Far Cry 4 Racism

#1 Posted by iamllamapie (211 posts) -

PC has gone overboard. Can't they see that a man is killing another man, not based on his skin but on the fact he's a bad person? That this man has enslaved a man not because of his skin but the fact he is weak and he is strong?

Why is it always linked to skin rather than occupation/background?

As you can tell, this is about critics pointing out the FC4 cover is racist because a "white" man is more or less dominating an Asian man. Well, turns out the "white" man is Asian and it's all okay now. Do you know what I find racist? The fact it wasn't allowed to be a white man.

#2 Edited by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

You can't cure dumb unfortunately. And seems like political agendas are seeping into all of life's activities, including gaming.

Funny thing is...The term racism has been so twisted and redefined that hardly anyone understands what it really is anymore.

#3 Edited by Chatch09 (307 posts) -

I cant stand when this happens. Just like when those idiots called RE5 racist. IM BLACK and I know that OBVIOUSLY the game isnt racist, it was just set in Africa. Why wasnt it racist when it was set in America and you were killing white zombies? Oh the hypocrisy...

#4 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18273 posts) -

There are people who ask for nothing better than an excuse to act offended.

As the Poet said: "Let us not speak of them, but look, and pass"

#5 Edited by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Yeah its stupidity but its stupidity we will have to deal with until games finally cross over the hump in public perception as more than kids toys.

#6 Edited by BattleSpectre (5963 posts) -

What do you expect from the press and gamers man? They find any excuse to bitch and complain, why do you all seem surprised?

#7 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

oh my god the game hasn't even released yet and some asshole critics have started doing their job.

Seriously this is the limit of being dumb. We dont even know who that white man is or that asian.Maybe that asian is a white man with a tan.

#8 Edited by Treflis (11477 posts) -

It's about as silly as the whole Resident Evil 5 racism thing

#9 Posted by Bigboi500 (29328 posts) -

I hate race baiters.

#10 Edited by uninspiredcup (7832 posts) -

I thought Far Cry 3 (not 4) was a great game. But I wont defend it "because". I found it pretty offensive. Games like Grand Theft Auto 4 or Postal 2 are deliberately doing it so to get a rise out of people. I don't take it seriously.

By constant, Far Cry 3 seems a genuinely deeply cynical game. The white American 20 something bro man (you are suppose to identity with) on the island for 5 minutes helping the natives with his magic negro syndrome. I mean, really? I hope Spike Lee didn't play this game, dudes head would explode.

#11 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16673 posts) -

People will always bitch and moan about video games. There's always something to pick at, even the dumbest shit. Hell, even gamers do it, but it's less about a fake attempt to be PC and more about being nitpicky assholes.

#12 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15916 posts) -

PC has gone overboard. Can't they see that a man is killing another man, not based on his skin but on the fact he's a bad person? That this man has enslaved a man not because of his skin but the fact he is weak and he is strong?

Why is it always linked to skin rather than occupation/background?

As you can tell, this is about critics pointing out the FC4 cover is racist because a "white" man is more or less dominating an Asian man. Well, turns out the "white" man is Asian and it's all okay now. Do you know what I find racist? The fact it wasn't allowed to be a white man.

F-it. Who cares? Just play the game when it comes out.

#13 Edited by Behardy24 (3059 posts) -

I'm going to throw a random bone here and say that person who made that critique probably real hates video games.

#14 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16117 posts) -

Even if it was racist, what if that's the point? One of the games major themes could be about race. However, video gaming can never be a serious medium as long as we have fuckwits who draw premature conclusions.

I seriously hope that Ubisoft actually has balls and doesn't change the art just because of a small vocal minority.

#15 Posted by iamllamapie (211 posts) -

By constant, Far Cry 3 seems a genuinely deeply cynical game. The white American 20 something bro man (you are suppose to identity with) on the island for 5 minutes helping the natives with his magic negro syndrome. I mean, really? I hope Spike Lee didn't play this game, dudes head would explode.

But the story is you are a tourist that had been captured by slavers. after escaping the natives of the island (Dennis) shows you the ropes of combat and how not only do your friends need saving but so does the Island from Hoyt.

