Fanboyism: Good or Bad for Gaming as a whole and the industry in general?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts
To me, fanboyism is destructive. It turns gaming into a war, and wars are destructive. We could all do without fanboyism in my opinion. It makes people miss good quality games too just because the game is on a rival console. Some would argue that fanboyism helps keep competition up and running btwn the big three (Sony, MS, and Nintendo). They also say that exclusives would be non-existent without it. I could write a 5 page report on this topic, but first I'd like to here what you guys think. Am I right, and is fanboyism a bad thing? Or am I wrong, and fanboyism generates healthy competition among game companies?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I don't see very much fanboyism outside of System Wars... :|
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KH-mixerX

I don't see very much fanboyism outside of System Wars... :|foxhound_fox

Because its usually moderated if its seen outside of system wars.

metro2692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 metro2692
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts

To me, fanboyism is destructive. It turns gaming into a war, and wars are destructive. We could all do without fanboyism in my opinion. It makes people miss good quality games too just because the game is on a rival console. Some would argue that fanboyism helps keep competition up and running btwn the big three (Sony, MS, and Nintendo). They also say that exclusives would be non-existent without it. I could write a 5 page report on this topic, but first I'd like to here what you guys think. Am I right, and is fanboyism a bad thing? Or am I wrong, and fanboyism generates healthy competition among game companies?KH-mixerX

correct sir, fanboyism is ignorance in the gaming industry and anything pretaining to opinions on 2 things in general. it dosent promote anithing, its just mindless opinions by people and just shows sheer ignorance. imean im not biast towards ani of the systems, in fact i own a 360, Wii, ps2 & PSP (my mom will flip if i ask 4 another system lol) and each brings a advantage to the industry: Xbox360 being the hardcore master hardware that brings out a more exciting and amazing gaming experience (same goes 4 PS3) and the Wii brings this hardware that breaths creativity with geture-filled games. but fanbodyism just gives a stupid excuse to glorify one system, and badmouth the rest. it even gets to the designers to an extent, where they dont design for the thrill of bringing hi-quality gaming on ani system, but make 1 game and port it 2 whichever system is inferior. i think that starts the whole fanboy process if you ask me..

JopaGeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 JopaGeri
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts
i dont know if its good for the industry but i see fanboyism as being loyal to the product you bought.Me im not fanboy like im not gonna say warhawk sucks just because its a PS3 title. Ill reconise a good game when i play it.
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KH-mixerX

i dont know if its good for the industry but i see fanboyism as being loyal to the product you bought.Me im not fanboy like im not gonna say warhawk sucks just because its a PS3 title. Ill reconise a good game when i play it. JopaGeri

Thats all I ask of people. It's when people badmouth good games just because they're on a certain system. I see this alot with Lost Planet. I've heard numerous PS3 fanboys state that the won't play Lost Planet when it's ported just because it was a 360 game originally. How stupid is that. I heard that with Mass Effect too.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Bad for the industry? I don't think so. Fanboys are still consumers, and they buy games, so they're supporting the industry. Other than that, they're pretty bad. There's a System Wars forum for a reason.
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KH-mixerX

Bad for the industry? I don't think so. Fanboys are still consumers, and they buy games, so they're supporting the industry. Other than that, they're pretty bad. There's a System Wars forum for a reason.King9999

The ACT of being a fanboy is bad for the industry. Not the person as a whole.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

The way I see it, that blind allegiance you see in some people is the negative side-effect of competition. I don't think it's as destructive or bad as some might make it out to be. It seems more like the loud minority than anything else.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I don't get fanboyism. I was always a loyal PS owner, tried a 360 controller loved it and bought a 360, now I've had 5 of them break, but I love my 360. Bought a PS3 also and love it. Both have their good and bad points, but if you've been gaming like I have for over 20 years today is a great time in gaming. Both consoles are fantastic, don't know much about the Wii, but hear it's great too. What the hell is wrong with them all being good?
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
I think fanboys are generally bad for the industry. I think this because they spew hate and false information on things because it's not on their favorite system. And more often than not they have no first hand experience with the things they hate on.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

fanboys ruin gaming industry.

Especially as they promote subpar game as some kind of holy grail and overrated them as much as possible, thus making the industry move towards making similar games that has sold well due to fanboyism rather than quality of the game.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
Fanboyism is definitely a bad thing. Where is there ever an upside to stupidity? Outside of natural selection, of course...
GalaxyMan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 GalaxyMan93
Member since 2007 • 230 Posts
Fanboyism is ok just dont take it overboard.