Facebook buys Oculus VR for $2 billion. The dream is over.

  • 55 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I dont trust Facebook to do this thing the right way. The focus will definitely shift from games to other pointless mainstream apps. Cant believe Carmack sold out, but tbh for $2 billion I would have too.

Mark Zuckerberg's announcement: (Gamespot wont let me copy paste)

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971?stream_ref=1

What do you guys think? Good news? Bad news? Non news?

#2 Edited by Pedro (21037 posts) -

Sucks balls. So much for these guys wanting to innovate. I don't see how this deal is going to be beneficial to gaming. I would also like to add that this move is most likely greed on the Oculus Rift team more than anything else. They were not in need of money.

#3 Edited by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

VR was a fad anyway. I'm more excited about what Facebook can do with it than gaming. Who would want to wear a idiotic looking box on their head to play a game? Gaming is becoming more social but people with VR's strapped on their head are being antisocial, sticking the computer ever closer to their eyes and avoiding the world around them.

#4 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -

Is there a worse company that could have possibly bought them? I'd have more faith in even MS or EA.

#5 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Bad news all around. It won't take long for data mining to be forced into the SDK. I'll be cancelling my DK2 preorder.

#6 Posted by platinumking320 (666 posts) -

Talk about simulation sickness. Now the damn thing is going to be littered with ads. They just took our American dream and shit on it again.

*raises cartoon villain fists* DAMN YOOUUU FB!

#7 Posted by firefox59 (4362 posts) -

I am so fricken sick of hearing about Facebook. Hey guys I invented myspace 2.0 and now I have more money that everyone but Buffet and Gates. Yeah me. Now I'm going to buy every other company and re-purpose it to my shitty online profile site. This dude is trolling the planet.

#8 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Welp, there goes any hope I had for the unit. Instead of headlining creative new ways to increase immersion, it will probably be used for more meager purposes.

#9 Edited by Jag85 (4397 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Sucks balls. So much for these guys wanting to innovate. I don't see how this deal is going to be beneficial to gaming. I would also like to add that this move is most likely greed on the Oculus Rift team more than anything else. They were not in need of money.

They're still going to innovate... that is, innovate social networking. It looks like gaming probably won't be their main focus anymore.

Anyway, are you sure you wouldn't "sell out" for $2 billion? That's way too much cash to resist...

#10 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3665 posts) -

Facebook......The new Microsoft.

#11 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

I'm not sure which Facebook news is worse. This, or that they're going to start limiting Pages. I keep up with a lot of musicians I like via their posts on Facebook, but now Facebook is going to limit their appearance on news pages and suggest that people start buying ad space, which is horrible for smaller artists trying to get a little recognition.

I wasn't entirely convinced by VR, but I was still curious to see what could happen. This, however, eh, back to apathy.

#12 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

VR wasn't going to be a big hit this gen anyway. Eventually its time will come, but that time won't be anytime soon.

#13 Posted by Archangel3371 (15363 posts) -

Meh. While it is surprising I really don't I care about it all that much. It would be great for some games but there's still plenty of other types of games that I enjoy where I don't think VR would work all that well with. Plus there's still Sony's Morpheus and what ever Microsoft is working on. Oculous isn't the only VR device around. Interested in seeing what things Facebook might do with it besides just gaming though.

#14 Posted by Garfield360UK (19535 posts) -

I am very surprised by the price of this buy out. It seems like a huge risk on something that, as far as I know, is not a consumer product yet. I personally am not into the whole virtual reality thing (unless the developers can really make unique experiences and also make it like something out of science fiction programs where it really does feel like your in another world which I doubt we are at yet) so I guess this news does not concern me. However, is Oculus something people have been really excited for and are lining up to buy? I just don't see a $2 billion market for this thing, it feels like 3D Blu Ray where people get excited early on then it wears out and people move on?

Curious as others have said to see where this goes, but this just seems like it could be a waste of 2 billion dollars for a Kickstarter company which has yet to make a product consumers can buy.

#15 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70753 posts) -

it was good while it lasted guys, too bad for Carmack and the rest of the gang

#16 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

So... VR Farmville?

