Favorite feature(s) in Fallout 4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for encryptedknight
EncryptedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 EncryptedKnight
Member since 2014 • 32 Posts

Hey GameSpot Community, what is your favorite feature(s) in Fallout 4 and are there any features you dislike?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I like the new perk system, the lack of a karma meter, and the new power armor mechanics.

EncryptedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EncryptedKnight

@mastermetal777: Yeah for sure, I agree with that. What do you think of the amount of customization options and no direct skill level progressions? There will also be user supported mods coming out in the future hosted by Bethesda for consoles and PC, very excited for this.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@encryptedknight: the customization is actually pretty overwhelming. There's just so many things to make. And I'm glad there's no direct skills, because it allows players to figure out how they want to play without unknowingly restricting themselves with specific builds. I'm not sure about the mods yet, though.

allbulldogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By allbulldogg
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

i miss things not breaking. i wish it was a option that could be turned on

EncryptedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EncryptedKnight

@allbulldogg: Yeah, I actually liked the weapon/armor durability feature in the past games as well but don't mind it just like Skyrim.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I like how more meaty the Power armors feel. In the previous games you didn't really get any sense of weight when you wore one and simply seemed to glide along the wasteland as if you were in Jeans and a t-shirt.

Now the steps sound and feel like they're heavy and you are a walking tank like the power armor is supposed to be.

Perk system is more organized and you can then better plan what perks you want or improve one of the S.P.E.C.I.A.L.'s to unlock a desire perk.

If I can mention one flaw in my opinion, Holotapes, notes, keys etc. all being bundled together under Misc in the Pipboy. Surely one could've put Holotapes under it's own chategory.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Enemy A.I. is far better in this game and the gunplay is acceptable and far more impactful.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Power Armor and armor customization in general - I like playing with the different sections and underlays until I get the look i want, I got a good one at moment that's a bit tarty but going overboard while offering decent enough protection (I always put style over substance) but then we got the Power Armor for the times when you just want to tank. Radiation Storms are awesome, drapes the game in atmosphere when they occur. The female voice actress for the protagonist is pretty good, not overly generic. Although the one downside to having a voice actor/acress is that you can no longer make a strongly African American or Hispanic characters without having a voice that doesn't quite suit. I tend to just roll with it and either make her white or go half breed.

One weird thing, if you play as the chick you have this 3 month old baby, yet your tummy is as flat and tucked in as a super models.

snatchypooh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 snatchypooh
Member since 2004 • 51 Posts

I love the settlement creation. The new AI is great. I'm also really enjoying the weapon/armor crafting. I do miss the karma a little bit because I don't get the feel that my actions in the game matter as much anymore.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Also, All of Goodneighbor. A 1940's style post apocalyptic town of hard arses, anarchy, sex, drugs and jazz music.

StephenLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12 StephenLee
Member since 2015 • 45 Posts

@mastermetal777: yes the power armor mechanics are awesome it makes power armor feel more special. And the perk system is awesome

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I like the crafting.

@stephenlee said:

@mastermetal777: yes the power armor mechanics are awesome it makes power armor feel more special. And the perk system is awesome

I like the power armor.

The perks sucks so much. It the main reason that Fallout 4 is a 7 instead of a 9. It just bad and it make the game less open than Fallout 3. It took out all the good complexity and replace it with horrible simplicity. I have a hard time calling it a RPG.

StephenLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StephenLee

@wiouds: I can see what you mean. I like how they have the perk system setup but I do miss the skill system I kno what u mean about it not feeling like a full rpg.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wiouds

@stephenlee said:

@wiouds: I can see what you mean. I like how they have the perk system setup but I do miss the skill system I kno what u mean about it not feeling like a full rpg.

It does limit the amount of role playing game play. I can play S.T,A,L.K.E.R, and get the same game play.

StephenLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StephenLee

@wiouds: i never played that game but it always had seemed like a fallout game. Did you at least enjoy the story

snatchypooh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 snatchypooh

I like the new perk system. Each time I level up I feel like my character is actually gaining something. The skills in Fallout 3 just seemed way too tedious. I felt like I had to level up 5 times before my character was improved.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wiouds

@stephenlee said:

@wiouds: i never played that game but it always had seemed like a fallout game. Did you at least enjoy the story

It is alright.

@snatchypooh said:

I like the new perk system. Each time I level up I feel like my character is actually gaining something. The skills in Fallout 3 just seemed way too tedious. I felt like I had to level up 5 times before my character was improved.

It the other way for me. I am 20+ and I still feel my character has not improve at all in the game play. The perk system is just too dull and offer little compared to the older system. I would pick the skill system in Fallout 3 over the less fun perk system of Fallout 4.

snatchypooh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By snatchypooh

@wiouds: Really? In Fallout 3 you have to keep adding points to skills and usually spread them out. Sometimes you have to level up three times just to get tot the next level for lock picking. Now I level up and take the lock picking perk and I'm ready to start picking the next level of locks. Same goes with crafting guns and armor.

Regardless, I don't think it's a big deal in the game. The sense of adventure trumps everything else in this game.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wiouds

@snatchypooh said:

@wiouds: Really? In Fallout 3 you have to keep adding points to skills and usually spread them out. Sometimes you have to level up three times just to get tot the next level for lock picking. Now I level up and take the lock picking perk and I'm ready to start picking the next level of locks. Same goes with crafting guns and armor.

Regardless, I don't think it's a big deal in the game. The sense of adventure trumps everything else in this game.

Fallout 3 gave more open way to level you character which affect your character role in the game play. Fallout 4 you have one role you play with not way to meaningfully change it. Then you level up in Fallout 4 and skip it since it does not matter. The only thing that matter in the RNG.

For Fallout 4 you need yo wait 5 level for something and you have 7 point for perk because they are all worthless and does so little.

I have it a huge problem with the game and how it take away some of the wonder and enjoyment of the game. It just make the sense of adventure almost gone from the game.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I really like the addition of the base building stuff. A pretty fun diversion from the rest of the game. I also like the power armor mechanics. As far as a comparison to Fallout 3, I like that the wasteland feels more alive.

I don't like the removal of the skills system. That was a key part the heart of Fallout and they killed it. I also don't like the removal of traits. It almost seems like Bethesda wanted to make an open world shooter and just threw together a small RPG system to pacify old Fallout fans. I also don't like the bland writing and characters typical of Bethesda. Well, I shouldn't say don't like. It's more like indifference.

Overall I'm really enjoying the game. It could be better, but I feel it was well worth the money I spent on it. I'm hoping Bethesda lets Obsidian put out another Fallout game that improves on Fallout 4 as much as New Vegas did on 3 (a lot).