Fave classic tactical shooter/franchise

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

These type of games are characterized by an emphasis on military/police realism, heavy use of tactics and punishing difficulty.

The "official" father of the genre is Rainbow Six, but there were attempts to re-create more realistic-feel in FPS games before that. (e.g. GoldenEye 007, NAM, ect.)

The genre was the strongest on PC but consoles also got several ports. (for example Ghost Recon 2 was a console-exclusive - never played it myself tho)

Anyway, for me, Operation Flashpoint was the best of them all.

At the time, it was trully amazing to play a "real" military war game with single-shot deaths (including yourself), smart AI, usable (combat) vehicles and a huge open world without any loading during gameplay.

Games like Delta Force, (poor but interesting) Wargasm and BattleZone paved the way, but the concept of a fully open-world military game was not achieved untill Operation Flashpoint came out. (the game later spawned the "Arma" series - the current-gen OFP titles are off-shots and not connected to the original OFP in other than name)

Did you play any yourself and which did you enjoy the most?

#2 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

I remember spending a huge amount of time with Operation Flashpoint when it was new, very good game, only problem was the punishing difficulty , if your performace wasn't stellar in every mission , it was game over more or less.

#3 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17348 posts) -

I used to play the crap out of America's Army 1.5-2.0. Insurgent camp, pipeline, hospital, and warehouse were my territory.

#4 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I remember spending a huge amount of time with Operation Flashpoint when it was new, very good game, only problem was the punishing difficulty , if your performace wasn't stellar in every mission , it was game over more or less.

Darkman2007

Yea, it was difficult, but once you got used to the controls and all, it was difficult to go back to other military games.

Atleast that's what happend to me...

The game also had a *huge* modding community who still make mods for it to this day.

#5 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I used to play the crap out of America's Army 1.5-2.0. Insurgent camp, pipeline, hospital, and warehouse were my territory.

Renegade_Fury

I never made it past the training myself.

I know... :P

#6 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

Rainbow Six 1-3 and their expansions. I also loved the Xbox version of RS3 and the exclusive Black Arrow, despite being watered-down.

#7 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
SWAT 4 had many tense moments in campaign, and especially in online multiplayer. Co-Op was also excellent. The game also made nice use of Unreal Engine 2 (maybe 2.5) - the same one used for Tribes: Vengeance.
#8 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8063 posts) -
Rainbow Six, played so much of the first, Rogue Spear, and 3 back when they came out.
#9 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17348 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

nameless12345

I never made it past the training myself.

I know... :P

:|

It was free, man. No excuses. I'd say go play it now, but from what I hear, AAO has been dead since 3.0 came out.

#10 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

Playing Rainbow Six back in the day. That game was so intense at the time, I remember actually caring about whether I lost men or not.

#11 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

No Goldeneye or Syphon Filter?

#12 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8063 posts) -

Emerald_Warrior
I don't remember Syphon Filter very well but Goldeneye is not a tactical shooter.
#13 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Emerald_Warrior

First is a FPS with light stealth elements, second is a TPS with some stealth elements.

We're talking about squad-based games with heavy emphasis on tactics, stealth and realism (i.e. one-shot kills, heavy recoil, bullet physics, ect.) here.