EA ends Medal of Honor franchise

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18322 posts) -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388780/medal-of-honor-taken-out-of-rotation-due-to-poor-performance/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Since Warfighter sold poorly, EA has decided to completely pull the plug on the MoH franchise. "The game was solid, but the focus on combat authenticity did not resonate with consumers" they said.

I think the real reason behind the poor sales was that god-awful, embarassing open beta they released a few weeks before the game release. I don't know why EA has this habit of releasing multiplayer betas that completely suck (see BF3 beta, which was a mess, unlike the final game, or the Crysis 3 beta, which lags so bad it's unplayable), with the only result of losing preorders on the game.

Anyway, I guess this means they'll push out a multiplayer military shooter every two year instead of every year, which is not entirely bad considering how saturated the market is with them.

#2 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

Yay.

#3 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Anyway, I guess this means they'll push out a multiplayer military shooter every two year instead of every year, which is not entirely bad considering how saturated the market is with them.

Black_Knight_00

Nope. I read on gaf that they are still going to have another shooter franchise in rotation. The question is which brand. I am guessing they will bring back Battlefield Bad Company next year. 

#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18322 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

S0lidSnake

Nope. I read on gaf that they are still going to have another shooter franchise in rotation. The question is which brand. I am guessing they will bring back Battlefield Bad Company next year. 

That wouldn't be half as bad, provided they bring back the funny banter and shenanigans of the first game.
#5 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

S0lidSnake

I'm actually betting on a completely new IP to fill the gap left by Medal of Honor. Most likely, whatever game Respawn is working on right now (rumors say it's a sci-fi shooter).

#6 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4118 posts) -

I would have much rather them move MoH back to WW2. We now have a big absence of WW2 shooters and a realistic WW2 shooter on modern hardware could be epic if done right. Their biggest mistake was making MoH into a modern combat shooter when the field is really oversaturated.

#7 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1148 posts) -
That is a shame, series use to mean something.
#8 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
It's always sad to see a franchise that was respectable back in the day come to an end, but in this case, it was probably for the better. Reviews of Medal of Honor: Warfighter made it sound like a retread of every modern military shooter cliche without offering any noteworthy contributions whatsoever. At least Call of Duty is trying to convey the illusion of evolving now. Hopefully, stuff like this and the critical (if not commercial) success of Spec Ops: The Line will mark the beginning of a change in the modern military shooter sub-genre

S0lidSnake

No surprise there. EA would never turn down the chance to have at least one AAA-budget shooter per year.
#9 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

They've got Fuse on deck for this year. Think that could turn into another shooter franchise for EA?

#10 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18322 posts) -

They've got Fuse on deck for this year. Think that could turn into another shooter franchise for EA?

c_rake
What's Fuse? A gamespot-themed shooter where the enemies are system wars people?
#11 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

What's Fuse? A gamespot-themed shooter where the enemies are system wars people?Black_Knight_00

I wish!

It's a third-person shooter from Insomiac. Used to go by "Overstrike." Cooperative-play looks to play a big role.

#12 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18322 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]What's Fuse? A gamespot-themed shooter where the enemies are system wars people?c_rake

I wish!

It's a third-person shooter from Insomiac. Used to go by "Overstrike." Cooperative-play looks to play a big role.

Oh, that one. No wonder I forgot about it. It has formulaic stamped all over it.
#13 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
Hopefully they just focus on Battlefield, even if it is a rotation of Bad Company and the mainline series. Bad Company 2 was better than Battlefield 3 anyway, so I hope that we get a sequel.
#14 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
I remember playing Frontline back on the gamecube with it's normandy opening levels and how awesome the game was overall. ........can't say the series has ever been as good as that game and has been in steady decline. Don't care too much that it's gone since that type of game is a dime a dozen but it is a little sad considering how good the series used to be.
#15 Posted by Sharpie125 (3904 posts) -

Shame that it'll end its legacy in the disappointing modern warfare era. The best missions were always the OSS infiltration/undercover missions in Allied Assault and Frontline, and I would have loved to see some sort of stealth action game with the old characters.

RIP, I guess.

#16 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
I enjoyed the first reboot quite a bit and Warfighter is pretty solid too. I felt that reviewers were overly harsh on the game and were just looking for a scapegoat in which to trash the "modern military shooter." Hopefully Danger Close (EA Los Angeles) sticks around, they've made some pretty good games over the years.
#17 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Good riddance. I remember when MoH was a big deal, the 'Saving Private Ryan' of videogames, but eventually the heart of the development team left and started CoD, which rose to prominence this gen, and then MoH (as have many shooters this gen) transformed into a CoD wannabe.

As I've noted before, first person shooters are extremely popular, but in part due to the long legs of individual games (due to multiplayer) and the sheer number of games out there, the genre is hypercompetitive (its amazing that Rockstar's attempt to jump into the genre with Max Payne 3 was a commercial disappointment).

#18 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Good riddance. I remember when MoH was a big deal, the 'Saving Private Ryan' of videogames, but eventually the heart of the development team left and started CoD, which rose to prominence this gen, and then MoH (as have many shooters this gen) transformed into a CoD wannabe.

