EA / Valve unbundling The Orange Box and will sell each game separately

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Does anyone know or hear about this?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165816

Basically, before March 31, the games in Orange Box will be released separately. Prices aren't set yet but I expect budget-friendly prices.

Knowing EA, I knew this would happen.

So anyone who always wanted Portal or Episode Two because they already have Episode One and the original Half-Life 2, or have a slow connection for Steam, this is a great chance to pick them up!

i-like-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 i-like-pie
Member since 2005 • 4070 Posts
Awww it pc only :( I'm kinda interested in Portal.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
gimme portal for $10-15 and ill be happy. im not really interested in the rest.
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts
DAMMIT! I already had HL2 and Ep 1 and paid for them again! :evil:
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
For me, Portal and TF2 alone were worth the $45 I paid for the OB. Then I got Episode 1 and 2 on top of that. I can see if you already own HL2/EP1 but even then the OB is a steal of a deal. This is a decent idea but unless people already own more than just HL2 and EP1 it really isn't worth the time when you can just get three games for less than the price of one.

It is good if some don't want it all though.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

This is PC only which doesn't make any sense since you could buy all the games seperately off Steam from day 1. I expect the prices to be the same as Steam ones - Portal = $20, Episode Two, Team Fortress 2 = $30.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Perfect. I want Episode 2.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

This is PC only which doesn't make any sense since you could buy all the games seperately off Steam from day 1. I expect the prices to be the same as Steam ones - Portal = $20, Episode Two, Team Fortress 2 = $30.

UpInFlames

There's probably still a sizable market of people who can't or won't buy games distributed digitally for whatever reason. Some people just prefer having the physical copy instead. I'm kind of like that myself sometimes, it all depends on the differences in cost, any bonuses of one over the other, and availability of the physical copy.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

Archangel3371

There's probably still a sizable market of people who can't or won't buy games distributed digitally for whatever reason. Some people just prefer having the physical copy instead. I'm kind of like that myself sometimes, it all depends on the differences in cost, any bonuses of one over the other, and availability of the physical copy.

I happen to be one of those people as well. I would rather have a hard copy of the game if possible over digital distribution. That goes for music as well.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts
gimme portal for $10-15 and ill be happy. im not really interested in the rest.OneWingedAngeI
That's pretty much where I'm at. I really want Portal but I'm a bit hesitant to pay $20 for such a short game.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]gimme portal for $10-15 and ill be happy. im not really interested in the rest.Archon_basic
That's pretty much where I'm at. I really want Portal but I'm a bit hesitant to pay $20 for such a short game.

I already have it for the 360...but how good are the custom levels I've been hearing about?

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
This sure does not surprise me, EA and Valve together? They are going milk this baby dry:o
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foxhound_fox
There's probably still a sizable market of people who can't or won't buy games distributed digitally for whatever reason. Some people just prefer having the physical copy instead. I'm kind of like that myself sometimes, it all depends on the differences in cost, any bonuses of one over the other, and availability of the physical copy.Archangel3371

You still have to connect to the internet through Steam to activate the games and can make backups through Steam at any time. Other than colourful boxes to add to your collection, it really isn't worth buying it in retail... that and its probably going to be more expensive.
stephant_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 stephant_6
Member since 2005 • 1758 Posts
Wait wtf? They were already available seperately on steam...
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
might as well if its going to make more money sounds like a good plan.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OneWingedAngeI

some people like actually fully owning their games, not the partial ownership thing that steam does. most people don't realize that buying through digitaldistributionforfeits a major right of owning something. namely, resale. any normal game you are free to buy and resell. digital copies are restricted to one account. there is also something to be said for lending games to people.

i realize its not a big deal to some people, but i do not like the idea if it one day becomes the only option. its not as big a deal with PC games, since there is less resale value, but with console games the future digital distribution model worries me. i very much enjoy the second hand gaming market. it's quite fun to search out games and to make nice sales to fund future purchases.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

gimme portal for $10-15 and ill be happy. im not really interested in the rest.OneWingedAngeI

Yeah, Portal was actually the only part of the Orange Box I was completely happy with. I kinda wish I would've bought it off Steam separately instead of getting the whole box. But then again, Adam Foster's next mod will probably require episode 2 so I guess I'd have had to get it sooner or later any way.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]gimme portal for $10-15 and ill be happy. im not really interested in the rest.inoperativeRS

Yeah, Portal was actually the only part of the Orange Box I was completely happy with. I kinda wish I would've bought it off Steam separately instead of getting the whole box. But then again, Adam Foster's next mod will probably require episode 2 so I guess I'd have had to get it sooner or later any way.