Or maybe that episode of South Park where Stan gets sucked into Facebook (literally) was actually prophetic? YAHTZEE!

#17 Edited by tendoboy1984 (152 posts) -

Over on Joystiq people are saying Sony's VR is in big trouble. Facebook has a much bigger market to sell to and they can put the Oculus on whatever platform they want, while Sony's VR is only for PlayStation consoles.

#18 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Over on Joystiq people are saying Sony's VR is in big trouble. Facebook has a much bigger market to sell to and they can put the Oculus on whatever platform they want, while Sony's VR is only for PlayStation consoles.

No one with any integrity will be selling any games built with the Facebook/Oculus SDK

Oculus are dead and that'll be bad news for Sony too, they need developers and content

#19 Edited by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

@barrybarryk said:

@tendoboy1984 said:

Over on Joystiq people are saying Sony's VR is in big trouble. Facebook has a much bigger market to sell to and they can put the Oculus on whatever platform they want, while Sony's VR is only for PlayStation consoles.

No one with any integrity will be selling any games built with the Facebook/Oculus SDK

Oculus are dead and that'll be bad news for Sony too, they need developers and content

Why? Doesn't Sony have Facebook share built in (you know from all those 'sharing is caring' commercials)? I guess they have no integrity...... All this anger toward Facebook must stem from playing RPG's in a basement and being afraid of the world or something. Outside of gamers (and conspiracy theorists) no one hates Facebook.

#20 Edited by tendoboy1984 (152 posts) -

But Google also makes money from ads and "stealing" personal info, yet Android still gets plenty of developer support.

Sony gets plenty of support from developers. They have the biggest roster of first-party studios in the industry, and they actively reach out to third-party developers for content.

#21 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

@darthgumballs: Maybe you're right. What would I know, I'm just a developer that has cancelled their DK2 preorder and is currently scrubbing the SDK from my main PCs

#22 Posted by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

@darthgumballs: Maybe you're right. What would I know, I'm just a developer that has cancelled their DK2 preorder and is currently scrubbing the SDK from my main PCs

Oh man, you totally represent all of gaming, my bad bro.

#23 Posted by tendoboy1984 (152 posts) -

@barrybarryk: So I'm guessing you never use the PS4's Share feature? It's actually really fun to brag about your gameplay accomplishments and falures by uploading footage directly to Twitch, Facebook, and Ustream.

#24 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

@tendoboy1984: No I don't, but those features are optional and I have no real problem with them existing. With Facebook owning Oculus (and their SDK) I can't guarantee they aren't data mining anyone using my software whether they know it or not. I want fuck all to do with Facebook, I won't be peddling their malware. Just wait until the scumbags at the likes of Zynga announce their VR projects.

#25 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Solid I hate you, wtf is this. Its sad how many people just go with your bait title, its stupidity, Oculus is fine.

THIS IS INCREDIBLE NEWS.

This assures the future of VR, not just in gaming but in the future of all communication, it will change the future. The gaming side is fine, read the article, it will be unchanged. Plus they have Carmack who will not budge for anyone, he is there for gaming and gaming alone and that is what they will bring. But after gaming it was a big question on where VR could go, this gives them a massive platform.

VR just got a boost, the future will come sooner because of this.

#26 Posted by Jacanuk (4226 posts) -

I dont trust Facebook to do this thing the right way. The focus will definitely shift from games to other pointless mainstream apps. Cant believe Carmack sold out, but tbh for $2 billion I would have too.

Mark Zuckerberg's announcement: (Gamespot wont let me copy paste)

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971?stream_ref=1

What do you guys think? Good news? Bad news? Non news?

The dream for Occlus Rift is over, Facebook has no experience or knowhow and once you get a owner like that, it becomes all about the cash.

So goodbye Rift.

But its not bad news for VR, Sony and MS and google are all working on their idea´s so lets see at E3 what they will bring to the table.

#27 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Solid I hate you, wtf is this. Its sad how many people just go with your bait title, its stupidity, Oculus is fine.

THIS IS INCREDIBLE NEWS.

I speak for the people.

