EA is going to go this generation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by quickposter (1708 posts) -

I see an awful lot of people sitting back and laughing up this idea but I don't see why it is that far-fetched. People seem to think EA's collapse (if it was to ever happen) would be gradual but I doubt it. EA will fall hard and fast. I would like to point out THQ as an example. People sit back and say "they were dying for ages" except they weren't. Their collapse happened virtually overnight. It was in 2010 when their budgets began to spiral out of control that they began to feel the burn. That is when all the restructuring happened and the bad news began to show.

That was not a long term failure. THQ were perfectly fine for half of this generation. It didn't stop them going under during the final hurdle. All it really takes is one major car crash and your legs are broken forever. EA might have a lot of money but it doesn't mean it won't be burned overnight. They may have a lot of assets but if you see they have already had serious restructures before PS4 and X1 even came out. They have faced two lawsuits over BF4, Titanfall is obviously going to flop hard. Saying the pre-orders indicate nothing is foolishness. It gives an insight to how much interest there really is in the game. Just because MS and EA are hyping it to the moon doesn't mean it will sell well. Marketing it like this only makes the burn harder when it fails.

So if they post another loss in April that will match last year when Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3 flopped. Dead Space 3 itself is proof. A game can still be insanely popular and flop due to people calling you out on your practices. Popularity doesn't mean EA are immune and that people will ignore calling them on their BS.

#3 Posted by marcheegsr (2465 posts) -

EA will never go away as long as they keep releasing great sports titles.

#4 Posted by Jacanuk (3983 posts) -

EA will never go away as long as they keep releasing great sports titles.

Noooo you are wrong EA is hell and anyone working tehre or released from Ea is the hell minions.

And we all hate EA and EA is baaaaaad and should just go away. ;)

#5 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69869 posts) -

I want EA to change rather than them going bancrupt

#6 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5669 posts) -

I highly doubt EA is going anywhere anytime soon.

#7 Edited by Telekill (4348 posts) -

If Capcom didn't die out this last generation, than EA won't be dying out this generation.

Capcom was my favorite developer for two generations (PS1,PS2) in a row thanks to their tallent dev teams and great ideas for games. During the PS1 days it was Resident Evil, Dino Crisis and Marvel vs Capcom at the top of my gaming lists. During the PS2 days they had Onimusha, Devil May Cry, continued with Resident Evil and had other lesser known titles that were great like Shadow of Rome and Haunting Ground. With last gen, they had Resident Evil 5 that was great, and then everything was pretty much crap afterwords. Heck, lots of RE fans didn't even enjoy RE5 for various reasons. Capcom fell hard and became what I would consider the worst developer of last gen.

From that stand point there is only two ways to go. Continue with their BS releases and policies or start to gain gamer support again by releasing quality software for the first time in 5 years. With rumors of a revamp to the RE series with RE7 and a possible Dino Crisis reboot, this could be Capcom's chance to shine. Only time will tell.

It's Capcom's example that leads me to believe that EA will be around for a long time. They may go out quickly, but it won't be for quite some time.

#8 Edited by Archangel3371 (15280 posts) -

I sure hope not as they make a good deal of games that I enjoy. Also considering the size of them and the number of people that they employ, them going under surely wouldn't be good for the industry.

#9 Edited by coasterguy65 (5845 posts) -

Ha ha...no

#10 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

link

if you look at the annual data, THQ was taking losses for it's last 5 years (possibly more, i didn't bother to look back further). and if you compare THQ's total assets to EA's (or use total revenue or mostly any measurement for size that you want), EA is much larger.

i just don't see EA going bankrupt anytime soon. they're actually on the upswing right now in terms of profitability. even if titanfall doesn't sell (personally, i'll wait a while to call it dead), they have a lot of steady milk cow franchises. and it's been said before, but they could always take cover under a leaner sports games business for a while if an unlikely emergency happens. honestly, i'm not the least bit interested in the vast majority of EA's games, but they seem like a pretty stable company to me (as far as this industry goes, at least).

#15 Edited by Randolph (10434 posts) -

Aside from maybe using the term flop in his thread, this OP is not something that must be in System Wars. If his reasoning behind thinking EA could go under, and go quick is flawed, (it does very obviously take some leaps comparing EA to THQ in any fashion) it's better to actually put forward an argument why and have a discussion about it. As opposed to immediately declaring it a System Wars topic and derailing it into a back and forth about what the thread is or isn't.

