Dreamcast was most reliable console!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

As far back as I can think the Dreamcast had no overheating problems or anything? If you had problems with your launch console please let me know?

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

The only consoles to have that problem have been the PS3 and 360.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RimacBugatti

Oh I thought from what people said that the PS2 and original Xbox had issues. Not sure about the Gamecube though.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 barrybarryk

They didn't, the only consoles to have that problem are the PS3 and Xbox 360. Though all consoles with optical drives eventually need the laser replacing, and sometimes the motors, so if you're going to go for "most reliable" you'll have to go further back to cartridge based systems with no moving parts

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@barrybarryk: I'm pretty sure N64 ram expansion paks would sometimes overheat. I know mine recently starting overheating causing the N64 to crash every 2 hours or so. I replaced the pak and it's fine now though.

Anything with moving parts will need replacing like you said though. Most old consoles I've had that have broken were due to mistreatment (dropped my genesis on my driveway :( ).

A lot of times if a console fails it can be repaired, for example the DS lite hinge that typically breaks is easily repaired.

Now the gamboy pocket, that is a tank. Here's a pic I took a month ago, I don't even remember how old this thing is http://i.imgur.com/BCxnEzo.jpg

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Whats the point of this thread? There are a ton of consoles that didn't have any inherent problems at all. Really out of all the dozens of systems there are what, 2 or maybe 3 that had common issues?

Oh and youre wrong. The dreamcast had a well known and common problem where it would reset/restart randomly on users. You make it sound like the dream was the only system to ever be problem free and that every other one is a mangled mess of hardware.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RimacBugatti

Well I didn't own a PS2 or original Xbox although I do recall that PS2 slim ran extremely hot. The only thing I didn't like about the Dreamcast was that it was way too loud. I'm really ticked off about that wobble but I hope my PS4 doesn't have that problem.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

consoles back then werent as complex as they are now either

Insert-Coin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Insert-Coin
Member since 2013 • 52 Posts

The laser in the Dreamcast wouldn't read properly and you needed to open it up and turn a little screw.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RimacBugatti

Yeah I remember opening it up and it was overall a simple set up. Oh yeah I do remember hearing something about the laser.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

It's hard to overheat when you're not being used :P

GAJY_FILTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By GAJY_FILTH
Member since 2003 • 112 Posts

Dreamcast has the same problem all optical devices have and that's the laser going.

The most reliable consoles are cartridge based, my Megadrive and Master System are still going.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RimacBugatti

Yeah that's true but you have to admit that memory card and controller for Dreamcast was pretty ahead of its time.

Armoured_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Armoured_Mage
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

the dreamcast has had problems with the power supply board, the laser and the controller ports being loose/unresponsive.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By barrybarryk

The VMU wasn't really ahead of its time, it was just ridiculous and almost entirely useless. I really don't get the fondness for it apart from some rose tinted nostalgia goggles for a kooky piece of kit. Original, sure but still a ridiculous design for a memory card that saw pretty much no meaningful integration with any games

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@Insert-Coin said:

The laser in the Dreamcast wouldn't read properly and you needed to open it up and turn a little screw.

Maybe that was the problem with my roommate's Dreamcast in college. It would randomly stop reading the disc. I figured out that turning it upside-down lowered the chances of that, but it still happened. All I wanted to do was get through Grandia 2.... I went through so much trouble to do that, but that game was totally worth the hassle.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RimacBugatti

True that! Well the visual memory unit has basically spawned into what the Wii U and the PSVita have become. Which as we know the PSVita is basically a secondary screen when used in conjunction with the PS4. So the Dreamcast VMU was an idea that evolved into what we see today. So it was a brilliant idea but hadn't been perfected. Grandia 2 no doubt but Iwonder what would have happened if they would have given us a way to set the Dreamcast vertically. It would have probably lasted much longer?