Elder Scrolls Online - How different will it be?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

My wife LOVED Oblivion and Skyrim on the 360. She played them for easily 400-500 hours. She's not really a gamer but something about those had her hooked. She has zero interest in the ESO game because its an "MMORPG". Will it really be that different? Will she have to interact with other gamers or just do quests as usual and never truly have to interact with people?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mynamesdenvrmax said:

My wife LOVED Oblivion and Skyrim on the 360. She played them for easily 400-500 hours. She's not really a gamer but something about those had her hooked. She has zero interest in the ESO game because its an "MMORPG". Will it really be that different? Will she have to interact with other gamers or just do quests as usual and never truly have to interact with people?

If your wife loved Oblivion and Skyrim and spent 400-500hours in them, then she will love playing Elder Scrolls online and if she doesnt it can imo only be the multiplayer element and not the games content, because the game plays and feels like Skyrim almost 100%

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

As with most modern MMOs, you don't ever need to do the group content unless you want to max out your gear. You can turn chat off and quest solo at your leisure. ESO has a much stronger narrative presence than traditional TES games and there's way more stuff to do out in the world.

If you look at the map there are these unfilled icons that represent some sort of local conflict. You go to that area and there are quest chains that all relate to what's happening in that region. A lot of times you will have the choice with how these situations are resolved, and the landscape will change to reflect those choices. Some of these areas are actually part of a larger story and can be thought of as chapters...when you venture further into the territory your decisions in these previous areas will echo in the subsequent chapters. It's a very refreshing take on MMO quest structure that immerses you in the world in a way that most modern MMOs fail at.

And there are also guild quests...fighter's, mage's and undaunted for now with thieves and morag tong being added later. You can also become a werewolf or vampire. One of the things that I love is that the fighter's guild has skills that make them more effective at hunting down werewolves and undead, creating this game within a game where, hey, you're tired of emo vampire kids? Hunt them down

You can ignore the group stuff, but some it is very cool. I love the guild store concept, where you can hold territory in Cyrodil and actually open up a store that other players can shop at. The justice system also sounds very cool, where it will be left up to players to dispense justice to thieves and assassin's guild members, but this is to be introduced at a later date.

I see some people on twitch already at veteran levels...which is insane. Meanwhile, I've been playing since sunday and I'm content to just spend hours taking in the sites, stopping to fish or take screenshots, going nowhere in particular. I almost leveled entirely on hunting down chests. It's a very satisfying game world. Combat is pretty fun, too...one of the best MMO combat systems I've played. Part of why I've been going so slow is I keep going back and forth between different characters...so much flexibility to the build system without sacrificing depth.

Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I don't know if she will get past the monthly payment, hopefully they'll exclude that from the console versions. I don't see console players paying for XBL/PSN and then paying to play the game. Not to mention the $60 price.