Several thoughtful replies have been put forward, so the thread obviously has discussion value. If anyone thinks a thread is not in the right forum, flag it, or use the contact the mods link to PM all mods (on the forums front page, just beneath the listing of forums on the right hand side) and ask them to take a look at it and weigh in. What happened here is not the way to handle that. Any further concerns, use the PM system. Thanks.

#16 Posted by lumzi32 (326 posts) -

I see an awful lot of people sitting back and laughing up this idea but I don't see why it is that far-fetched. People seem to think EA's collapse (if it was to ever happen) would be gradual but I doubt it. EA will fall hard and fast. I would like to point out THQ as an example. People sit back and say "they were dying for ages" except they weren't. Their collapse happened virtually overnight. It was in 2010 when their budgets began to spiral out of control that they began to feel the burn. That is when all the restructuring happened and the bad news began to show.

That was not a long term failure. THQ were perfectly fine for half of this generation. It didn't stop them going under during the final hurdle. All it really takes is one major car crash and your legs are broken forever. EA might have a lot of money but it doesn't mean it won't be burned overnight. They may have a lot of assets but if you see they have already had serious restructures before PS4 and X1 even came out. They have faced two lawsuits over BF4, Titanfall is obviously going to flop hard. Saying the pre-orders indicate nothing is foolishness. It gives an insight to how much interest there really is in the game. Just because MS and EA are hyping it to the moon doesn't mean it will sell well. Marketing it like this only makes the burn harder when it fails.

So if they post another loss in April that will match last year when Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3 flopped. Dead Space 3 itself is proof. A game can still be insanely popular and flop due to people calling you out on your practices. Popularity doesn't mean EA are immune and that people will ignore calling them on their BS.

Eh, from what I understand, Titanfall on XBONE is currently the game with highest number of preorders right now. More than individual platforms releases of Infamous, Watch_Dogs, Dark Souls 2, South Park, Elder Scrolls online and even Destiny (though that is still far away). Saying it will "flop hard" is a bit of reach, I think.

Yes, it is very well behind monsters like GTAV, but it is higher than the numbers of the last Pokemon just before release, and those did quite well.

For a new IP at the start of a console generation, it isn't doing quite badly.

#17 Posted by Netret0120 (2007 posts) -

EA make more than enough money from sports games to survive. FIFA alone is a guaranteed 20 mill+ game

#18 Edited by wiouds (5021 posts) -

I think EA is not going down because they are one of the game company that is trying to make a profit in a environment that the gamers are making more and more hostel to the higher quality game developers.

#19 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69869 posts) -

EA make more than enough money from sports games to survive. FIFA alone is a guaranteed 20 mill+ game

50% of their revenue was from microtransactions

#20 Edited by Jacanuk (3983 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Netret0120 said:

And?

Also according to EA´s finicial statements they made 98mill net income in 2013.

*please don't make fun of others users -R

#21 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

EA owns a lot of big-name, hugely successful franchises. I seriously doubt they'd be going bankrupt anywhere in the foreseeable future. It'd take one hell of a catastrophic failure to topple them.

#22 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69869 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Netret0120 said:

And?

Also according to EA´s finicial statements they made 98mill net income in 2013.

*please don't make fun of others users -R

I am just saying, they gain most of their revenue from microtransactions, not game sales

#23 Posted by Mesomorphin (809 posts) -

EA's released Plants vs zombies garden warfare, Dante's inferno, mass effect, Dead space and soon...Titanfall. Hell I love their games man!

#24 Edited by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

LMAO. EA could stay afloat on Madden and FIFA alone. Those are two of the top selling video games every single year since practically forever. You may want gaming to be all fairies and dragons, but the majority of games sold are FIFA, Madden, Call of Duty and Battlefield... Three of those are EA..

#25 Posted by nicecall (428 posts) -

If EA going out of business would mean their games would be up for grabs from other companies, this would be fine by me. They hold on to a lot of game series that they will never use properly or will fail badly if they do.

Ultima series

Syndicate, Populous, Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper or any Bullfrog made game.

Simcity/Simfarm

Privateer/Wing Commander

Command and Conquer/Red Alert