Edge-Online: Next Xbox Will Require Always-On Internet, No Used Games.

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

[QUOTE="BuldozerX"]I had to create a membership just so I could discuss this BS. There are so much wrong with banning used game, so let`s begin: After reading about this everywhere I see it pisses almost every consumer off. When we pay full price for a game we should be able to do what we want with it. Thats how everything works, and it`s wrong to ban used games just because you have the patent to do so. This will turn consumers away from buying both their consoles and their games. Stores like Gamestop will die, and they are selling new consoles, and games as well. It`s BS that they don`t make money out of used games. I pay for Xbox Live because it allows me to play used games online. When I bought a used copy of Mass Effect I payed real money for every single DLC. When I bought a used copy of Far Cry 3 I payed for a online pass. No used games will probably mean less people will pay for DLC`s. So now I have to pay for Xbox Live, the console, full price games, and Internet? Wow, that`s a lot of money . On Norway I have to pay more than 100 dollars each game as well. We have something called taxes you know. We won`t be able to trade games, loan games, rent games..... What happens the day the consoles dies or turn old? The day they shut down the online servers. Am I the prideful owner of 200 games that I no longer can`t play because the online support is gone? Will these games never have a future within retro gaming? Another issue is that pirate will find a way to hack this, they always do. When that happens, it could create some black marked for used games on these consoles. We can still sell our "useless" copies you know. But to one of my biggest consernes. What will happen when games are out of stock and we no longer are able to find new copies? Publishers will always produce a limited amount of games, and they stop doing so when the game is not longer popular among the consumers. What happens then? Do we have to go on Ebay and pray that someone is selling a brand new copy of that game? And if they do, we probably have to pay a huge amount of money, because when the other copies are useless, the new copy is a rare treasure. I know some of you will say; they will probably let you download the game digital then. I say **** NO. Aren`t these game supposed to be released on 50 GB discs? Yeah ok, I guess everyone can just download 50 GB without problems. Bigboi500

I'm surprised everyone just ignored your post as well as my own from earlier.

Once PSN and Xbox Live are removed from PS3 and Xbox 360, what are we supposed to do with our digital titles? I won't be able to download them again as I won't be able to sign in. If my console breaks, I can't call Sony or Microsoft to help with the license transfers either. Everything you purchased will be gone, everything turns into a glorified rental.

This does not work for consoles, whereas PC is a singular platform, consoles are not. Once the hardware dies everything you purchased dies with it. With PC everything transfers from one to the other. I'd also like to point out that here in Canada some of use have download caps, otherwise it will cost me even more. My internet speeds are also troublesome at times, forcing me to be online in order to play would absolutely ruin my gaming experience.

As it stands now, you don't have to be signed in to play your digital titles that are already on your hard drive. As far as expecting to have and download them on next gen systems, good luck with that.

I do not expect to download my purchased digital titles on next gen consoles. I'm also aware that I do not need to be online in order to play my titles, but next gen this is a real possibility. Add in the fact that once PSN and Xbox Live go down, if something happens to my current gen console I may not be able to download anything I purchased or even transfer the liceneses in order to play them on another console. However with physical copies and no codes, I have nothing to worry about.

So many people don't understand that everything purchased digitally is nothing more than a glorified rental, you do not own it in any way. Once the network for that console is shut down you are basically left pissing in the wind. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't like the idea of throwing away my money for what is the equivalent of a rental.

#152 Posted by BuldozerX (269 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

Once PSN and Xbox Live are removed from PS3 and Xbox 360, what are we supposed to do with our digital titles? I won't be able to download them again as I won't be able to sign in. If my console breaks, I can't call Sony or Microsoft to help with the license transfers either. Everything you purchased will be gone, everything turns into a glorified rental.

This does not work for consoles, whereas PC is a singular platform, consoles are not. Once the hardware dies everything you purchased dies with it. With PC everything transfers from one to the other. I'd also like to point out that here in Canada some of use have download caps, otherwise it will cost me even more. My internet speeds are also troublesome at times, forcing me to be online in order to play would absolutely ruin my gaming experience.

contracts420

As it stands now, you don't have to be signed in to play your digital titles that are already on your hard drive. As far as expecting to have and download them on next gen systems, good luck with that.

