Dreamcast RPG's

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Emurozii
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts

First thing: RPG's are by far my favourite genre when it comes to video games. I know the Dreamcast is very lack luster when it comes to them, but it's still got a few good'ens. I've got some already, and played nearly all of them...Here's my opinions so far...Don't worry there's no spoilers:

I played Dragon Riders: Chronicles of Pern, or whatever it's called, for about two hours till I turnt it off. I really couldn't get into this flawed game.

I've still got PSO after all the years, but with the servers being closed down and all now, there's not much appeal. It's a world designed for like 200+ players; it feels very uncomfortable and really lonely just walking around it all by yourself. I'll think about getting the Gamecube version for offline coop. I'll get around to connecting to the DC private server sometime in the future (schtack's server or something?). The only thing that's stopping me from connecting already is that without the expensive BBA, the method of connecting seems really complicated. I had about 1050 hours on the official servers back in the day! It was my first online game :)

I started Grandia 2 last week and finished it today - took about 30 hours - not too long, but not too short either. I remember the hype for this before it's release aha. It's a decent RPG that has a lot of charm to it. The battle system is fantastic - definately the best thing about the game. It's very similar to Star Ocean battle system. Most RPG fans seem to only play them now a days for story whilst ignoring wether or not the game is actually fun to play, which this is. The story in this is very original, but at the same time it's also very predictable. Some of the characters are cliche: Elena - a very pure girl, who's also religious and hasn't seen the world outside of her eyes - very cliche; their character development is predictable; some of them are annoying. There's still a few kick ass characters, though (Millenia is awesome xD). Despite all of the negative aspects, they're still memorable, mainly due to how they treat and act with one another. The game is far too easy! Only two of my characters died throughout the entire thing...Not once did my entire party die. Millenia also gets this SP move later on which is extremely broken. You can just keep using it over and over to keep enemies trapped and unable to attack. I beat most of the bosses without getting it once due to it, including the final boss. The 'hub' of the game is at a birds eye view and walking around. It's not random enemy encounters but it's just like FF13. There's some puzzles while you're walking around, but there's no logic to them. It's just pull a switch, then pull this switch, then you've done the puzzle. There's not much replay value, you'd only wanna play this again for the amazing battle system. You can't go back to any old areas. Once you advance the game and leave that area, that's it, you can never go back there. One thing that really bugged me is the use of voice acting. It's only used about 20% of the time. Why not all the time? Despite all of this, the game has a lot of memorable moments and the monster/dungeon design is done very well. The music is decent and you'll be humming some of the tunes while you play, but it's nothing special and most of it is constantly repeated throughout the entire game. Overall it's a decent RPG with both a lot of positive and negative aspects, with the positives being the more powerful of the two by very slightly. I don't ever see myself playing through this again, because it feels like it's just so 'alright' or just so 'barely decent' that I might aswell just be playing something awesome, well that's how I felt. If I ever did play this again then it'd be for the battle system and the charm of it. 7/10.

I've got Evoloution 1, but I've never played it, nor seen any gameplay on it. Is it any good? Most people seem to have a mixed opinion on it.

Elemental Gimmick Gear is suppose to be a decent Zelda rip off, I'm looking out for this.

Time Stalkers is suppose to be one the worst RPG's ever made. Anyone played this? I doubt it lol.

I was told Record of Lodoss war is a good game, but I know nothing about it.

Last, but certainly not least, is Skies of Arcadia. This is what you immediately think of when it comes to Dreamcast RPG's. I've got it and plan to play it later...I've never played it before. It looks, and from what I've heard, absoloutley amazing. I can't wait to play this tbh. Sega made a decent attempt of keeping the Dreamcast alive with their new first party franchises, and this is evidence as of why. I was gonna play this years ago on the Gamecube, but it was too scratched and none of my local stores are willing to clean Gamecube discs. The only complaint that I've heard from this game is the random enounter rate is extremely high with a battle occuring every 3 seconds. Is this true?

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
I am currently playing record of the lodoss war. I am enjoying myself, but it's really not that great of a game. Diablo style gameplay, with different RPG elements. When you level for instance you only gain hp and magic (i believe).
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

The only complaint that I've heard from this game is the random enounter rate is extremely high with a battle occuring every 3 seconds. Is this true?

