Driveclub versus Project Cars?

#1 Edited by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

Obviously a lot of people are probably tired of hearing about Driveclub including myself. The only reason I bought a PS4 at launch was because of Driveclub. We have seen Assetto Corsa which I have to say looks very nice. But now we have the soon to be released Project Cars which I have to say is the best racer I have seen thus far. With that being said do you think they delayed Driveclub so that they could build it to compete with Project Cars? Do you think Driveclub has what it takes to run with Project Cars?

#2 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

Isn't Project Cars a sim racer? Driveclub isn't a sim racer.

#3 Posted by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

Driveclub is more of an arcade game while Project Cars is more like a sim,somewhat like GT or Forza,Assetto Corsa being the full sim of those you mentioned.

As it is it seems that the best one gameplay wise is Assetto Corsa,at least so far,way better physics that´s for sure.

#4 Edited by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Looks are one thing in a game, physics and the overall handling is another. As long as they play as good as they look, I'll be picking up both.

#5 Edited by maynardburger (187 posts) -

Like people have said, they might both be racers, but they are on very different ends of the gameplay spectrum.

So it will depend on what you want. Personally, I have very little interest in non-sim racers. I'm a huge motorsports fan and a driving enthusiast and I prefer my racing games on the sim side of things. I find having to drive properly a buttload of fun and anytime a game lets me go double the speed through a corner I should be able to and have little need to use the brakes, it really kills the fun for me.

But DriveClub definitely *looks* amazing. I was highly impressed by the visuals when I played it last October. It reminded me a lot of PGR as well, both in the way it felt, and also that it was 30fps and quite beautiful. It straddles that middle line of 'not super arcade, but definitely not sim either'.

#6 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@maynardburger: I really miss Project Gotham. This is a hole that needed to be filled. If they ever release the damned game, anyway. It may get delayed another six months so they can finish adding detail to the cup holder on the interior view that I am never going to use.

#7 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@Randolph: Lol! I know one is a sim and the other an arcade. Hopefully Driveclub will look as good as Project Cars. Well arcade yes but I don't want Driveclub to handle like Need for Speed though. I didn't play Assetto Corsa as I couldn't find any physical copies. I actually love the way Forza 5 handled so if only they could polish Driveclub to handle a little better than Forza 5 but have the look of Project Cars. Maybe Driveclub will be a little of both. Driveclub does look amazing though.

#8 Edited by maynardburger (187 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@maynardburger: I really miss Project Gotham. This is a hole that needed to be filled. If they ever release the damned game, anyway. It may get delayed another six months so they can finish adding detail to the cup holder on the interior view that I am never going to use.

Haha. No way this gets another delay, though. Oct 8th should be sufficiently far away that there'd be no excuse for needing more time.

And yea, I do feel that gap is ripe for plugging. Fans of PGR will probably find this to be a nice sort of unofficial spiritual successor.

#9 Edited by marcheegsr (2997 posts) -

Im buying both, but im more excited for drive club.

Both games seem different. I think its better to compare Project cars to gran turismo 6 or forza 5.

#10 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

So Drive Club is locked in at 1080p 30fps and now has 6 vs 6 instead of 12 vs 12. I m really surprised by this.

#11 Edited by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@Areez: I must say I'm really disappointed in the performance of the PS4. I guess 30 fps is ok but only being able to run 6 vs 6 is ridiculous. That's the only thing that's going to make Project Cars better. It will be a fun game to play but I really thought with this huge delay that they would have been able to squeeze a little more out of the PS4.

#12 Posted by maynardburger (187 posts) -

The 6 vs 6 thing could totally be a gameplay decision, not a hardware one. From what I've seen, the tracks are mostly narrowish, picturesque roads, not these wide, race-ready stretches of asphalt like on race tracks. Could just be that too many cars mean too much mayhem. I don't expect the races are going to be super long, so those starting from the back on a narrow track with only 5-7 minutes to get to the front causes a lot of 'I've gotta barge my way through' sort of thinking.

#13 Edited by DuaIFace (541 posts) -

DriveClub is to BurnOut what ProjectCARS is to GranTurismo. Both 10Xs better in their own respects.

DriveClub also looks like 1st round console shovelware c-r-a-p, compared to ProjectCARS that actually has some legs. I'd be surprised if DC actually sells more than 1.5 copies.

#14 Posted by maynardburger (187 posts) -

DriveClub will sell a lot simply by virtue of the Sony hype train still being quite big right now, with players itching for those pretty exclusives.

Infamous did quite well and I feel if it were released two years from now where multiplatform games finally ditched last-gen and looked just as good or better, Infamous would be the same drop-in-the-bucket sort of game the first two were. Not bad, but nothing most people would get super excited about.