You are on to me! In my defense I did end the OP asking everyone if this was non-news. Not my fault people distrust facebook. Just look at the gaf thread which did not have a bait title.

#28 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

I am not entirely sure what to think about this. It is an odd combination, social media giant and VR company. Does this mean we"ll see a VR version of say, Farmville??? Only time will tell how this pans out.

#29 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Areez said:

I am not entirely sure what to think about this. It is an odd combination, social media giant and VR company. Does this mean we"ll see a VR version of say, Farmville??? Only time will tell how this pans out.

The gaming side will be untouched, we will still have incredible VR games and everything Oculus promised.

The future of VR was never just in video games, it will revolutionize communication, social activities and becoming a normal aspect of life. Facebook could help push that far better than just about anything Oculus could have done on their own. One day you wont have to take trips to visit families in another city. One day you can take a vacation to mars from your living room. One day you can be at the football game with incredible seats right from home. Thats what is going to happen in the years to come.

#30 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Solid I hate you, wtf is this. Its sad how many people just go with your bait title, its stupidity, Oculus is fine.

THIS IS INCREDIBLE NEWS.

I speak for the people.

You are on to me! In my defense I did end the OP asking everyone if this was non-news. Not my fault people distrust facebook. Just look at the gaf thread which did not have a bait title.

Ugh reading it now, we gamers are such a negative bunch it is embarrassing. Always thinking to the most negative conclusion, thinking that anything outside the industry is EVIL.

VR was always going to be bigger than gaming. Hopefully the gaming side gets to do its thing, then we have no worries.

#31 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@dvader654: What you just described sounds like it was pulled out of a science fiction novel. Trips to Mars?

#32 Edited by Jacanuk (4226 posts) -

@Areez said:

I am not entirely sure what to think about this. It is an odd combination, social media giant and VR company. Does this mean we"ll see a VR version of say, Farmville??? Only time will tell how this pans out.

The gaming side will be untouched, we will still have incredible VR games and everything Oculus promised.

The future of VR was never just in video games, it will revolutionize communication, social activities and becoming a normal aspect of life. Facebook could help push that far better than just about anything Oculus could have done on their own. One day you wont have to take trips to visit families in another city. One day you can take a vacation to mars from your living room. One day you can be at the football game with incredible seats right from home. Thats what is going to happen in the years to come.

Do you work for Facebook?

And this post ROFL if that happen in the next few generations our grandkids are lucky, but nothing you mention will ever be around in yours or my lifetime.

#33 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@dvader654 said:

@Areez said:

I am not entirely sure what to think about this. It is an odd combination, social media giant and VR company. Does this mean we"ll see a VR version of say, Farmville??? Only time will tell how this pans out.

The gaming side will be untouched, we will still have incredible VR games and everything Oculus promised.

The future of VR was never just in video games, it will revolutionize communication, social activities and becoming a normal aspect of life. Facebook could help push that far better than just about anything Oculus could have done on their own. One day you wont have to take trips to visit families in another city. One day you can take a vacation to mars from your living room. One day you can be at the football game with incredible seats right from home. Thats what is going to happen in the years to come.

Do you work for Facebook?

And this post ROFL if that happen in the next few generations our grandkids are lucky, but nothing you mention will ever be around in yours or my lifetime.

Really so what do you think the world will look like in 20 years cause 20 years ago what I am doing at this very second would have seemed just as crazy. You really believe creating life like environments that you can interact with on a video screen strapped to your head is not possible in a few years? We can practically do that now.

What we need is for the VR to find a form that can fit general use for the masses, that can become as accessible as a PC. A company like facebook is a step in that direction cause that is what they specialize in. And no I dont care for facebook I hardly use it but I am not some worry wort that think every big company is pure evil intended to destroy all freedom in the world.

#34 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Areez said:

@dvader654: What you just described sounds like it was pulled out of a science fiction novel. Trips to Mars?

Virtually, probably created with a mix of actual space photos and graphics. All the game worlds we explore could become virtual vacations with a few tweaks. The crazy think is that Oculus can take real life footage and make it interactive so you can actually see what a real world location in the most vivid way possible outside of actually traveling there. They have taken those 360 cameras and created video that allows you to look around a real world environment. Now its on a track because you can only look at where they recorded but with enough work I am sure they can recreate many historical areas so you can virtualy explore actual video of it.

