Far Cry 4 Developer interviews

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

Awesome discussion. I know I have to maintain cynicism seeing how this gen is going but its great to have discussion where directors get back to realizing what games are and aren't. Thats one step to getting back to what was great about 6th gen games. Its okay for them to feel real and fake at times, as long as they know what they're doing.

Its great that devs take trips to places to at least have a solid understanding of the world and people they depict in game. Rockstar devs went to LA talked to people.

Good comment from the director about taking risks, which is the same thing I heard from Kojima about MGS5, and even Cheshire Cat Studios. Opposers hold up the criticism that games can't be just games, but have to be responsible if they want to be regarded as culturally important.

And I think devs already do realize that to some degree, a lot of controversial games throughout history do take some precautions when going into murky territory even when they may be ignorant of how others perceive the overall package.

To that either "responsible or irrelevant" criticism, there's a simple flipside of the coin for the same criticizers who..its like...we want games to be recognized as art, but as soon as they go in a direction we don't like they're suddenly garbage? Worth judging other people upon? Then what does art exist for originally? Itself or us? How much is it the game or its perception in the eye of the beholder?

Nothing'll be good enough for tumblr tho. Which I still find ridiculously weird. All this cultural appropriation hash tag shit. Sheesh bored teens. Its not the same as Elvis and Rock & Roll, rewriting African history, or taking something that a culture made, completely erasing their historical footprint and saying colonial powers invented it. Its just engaging with different cultures which is inevitable in our globalized society, and something we all do without realizing it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@platinumking320: I think him actually saying that AC 3 wasn't perfect and that he wanted more than he could achieve really told the story. Also combined with the massive overhaul of the engine made the game a mess