You didn't like episode 2? I personally thought it was amazing. Tons of action in that game (hunter battles were very fun even if the AI wasn't nearly as godly as Valve had been hyping) and it filled in a lot of plot details.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]gimme portal for $10-15 and ill be happy. im not really interested in the rest.gameguy6700

You didn't like episode 2? I personally thought it was amazing. Tons of action in that game (hunter battles were very fun even if the AI wasn't nearly as godly as Valve had been hyping) and it filled in a lot of plot details.

It was ok, but I have to admit I've come to grow tired of only getting new extensions to HL2. I never thought the core mechanics were as great as in the first one and by now the physics and graphics are getting a bit dated so there's nothing that stands out in it any more. The story is, well, I know there is a quite good story beneath it all, but TBH I'm already more than fed up with it all.

I anticipated the release of the final part of Adam Foster's excellent mod Minerva more than the release of Episode 2 and I also came to enjoy it more.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UpInFlames

some people like actually fully owning their games, not the partial ownership thing that steam does. most people don't realize that buying through digitaldistributionforfeits a major right of owning something. namely, resale. any normal game you are free to buy and resell. digital copies are restricted to one account. there is also something to be said for lending games to people.OneWingedAngeI

Technically, you don't fully own any of your PC games, just the license. Also, you can give away games over Steam so no, they're not restricted to one account.

Hey, I prefer boxed copies as well, but not to the extent that I would never buy anything over Steam. If I was only interested in Portal, buying it over Steam would be a no-brainer for me.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox
some people like actually fully owning their games, not the partial ownership thing that steam does. most people don't realize that buying through digitaldistributionforfeits a major right of owning something. namely, resale. any normal game you are free to buy and resell. digital copies are restricted to one account. there is also something to be said for lending games to people.

i realize its not a big deal to some people, but i do not like the idea if it one day becomes the only option. its not as big a deal with PC games, since there is less resale value, but with console games the future digital distribution model worries me. i very much enjoy the second hand gaming market. it's quite fun to search out games and to make nice sales to fund future purchases.

OneWingedAngeI

I myself am not too keen on buying used PC games, especially if there are CD-Keys involved. And technically, under the EULA you never "own" a game. DD for PC is the next big step. You can back up all your Steam games to physical media and can download them onto any computer that is connected to the internet. I really don't see how buying PC games in retail is better than DD. I guess if you like paying more for said game then sure...
_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _Bear
[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]some people like actually fully owning their games, not the partial ownership thing that steam does. most people don't realize that buying through digitaldistributionforfeits a major right of owning something. namely, resale. any normal game you are free to buy and resell. digital copies are restricted to one account. there is also something to be said for lending games to people.

foxhound_fox

I myself am not too keen on buying used PC games, especially if there are CD-Keys involved. And technically, under the EULA you never "own" a game. DD for PC is the next big step. You can back up all your Steam games to physical media and can download them onto any computer that is connected to the internet. I really don't see how buying PC games in retail is better than DD. I guess if you like paying more for said game then sure...

Who pays full price retail? The reason I buy retail is I can always and I do mean always get PC games at 39.99 or less and most often 29.99 you can't do that on steam. If bought games from steam I would be paying full retail price all the time , you have to be kidding me.

PS I have to ask with a good bit of sarcasim do you work for Valve? Maybe EA?

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 OneWingedAngeI

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]some people like actually fully owning their games, not the partial ownership thing that steam does. most people don't realize that buying through digitaldistributionforfeits a major right of owning something. namely, resale. any normal game you are free to buy and resell. digital copies are restricted to one account. there is also something to be said for lending games to people.UpInFlames

Technically, you don't fully own any of your PC games, just the license. Also, you can give away games over Steam so no, they're not restricted to one account.

Hey, I prefer boxed copies as well, but not to the extent that I would never buy anything over Steam. If I was only interested in Portal, buying it over Steam would be a no-brainer for me.

yes i know you dont technically own the game, but you can sell it and someone else can play it, or you can lend it. i was not aware you could give them away over steam, makes it slightly better but still. some people like to have a physical procuct. when it becomes purely electronic it changes the nature of it.

also, you miss out on all store sales when using steam.

@ foxhound, i understand the CD key issue, but aside from them used is fine, and what about borrowing?

i dont necessarily hate DD but if it was the only option, i would hate that. i tend to get games much cheaper in retail than what steam offers, and i get more for my money. its a physical, tradable, salable item.

DD in and of itself is not bad as long as it isnt the only way.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]some people like actually fully owning their games, not the partial ownership thing that steam does. most people don't realize that buying through digitaldistributionforfeits a major right of owning something. namely, resale. any normal game you are free to buy and resell. digital copies are restricted to one account. there is also something to be said for lending games to people.OneWingedAngeI

Yeah I know what you mean. I don't mind getting games through digital distribution but if I can get the actual physical copy in a store for minimal difference in price, although price difference that I find appropriate can vary depending on the condition of the game and what else may come packed in with it I'll usually go with picking up the physical copy.