Could you imagine retirement homes, instead of everyone watching price is right they could put on a visor and go see Niagara Falls or go to rome and visit the Vatican

This tech is not far away at all.

#35 Posted by Jacanuk (4226 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@dvader654 said:

@Areez said:

I am not entirely sure what to think about this. It is an odd combination, social media giant and VR company. Does this mean we"ll see a VR version of say, Farmville??? Only time will tell how this pans out.

The gaming side will be untouched, we will still have incredible VR games and everything Oculus promised.

The future of VR was never just in video games, it will revolutionize communication, social activities and becoming a normal aspect of life. Facebook could help push that far better than just about anything Oculus could have done on their own. One day you wont have to take trips to visit families in another city. One day you can take a vacation to mars from your living room. One day you can be at the football game with incredible seats right from home. Thats what is going to happen in the years to come.

Do you work for Facebook?

And this post ROFL if that happen in the next few generations our grandkids are lucky, but nothing you mention will ever be around in yours or my lifetime.

Really so what do you think the world will look like in 20 years cause 20 years ago what I am doing at this very second would have seemed just as crazy. You really believe creating life like environments that you can interact with on a video screen strapped to your head is not possible in a few years? We can practically do that now.

What we need is for the VR to find a form that can fit general use for the masses, that can become as accessible as a PC. A company like facebook is a step in that direction cause that is what they specialize in. And no I dont care for facebook I hardly use it but I am not some worry wort that think every big company is pure evil intended to destroy all freedom in the world.

You know you sound like those old Sci-fi writers from the 60´s right? :=)

But ya i do not believe from watching how the technology have advanced since i was a kid , will advance to anything close to what you are suggesting, its just to far away from any tech that is even remotely viable today, also have you tried the Rift? only thing that has advanced from that and the glasses in the late 80´s early 90´s is the graphics of the games it can run and the size, the core is still the same.

Also you are probably together with Solid the only people i have heard who can see anything positive about Facebook and its purchase, and the first "cancellation" of games has already come out from Notch. And you might not think much of minecraft but it did sell close to 50mill and would have helped the Rift insanely.

#36 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@dvader654 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@dvader654 said:

@Areez said:

I am not entirely sure what to think about this. It is an odd combination, social media giant and VR company. Does this mean we"ll see a VR version of say, Farmville??? Only time will tell how this pans out.

The gaming side will be untouched, we will still have incredible VR games and everything Oculus promised.

The future of VR was never just in video games, it will revolutionize communication, social activities and becoming a normal aspect of life. Facebook could help push that far better than just about anything Oculus could have done on their own. One day you wont have to take trips to visit families in another city. One day you can take a vacation to mars from your living room. One day you can be at the football game with incredible seats right from home. Thats what is going to happen in the years to come.

Do you work for Facebook?

And this post ROFL if that happen in the next few generations our grandkids are lucky, but nothing you mention will ever be around in yours or my lifetime.

Really so what do you think the world will look like in 20 years cause 20 years ago what I am doing at this very second would have seemed just as crazy. You really believe creating life like environments that you can interact with on a video screen strapped to your head is not possible in a few years? We can practically do that now.

What we need is for the VR to find a form that can fit general use for the masses, that can become as accessible as a PC. A company like facebook is a step in that direction cause that is what they specialize in. And no I dont care for facebook I hardly use it but I am not some worry wort that think every big company is pure evil intended to destroy all freedom in the world.

You know you sound like those old Sci-fi writers from the 60´s right? :=)

But ya i do not believe from watching how the technology have advanced since i was a kid , will advance to anything close to what you are suggesting, its just to far away from any tech that is even remotely viable today, also have you tried the Rift? only thing that has advanced from that and the glasses in the late 80´s early 90´s is the graphics of the games it can run and the size, the core is still the same.

