Evolve: The Curious case of....KILLIT!KILLITWITHFIRE!!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Angel_XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Angel_XIII
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Evolve ripped and roared it's way into game shops everywhere and it already carries the yolk of controversy with its so called "DLC Hub". Is this the way games now are going and are these the sign of dark times? Although at first glance we would all like to get our rusty pitchforks and burn the effigy of 2k, let us take a look at what they are:

1. $136 for cosmetics for Monsters and Hunters - Most players would just prefer to use 1 or 2 hunter/monster. Can you seriously convince me that someone out there would buy all the cosmetics? Cosmetics is all about player preference. A rough estimation, an average player might just spend somewhere around $10 to $20.

2. $25 DLC Pass, Get 4 hunters and a monster - not every one is going to like all these 4 hunters and monster. Not everyone is going to like these additional playable hunters/monsters and chose to stick with the core game characters. Some might just like a hunter or two or just the monster. The good thing about this DLC Pass is that it is not locking this content. They can be purchased separately.

Evolve is offering all future maps for free. There will be no segregation of players no matter if they bought extra content or not. The DLCs are not the play to win model so there is no advantage for those who chose to buy them. Now what is it that could be considered a bad thing about this? Taking something out of the old capcom playbook, additional content is already on disc, HELL NO!

At the end of the day it's all up to the gamer. If you like the game then reward the publisher by getting the additional content, quid pro quo. If the game falls from expectations then get rid of it. It's that simple. Now one question remains is will this DLC Hub be a common trend now? Let the numbers speak for you and don't buy if this DLC hub is bullshit.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't understand why Evolve is the game that sparked this campaign against publisher DLC. Developers have been doing this for years, and now people make a stand just because of the quantity of DLC? It's just skins, it's not like their restricting you from actual game content.

This entire thing is completely overblown.

Angel_XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Angel_XIII
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Exactly. As I said in the blog, not everyone is going to buy every piece of cosmetic for each and every character.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

I think what people are mad about is why they just didn't add it to the game initially. i get it if they release some skins and monsters later down the road as dlc, but releasing it right away means they have it all finished but arr choosing to sell it to you rather than include it in the game.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Yay yet ANOTHER Evolve DLC thread! It had been SO LONG since one of these popped up that I was getting worried!

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#5 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

This again? Oh boy. Me personally, I think it's a bit suspicious that they're selling over $139 worth of content on DAY-ONE. If it was done over time, I wouldn't be upset. But selling all this on the first day? It means they finished every piece of that DLC but are deciding "to hell with business pacing and actually including these items in-game, let's sell it all because...**** you, give us money!"

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

Yeah I think Evolve is getting a bit of unfair heat for their dlc. Most of it is just cosmetic so that doesn't bother me and the most important stuff to the game which is the maps and modes are free which is great and something I'd like to see more of but making these new maps will cost them money so they have to make that money from somewhere. The price for the Season Pass dlc for new characters and monsters seems fair. I will say that what they charge for the cosmetic stuff is too much, fighting games do this too. Personally I think if they charge much less for the cosmetic stuff like skins and outfits they may actually make more money.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

It's a good game just needs to nerf those Wraiths only slightly. The stats are showing how important a good medic and trapper is to the hunters, but no matter how good they are they will never beat a good wraith. I think the top Wraith managed to win 106 games in a row until he eventually lost one. Must of went link dead or spilt beer on his keyboard.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@Evil_Saluki: I just started actually encountering Wraiths a little bit and so far in the few matches I had I haven't lost and I am not even playing with an actual group. I just been playing with randoms.

I DO happen to be a bomb-ass medic though!

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

I think what people are mad about is why they just didn't add it to the game initially. i get it if they release some skins and monsters later down the road as dlc, but releasing it right away means they have it all finished but arr choosing to sell it to you rather than include it in the game.

They aren't releasing it now though. This stuff can be purchased now but most of it (I'm not sure if its ALL) is still in development. The season pass content isn't finished yet. And the bonus 4th monster for pre-ordering won't be done for a month if not longer.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10  Edited By polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@firefox59:

Oh, then in don't get it. The people complaining about it is a minority on here. Friends i talk to in real life, that like gaming but dont keep up to date on it through forums constantly are really excited for the content.

Quote from one of my friends who plays games sometimes and this is the majority of the consumers. "that's pretty sweet that they're adding all this content, makes the game feel fresh, and updated, and if i really like it, then i have no problem adding money to it, for optional things"

Reminds me of "ignorance is bliss" while we're here complaining and commenting with "will not be supporting this publisher" people in the real world are just enjoying the things they choose to spend money on and don't complain about things they were never even going to purchase In the first place.

Edit: same with assassin's creed with two games a year. Everyone was happy except us.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I think the underlying issue with these kinds of DLC structures is that it can encourage developers to release their games early and sell off everything they're still working on as DLC later. That's how it sounds like, at least to me.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

@firefox59:

Oh, then in don't get it. The people complaining about it is a minority on here. Friends i talk to in real life, that like gaming but dont keep up to date on it through forums constantly are really excited for the content.

Quote from one of my friends who plays games sometimes and this is the majority of the consumers. "that's pretty sweet that they're adding all this content, makes the game feel fresh, and updated, and if i really like it, then i have no problem adding money to it, for optional things"

Reminds me of "ignorance is bliss" while we're here complaining and commenting with "will not be supporting this publisher" people in the real world are just enjoying the things they choose to spend money on and don't complain about things they were never even going to purchase In the first place.

Edit: same with assassin's creed with two games a year. Everyone was happy except us.

I think someone said it earlier in the thread, but people are just piling onto this game. What 2K is doing with the game isn't that bad. A game that completely depends upon character classes and monsters and the devs are adding more of each with free maps. Oh what a terrible terrible company. It's more content, if you don't want it, don't but it. The devs allowing everyone to play together regardless should void this argument. Halo and Titanfall don't let you play with people who have DLC and it wrecks matchmaking.

It just seems that people are getting sick of the shady crap that some companies do with DLC and somehow Evolve has become the target for everyone to pick on.