Every Generation is Exactly the Same

This topic is locked from further discussion.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

Edited By YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

Well, here we are. The eighth generation of consoles is officially upon us. I've just played the ever-loving **** out of Killzone: Shadow Fall and Knack, and already have plans to pick up Injustice's ultimate edition next week along with the sweet accidental damage insurance Sony's selling. We see a generation in front of us, full of opportunities for great games, amazing moments and overall excitement. We're also going to see lots of disappointment, rage and the standard idiocy from all sides: publishers, media and fans.

Put short, it's another generation of games.

We're already seeing the beginning, really: people selling up the coming of cloud computing, the end of physical media, artistic gaming, garage developers actually meaning something in the broader marketplace, and this potentially being the last console generation. Talking heads from all over are talking, and the likelihood of any of this being anything more than marketing bullshit is hilariously low. Especially that last one. Let's be honest, we're all going to be here again, talking about the PS5, Xbox Two and Nintendo's next attempt to catch lightning in a bottle, come 2019-2020, and the cycle will begin again. This will almost certainly be preceded by another failed Sony attempt to bite into Nintendo's handheld dominance around 2016-2017. We'll also be enduring another few years of fanboys trying to convince us that tablet and mobile gaming really is more than failed ports and pay-to-win drivel or how PC isn't a totally different market and are totally going to destroy the console model.

We've yet to see the first true stinker of the eighth generation, but we already have a divisive title. We already have people grumbling about features and games that didn't make launch. In a week, we'll be seeing the alpha nerds of the fanboy tribes scanning every pixel of every multi-platform title for any "evidence" of one system's inferiority to the other, and we're seeing Nintendo fanboys try to talk down the next generation, as though only their chosen faceless corporation is capable of compelling gameplay experiences. As the current generation reaches more and more people, we'll get called all sorts of horrible names and be thankful that both PS4 and Xbone share party chat capability so we don't have to sit there muting everyone individually. There will be people saying the most vile, disgusting shit toward each-other, with gamers often being as racist, misogynistic and homophobic as possible, and the media will try to paint these fuckwads as the whole of the fandom. A few gaming-related laws will be passed by state governors, a few studies will be issued by the federal government, and we'll probably see an amulance chaser or two launch a crusade against the sick filth that is GTAVI.

Lather.

Rinse.

Repeat.

We're also going to see games that leave our mouths open, make us jump and cry out to the heavens in joy and reignite our oft-battered faith in this wonderful pastime of ours. We're going to fall in love with new characters, worlds and music. We're going to save the world a few times, maybe have a laugh or two at some caricatured larger than life figure, or skip a heartbeat or two, maybe even shed a tear as a character we'd grown fond of bites the dust in a horrible way. We'll watch walkthroughs and commentaries, both serious and funny, that bring a smile to our faces. We'll find the one or two machinema darlings, bang our heads and laugh at some hilarious meme that a game starts up, and talk about awesome moments with our friends, be it around the water cooler or over our headset. Some crazy e-sports showing will rock our worlds and leave us hype as all ****. We'll be pleasantly surprised by a sleeper hit every once in a while, a game or two will spark some interesting debate, and @zombiepie is going to have a shit-ton of awesome blogs to look through for the Community Spotlight.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west, bears crap in the woods, the Pope wears a stupid hat, and the eighth generation will largely come and go like all the others. Some of it is bad, some of it is good, but so long as console gaming is a competitive market, it's going to be one hell of a fucking ride.

Maybe the seventh generation lasted too long. Maybe it ended too soon. It really depends on who you ask. But no matter what you feel about that, we can all agree that it was one crazy ass ride. I expect no less from the eighth, and I'm glad to have got on right at the start.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

+100 to this. Roll on generation 8!

