This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pekenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Pekenter
Member since 2015 • 17 Posts

I never quiet understood what´s the hype about. I don´t know... Games like The witcher 3 or Skyrim just don´t get me into hours of playing... For every game you have to learn thousands of In-game items and so on... isn´t it boring running around and getting 10 fucking magic horse genitals just for completing a quest? I think that´s too boring. But what´s you opinion to it? Can any Skyrim hardcore player explain the hype to me?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44157 Posts

I find quite enjoyable myself. I guess I just enjoy exploring the world, the act of doing the quests themselves, the reward, etc. Not every type of game will appeal to everyone the same way with movies or books. People have different tastes.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Adventure>Action to sum it up.

It's about the feel of a quest I guess, and using everything in your bag and skills to get the job done.

Maybe you just need to play one more focused on action than the adventure. As even I find riding a horse 80% the time a bore. It's no different from driving in GTA. .

Games you might like more are less simulation ARPG. Monster Hunter is basically outside towns kill 'or capture' anything that moves, and Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls follow a simulator structure.

Kill first, ask questions. . Never :P

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

Not sure if this thread is critiquing RPGs as a genre or just the fantasy ones, but in any case, I'd love it if RPGs would move away from the bargain bin Tolkien old world setting and make an RPG in the future, now, or in some other setting. It's become even more dull than Pokemon games and COD. Thank God Fallout understands this.

@pekenter said:

isn´t it boring running around and getting 10 fucking magic horse genitals just for completing a quest?

Also this is mad funny.

Pekenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pekenter
Member since 2015 • 17 Posts

@EPICCOMMANDER:

Haha thank you. No it wasn´t critique. I was just wondering what the fun is about. Can any of you guys tell me which game i should really try out?

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts
@pekenter said:

@EPICCOMMANDER:

Haha thank you. No it wasn´t critique. I was just wondering what the fun is about. Can any of you guys tell me which game i should really try out?

Diablo. If you don't get addicted to that game you aren't human IMO.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

These games generally appeal to people who are better with delayed gratification. If you love shooters and platformers but don't like RPGs, that could be why!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

For me, a good fantasy RPG (talking primarily JRPGs here since most of the WRPGs I've played have been sci fi or some off shoot of that) makes exploring the world and learning more about it and the characters enjoyable. JRPGs also tend to have fun battle systems (to me) so the act of exploring, battling and customizing your party is fun. But it all comes down to individual games. For instance, I love Dragon Quest IX because of how much stuff there is to do, like exploring randomly generated dungeons and quests even though the story aspect isn't the best. I love Radiant Historia because it has a very strong narrative, unique dual timeline mechanic and fun battle system that encourages experimentation and flexibility and those strengths make up for the fact that it's a pretty linear game. For WRPGs like Skyrim, I would assume people enjoy it for its setting, lore, exploration and character building. Can't say myself, though, because I think I've played almost entirely sci fi WRPGS (although Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines toes the line between fantasy and horror).

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@EPICCOMMANDER: There are a lot of futuristic WRPGs. The Deus Ex games, System Shock 2 (it's an RPG, people), the KOTOR games, Mass Effect (we'll call it an RPG for simplicity's sake).