Emurozii

Well sort of... It'll piss you off at some point or the other. But the game is fantastic! If high random encounters are a problem, you can get Skies of Arcadia Legends for the Gamecube (if you have one).

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

There is this nice little Dreamcast RPG that is forgotten called Silver. Its a nice good little game and very inexpensive. I find it to be pretty good for the most part, and I played through it twice.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Yeah, I was going to bring up Silver too

Silver is one of those games which you play which frustrates because there are a few minor niggling flaws that are holding the game back, you know how some games get mediocre scores simply because their mediocre, whilst others have loads of good elements, and potential, but are held back through a few poor decisions, and some lack of polish? Silver is one of those games unfortunately, there are some really nice things about the game if you can ignore the rough edges though.

Anyway -

Silver

+ Great dialogue which is often funny

+ Really high quality music

+ Good entertaining length

+ Atmosphere

- Inconsistent artwork (bad character portraits)

- Cliched storyline

- iffy controls

- Dodgy computer AI for NPCs

- No co-op?!? honestly, this game would've been perfect for co-op, you actually have a NPC character fighting with you 90% of the time anyway FFS, co-op would've been simple to implement and would've improved the game immensely.

But yeah, it may sound like I'm being a downer on the game, but I do actually like it a lot.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

There is this nice little Dreamcast RPG that is forgotten called Silver. Its a nice good little game and very inexpensive. I find it to be pretty good for the most part, and I played through it twice.

TheTrueMagusX1
I was going to mention Silver as well, not a bad game.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Eternal Arcadia and Napple Tale were the best of the small bunch.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silent_bomber

Also, I think the Shenmue games can be mentioned, I know many would argue that they are Adventure games (or some even say "sim"), and not RPGs, but I feel they are pretty borderline, and hover into RPG areas often, I'd definitely say they give a similar gameplaying experience to RPGs in a lot of ways.

As far as the "Dreamcast is lacklustre for RPGs" talk, I don't know, to be honest I think it did surprisingly well taking into account that it was only available in the west for like one and a half years, JRPG's in those days would often take a year odd to arrive from Japan anyway.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Elemental Gimmick Gear is suppose to be a decent Zelda rip off, I'm looking out for this.

Time Stalkers is suppose to be one the worst RPG's ever made. Anyone played this? I doubt it lol.

I was told Record of Lodoss war is a good game, but I know nothing about it.

Emurozii

I own all three of them.

Time Stalkers is quite cheesy and hard to swallow at times. I never even finished it, truth be told.

The Record of Lodoss war is very fun. It has these awesome cutscenes that are inspired by scenes from the anime. The gameplay is a lot like Diablo. Hack, slash, shoot magic missiles, level-up, get a lot loot. That sort of thing. A lot more locations than Diablo, though, and obviously better graphics on the Dreamcast. But don't expect it to be very innovative.

Elemental Gimmick Gear I haven't gotten very into. I just played it for like a half hour to test it and to check it out and haven't had a chance to really get back to to it since. But from the little I played of it, it was a mixture of Zelda and traditional JRPG. Not exactly a Zelda-clone.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Panzer_Zwei

Also, I think the Shenmue games can be mentioned, I know many would argue that they are Adventure games (or some even say "sim"), and not RPGs, but I feel they are pretty borderline, and hover into RPG areas often, I'd definitely say they give a similar gameplaying experience to RPGs in a lot of ways.

As far as the "Dreamcast is lacklustre for RPGs" talk, I don't know, to be honest I think it did surprisingly well taking into account that it was only available in the west for like one and a half years, JRPG's in those days would often take a year odd to arrive from Japan anyway.

Domino_slayer

Eternal Arcadia took only a month, and Grandia II only about 4.

There weren't that many RPGs released in Japan neither, to begin with, and the system lasted for over 3 years there. Just one year less than the Saturn, and didn't got even half the RPGs the Saturn got.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silent_bomber

Eternal Arcadia took only a month, and Grandia II only about 4.Panzer_Zwei

Sega were always ahead of the competition with their localisations though, most RPGs tended to take at least 6 months

There weren't that many RPGs released in Japan neither, to begin with, and the system lasted for over 3 years there. Just one year less than the Saturn, and didn't got even half the RPGs the Saturn got.Panzer_zwei

According to the information I've run into on the net, the Saturn was discontinued in Japan in 2000, so it lasted 6 years in that market, whilst the Dreamcast I think lasted more like 2 and a half years (I believe it was very early in 2001 that it was discontinued.)

