Famous games are over advertised

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by alim298 (2084 posts) -

I think the problem with this gen of video games is that famous games are over advertised. I mean Borderlands 2, Farcry 3, Dead space 3, Black ops 2 and so many game titles that are just over advertised. This causes people not to look into other games that may have a "fresh" idea about gaming. Games that are not heavily advertising. When I talk about dead space to my friends even if they have not played it they have heard of the title but when I talk about games like Braid they seem not to have even heard of them. What is your idea? don't you think this is ruining our chances of seeing fresh ideas?

#2 Posted by wiouds (5535 posts) -

I think that games like Braid are getting too much praise for what they are. Too many praise them for those type of games for the gimmick they do.

If I want fresh ideal then I go to the big name games.

#3 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

I think the problem with this gen of video games is that famous games are over advertised. I mean Borderlands 2, Farcry 3, Dead space 3, Black ops 2 and so many game titles that are just over advertised. This causes people not to look into other games that may have a "fresh" idea about gaming. Games that are not heavily advertising. When I talk about dead space to my friends even if they have not played it they have heard of the title but when I talk about games like Braid they seem not to have even heard of them. What is your idea? don't you think this is ruining our chances of seeing fresh ideas?

alim298

Far Cry 3 felt fresh to me.

#4 Posted by JML897 (33133 posts) -
I agree that some companies are better at marketing their products than other companies are. This is a bad thread
#5 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
Oh no, not the "All the popular games are making gaming bland" argument again. You wanna know why games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed get so much advertisement? Because they're safe titles. They're games that the audience knows what they're getting into when they buy it. Publishers know they're gonna make back all the money they spend on it, so they have no problems with marketing the hell out of those games. Also, not only is the phenomenon of safe ideas drowning out experimental ones not new or even limited to video games, but in your example it's inaccurate. To say that games with fresh ideas can't succeed is downright silly. Does Demon's/Dark Souls not exist anymore? What about Dishonored, Ni No Kuni, Catherine, Portal, or League of Legends/Dota 2? This is even ignoring franchises that improved on their ground ideas enough to still feel fresh, like Super Mario Galaxy or Bayonettta (new IP, yes, but it's still a spiritual successor to the Devil May Cry franchise). If anything, I would argue that games with fresh ideas are more likely to be noticed than ever. Even indie titles like Braid, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story (a last-gen game, but still), and Journey have become popular names in most gaming circles. Services like Xbox Live Arcade, Steam, PSN, and maybe even eShop are giving these games the chance to succeed that they could have only dreamed of in the previous generation. The bottom line is, yes, the majority percentage of the gaming audience would rather have publishers tell them what games they should play instead of looking for them by themselves (again, not a phenomenon limited to video games at all), but that doesn't mean that the games with fresh ideas are being completely ignored, either. Far from it.
#6 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9423 posts) -

I do feel that over advertising games that will already sell really well is a bad use of advertising money. If I were a company with a set of IPs releasing near eachother, I'd have confidence that the well known/popular one will already do well financially so I'll spend 30% of my advertising budget on that game and 70% on the lesser known product so thatpeople become aware of it.

#7 Posted by Archangel3371 (16251 posts) -
I'm not going to fault companies for promoting their product. It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74501 posts) -
that may be true, but there are games that have no advertising but are great aswell
#9 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

A) Famous or popular?

B) So you mean to tell me big blockbuster AAA games are heavily advertised so that the company (to which part of their business is to make money) makes money? I don't beleive it...

C) Bad thread. Bad, bad, bad thread.