#1 Posted by MissMonroe1995 (15 posts) -

im not into fps games but i was wondering if theres an option for that? can you play it in third person shooter? the game looks just amazing and i wanna play it but afraid i wont like it if its a first person shooter so can you change it to a third person shooter? also is the game good? is it the kind of game you could play for hours on end? kinda like uncharted, played that game for hours and finished it in 12, i really need to get a life lol

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30856 posts) -

No you can't play in in third person

#3 Posted by SoNin360 (5567 posts) -

If you can't get over it being a FPS, you probably won't enjoy it. But if you're willing to get past that, you should definitely give it a chance. It's an open world game with a decent amount of things to do. I think I put a good 25-30 hours into it, doing most of what there was to do, before setting it down.

#4 Posted by ptrpedrohung (189 posts) -

I understand if FPS is not your thing, but this game is so much more than that. It is also and RPG, Adventure, and Platformer. It is indeed one of my favorite games of all time. It's really hard to put it down. On top of the great original content, the DLC seems to be pretty awesome too, although I personally haven't played the DLC. If you are looking for a rich open world game with a defined sense progress, I would recommend Far Cry 3 for sure.

#5 Posted by blamix99 (2252 posts) -

best game of 2012, FarCry 3 will make you love it.. even if it's fps

#6 Edited by Pffrbt (6588 posts) -

Far Cry 3 isn't worth playing. Tedious gameplay, sniper rifles trivialize all encounters, sidequests are all bland "kill X amount of Y" sort of things, the main characters are all disgustingly unlikable. If you don't like FPS then this game isn't going to change that.

#7 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

Far Cry 3 isn't worth playing. Tedious gameplay, sniper rifles trivialize all encounters, sidequests are all bland "kill X amount of Y" sort of things, the main characters are all disgustingly unlikable. If you don't like FPS then this game isn't going to change that.

No, not the characters!

#8 Edited by Pffrbt (6588 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

No, not the characters!

I've played a lot of games where there were characters that I hated, but this is one of the few where I actually had to stop playing because I couldn't stomach another cutscene with them. Seriously, look at this shit, it's like they purposefully set out to make all of the main characters some of the biggest douchebags on the planet:

#9 Posted by cooolio (516 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Yeah they are just cliche partying teens. The story was already nothing special, but they put the icing on the cake. And not the good icing.

#10 Posted by cooolio (516 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

The only thing that holds it up is the stealth. However, open world games are eaten up a lot these days. Decent gameplay and side activities are all people need to be amazed these days.

#11 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16694 posts) -

You're out of luck if you want it in third person.

The campaign is only good for one or two play throughs. But, once you're done with the campaign, you get the Reset Outpost mode while having all the perks you've gained such as wing suit and parachute, intact.

I find the Reset Outpost mode a blast. I liked it even more once someone figured out how to turn off the user interface such as minimap and messages on the PC version. The game is much better without those ridiculous training wheels.

Before and after:

#12 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16694 posts) -
@Pffrbt said:

Which parts are tedious? Far Cry 3 is one of the easier games to get into. As for the side quests, they're not all as you say.

See the legend? The Path of the Hunter, Wanted Dead, and Trial of the Rakyat (may or may not) involve killing. The rest don't.

#13 Posted by sukraj (23224 posts) -

Best shooter of 2012

#14 Edited by Pffrbt (6588 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Which parts are tedious?

Everything about the game in general.

#15 Posted by getyeryayasout (7762 posts) -

Loved every second of this game, but if FPS's aren't your thing maybe look for a demo first.

#16 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@geniobastardo said:

No, not the characters!

I've played a lot of games where there were characters that I hated, but this is one of the few where I actually had to stop playing because I couldn't stomach another cutscene with them. Seriously, look at this shit, it's like they purposefully set out to make all of the main characters some of the biggest douchebags on t

Who cares about these douchebags, I'm talking about the real deal, I mean Vaas, Buck and Jason (his development was a bit slow). Seriously, I never gave a damn about his friends and as we talk, they weren't even main characters of the story. Maybe put it like they were tools to drive the story.