Also you are probably together with Solid the only people i have heard who can see anything positive about Facebook and its purchase, and the first "cancellation" of games has already come out from Notch. And you might not think much of minecraft but it did sell close to 50mill and would have helped the Rift insanely.

No I haven't tried the rift but I have read countless reactions and they mostly all agree its one of the most amazing experiences of their life and the future models create experiences that the brain believes is real. THIS IS NOW. I dont understand how you believe we have this tech now but 40 years from now it wont go anywhere. When I was a preteen there was no commercial internet. Now I can talk to anyone on the planet, I can share media with anyone, I can read about anything, practically the entire history of the planet is available at the push of a button... not even on a computer anymore I can see it on my PHONE. Do you not see what we have done in the last few decades, how can you not believe we will have insane out of this would communication and social devices in the future.

As for Notch, he seems like over excitable guy, whatever. If major companies jump ship fine. If carmack leaves then ok, we can all agree this is the worst thing to happen. But Carmack is fine. The Oculus guys say nothing is changing for them. Until I see proof of the project being changed I won't sit around in fear.

And I definitely hope I sound like a 60s sci-fi writer, I think part of the rift is making that as close to a reality as we can. I have made peace that I probably won't be exploring space in my life time. We wont have flying cars. We wont see alien races. It sucks but thats reality. But that is not virtual reality, with this we can make all those things come as close to real as it gets.

#37 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@dvader654 said:ot have a bait title.

Ugh reading it now, we gamers are such a negative bunch it is embarrassing. Always thinking to the most negative conclusion, thinking that anything outside the industry is EVIL.

VR was always going to be bigger than gaming. Hopefully the gaming side gets to do its thing, then we have no worries.

i think you are downplaying the main reason for this negative reaction. This is facebook we are talking about. A company that makes its money by shoving advertising down our throats. If it was any other hardware electronics company like Apple or Samsung or even Microsoft, people would not be this averse to it.

Facebook is almost a dirty word at this point. They have again and again shown they have no concern for the privacy of their users. They have redesigned their entire layout dozens of times just to incorporate ads. They are a very anti-consumer company. Or at least that's what their perception is anyway. They live off of ad money. The entire company is built around ad revenue.

I agree with you that this will force people to take VR seriously and at the very least help it go mainstream. However, Facebook has shown absolutely no reason why it can lead in the hardware space. I dont blame people for being skeptical.

#38 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5800 posts) -

Yeah not sure about this... I wasn't sold on the whole VR thing anyway.

#39 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@dvader654 said:ot have a bait title.

Ugh reading it now, we gamers are such a negative bunch it is embarrassing. Always thinking to the most negative conclusion, thinking that anything outside the industry is EVIL.

VR was always going to be bigger than gaming. Hopefully the gaming side gets to do its thing, then we have no worries.

i think you are downplaying the main reason for this negative reaction. This is facebook we are talking about. A company that makes its money by shoving advertising down our throats. If it was any other hardware electronics company like Apple or Samsung or even Microsoft, people would not be this averse to it.

Facebook is almost a dirty word at this point. They have again and again shown they have no concern for the privacy of their users. They have redesigned their entire layout dozens of times just to incorporate ads. They are a very anti-consumer company. Or at least that's what their perception is anyway. They live off of ad money. The entire company is built around ad revenue.

I agree with you that this will force people to take VR seriously and at the very least help it go mainstream. However, Facebook has shown absolutely no reason why it can lead in the hardware space. I dont blame people for being skeptical.

And facebook does all this because the masses LET THEM. No one is forcing you to put your entire life on facebook but man do people love to do that. Facebook has all the right in the world to make money from letting you use their site to write about your amazing life. Oh no they have ads!!! Oh what will we do!!! ADS NOOOO!! Cause we didn't grow up with ads all around us... look at the bottom of this page AHHHHH AN AD!!!! AHHHHHH!

Privacy of users my ass, you are putting your entire life on the web, what the hell do you expect. it sounds like the reasons to hate facebook is cause they make money off of your desire to be connected to everyone at every second of the day. Too bad, make your facebook if you don't like it.