As I've noted before, first person shooters are extremely popular, but in part due to the long legs of individual games (due to multiplayer) and the sheer number of games out there, the genre is hypercompetitive (its amazing that Rockstar's attempt to jump into the genre with Max Payne 3 was a commercial disappointment).

CarnageHeart

Dont tell now is when you get up for work. It's 2 in the morning man! 

Ok. off to bed.

#19 Posted by Kevlar101 (6081 posts) -
I won't miss it.
#20 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]What's Fuse? A gamespot-themed shooter where the enemies are system wars people?Black_Knight_00

I wish!

Oh, that one. No wonder I forgot about it. It has formulaic stamped all over it.

What they initially showed was a cartoony 4 player shooter with crazy weapons, but then they realized that Borderlands was already occupying that niche, so then they decided to take it in a different direction. So now its just a generic looking shooter whose only notable hook is 4 player multiplayer. Call me crazy, but I think it would have made more sense to take on Borderlands rather than take on pretty much every other shooter out there.

#21 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

What they initially showed was a cartoony 4 player shooter with crazy weapons, but then they realized that Borderlands was already occupying that niche, so then they decided to take it in a different direction. So now its just a generic looking shooter whose only notable hook is 4 player multiplayer. Call me crazy, but I think it would have made more sense to take on Borderlands rather than take on pretty much every other shooter out there.CarnageHeart

Totally. The old game at least had character. Now it looks like just another lifeless, generic shooter.

#22 Posted by Strakha (1781 posts) -

I enjoyed the Medal of Honor games on the PS1 the most because they were more spy focused and about taking down secret German weapons programs. Allied Assault and Frontline marked a change in direction to more of a more traditional solider in a war type theme, the call of duty series expanded on this further and did it better. I would have liked them to go back to or even expand on the spy themes of the earlier games.

#23 Posted by MathMattS (4002 posts) -

Well that sucks. The revived series had alot of potential.

#24 Posted by sukraj (22278 posts) -

this is good news.

#25 Posted by MasterBrief (54 posts) -

I think that it failed because they just lost that spark the series had and also it has trouble surviving in this era. I haven't played the Warfighter but it looks like it plays smoother than the reboot. I have the reboot and it isn't bad but there are things about it that aren't good. Also played the beta for the reboot and it wasn't bad but not great the BF3 beta however sucked ass as did the game for the most part huge waste of money and time. They need to just stick with the formula of Bad Company. I will miss the MOH franchise they had some damn good games but that time has passed.

#26 Posted by Metamania (11972 posts) -

I enjoyed the first reboot quite a bit and Warfighter is pretty solid too. I felt that reviewers were overly harsh on the game and were just looking for a scapegoat in which to trash the "modern military shooter." Hopefully Danger Close (EA Los Angeles) sticks around, they've made some pretty good games over the years.AcidSoldner

I played through the first Medal Of Honor reboot on 360, felt like I was going through the motions, but eventually beat it (on the easiest difficulty - I cared less for trying on other settings) and went back to several stages to get level-based achievements. I may be doing the same thing for Warfighter soon.

#27 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

They've probably got some "new" online shooters for next gen that are aimed more precisely at the core Call of Duty demographic, so these online FPS's with an infinitesimal amount of uniqueness will be dumped.

#28 Posted by BlackDevil99 (2329 posts) -

meh, won't be sad to see Medal Of Honor go, never liked that. EA's already got Battlefield, do they really need multiple Military FPS's (It's EA, of course they do). I'm sure they'll still find a way to push out at least one a year though

#29 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

Rest in Pieces, Medal of Honor

#30 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]I enjoyed the first reboot quite a bit and Warfighter is pretty solid too. I felt that reviewers were overly harsh on the game and were just looking for a scapegoat in which to trash the "modern military shooter." Hopefully Danger Close (EA Los Angeles) sticks around, they've made some pretty good games over the years.Metamania

I played through the first Medal Of Honor reboot on 360, felt like I was going through the motions, but eventually beat it (on the easiest difficulty - I cared less for trying on other settings) and went back to several stages to get level-based achievements. I may be doing the same thing for Warfighter soon.

The only achievement I have left for MoH 2010 is the one for completing Tier 1 Mode (100G) but I haven't been able to beat the 3rd (I think) and the last mission. It's always due to some stupid error on my part :P
#31 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

As I've noted before, first person shooters are extremely popular, but in part due to the long legs of individual games (due to multiplayer) and the sheer number of games out there, the genre is hypercompetitive (its amazing that Rockstar's attempt to jump into the genre with Max Payne 3 was a commercial disappointment).CarnageHeart

Hm, but Max Payne 3 is not a FPS. Besides, Max Payne was never really big.

As for Medal of Honor, I have no idea why they brought it back in the first place. Underground, Frontline and Allied Assault were great games, but for heaven's sake, this industry really needs to learn how to stop beating a dead horse. Enough with the f***ing "reboots" already. Move on.