#17 Posted by MissMonroe1995 (15 posts) -

well some of you definitely make the game sound good regardless of a FPS, whats the storyline like? if you guys could compare the game to anything what would you compare it to? might just get it anyways, if i dont like it my brother will so it wont be a loss.

#18 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16694 posts) -

I found the ultimate warrior dialogue parts corny such as that cutscene where Jason addresses the Rakyat at the temple. But, him and the other kids don't seem like dickheads to me. Stupid? Maybe. But, dickheads? Nah.

I'm not after a novel. So long as the story fits in adequately enough, it's fine with me. The game world is what I like the most. I prefer the Reset Outpost mode where I can just drop in and savor the world, not needing to be driven along by a story line. It would've been nice if Ubisoft made many of the SP campaign locations available such as the Chinese underground ruins. Then I wouldn't have to replay the SP campaign just to see them.

#19 Posted by getyeryayasout (7762 posts) -

@missmonroe1995: I was at the store earlier today and on the PS3 shelves there was a Farcry compilation that has FC2, FC3, and FC: Blood Dragon, all for $30. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

#20 Posted by MissMonroe1995 (15 posts) -

@getyeryayasout: sounds good! definitely have to try these games, hopefully they have such a good deal in ireland and if i dont like it its not much money lost, definitely worth a try!

#21 Posted by getyeryayasout (7762 posts) -

@missmonroe1995 said:

@getyeryayasout: sounds good! definitely have to try these games, hopefully they have such a good deal in ireland and if i dont like it its not much money lost, definitely worth a try!

I haven't played FC2 and it seems to have gotten a pretty mixed reception, FC3 and FC Blood Dragon (look for a demo) are both great fun. Blood Dragon has a nice mid-eighties vibe and is kind of what Duke Nukem Forever should've been. Good luck and have a ball.

#22 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16694 posts) -

I also have to say that on the Reset Outpost mode, both pirates and mercs will continually respawn within an outpost's circle of influence so long as that outpost is not yet liberated. Sometimes, they'd respawn right behind me which can be a drag sometimes. I have the UI turned off, including the minimap. So, when enemies respawn behind me, I have no way of knowing until I hear their chatter or they start shooting at me.

I purposely leave a number of outposts unliberated. Makes the FC3 world very interesting.

#23 Posted by HipHopBeats (2914 posts) -

Don't let your dislike for FPS games stop you from enjoying something you may end up loving. I used to despise FPS games until I played BIoshock a while back out of sheer curiosity. It changed my perspective on FPS games and opened me up to a whole new world of gaming I might have otherwise overlooked.

If you want FPS games you can play for hours on end, try Fallout 3 GOTY and Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition. They're both dirt cheap with tons of content. You can even switch to third person view even though it's not nearly as fun playing that way.

#24 Posted by thereal25 (484 posts) -

@HipHopBeats said:

Don't let your dislike for FPS games stop you from enjoying something you may end up loving. I used to despise FPS games until I played BIoshock a while back out of sheer curiosity. It changed my perspective on FPS games and opened me up to a whole new world of gaming I might have otherwise overlooked.

If you want FPS games you can play for hours on end, try Fallout 3 GOTY and Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition. They're both dirt cheap with tons of content. You can even switch to third person view even though it's not nearly as fun playing that way.

I thought f3 / new vegas were technically RPGs.

But I dig your point though, because I used to think that I didn't like rpgs so I was reluctant to give fallout 3 a chance. Very glad I did though.

#25 Posted by MissMonroe1995 (15 posts) -

@HipHopBeats: i heard bioshock was good but im not sure what its about. what would you compare it too? i played cod before but i wasnt all that keen on it. ive bought farcry 3 online so hopefully i love it. what is fallout 3 about or what would you compare it to? suppose theres no harm in giving it ago and again no money will be lost because im sure my brother will love it.

#26 Posted by MadVybz (2797 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@geniobastardo said:

No, not the characters!