What has facebook done to the companies they have bought, everyone says they have left them to be independent. On the contrary MS has eaten and destroyed a few companies in gaming. What have they actually done in terms of accusations to elicit this kind of reaction.

This is pure lunacy right now. I understand it is a possibility that facebook could simply take over and ruin the vision Oculus had, I get that. But why is that the FIRST reaction everyone has when it seems clear from history and from common sense that it is way more beneficial to facebook to let Oculus finish what they started.

#40 Posted by Jacanuk (4226 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@dvader654 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@dvader654 said:

@Areez said:

I am not entirely sure what to think about this. It is an odd combination, social media giant and VR company. Does this mean we"ll see a VR version of say, Farmville??? Only time will tell how this pans out.

The gaming side will be untouched, we will still have incredible VR games and everything Oculus promised.

The future of VR was never just in video games, it will revolutionize communication, social activities and becoming a normal aspect of life. Facebook could help push that far better than just about anything Oculus could have done on their own. One day you wont have to take trips to visit families in another city. One day you can take a vacation to mars from your living room. One day you can be at the football game with incredible seats right from home. Thats what is going to happen in the years to come.

Do you work for Facebook?

And this post ROFL if that happen in the next few generations our grandkids are lucky, but nothing you mention will ever be around in yours or my lifetime.

Really so what do you think the world will look like in 20 years cause 20 years ago what I am doing at this very second would have seemed just as crazy. You really believe creating life like environments that you can interact with on a video screen strapped to your head is not possible in a few years? We can practically do that now.

What we need is for the VR to find a form that can fit general use for the masses, that can become as accessible as a PC. A company like facebook is a step in that direction cause that is what they specialize in. And no I dont care for facebook I hardly use it but I am not some worry wort that think every big company is pure evil intended to destroy all freedom in the world.

You know you sound like those old Sci-fi writers from the 60´s right? :=)

But ya i do not believe from watching how the technology have advanced since i was a kid , will advance to anything close to what you are suggesting, its just to far away from any tech that is even remotely viable today, also have you tried the Rift? only thing that has advanced from that and the glasses in the late 80´s early 90´s is the graphics of the games it can run and the size, the core is still the same.

Also you are probably together with Solid the only people i have heard who can see anything positive about Facebook and its purchase, and the first "cancellation" of games has already come out from Notch. And you might not think much of minecraft but it did sell close to 50mill and would have helped the Rift insanely.

No I haven't tried the rift but I have read countless reactions and they mostly all agree its one of the most amazing experiences of their life and the future models create experiences that the brain believes is real. THIS IS NOW. I dont understand how you believe we have this tech now but 40 years from now it wont go anywhere. When I was a preteen there was no commercial internet. Now I can talk to anyone on the planet, I can share media with anyone, I can read about anything, practically the entire history of the planet is available at the push of a button... not even on a computer anymore I can see it on my PHONE. Do you not see what we have done in the last few decades, how can you not believe we will have insane out of this would communication and social devices in the future.

As for Notch, he seems like over excitable guy, whatever. If major companies jump ship fine. If carmack leaves then ok, we can all agree this is the worst thing to happen. But Carmack is fine. The Oculus guys say nothing is changing for them. Until I see proof of the project being changed I won't sit around in fear.

Ok, i have tried the Rift and i do agree its pretty spectacular but its also quite tiresome to use it for more than a hour or 2 at the most, and anyone who says they don't get tired/sick/have problems is a lying piece of toast. So at least until that problem is sorted i don't see VR Rift to be anything than a fad.

And in terms of tech i must admit i don't have your confidence, if you look at how tech have advanced in computers the last 20years we just in the last 8years went away from CRT to flat monitors and graphics cards might have gotten more powerful but its not that huge a jump from Voodoo to the cards now.

So from that and until Star Trek VR is way to huge a leap for me to believe will happen, if does in my lifetime then i wont be sad it did but i dont believe it.

#41 Edited by wiouds (5066 posts) -

The worse thing they can do to gaming is release a market version of the Oculus, and that was the plan anyway so we are not worse off.

#42 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Oh the actual fatigue factor and the size of the VR will be stuff that will be worked on for years to come. I agree that massive gaming sessions on that thing is probably a bad idea, hell probably not good for your eyes. This is the start, the start of anything is bulky and ugly.