I also sell/trade games quite regularly so being able to so more easily and getting more value on it is another big bonus for me especially when talking about console games.

Then there is just that certain something that I really like about going to the store, getting a game, tearing off the shrink-wrap and flipping through the manual. I really like the little niceties like the nice artwork on the disc itself, game cover, and a nicely done instruction booklet.

I just want to keep the option of being able to do either/or.

yes i know you dont technically own the game, but you can sell it and someone else can play it, or you can lend it. i was not aware you could give them away over steam, makes it slightly better but still. some people like to have a physical procuct. when it becomes purely electronic it changes the nature of it.

also, you miss out on all store sales when using steam.

@ foxhound, i understand the CD key issue, but aside from them used is fine, and what about borrowing?

i dont necessarily hate DD but if it was the only option, i would hate that. i tend to get games much cheaper in retail than what steam offers, and i get more for my money. its a physical, tradable, salable item.

DD in and of itself is not bad as long as it isnt the only way.

Yeah I know what you mean. I don't mind getting games through digital distribution but if I can get the actual physical copy of the game with minimal effort and/or cost I'd prefer to get it that way. Minimal cost for me can vary quite abit though depending on the condition of the game and what might be packed in along with it.

I also trade in my games quite regularly so being able to do so more easily and getting more value for it is another big bonus for me especially with console games.

There is also a certain something that I enjoy when I go to the store, pick up the game, tear off the plastic wrap, and have all the little niceties such as a nicely done instruction manual along with the game cover and some cool artwork painted on the disc itself.

I just really like to have the choice to do either/or.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 UpInFlames

also, you miss out on all store sales when using steam.OneWingedAngeI

Steam is a store and it has sales. There was a big holiday sale this Christmas on all products and I scored S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for 20 bucks. :)

Also, there are a lot of cool games and bundles that are impossible to buy in retail - for example you can buy all games made by Valve, there is also a Rockstar package, Strategy First package...you get a bucketload of games for a nice price.

Another thing to consider is that you live in New York, buying games is hardly an issue for you. Where I live, I don't have many options and the prices aren't that affordable so Steam is awesome for me. Of course, I am of the opinion that digitally distributed games have no business of being the same price as retail boxed ones, so I hope that changes as well.

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _Bear

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]also, you miss out on all store sales when using steam.UpInFlames

Steam is a store and it has sales. There was a big holiday sale this Christmas on all products and I scored S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for 20 bucks. :)

Also, there are a lot of cool games and bundles that are impossible to buy in retail - for example you can buy all games made by Valve, there is also a Rockstar package, Strategy First package...you get a bucketload of games for a nice price.

Another thing to consider is that you live in New York, buying games is hardly an issue for you. Where I live, I don't have many options and the prices aren't that affordable so Steam is awesome for me. Of course, I am of the opinion that digitally distributed games have no business of being the same price as retail boxed ones, so I hope that changes as well.

Good points, but it does not mean games should only be DD, there is a good case for both and thats why I don't expect it to go all DD anytime soon. Nuff said.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 foxhound_fox
Who pays full price retail? The reason I buy retail is I can always and I do mean always get PC games at 39.99 or less and most often 29.99 you can't do that on steam. If bought games from steam I would be paying full retail price all the time , you have to be kidding me.

PS I have to ask with a good bit of sarcasim do you work for Valve? Maybe EA?

_Bear

No... I don't. I wish I did work for Valve.

And I can get games off of Steam for $10-15 less than what I can in retail given the Canadian dollar being even with the US dollar thus making a $40 USD/CAD Steam purchase much more appealing than a $50 CAD + 12% tax retail purchase.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UpInFlames

Good points, but it does not mean games should only be DD, there is a good case for both and thats why I don't expect it to go all DD anytime soon. Nuff said._Bear

I don't expect it nor want it to be only DD. All I'm saying is that Steam is an awesome alternative. Digital distribution is the future, there's no denying it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Digital distribution's cool and all, but why do I have to use it when I buy retail games?

I bought Half-Life 1 Anthology and I was like "Steam? What the hell?"

Sure, I'd love to be able to buy Portal as a retail package. But since I have to put up with Steam, I might as well just download it from there.

So, uh, I guess what I'm saying is they'd better find a good price point to make it worth it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 foxhound_fox
Digital distribution's cool and all, but why do I have to use it when I buy retail games?

I bought Half-Life 1 Anthology and I was like "Steam? What the hell?"

LordAndrew

Steam allows you to load your games onto your account and be able to download them onto any computer that you can login on and not need the disc. And its alos their form of non-invasive copy protection. I'd much rather have Steam than StarForce.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
Oh yeah. I'll tolerate Steam, but I refuse to install Starforce on my computer.