I've played a lot of games where there were characters that I hated, but this is one of the few where I actually had to stop playing because I couldn't stomach another cutscene with them. Seriously, look at this shit, it's like they purposefully set out to make all of the main characters some of the biggest douchebags on the planet:

That's because they did. It was one of the main motifs of the game to get you questioning what was really important; Brody's previous life or the life he found on the islands.

#27 Edited by HipHopBeats (2914 posts) -

@missmonroe1995 said:

@HipHopBeats: i heard bioshock was good but im not sure what its about. what would you compare it too? i played cod before but i wasnt all that keen on it. ive bought farcry 3 online so hopefully i love it. what is fallout 3 about or what would you compare it to? suppose theres no harm in giving it ago and again no money will be lost because im sure my brother will love it.

At first, I used to hate to think all FPS games played like COD until I played Bioshock. If you hated COD and enjoy a good single player, Bioshock 1 and 2 is definitely worth the shot. The only thing they have in common is that they're both FPS games.

Bioshock 1 takes place during the 1st half of the 20th century (late 40's - early 60's) in an underwater city named Rapture. Rapture was built by an atheist, industrialist named Andrew Ryan and intended to be a utopia for people who believed in self, hard work, no religion, no God, no government. Ryan invited a psychiatrist from the surface, Sofia Lamb, to help citizens cope with life underwater.

Years after Rapture became an established city, sea slugs were discovered that secreted stem cells called Adam. Adam allowed Rapture citizens to manipulate their DNA, granting them physical and mental super powers, similar to X-men comics, more or less. Sometime after Adam was discovered, a female scientist named Tenebaum, found a way to reproduce Adam by implanting sea slugs into the stomachs of young girls. Young girls were chosen because their natural chemistry provided the best reproductive conditions for Adam.

Frank Fontaine, a ruthless businessman who funded Tenebaum's research, decided to set up an orphanage exclusively for these young girls as a breeding ground for Adam, so Adam could be produced in massive quantities for profit. The young girls in this orphanage became known as Little Sisters. Fontaine started selling Adam in liquid form, bottles called Tonics.

Eventually Ryan and Fontaine became rivals and went to war. Ryan eventually won the war but Rapture citizens became addicted to Adam during that time and have evolved into psychotic creatures called Splicers who fiend for Adam and will kill Little Sisters to get it. Ryan funded for protection of Little Sisters by creating monstrosities called Big Daddies.

Your character is on a plane that crash lands into the waters right above Rapture. There's much more to the story than meets the eye but I think you'll enjoy it. You can get the Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition for dirt cheap which includes both Bioshock 1 and 2 with all DLC's.

Fallout 3 / New Vegas can best be described as Skyrim with guns.

In Fallout 3, you are born and raised in Vault located in Washington DC, which is sheltered protection during a nuclear fallout from a world war that happened during the 1950's.

You are born 200 years after the war in a world with robots and technology but music and clothing still from the 1950's. During your teenage years, your father who is a world reknown scientist seeking a war to purify water which has become radiated, suddenly leaves the vault with no explanation.

You are suddenly blamed for crimes he apparently committed and must escape the vault and life as you know or be killed. You enter a world unknown to you when you reach the surface and must track down your father and understand why he did what he did.

New Vegas is similar story except that your character is a mail courier in Nevada who is shot in the head and robbed of his package he was supposed to deliver, You are rescued and nursed back to health and must track down your assailants.

There is way more lore to both Bioshock and Fallout stories than what I described but that's a general summary of the main character. Bioshock is basically an FPS with slight RPG mechanics. Fallout games are RPG's with FPS combat.

#28 Posted by Carl_W21 (2021 posts) -

It's a decent game, if you can get it at a good price go for it. Way better than 2 - you don't get chased down every 2 seconds !

#29 Edited by bussinrounds (2232 posts) -

@HipHopBeats said:

Fallout 3 / New Vegas can best be described as Skyrim with guns.

Fallout 3, yea....but New Vegas....no