The pirates a mostly black. So what? A lot of pirates are from Africa in this day and age, not to mention the second half of the game you're killing, almost exclusively, white American mercs. It's not as if Ubisoft thought "Let's make a game in which a white American saves an oppressed Island from black people, because black people are evil slavers.". Like I said, don't judge the killing on colour. Judge it on the person's profession.

#16 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15916 posts) -

@iamllamapie said:

@uninspiredcup said:

But the story is you are a tourist that had been captured by slavers. after escaping the natives of the island (Dennis) shows you the ropes of combat and how not only do your friends need saving but so does the Island from Hoyt.

The pirates a mostly black. So what? A lot of pirates are from Africa in this day and age, not to mention the second half of the game you're killing, almost exclusively, white American mercs. It's not as if Ubisoft thought "Let's make a game in which a white American saves an oppressed Island from black people, because black people are evil slavers.". Like I said, don't judge the killing on colour. Judge it on the person's profession.

He can always go to the second island and wipe out the "white" mercenaries. Hell, he can just shoot the natives and be an equal opportunity killer.

#17 Edited by iamllamapie (211 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: So the player has the option to kill 3 different races, one in which is his own. that must make GTA the worst offender.

but what's your opinion on games that are set in a certain timeline and don't exactly follow what's historically correct? Like Red Dead Redemption where blacks seem to have equal rights as white yet that wasn't the case in reality.

#18 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

What do you expect from the press and gamers man? They find any excuse to bitch and complain, why do you all seem surprised?

I don't think people are surprised, just annoyed cause it's happening at an absurd rate now.

#19 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15916 posts) -

@iamllamapie said:

@jun_aka_pekto: So the player has the option to kill 3 different races, one in which is his own. that must make GTA the worst offender.

but what's your opinion on games that are set in a certain timeline and don't exactly follow what's historically correct? Like Red Dead Redemption where blacks seem to have equal rights as white yet that wasn't the case in reality.

There was a degree of lawlessness in the Old West. I would imagine those who have had a history of warfare would stand the best chances of fitting in (rather than skin color). The white man, the American Indian, the Mexicans. They've had a history of warfare in the West. Same goes for the black man. They too had their share (eg the Buffalo soldiers). I think the one race that didn't fit in at all were the Chinese. No history of being war-like in the US. I would think they would've had the worst problem trying to fit in.

Buffalo Soldiers:

#20 Posted by DraugenCP (8469 posts) -

When the PC adepts are starting to affect even my most mundane activities, I seriously start to consider living in the country where noone can bother me. Please donate.

#21 Posted by Justin_G (198 posts) -

lol race

#22 Posted by uninspiredcup (7832 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

That's exactly what a "magic negro" trope is. Black man with mystical or special knowledge aiding the white man ignorant of the ways of the force so the white man, not the black man, can fulfill his destiny. Dennis is pretty much the friggin epitome of that. It's not even remotely hidden. Within 5 minutes of he game Dennis is touching you up telling you how oh so wonderful and amazing you are.

#23 Edited by Treflis (11477 posts) -

@iamllamapie said:

@uninspiredcup said:

That's exactly what a "magic negro" trope is. Black man with mystical or special knowledge aiding the white man ignorant of the ways of the force so the white man, not the black man, can fulfill his destiny. Dennis is pretty much the friggin epitome of that. It's not even remotely hidden. Within 5 minutes of he game Dennis is touching you up telling you how oh so wonderful and amazing you are.

Quick thought. Don't disagree with you because it is true the character falls within that chategory. But anyways, Quick thought.

What if the protaganist was a dark skinned man and Dennis was a white guy? Would that be more acceptable or spark even larger controversy?

#24 Posted by uninspiredcup (7832 posts) -

@Treflis said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@iamllamapie said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Quick thought. Don't disagree with you because it is true the character falls within that chategory. But anyways, Quick thought.

What if the protaganist was a dark skinned man and Dennis was a white guy? Would that be more acceptable or spark even larger controversy?

No idea. I think the issue is more the reason for using it. If you mean a certain sect of group get a free pass, I'd agree. it seems quite clear Steven Spielberg movies deliberately favors Jewish actors whenever possible. And another example being the absence of British people in SPR but he manages to fill in a spot for a wise cracking Jewish character taking vengeance on the Nazi's. To me that totally gets a free pass and to even criticize it basically makes you Mel Gibson.

