EGM article on Wii says, cheap, crap games are signs of a healthy system

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

In the newest EGM, there's this long article about why the Wii has so many bad, cheap and terrible games. I won't write excerpts on the whole article, but this comment stood out:

The president of EE Fund Management President Ted Pollak says this about the Wii's flood of bad ports and cheap games. He claims, "When you have cheap, crap games, that's a sign of a healthy system." He goes on to say, "There's so much interest in making games for the DS/Wii that out of every five or six games, there's going to be a gem."

EGM responds in saying, "Pollak does have a point--it may be extremely easy to get a title approved on a Nintendo system, but that also means publishers and developers can take a lot more risks when making something completely new. Still that means wading through tons of terrible software in order to find one title that doesn't totally suck."

I kind of disagree and agree with Pollak at the same time. There are some gems like Trauma Center, Zak & Wiki, Dewey's Adventure, etc. that are totally original and creative taking new approaches to gaming. But there's more terrible software over all those gems. Well, the PS1 had tons of terrible software, so did the SNES/NES...but then so did the N64.

But it's only the beginning of the Wii's run so there's so much time left to see what devs. will do with the Wii. I personally look to the DS's successful run whenever I have doubts about the Wii. There are tons of crap in the DS's library, but among those, there's also a lot of awesome games for sure. And the hits just keep on coming like Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden, etc. And where else can you play games like Professor Layton, Hotel Dusk, Trauma Center, and Phoenix Wright? I hope games like these come to the Wii as well.

EGM concludes by saying this obvious remark: " Well, at least one thing will always remain the same: Nintendo's first-party developed games will continue to be the best releases you'll find on the DS and Wii." That we can all agree to.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Heh, I thought this was going to be a fanboyish post for a second there. :P

I mean, the guy is speaking some truth... the PS2 had a ton of cheap, crap games, but it also had a ton of good games.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
More like 1 out 30.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
See, to me it doesn't matter what the proportion is of good games to bad ones, because bottom line is that I don't play the bad games. I'm only going to play the good ones. A bunch of terrible games might be indicative of certain trends, but from the perspective of a gamer, they're totally irrelevant. Unless you're employed to review them, but that's another problem.
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
As long as 3rd parties begin to make better games, I think it may be true...
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
What did EGM say about Metroid?
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

See, to me it doesn't matter what the proportion is of good games to bad ones, because bottom line is that I don't play the bad games. I'm only going to play the good ones. A bunch of terrible games might be indicative of certain trends, but from the perspective of a gamer, they're totally irrelevant. Unless you're employed to review them, but that's another problem.Oilers99

Agreed I consider the 32/64 bit gen to be the best era in gaming history but I also consider it to have by far the highest ratio of bad to good games. *X out the 8 bit era*.

Heh, I thought this was going to be a fanboyish post for a second there. :P

I mean, the guy is speaking some truth... the PS2 had a ton of cheap, crap games, but it also had a ton of good games.

Funkyhamster

This is 100% true.

Wet_Sand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wet_Sand
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
Which issue number of EGM is this article in?
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
See, to me it doesn't matter what the proportion is of good games to bad ones, because bottom line is that I don't play the bad games. I'm only going to play the good ones. A bunch of terrible games might be indicative of certain trends, but from the perspective of a gamer, they're totally irrelevant. Unless you're employed to review them, but that's another problem.Oilers99
I agree, I ignore games I know wont interest me and keep tabs on ones that I know will. And the games that dont intrest me I still listen to word of mouth to see if they actually turn out to be any good. People complain about the slow trickle of good games on the Wii and I agree, but thats what multiple consoles are for. There is never a slow time for me, never.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
Well it really isn't hard for a system to not have many cheap crappy games, but if a console's publishers aren't willing to take chances on games then I think that that is really worse than not having many crappy games. I mean the 360's average game score for all of its games combined is around the high 7 or low 8's which is really good, but although I would say it boasts the most solid lineup, it is any where close to being as varied of a lineup as we saw on the PS1, PS2, or SNES all of which had their own fair share of horrible games.