#32 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

The rebooted series was never going to challenge the like of Battlefield or Killzone, and the latest entry (Warfighter) was very disappointing.

#33 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]As I've noted before, first person shooters are extremely popular, but in part due to the long legs of individual games (due to multiplayer) and the sheer number of games out there, the genre is hypercompetitive (its amazing that Rockstar's attempt to jump into the genre with Max Payne 3 was a commercial disappointment).UpInFlames

Hm, but Max Payne 3 is not a FPS. Besides, Max Payne was never really big.

As for Medal of Honor, I have no idea why they brought it back in the first place. Underground, Frontline and Allied Assault were great games, but for heaven's sake, this industry really needs to learn how to stop beating a dead horse. Enough with the f***ing "reboots" already. Move on.

Right, I should have/meant to say shooters in general.

#34 Posted by Metamania (11972 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]I enjoyed the first reboot quite a bit and Warfighter is pretty solid too. I felt that reviewers were overly harsh on the game and were just looking for a scapegoat in which to trash the "modern military shooter." Hopefully Danger Close (EA Los Angeles) sticks around, they've made some pretty good games over the years.AcidSoldner

The only achievement I have left for MoH 2010 is the one for completing Tier 1 Mode (100G) but I haven't been able to beat the 3rd (I think) and the last mission. It's always due to some stupid error on my part :P

Now you know how I feel when I tried getting the Hunter Perfect achievement in Conviction. Always my fault somehow. :P

#35 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18367 posts) -

I would have much rather them move MoH back to WW2. We now have a big absence of WW2 shooters and a realistic WW2 shooter on modern hardware could be epic if done right. Their biggest mistake was making MoH into a modern combat shooter when the field is really oversaturated.

Toxic-Seahorse
Same here.. I wish for a fully open world ww2 game where you can roam the battlefield, take a squad on a mission behind enemy lines to take care of enemy artillery, or hop in a tank to help storm the front lines... Use the Frostbite 2.0 engine for some destructibility and youd have a huge hit.
#36 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18322 posts) -

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Now you know how I feel when I tried getting the Hunter Perfect achievement in Conviction. Always my fault somehow. :P

I was sure I helped you get that one
#37 Posted by Metamania (11972 posts) -

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]What's Fuse? A gamespot-themed shooter where the enemies are system wars people?Black_Knight_00

I wish!

I remember reading about Fuse in a recent Game Informer magazine, a co-op third-person shooter of sorts. To be honest, it looks interesting, but with the way Defiance is turning out more and more, I think I'll have to pass on Fuse and rent it instead.

#38 Posted by Metamania (11972 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]The only achievement I have left for MoH 2010 is the one for completing Tier 1 Mode (100G) but I haven't been able to beat the 3rd (I think) and the last mission. It's always due to some stupid error on my part :PBlack_Knight_00

I remember, you did help me get it. Thank you for that. :)

#39 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18322 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

I remember, you did help me get it. Thank you for that. :)

lol we used that cheap trick, if I remember correctly
#40 Posted by taiwwa (251 posts) -

Initially I was impressed with Warfighter, but I think the reviewers seriously got it right on this one.

Like, if you compare it directly to COD, Warfighter is more realistic, which is an accomplishment...

until you play even more realistic shooters. ARMA (which I haven't played) or operation flashpoint (which I have played).

So the Warfighter is halfway between arcade COD and the realistic simulations. That's not a good place to be. 

#41 Posted by SoNin360 (5390 posts) -
Only played the 2010 version and the one that came with it... Frontlines? Anyway, not that great, either of them. So I won't really be missing them. Bringing Bad Company back would be a good idea I think.
#42 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Title seems a tad misleading.

#43 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -
they aren't going to stop doing this, it's very misleading. I have not played any of the games, but they aren't stopping them. Just rebooting the franchise. Trying to figure out what they are doing wrong and get perspective
#44 Posted by CreatureRising (1530 posts) -

Well that sucks. The revived series had alot of potential.

MathMattS

Potential that just wasn't showing sadly. 

#45 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18322 posts) -

Title seems a tad misleading.

Ilovegames1992
It's not. The article says: "the game's poor performance means that the publisher will not continue with the series"
#46 Posted by taiwwa (251 posts) -

So let's talk about directions that it could have gone.

Like, it probably was a bad idea to focus on special forces uber-menshes. I think an interesting COD would have been like you're a Marine commander in 2004 Iraq just as the Sadr insurgency is going under way. You have to survive, while also trying to work with Iraqi factions to stop the unrest.

#47 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

I read its taking a break.

#48 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18322 posts) -

I read its taking a break.

Ilovegames1992
A long break, yeah
#49 Posted by lensflare15 (6174 posts) -

The older games are some of my favorite shooters ever. Didn't like the reboots at all, so I'm glad they're done with it.

#50 Posted by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

I'm not surprised, there never really seemed to be any room left for it in the already-crowded genre of modern military shooters. I wonder if they're going to close or downscale Danger Close now.