EA's CEO steps down.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
#2 Posted by Flubbbs (2955 posts) -

John Riccitiello has resigned from EA, it will become effective on March 30th.  Hopefully the SimCity launch makes the entire company rethink how it does business.

rragnaar

im suprised he wasnt out earlier

#3 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Let's just say I'm really glad to see him go. 

#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18262 posts) -
My reaction to this
#5 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

#6 Posted by Archangel3371 (15348 posts) -
Interesting. I wonder who will replace him.
#7 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

Good news!

#8 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Interesting. I wonder who will replace him.Archangel3371

Saw someone suggest Peter Moore. Wouldn't surprise me, but I hope it's not him.

#9 Posted by c_rakestraw (14599 posts) -

(picture)

S0lidSnake

So which is it -- did he step down or was he actually fired?

#10 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

he didn't leave because of worries about goodwill or consumer happiness. he outright mentions failing to meet financial goals. somehow that doesn't leave me convinced that EA will take greater risks in financing games or that they will back off on stuff like revenue per consumer.

but hey, hopefully they do end up publishing interesting games.

#11 Posted by CursedChamp (506 posts) -
Maybe EA will learn from their mistakes finally.
#12 Posted by Cyberdot (3518 posts) -
I think it's safe to say that it's good news. EA's image is badly damaged due to their terrible practice.
#13 Posted by Wasdie (49614 posts) -

Awesome. 

#14 Posted by Darkmoone1 (2819 posts) -
One can hope that this is a turning point for EA to be a overall better company.
#15 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

*Shrugs* I can't get excited. Supposedly this guy is resigning due to poor profitability, but Simcity Sometimes Online and that microtransaction filled IoS racing gaming have both made EA a lot of money, the new guy might be even more worse than the the old one.

#16 Posted by taiwwa (251 posts) -

I can't hate EA. But I'm also more forgiving than most for buggy launches, mostly because I don't play newly launched games.

Sim City looks like they put some interesting effort into it to make it a neat experience. 

Now, if you want evil, how about Bobby Kotick? Look at what he did to Infinity Ward, just as they finished the masterpiece that is MW2? 

#17 Posted by Sharpie125 (3904 posts) -

Heh, now it is Activision's turn to rise because Bobby K has been real quiet the last few years. Them and EA just trade off the mantle back and forth through the years; when COD fever was at its peak, a lot of us were championing EA and 2010 was a pretty great year in that regard (Mass Effect 2/Bad Company 2). Maybe Destiny will be Acti's messiah.

#18 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Interesting. Well hopefully it signals a turning point for the company and we get some great content.
#19 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73582 posts) -
He invested in Mirror's Edge. For that, I can't hate the man. I only hope they find someone better, and not someone who will continue to drag down the company even further.
#20 Posted by istuffedsunny (6981 posts) -
Why rethink anything? DS3 and Simcity sold great. The general public has proven time and again that they're willing to buy anything based on hype and name recognition.
#21 Posted by taiwwa (251 posts) -

Man, if you read the article, the guy didn't seem all that bad. Like, he's an actual fan of gaming, while the other guys seem to be in it for the money alone. Money alone, EA did lose like 2 billion over something like 4 years.

His biggest mistake probably was taking on Bioware and the disaster that is SWTOR. I mean, SWTOR is simply an awful game.

#22 Posted by BranKetra (48110 posts) -
I wonder if the new EA CEO will allow KOTOR 3.
#23 Posted by _Dez_ (2398 posts) -

I feel like things are more likely to get worse than anything else, though I hope I'm wrong on that. There was a period where they tried to bring in new IPs back then, so it wasn't all bad. Wonder who will replace him.

#24 Posted by Moriarity_ (1349 posts) -
Why rethink anything? DS3 and Simcity sold great. The general public has proven time and again that they're willing to buy anything based on hype and name recognition. istuffedsunny
Well EA apparently has pretty high standards as far as profitability goes. Lets not forget that Dead Space 3 wasn't profitable enough for EA so they axed the series. Kind of makes you wonder how profitable a game needs to be for EA to not immediately toss it aside.
#25 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18262 posts) -
He invested in Mirror's Edge. For that, I can't hate the man. I only hope they find someone better, and not someone who will continue to drag down the company even further.JustPlainLucas
"Invested" is a big word, considering he froze development of the game once or twice
#26 Posted by punkpunker (3321 posts) -

you should be bashing on frank gibeau for those horrendous sequels of esteblished IPs.

#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70565 posts) -

Man, if you read the article, the guy didn't seem all that bad. Like, he's an actual fan of gaming, while the other guys seem to be in it for the money alone. Money alone, EA did lose like 2 billion over something like 4 years.

His biggest mistake probably was taking on Bioware and the disaster that is SWTOR. I mean, SWTOR is simply an awful game.

taiwwa
I love that game, i have spent countless hours on it, there is a great story for each class there. Anyways, i know what you mean though
#28 Posted by Allicrombie (25122 posts) -
He invested in Mirror's Edge. For that, I can't hate the man. I only hope they find someone better, and not someone who will continue to drag down the company even further.JustPlainLucas
#29 Posted by taiwwa (251 posts) -

[QUOTE="taiwwa"]

The_Last_Ride

I love that game, i have spent countless hours on it, there is a great story for each class there. Anyways, i know what you mean though

I had high hopes for it, but it's just simply not a good game. The original KOTORS were better, and the original WOW is better. Mixing them...just doesn't work IMO

#30 Posted by Comduter (2148 posts) -

Now he can become a top-level executive at Bank Of America (where he belongs).

#31 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18360 posts) -
I guess they will up the price and amount of day one dlc and online passes.