Totally agree that Project Cars will be the game with legs, though. Its 60fps and it'll be supported by Morpheus, which I think is going to blow a lot of people's minds. Sims also tend to have better longevity than arcade racers as they're less 'pick up and play'(and then forget quickly once the next big game comes out) games and something that people tend to invest time into.

#15 Edited by The_Last_Ride (74277 posts) -

@RimacBugatti said:

Obviously a lot of people are probably tired of hearing about Driveclub including myself. The only reason I bought a PS4 at launch was because of Driveclub. We have seen Assetto Corsa which I have to say looks very nice. But now we have the soon to be released Project Cars which I have to say is the best racer I have seen thus far. With that being said do you think they delayed Driveclub so that they could build it to compete with Project Cars? Do you think Driveclub has what it takes to run with Project Cars?

i am going to get both, why settle for one when you can have both?

#16 Edited by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@DuaIFace: From what I've seen Driveclub looks pretty good but I'm disappointed with the framerate. But most of all I really fell in love with the way Forza 5 handled. I never played Assetto Corsa so I'm not sure how that game handled but if Driveclub could handle like Forza 5 than I would be happy. To me Forza 5 handled like an arcade racer a little which I liked. I don't like the way Need for Speed handled though. I still felt like Forza 5 was an arcade but I know some feel like it is a sim. A little both I think. But if Driveclub handles like need for Speed than I will have to pass. The sound in Project cars will be hard to beat though. I have never heard a game with sound like that! :)

#17 Posted by groowagon (3025 posts) -

Project CARS, cos i play on PC lol. Driveclub looks cool too.

#19 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@groowagon: I would rather play the PC version too. Is it true that project Cars is coming out for PS4?

#20 Posted by rockinpapa (45 posts) -

@Randolph: What's the difference between racing sim and usual racing game, beacause every racing game nowdays calls itself a racing sim. And btw I heard that Driveclub is being a racing sim too apparently .

#21 Edited by rockinpapa (45 posts) -

I personally prefer Driveclub because it seems like more of an street racing game while Project Cars is in-track racing game.

#22 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74277 posts) -

@rockinpapa said:

@Randolph: What's the difference between racing sim and usual racing game, beacause every racing game nowdays calls itself a racing sim. And btw I heard that Driveclub is being a racing sim too apparently .

I think it's going to go the line of Grid 2 and add more sim, while games like Forza and Gran Turismo are racing sims

#23 Edited by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@rockinpapa: I feel the same because from what I can see Driveclub will have way better environments and to me that's one of the most important things. It's nice to have a good looking car but I want something to look at when I'm cruising. Actually Driveclub may have the best looking environments in all racing games so far. Need for Speed had some good looking environments but Driveclub is an all around better looking game.

#24 Posted by maynardburger (187 posts) -

@rockinpapa said:

I promise you its not a sim.

#25 Edited by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@maynardburger: Ofcourse some people think Forza 5 is a sim but personally I think it handles a little like an arcade. I Driveclub handles as good as Forza 5 than it will be awesome because it already has the looks.

#26 Edited by maynardburger (187 posts) -

@RimacBugatti said:

@maynardburger: Ofcourse some people think Forza 5 is a sim but personally I think it handles a little like an arcade. I Driveclub handles as good as Forza 5 than it will be awesome because it already has the looks.

Forza and GT are both sim-likes or sim-lites or sim-style games or whatever you want to call em. But they are still 'sim' games. They are meant to be on the realistic side of things.

DriveClub is not. I've played it. Its in the vein of PGR. Not super arcade, but certainly nowhere near a sim either. Forza is quite a bit more realistic. If you go into it expecting that, you'll be disappointed.

Project Cars is more in the vein of Forza than Driveclub is.

#27 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@maynardburger: I definitely liked Forza over GT. I really don't want another Need for Speed. Would you say the handling is like Need for Speed because that would just destroy all my hopes. I was very disappointed with Need for Speed. The handling was to arcade like for me. I know it's an arcade but I need some realistic handling. GT to me I didn't like because the cars didn't stick to the road like the cars in Forza. To me Forza was a great blend of both.

#28 Posted by maynardburger (187 posts) -

I think the 'grip' isn't much difference between Forza and GT. I think the main difference is that Forza plays much better with a controller than GT does, enabling you to have better control(and for it to feel better in general).

I couldn't tell you much about comparisons to Need for Speed as I haven't played one in a long time and don't know how much they've changed. If I were to guess, I'd think that DriveClub would be kind of in the middle between a game like Need for Speed and a game like Forza.

#29 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@maynardburger: To me Forza is the ideal racing game. I haven't touched Assetto Corsa so I can't compare that game. Forza had a great blend of visuals and handling and the sound was pretty good but obviously not like Project Cars. But out of all of the racing games so far it looks as though Driveclub may have the best environments. The new Need for Speedn environments were pretty good but Driveclub is looking better for sure.