I do not expect to download my purchased digital titles on next gen consoles. I'm also aware that I do not need to be online in order to play my titles, but next gen this is a real possibility. Add in the fact that once PSN and Xbox Live go down, if something happens to my current gen console I may not be able to download anything I purchased or even transfer the liceneses in order to play them on another console. However with physical copies and no codes, I have nothing to worry about.

So many people don't understand that everything purchased digitally is nothing more than a glorified rental, you do not own it in any way. Once the network for that console is shut down you are basically left pissing in the wind. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't like the idea of throwing away my money for what is the equivalent of a rental.

Well said, and true. Many EA Games lack online multiplayer support after a couple of years. The only problem is that this will happen with single player and every offline mode as well if they do this.
#153 Posted by LazySloth718 (2332 posts) -

Kinect sucks.

But we already have a system wars forum so use it.

#154 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -

Kinect sucks.

But we already have a system wars forum so use it.

LazySloth718

Even before the new rules were instituted, this thread would be fine.  Telling people where to post doesn't add anything to a thread.

#155 Posted by BuldozerX (269 posts) -
But do you guys really think they will block used games?
#156 Posted by Bigboi500 (29082 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

contracts420

Yeah I agree with you on that, and if these terrible things end up being true I wouldn't even consider buying them. Ever.

#157 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

But do you guys really think they will block used games?BuldozerX

No. Because even if they want to, neither Microsoft or Sony wants to be one to pull the trigger. It's too big a gamble. They'd only do it if they had reason to believe it wouldn't backfire.

#158 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
The best way for Sony and MS to combat used games is to launch with huge HDDs and make digital a more compelling option. I'm all digital on my Vita and my PC. I don't ever go to retail stores, and I don't really look for used games. I've grown to love Steam sales and the convenience of shopping for games from my couch too much to go see if Gamestop has some used game for $5 cheaper than the retail price.
#159 Posted by Bigboi500 (29082 posts) -

The best way for Sony and MS to combat used games is to launch with huge HDDs and make digital a more compelling option. I'm all digital on my Vita and my PC. I don't ever go to retail stores, and I don't really look for used games. I've grown to love Steam sales and the convenience of shopping for games from my couch too much to go see if Gamestop has some used game for $5 cheaper than the retail price.rragnaar
You don't have to use Gamestop to look for used games. Theirs are always in terrible condition and have nasty stickers all over the game box. Gamefly, Amazon and Glyde have used games in excellent condition @ very cheap prices that make digital purchases on console feel like highway robbery.

A lot of us are cautiously pessimistic about going full digital for fear of things like limited usage on systems, and future availability.

I've gone almost fully digital on Vita as well, and I worry about some of my purchases for a decade or so down the road. If my Vita goes bad at that time, will games like Little Big Planet Vita and Persona 4 Golden still be available for me to re-download?

#160 Posted by Gamefan1986 (1317 posts) -

The best way for Sony and MS to combat used games is to launch with huge HDDs and make digital a more compelling option. I'm all digital on my Vita and my PC. I don't ever go to retail stores, and I don't really look for used games. I've grown to love Steam sales and the convenience of shopping for games from my couch too much to go see if Gamestop has some used game for $5 cheaper than the retail price.rragnaar

Better hope Sony doesn't end up robbing you like Microsoft did to me. Microsoft had a couple of the Streets of Rage games on XBLA so I downloaded SOR 2 because I already have the 1st one on my Wii. Went to go play it the other day and I came to find out that it isn't available anymore, they took it all the SOR games down and combined them all into 1 download of the whole trilogy, so now I can't play Streets of Rage 2, which means Microsoft basically robbed me of $10, and I can totally see stuff like that happening more often in a digital only environment.