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

This generation doesn' seem to be making giant leaps and strides that the 360/PS3 did. It just seems like more of the same. I remember everyone being blown away by the 360 and PS3. Now I'm just shrugging my shoulders and saying, meh, I couldn't really care less.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By YukoAsho

@Minishdriveby: One could say the same about the SNES over the NES. The big deal was a controller with more buttons and slightly prettier graphics. This is a normal pattern. The odd-numbered generations are the big leaps, whereas the evens tend to be the evolution. That doesn't, however, discount the evolutionary periods, as some of the greatest games ever appear in these moments.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4  Edited By BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

This generation doesn' seem to be making giant leaps and strides that the 360/PS3 did. It just seems like more of the same. I remember everyone being blown away by the 360 and PS3. Now I'm just shrugging my shoulders and saying, meh, I couldn't really care less.

Yeah, same thing with me. Don't get me wrong, I think that 8th generation video game consoles will be good. But, it won't capture the magic like last two generations of video games.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#5  Edited By kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

I miss the Sega/Nintendo days back when we were fighting over Sonic vs. Mario rather than which system runs CoD in 1080p.

Though I like to think of this console war as a US election.

Sony is Obama- not the best with money (remember the PSN blackout when credit cards were compromised)

Xbox is Mitt Romney- big money, not really understanding the working class

Nintendo the third party candidate like Ron Paul or Ralph Nader. Will never get the popular vote but has an enthusiastic following

Equally nasty online bickering.

And now I'll get angry responses from Playstation Republicans and Xbox Democrats in 3..2..1..

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

@kbaily: People argued over graphics in those days, too. Blast processing, anyone?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

Honest to Pesci, I read this exact same reply last gen when the PS3/360 came out. This is literally what people were saying...

This generation doesn' seem to be making giant leaps and strides that the Xbox/PS2 did. It just seems like more of the same. I remember everyone being blown away by the Xbox and PS2. Now I'm just shrugging my shoulders and saying, meh, I couldn't really care less.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8  Edited By 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

@Randolph: Wow, I guess there is truth in the saying "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@1PMrFister said:

@Randolph: Wow, I guess there is truth in the saying "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Heck I was here when the Xbox and PS2 were coming out. You know what they were saying then??

This generation doesn' seem to be making giant leaps and strides that the N64/PS1 did. It just seems like more of the same. I remember everyone being blown away by the Nintendo 64 and PS1. Now I'm just shrugging my shoulders and saying, meh, I couldn't really care less.

I am notkidding, either.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Was this post meant for Giant Bomb?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@MethodManFTW said:

?

But this is said almost every generation, the only time they didn´t it when something like the Ps1, xbox and the Wii who didn´t really reinvent anything but just came with a whole new way of gaming.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@MethodManFTW said:

?

But this is said almost every generation, the only time they didn´t it when something like the Ps1, xbox and the Wii who didn´t really reinvent anything but just came with a whole new way of gaming.

If you didn't understand that you will probably won't understand this, but you asked so ok.

Zombiepie is @'d in the post mentioning the community spotlight. He does that giant bomb, not gamespot..

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts

@MethodManFTW: Well this site is a knock off version of giantbomb now. Really don't like how the forums changed just like giantbomb's and got rid of all the interesting forum sections and randomized all the forum listings.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I cant read all that info.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By YukoAsho

@Randolph said:

@1PMrFister said:

Heck I was here when the Xbox and PS2 were coming out. You know what they were saying then??

This generation doesn' seem to be making giant leaps and strides that the N64/PS1 did. It just seems like more of the same. I remember everyone being blown away by the Nintendo 64 and PS1. Now I'm just shrugging my shoulders and saying, meh, I couldn't really care less.

I am notkidding, either.

I saw that shit too. I bet people were saying that shit about the SNES and Genesis, and the only reason we don't know about it is because we didn't have online forums. It's a cycle, you know? When the PS5 and Xbox Two come out, I bet you these same fuckers will talk shit about how fucking mind-blown they were when the PS4 and Xbone came out and how they aren't feeling it this time around.

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

I find it funny too about the corporate-sponsored data-bits about cloud computing becoming mainstream as I think it's all hot air. I know it exists, but it ain't gonna happen for games. Not this gen, not next gen either. I'm also betting that we're gonna see more black boxes---again, at 10Xs the power of what just came out.

LOL, I'm pretty impressed GameSpot---you seem to have more than a few enlightened gamers. ^_^