And I am so jealous of you. I assume you tried dev kit ver 1.

#43 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Maybe sony will release PC drivers for their headset they are working on.

#44 Edited by Jacanuk (4226 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Oh the actual fatigue factor and the size of the VR will be stuff that will be worked on for years to come. I agree that massive gaming sessions on that thing is probably a bad idea, hell probably not good for your eyes. This is the start, the start of anything is bulky and ugly.

And I am so jealous of you. I assume you tried dev kit ver 1.

Yep, that fatigue is not good, i never usually get "carsick" but darn after a hour or so it was really ....

And yep dev kit 1 not the one they released on the expo in Vegas. which is said to be a lot better but i'm still hearing that its not good. but its for sure the future and once it hits the stage like in heavy rain its going to be insane :D

#45 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18295 posts) -

Bet mom can't wait to play Bubble Witch with the Oculus Rift.

#46 Posted by Metamania (11972 posts) -

I dont trust Facebook to do this thing the right way. The focus will definitely shift from games to other pointless mainstream apps. Cant believe Carmack sold out, but tbh for $2 billion I would have too.

Mark Zuckerberg's announcement: (Gamespot wont let me copy paste)

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971?stream_ref=1

What do you guys think? Good news? Bad news? Non news?

At least you can admit that. Wouldn't you want to do the same thing for that money? I know I would!

#47 Edited by MirkoS77 (7177 posts) -

Great, can't wait to be forced to sign up for FB to log-in so I can access "Face Rift", a socially Steamlike focused VR client in order to use it. Looking forward to seeing ads broadcasted to me while I'm dogfighting in Star Citizen.

Sony, here I come.

#48 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Ye it is kinda creepy they just randomly bought now, now my hype has gone down, props going have spyware built into the device now, and forced FB useage.

#49 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@dvader654:

Again, you are missing the point. The problem isn't that we have to put up with ads, it's that ads are Facebook's only source of income. Not sales. Facebook doesn't produce content. So when this thing does come out, they will need to make it profitable. THat means integrating it with facebook, and just like that the product has changed. When you buy an electronics device, you dont pay to watch ads.

And you cant tell me you dont get the backlash against Facebook of all companies. It's pretty well known that they've changed their privacy settings without properly informing their users many times. Facebook started off as an exclusive club, and back then they never said anything about sharing your info with ad agencies or secretly making your profile public. One day only my friends could see my photos, the next day the entire world can. Facebook gets shat on because they have repeatedly lost their users trust. You also give the government ALL of your private info, but you know that it wont be shared with other companies trying to make a buck. Facebook wasn't just some website you uploaded your entire life to, it succeeded because of the privacy features. Excluding people you didn;t want as friends was THE main attraction.

This is Facebook's first hardware acquisition. What history are you referring to? I can promise you that there will be ads on WhatsApp. I can promise you that instagram will change too. Just like Skype did. IT's just the nature of the business. Whether or not Facebook's intentions are geniune, we simply do not know. All we know is that this guy has put the privacy of his website's users below the interests of the corporations that pay for the ad space. Dont underestimate the internet. They knew straight away that X1's DRM was a bad deal and they know that Facebook's ENTIRE model is designed around USING its userbase. That's common sense.

P.S You need content to make this thing successful. Facebook produces absolutely no content. Nothing except for their website's features. I really dont see why the OR guys would pick Facebook of all other comapnies out there for any reason other than them being the highest bidder.

#50 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: i rarely use Facebook so that stuff never bothered me but yes I remember it now. Fine they have done some crappy stuff in the past yet everyone still uses it.

As for what they get from this, the fact that they don't make software is good, they have no clue how to use VR, this will let oculus work on their own. This is better than say MS buying them which would know what to do with it and make it Xbox exclusive and forced to work with kinect. Once the public gets their hands on this thing everyone will want a piece of this tech and Facebook will own it. They will figure out the best way to make use of VR for social use and they could do whatever they want with that. That has nothing to do with the gaming side of VR. Or at least we hope.