essential psx/ps2 i should buy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by angryassdrummer (230 posts) -

just bought through my local gumtree a package with 2xps2s + 20 games ( mostly kiddy ones) for $50aud. one for me and one for the kids plus enough games to keep them happy.

i used to have a ps2/psx when they were both new but havent played either for YEARS.. so i intend to find some awesome games for next to nothing at cash converters

what i want is your advice on say, the top 5 essential games i should buy for  both ps2/ps1?

i play pc and ios a lot at the moment but am looking forward to playing some classic playstation games that are still fun and exciting to play nowadays

the first one is Dragon Quest 8- im so angry i accidently threw that out.

whats your ideas?

(btw can be any genre, i like a bit of everything..oh also, im not trying to say "the best 5 ps1/ps2 games ever?"..im asking what 5 of each should i get that will still be fun to play in 2013"

thanks guys

#2 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
PS2: -Dragon Quest VIII -Any of the SMT PS2 titles (Persona 3FES, Persona 4, Digital Devil Saga, etc) -Yakuza series -Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary -Sly Cooper/Ratchet & Clank/Jak & Daxter series PS1 -Parasite Eve series -Silent Bomber -Darkstalkers -Rival Schools -Tetris with Cardcaptor Sakura (I'm swear I'm not even joking)
#3 Posted by angryassdrummer (230 posts) -

dragon quest 8= 100! hahah want that game bad

been told before to get a Persona game, no idea what they are like or which one is the best to start with. ideas?

Rival Schools i had back in the day actually

#4 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

PS2

-Zone of the Enders

-Gran Turismo 4

-Final Fantasy X

-Okami

-Shadow of the Colossus

-King of Fighters XI

-Tekken Tag Tournament

-Gradius V

-Half Life

PS1

-Final Fantasy VII

-Twisted Metal 2

-Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

-Tekken 3

-Mega Man Legends

-Resident Evil 2

-Chrono Cross

-Raystorm

-Dino Crisis

#5 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

dragon quest 8= 100! hahah want that game bad

been told before to get a Persona game, no idea what they are like or which one is the best to start with. ideas?

Rival Schools i had back in the day actually

angryassdrummer
I guess Persona 4 is the best to start with since they smoothed a few rough corners in the battle system. But either one between Persona 3FES and Persona 4 is a great start to get into the SMT series.)
#6 Posted by angryassdrummer (230 posts) -

thanks

will do a hunt around 2nd hand stores every now and then. most ps2 games are between $1 & $8... unfortunately most are the "kiddy" type ones i got in the package i got tonight

that will keep the kids happy but for me im excited to try and find some gems at bargain prices

#7 Posted by Heirren (16581 posts) -

thanks

will do a hunt around 2nd hand stores every now and then. most ps2 games are between $1 & $8... unfortunately most are the "kiddy" type ones i got in the package i got tonight

that will keep the kids happy but for me im excited to try and find some gems at bargain prices

angryassdrummer
Twisted Metal 1&2 are probably my two favorite games on the console. They're all about gameplay. I recommend picking them up. No game to this date has matched them in the respected genre.
#8 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

Just 5 for each eh? In no particular order..

PS2:

1. Gran Turismo 3/4
  2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  3. Ratchet & Clank 2/3/Gladiator
  4. God of War 1/2
  5. Ace Combat 5/6

PS1:

1. N-Gen Racing
  2. Vigilante 8 1/2
  3. Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus
  4. Resident Evil 1/2/3
  5. Spyro 1/2/3

Note: Gran Turismo 2 is probably the best game on PS1, but if you've got 3 or 4 on the PS2 then there's not much point in having it, unless you're a collector.

#9 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23468 posts) -