#161 Posted by Bigboi500 (29082 posts) -

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]The best way for Sony and MS to combat used games is to launch with huge HDDs and make digital a more compelling option. I'm all digital on my Vita and my PC. I don't ever go to retail stores, and I don't really look for used games. I've grown to love Steam sales and the convenience of shopping for games from my couch too much to go see if Gamestop has some used game for $5 cheaper than the retail price.Gamefan1986

Better hope Sony doesn't end up robbing you like Microsoft did to me. Microsoft had a couple of the Streets of Rage games on XBLA so I downloaded SOR 2 because I already have the 1st one on my Wii. Went to go play it the other day and I came to find out that it isn't available anymore, they took it all the SOR games down and combined them all into 1 download of the whole trilogy, so now I can't play Streets of Rage 2, which means Microsoft basically robbed me of $10, and I can totally see stuff like that happening more often in a digital only environment.

That's a scary thing to see. Sometimes when I'm perusing the PSN store I come across a title that says "not available". These are not good signs for the digital game market.

#162 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

That's a scary thing to see. Sometimes when I'm perusing the PSN store I come across a title that says "not available". These are not good signs for the digital game market.Bigboi500

Yeah, that's worrisome. They'll have to address that if we're to move toward a digital-only future.

#163 Posted by getyeryayasout (7032 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]That's a scary thing to see. Sometimes when I'm perusing the PSN store I come across a title that says "not available". These are not good signs for the digital game market.c_rake

Yeah, that's worrisome. They'll have to address that if we're to move toward a digital-only future.

I'd noticed the "no longer available" tag and was worried as well, so I decided to put my digital copy of Joe Danger on the line. I deleted it from my hdd even though it's labled as not being available any longer on PSN. I'm happy to report that I was able to re-download Joe Danger, even though it's marked as "NLA" on PS Store, by locating it on my Download List. I couldn't re-downloand the game from the Store or Purchase History, only my Download List, which is found under the heading Transaction Management on XMB.
#164 Posted by BuldozerX (269 posts) -
Banning used games don`t bothers me. What bothers me are everything else that comes with it. I don`t buy used games for the current gen. I buy used games for my Sega Dreamcast and Master system. Sega are not losing any money, because their systems are already dead, and have been dead for very long. But yeah, i`m allowed to buy used games for these old system, and it`s important to me. If these systems were released with a "used games ban" I would probably not own many retro games today. I don`t buy PC games that requires online in order to play offline, like Diablo 3. Why? Because i`m not owning the game. I`m owning the plastic, and the paper manuals, but Blizzard decide when they will remove the online support, leaving the game dead and unplayable. Every game developer will do this sooner or later. When I bought EA MMA for Xbox 360 I payed for the online function. Guess what, I can`t play that game online in this game anymore. The servers are down. If the same happened to offline mode, I would have thrown it out the window long ago. The other thing that bothers me is that they will always produce a limited amount of game copies. If they release ten games I want each month, I could probably only afford 1-2 of them. What of the rest of these goes out of stock while i`m saving up money for them, and they stop producing them. Will I not be able to play these games, ever? Do I have to go on Ebay and pay 300 dollars for these game, because they now has gone rare? I can`t believe some of you don`t see the issue in this at all. Blocking the used game is the same as renting it.
#165 Posted by BuldozerX (269 posts) -
Haha. Imagine paying 60 dollars for short games like Kane & Lynch and Force Unleashed (5-6 hours single player), and after you`re done with it, you can`t either give it away or sell it. Who`s buying those games for next gen?
#166 Posted by Saruman1719 (12466 posts) -
Nothing about the next Microsoft system sounds appealing, be it the truth or the rumors. If this stuff is true, I'm not sure what could get to buy their system.
#167 Posted by BuldozerX (269 posts) -
Well, MS is thinking otherwise, and they`ll rather piss us off to earn more money.
#168 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Nothing about the next Microsoft system sounds appealing, be it the truth or the rumors. If this stuff is true, I'm not sure what could get to buy their system.Saruman1719

Well, there is no truth to speak of since all of this is unsubstantiated rumor at this point so I don't really follow your logic here.

#169 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Well, MS is thinking otherwise, and they`ll rather piss us off to earn more money.BuldozerX

We don't know what MS is "thinking" because, again, none of this has been confirmed.

And the one thing I am sure of, having been through quite a few console reveals, is that some of these rumors will be proven entirely false.