#25 Posted by Treflis (11477 posts) -

@Treflis said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@iamllamapie said:

@uninspiredcup said:

No idea. I think the issue is more the reason for using it. If you mean a certain sect of group get a free pass, I'd agree. it seems quite clear Steven Spielberg movies deliberately favors Jewish actors whenever possible. And another example being the absence of British people in SPR but he manages to fill in a spot for a wise cracking Jewish character taking vengeance on the Nazi's. To me that totally gets a free pass and to even criticize it basically makes you Mel Gibson.

Interesting point.

Personally I was just ponding if not the reversal of roles would pull in the " the black protaganist wouldn't be able to do the things he could without the help of a white man" argument that Django Unchained was given or if it'd be more acceptable. I personally don't have a definite answer myself but I'd think the likely outcome would be the first.

I dunno, maybe things within stories have been done so often it's given a negative attachment regardless.

#26 Posted by eternal_napalm (12 posts) -

I'm sick of the race card. I have zero tolerance for bullshit race baiting. It's a game, and games from time to time A.) intentionally depict racism sometimes as a facet for bad guys and B.) slavery isn't always based on race in fiction. The politically correct can go screw themselves.

#27 Posted by kingcrimson24 (456 posts) -

I think that is the bad guy on the cover , and bad guys do bad things like being racist , right ?

#28 Edited by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

No one's going to post the actual cover? LOL

I'd probably need more info on the actual game before I judge. Something about that cover seems really tasteless though but I can't quite put my finger on it...

#29 Posted by platinumking320 (666 posts) -

I'd probably need more info on the actual game before I judge. Something about that cover seems really tasteless though but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Vaas burying Jason the sand with two gats in hand looked kinda poser-ish too. Though maybe not as prone to trigger articles.

Look closer and you can see the asian in him. looks like some Nepalese dude whos been "Hoyt Volker-ized" or western capitalized and kicking sand upon his homeland, his roots. That scratchy voiced Aussie 'Hoyt' wasn't the best of villains either, came off more as a shock villain to gamers, compared to someone with passion like Vaas.
but I wish ol Kotaku would reserve a bit more judgement till the game is out. I get more disgusted honestly at Microsoft Surface commericals showing people break dancing (what does that have to do with computers), than shock posters like this. At least Ubisoft isn't doing the whole...."your mom will hate this game. Remember that BS? Heh-Heh."

#30 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3477 posts) -

I doubt farcry 4 is racist. its good free publicity anyways for the game

#31 Posted by iamllamapie (211 posts) -

@Old_Gooseberry: Publicity for the wrong reason. "How did you get all those sales? Critical acclaim?". "actually, we were accused of racism".

#32 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3477 posts) -

@Old_Gooseberry: Publicity for the wrong reason. "How did you get all those sales? Critical acclaim?". "actually, we were accused of racism".

lol, when you put it that way it sounds bad.

#33 Edited by firefox59 (4359 posts) -

@iamllamapie said:

lol, when you put it that way it sounds bad.

Replace what he said with "we were involved in controversy" and you're golden. The masses love controversy. Everyone HAS to see what it's about and experience it for themselves.

#34 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (272 posts) -

Well the oppressor is obviously gay for starters but the tasteless part to me looks like the AK and rocket launcher just sitting there for no real reason. Do away with the two guys and it would be a perfectly fine cover.

#35 Edited by iamllamapie (211 posts) -

@Lucky_Krystal said:

Well the oppressor is obviously gay for starters but the tasteless part to me looks like the AK and rocket launcher just sitting there for no real reason. Do away with the two guys and it would be a perfectly fine cover.

Gay?! What about the children that are going to play this 18 rated game?!?! Someone think of the children! I'll tell some critics about this and we'll see what they have to say about it, too.

That's sarcasm, just in case.

#36 Posted by sukraj (22131 posts) -

There are people who ask for nothing better than an excuse to act offended.

As the Poet said: "Let us not speak of them, but look, and pass"

I agree lol way too many people get easily offended.

#37 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18273 posts) -

Did anyone point out that the villain is quite clearly Patrick Stewart in a bad wig?