefka is way more sadistic than Sephiroth.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

Jag85

Uh... but Kefka is also a "sadist with a god complex"... In fact, Kefka is way more sadistic than Sephiroth.

The difference between the two is that Kefka actually has a personality, and his presence actually carries some sort of weight. Sephrioth's only saving grace are his character design and arguably his theme music. Take those away from him and he'll probably be the most forgettable villain in all video games.

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Valknut4

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

MadVybz

The difference between the two is that Kefka actually has a personality, and his presence actually carries some sort of weight. Sephrioth's only saving grace are his character design and arguably his theme music. Take those away from him and he'll probably be the most forgettable villain in all video games.

All you have to do is ask yourself did Seph live up to his last fight? Thats a no, broing an easy.

Did Kefka live up to his last fight, Fallen angel red star says hello :(

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

MadVybz

You're missing the point. Sephiroth was never meant to be a "sadist" in the first place. Nowhere in the game did it ever show him taking "pleasure" in slaughtering innocent people the way Kefka did, but Sephiroth did so for the purpose of advancing his goals. Sephiroth is supposed to be a "sympathetic" type of villain, not the sadistic kind that Kefka represents. Either way, Sephiroth had far more character depth than Kefka did, so if anything, that would mean it's Kefka that has less of a developed "personality" than Sephiroth.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] Uh... but Kefka is also a "sadist with a god complex"... In fact, Kefka is way more sadistic than Sephiroth.

Jag85

You're missing the point. Sephiroth was never meant to be a "sadist" in the first place. Nowhere in the game did it ever show him taking "pleasure" in slaughtering innocent people the way Kefka did, but Sephiroth did so for the purpose of advancing his goals. Sephiroth is supposed to be a "sympathetic" type of villain, not the sadistic kind that Kefka represents. Either way, Sephiroth had far more character depth than Kefka did, so if anything, that would mean it's Kefka that has less of a developed "personality" than Sephiroth.

When was the last time you even played FF7? Genuinely curious.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#40 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Kefka, by far.

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Valknut4

MadVybz

Nibelheim Fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6LWtGY-LAY

Only the most famous scene in the whole game were cry baby mama's boy goes on an emo rampage killing a whole village. An well he doesn't joke about it like Kefka, he does laugh about it. It has very little emotional bearing on him at all. You can read that when cloud confronts him at the reactor.

Kefka well he does have his comical moments, doesn't understand why people bother to live life, he doesnt get why should you live knowing your only going to die no matter what you do. He is what I think most consider a person without a "Soul", or the lack of "Hope". He conveys this message unlike every other villain, which in there dying breaths has a glint of understanding, no he dies knowing nothing more then when he was alive, true to his character right until the end.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

MadVybz

Just a week ago, when I was trying out the HD bootleg mods for the PC version.

When was the last time you played FFVI or FFVII?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jag85

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

Valknut4

Nibelheim Fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6LWtGY-LAY

Only the most famous scene in the whole game were cry baby mama's boy goes on an emo rampage killing a whole village. An well he doesn't joke about it like Kefka, he does laugh about it. It has very little emotional bearing on him at all. You can read that when cloud confronts him at the reactor.

Kefka well he does have his comical moments, doesn't understand why people bother to live life, he doesnt get why should you live knowing your only going to die no matter what you do. He is what I think most consider a person without a "Soul", or the lack of "Hope". He conveys this message unlike every other villain, which in there dying breaths has a glint of understanding, no he dies knowing nothing more then when he was alive, true to his character right until the end.

Apples and oranges. One is an emotion-less sadistic clown, while the other is an over-emotional mass-murderer with mother issues. The former is clearly more evil, while the latter clearly has more character depth and is more believable than the former, but it's a pretty pointless comparison to begin with. The former is not supposed to have depth, and the latter is not supposed to be outright evil. It's just two different antagonist archetypes.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] You're missing the point. Sephiroth was never meant to be a "sadist" in the first place. Nowhere in the game did it ever show him taking "pleasure" in slaughtering innocent people the way Kefka did, but Sephiroth did so for the purpose of advancing his goals. Sephiroth is supposed to be a "sympathetic" type of villain, not the sadistic kind that Kefka represents. Either way, Sephiroth had far more character depth than Kefka did, so if anything, that would mean it's Kefka that has less of a developed "personality" than Sephiroth.

Jag85

This is problably what shows our difference in opinions.

