Favorite Dark Souls build?

#1 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

Mine would have to be melee fighter. I love getting in close to enemies and bringing them down with close range weapons. It's empowering since the games are so challenging, too, and makes each success feel like a true victory. What's your favorite Dark Souls build (applies to Dark Souls II and hell, even Demon's Souls)?

Also, Lululu, please try to refrain from commenting on Dark Souls. Go play the game first.

#2 Posted by XOne_ShotX91 (152 posts) -

Lmao, I love the shout out to our friend Lu.

Anyways, I started out Dark Souls as an Elite Knight.

I just bought Dark Souls 2 today, so I have started it (Bought it about half hour before work, lol), but I'll probably do the same thing for now.

#4 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

@jeager_titan: I've found that Dex weapons don't have enough oomph for me. I much prefer strength weapons; In Dark souls II I used a vanilla +10 Greatsword and it was great. The thing kicked absolute ass. Maybe it's because I like hitting hard more than hitting fast. But a friend of mine loves doing DEX builds; he even made a character dedicated to using Quelaag's Fury Sword as the main weapon (although when he got to demon centipede it went about as well as you'd expect).

#5 Edited by mastermetal777 (2340 posts) -

I'm a strength build all the way, but I love to stay as mobile as possible, so I do medium armor with my strength weapons. Move fast, hit hard. That's my strategy for all 3 games.

#6 Edited by SovietsUnited (2380 posts) -

#7 Posted by XOne_ShotX91 (152 posts) -

Real quick, is there anything I can do to be able to hit faster with a greatsword? I dont quite understand exactly what the stats and scaling does and all that, but I'd appreciate it if somebody could clear that little question up for me, lol

#8 Posted by locus-solus (597 posts) -

@xone_shotx91 said:

Real quick, is there anything I can do to be able to hit faster with a greatsword? I dont quite understand exactly what the stats and scaling does and all that, but I'd appreciate it if somebody could clear that little question up for me, lol

scaling just makes the weapon more powerful it doesn't increase the speed of the weapon.

#9 Posted by alim298 (2073 posts) -

Am I the only person with an agility based build?

I love it. Swords whips bows staffs I've got them all. The lack of light armor variety is very noticeable in souls game but ah well. Using the whips seems to be very hard. I was planning to build a belmont lol.

#10 Posted by SovietsUnited (2380 posts) -

@alim298 said:

Using the whips seems to be very hard. I was planning to build a belmont lol.

I tried the same, it's borderline masochistic lol

#11 Posted by mastermetal777 (2340 posts) -

@xone_shotx91: as far as I know, stats only boost the weapon's attributes, not their speed. That all depends on how fast you react.

#12 Edited by uninspiredcup (12884 posts) -

In single player games I always play rogue and multiplayer (mmo) Tank,

The parrying and backstabbing in Darksouls is incredibly fun.

#13 Posted by foxhound_fox (90826 posts) -

My SL5 Pyromancer that I took through to Four Kings and turned into a Undead Burg red phantom dominator.

#14 Edited by Minishdriveby (10488 posts) -

Dark Souls I just tanked everything; it got to the point where it became almost a hack and slash for most bosses. Dark Souls II I started out with a tank build, but then realized multiple bosses are hordes of enemies, and so I stopped focusing on strength and started focusing on faith (miracles) because it seems most enemies are allergic to lightning in the second game.

Demon's Souls I used a spell caster, and it broke the game. A lot of bosses go down in one shot with spells.

#15 Edited by commonfate (12856 posts) -

Ninja-ish garb and high dexterity with curved swords and a bow to draw aggro. Always feels so satisfying to dance around enemies.

#16 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

General? Strength/Faith combination. Blessed Weapons, Miracles and the Dragon Bone Smasher in Demon's. Later did Str/Fth again in Dark Souls... Sunlight Blade Large Club+15 w/Lightning Spears. Mostly the same in Souls 2. But here I get to use the Dragon Chime with my Sunlight Spears and the output is absurd.

However, i'm a big fan of fists only w/the Vanquisher's Seal in Souls 2. Just so much fun punching everything.

#17 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

@SovietsUnited said:

I should have known at least one person would post this mofo.

#18 Posted by psp_mtness (814 posts) -

ive been loving the game since i picked it up last week,

currently im building a strength based tank build really enjoying the diversity of it.

#19 Edited by PyratRum (558 posts) -

Strength based melee. I love nothing more than wielding those massive ass swords/axes that just completely destroy an enemy in one or two hits.

My Zweihander build has been particularly fun in DS1.

#20 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

@pyratrum: Me too, I love wielding the Great Sword in DS2. It wrecks shit.

#22 Edited by silversix_ (16241 posts) -

In what Souls game? In DkS2 at SL150 my fav is a faith build with Black Dragon Greatsword, the 4 hitter (run/r1,r1,r2,r2) is just too juicy

#23 Posted by c_rakestraw (14793 posts) -

I've always been a fan of the quality builds (high strength and dexterity). I only ever use pure melee builds, so they're a perfect fit for my play-style. Plus, the best weapon in the entire series -- the good ol' longsword -- works best with that sort of build, so... yeah.