#170 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="BuldozerX"]Well, MS is thinking otherwise, and they`ll rather piss us off to earn more money.Grammaton-Cleric

We don't know what MS is "thinking" because, again, none of this has been confirmed.

And the one thing I am sure of, having been through quite a few console reveals, is that some of these rumors will be proven entirely false.

Right. People need to remember that no one besides Edge has confirmed this report. Unlike the specs which have been confirmed by multiple news outlets.

#171 Posted by Planeforger (15460 posts) -
Sounds like the WiiU might not be in as much trouble as we first thought, if this info is true. I mean, compared to Microsoft's draconian nonsense and Sony's inevitable mismanagement of whatever they come up with, a console that simply plays games is looking pretty good at the moment.
#172 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Sounds like the WiiU might not be in as much trouble as we first thought, if this info is true. I mean, compared to Microsoft's draconian nonsense and Sony's inevitable mismanagement of whatever they come up with, a console that simply plays games is looking pretty good at the moment.Planeforger

Not really. If core gamers who care nothing for Mario decide to skip the PS4 and the X720, they will stick with the PS3 and the X360. The Wii U hasn't/isn't getting most of 2013's top games.

#173 Posted by Godly_Cure (4292 posts) -

I just saw something Jeff Gerstmann said on Twitter that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Instead of flat-out banning used games, what if Microsoft is planning on creating a system like the online pass? Used games could work, but you would have to spend and extra $10 to unlock the game if it's used.

I still wouldn't like that at all but it seems like that route would be less console suicide-y.

JML897
It would probably stop me from buying the console.
#174 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Sounds like the WiiU might not be in as much trouble as we first thought, if this info is true. I mean, compared to Microsoft's draconian nonsense and Sony's inevitable mismanagement of whatever they come up with, a console that simply plays games is looking pretty good at the moment.Planeforger

The Wii U is in trouble because the pad is a gimmick that clearly nobody is all that interested in and the rest of the console is predicated on archaic hardware.

There's no reason to purchase a Wii U if you own either (or both) the XB360 and PS3 unless you want exclusives and that issue of exclusives is what prompts people to choose and purchase certain consoles in the first place.

While I would be incredibly annoyed if these rumors prove true, such restrictions, draconian as they appear, are no more a transgression than Nintendo putting out pitiful hardware that can barely match consoles from 2006.  

#175 Posted by BuldozerX (269 posts) -

Still doesnt solve the issue that these games will die when the online support is gone. Single player wont even work anymore.

#176 Posted by CastieI (124 posts) -
It's odd seeing so many people jump to so many conclusions about an unreleased product, based on an unconfirmed rumor. An unconfirmed rumor that pops up for just about every new piece of hardware that has been released from Sony and Microsoft since 2005.
#177 Posted by BuldozerX (269 posts) -

It's odd seeing so many people jump to so many conclusions about an unreleased product, based on an unconfirmed rumor. An unconfirmed rumor that pops up for just about every new piece of hardware that has been released from Sony and Microsoft since 2005.CastieI

Because Edge speaks like its confirmed, saying "we`re confident that this is true"

#178 Posted by Sstrawberryjam (21 posts) -

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]The best way for Sony and MS to combat used games is to launch with huge HDDs and make digital a more compelling option. I'm all digital on my Vita and my PC. I don't ever go to retail stores, and I don't really look for used games. I've grown to love Steam sales and the convenience of shopping for games from my couch too much to go see if Gamestop has some used game for $5 cheaper than the retail price.Gamefan1986

Man, that is straight up awful. Did you ever complain?

#179 Posted by Gamefan1986 (1317 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gamefan1986"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]The best way for Sony and MS to combat used games is to launch with huge HDDs and make digital a more compelling option. I'm all digital on my Vita and my PC. I don't ever go to retail stores, and I don't really look for used games. I've grown to love Steam sales and the convenience of shopping for games from my couch too much to go see if Gamestop has some used game for $5 cheaper than the retail price.Sstrawberryjam

Man, that is straight up awful. Did you ever complain?

Well I just noticed it the other day, but for all I know this changeover could have happened a year ago, I think if I called them they'd just LOL in my face.