I have both original copies of VI and VII and those are the ones I use to judge the game's quality, simply because that's what everyone went crazy over and became fanatics of. As time went on, people were able to fill VII's plot holes with a load of bullsh!t and fix the huge issues that were prevalent with the initial releases, both with re-releases of VII, its prequels and Advent Children.

That being said, I don't know what improvements have been put in place on recent iterations of VII; all I know is that the original is full of mistranslations, 2 dimensional characters (with loads of inconsistencies at that), tons of plot holes and an overall dull narrative.

The last time I played VII was just over the summer and VI the summer before. So both games are still relatively fresh in my mind, at least when it comes to the main antagonists. And by far, Kefka has far more personality than Sephiroth, simply going by exposition. You spend more time chasing a ghost in VII than characterizing it, so by the time you actually meet up with the big baddy, the whole ordeal rings hallow.

Kefka on the other hand is encountered much more frequently and is all-round a more memorable villain since he has ample screen-time to become a well-rounded character. His unique personality also gives him a bonus since Sephiroth rings similar to loads of anime-esque main villains.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Gotta Go with Kefka, but I did really like Golbez. FFIV was my first FF game and every time Golbez' music came on I knew it was about to hit the fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Sephiroth, I remember when I was a kid how much I hated him for killing aerith. Now I see a lot of people saying Kefka, I have yet to play FF 6, I'm currently playing FF 4 so it's not anytime soon

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Sephiroth, I remember when I was a kid how much I hated him for killing aerith. Now I see a lot of people saying Kefka, I have yet to play FF 6, I'm currently playing FF 4 so it's not anytime soon

da_illest101

FFIV is great, but FFVI is just OMFG. So good. I just replayed it a few months back and it was even better than I remembered.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

MadVybz

This is problably what shows our difference in opinions.

I have both original copies of VI and VII and those are the ones I use to judge the game's quality, simply because that's what everyone went crazy over and became fanatics of. As time went on, people were able to fill VII's plot holes with a load of bullsh!t and fix the huge issues that were prevalent with the initial releases, both with re-releases of VII, its prequels and Advent Children.

That being said, I don't know what improvements have been put in place on recent iterations of VII; all I know is that the original is full of mistranslations, 2 dimensional characters (with loads of inconsistencies at that), tons of plot holes and an overall dull narrative.

The last time I played VII was just over the summer and VI the summer before. So both games are still relatively fresh in my mind, at least when it comes to the main antagonists. And by far, Kefka has far more personality than Sephiroth, simply going by exposition. You spend more time chasing a ghost in VII than characterizing it, so by the time you actually meet up with the big baddy, the whole ordeal rings hallow.

Kefka on the other hand is encountered much more frequently and is all-round a more memorable villain since he has ample screen-time to become a well-rounded character. His unique personality also gives him a bonus since Sephiroth rings similar to loads of anime-esque main villains.

There's not much difference between the original FFVII and the PC HD bootleg version. All it does is upgrade the graphics (increasing the resolution to HD and replacing the lego character models with normal-looking models) and audio (replacing the MIDI files with orchestrated music), while fixing the spelling errors that plagued the original English translation. Other than that, it's more or less the same game.

I think what made Sephiroth insteresting is exactly for the reasons you dislike him: the mysteriousness. Throughout the whole game, we only hear about him, but never actually meet him until the end. But up until then, we get a lot of information about his backstory, and get to replay his past. It shows us how he was like before becoming evil, showing us his emotions and weakness, and pointing out how he wasn't always evil, thus making him feel more 'human'. Some of this might seem 'cliche' today, but back then, it was uncommon in RPGs.

With Kefka, we never really see the 'human' side to him. He certainly had a lot of 'personality' because of the way he laughs and cracks jokes (something we'd never see from the stoic Sephiroth), but otherwise we never see any emotion from him, or learn anything about his backstory. He's certainly a more likeable villain, because he can make us laugh even while despising him (kind of like The Joker), but I just didn't feel he was nearly as well-developed as a character.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I like Kefka cuz I like jesters, I think I prefer Kuja overall though. One of my most memorable scenes though is from FF13, I barely count this as an actual FF game but I gotta say I get the goosebumps when I watch Orphan introduce themselves in the end. You know the whole ""We are the Abandoned One, born but now to die. Our name is Orphan. By our hand, the world shall know redemption."

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#50 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

GENESIS! :D That dude is awesome.

Also:

Estuans interius ira vehementi

Estuans interius ira vehementi