So Saturn's lifespan was over double that of the Dreamcast.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]Eternal Arcadia took only a month, and Grandia II only about 4.Domino_slayer

Sega were always ahead of the competition with their localisations though, most RPGs tended to take at least 6 months

There weren't that many RPGs released in Japan neither, to begin with, and the system lasted for over 3 years there. Just one year less than the Saturn, and didn't got even half the RPGs the Saturn got.Panzer_zwei

According to the information I've run into on the net, the Saturn was discontinued in Japan in 2000, so it lasted 6 years in that market, whilst the Dreamcast I think lasted more like 2 and a half years (I believe it was very early in 2001 that it was discontinued.)

The Saturn was discontinued in 1998. There were no games done by SEGA past 1998,period, and no official first party support/promotion/publishing for any SS game. Very few developers continued to release SS games past 1998. The ony game released in 2000 was Final Fight Revenge by Capcom, and it was a port of the ST-V arcade board.

The last game published by SEGA was Wachenroder, in mid 1998, I believe.

All RPGs for the SS were released up until 1998. There are no RPGs whatsoever from 1999. So my statement stands in full.

The way you put it, then the Dreamcast was supported for more years as well, since unlike with the SS, SEGA did published some DC games even by 2006.

And in Japan the DC was supported officially throughout all of 2001. Rez and Space Channel 5 Part 2 for example were DC/PS2 multiplatform games that were released in November 2001. The Dreamscast was released in November 1998, Those are three full years of first party support. The SS only got 4.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

I played almost every rpg for dreamcast. Evolution 1 and 2 are ok/good but nothing exceptional. never played egg, but I do own and played time stalkers and it's a massively underrated rpg. the hatred comes mainly because you reset your level stats after every dungeon but that's not entirely true as you do master magic and other ability's. the game is definetely one I would check out.

record of lodoss war is pretty good rpg(although diablo style rpg's aren usually my thing) and another one that is under the radar often is silver which is a very good action rpg. great music and storyline! in ways reminds me of finfal fantasy games on psx, with fixed camera angles and atmosphere somehow

grandia 2 I have but havent'p;layed too much and from what I did play it didn't suck me in yet. there is one incredible rpg of course when not counting shenmue 1 and 2 which is skies of arcadia, by far the best rpg and one of the best ever made.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bultje112

TheTrueMagusX1

thank you! I had already posted before reading replies

btw about random battles in soa. it's really bad yes(maybe worse than ff7), however battle is fun for most part and it's important to level up. during the game you get more powerful ships you will be able to sail above or below the sky/surface and you will have 0 random battles. so overall not too much of a problem for me

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bultje112

[QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]Eternal Arcadia took only a month, and Grandia II only about 4.Panzer_Zwei

The Saturn was discontinued in 1998. There were no games done by SEGA past 1998,period, and no official first party support/promotion/publishing for any SS game. Very few developers continued to release SS games past 1998. The ony game released in 2000 was Final Fight Revenge by Capcom, and it was a port of the ST-V arcade board.

All RPGs for the SS were released up until 1998. There are no RPGs whatsoever from 1999. So my statement stands in full.

The way you put it, then the Dreamcast was supported for more years as well, since unlike with the SS, SEGA did published some DC games even by 2006.

And in Japan the DC was supported officially throughout all of 2001. Rez and Space Channel 5 Part 2 for example were DC/PS2 multiplatform games that were released in November 2001. The Dreamscast was released in November 1998, Those are three full years of first party support. The SS only got 4.

this is not true ata ll. saturn lasted from october 1994 in japan I believe until november of 1998 when rpg's were still released fvor saturn like genso suikoden and shining force scenario 3. which is 4 years.

dreamcast lasted from november 1998 until mid 2000 when dreamcast was nullified by sony's ps2 in japan. add less than a year to that and march 2001 is official ending of sega in the west also.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheTrueMagusX1

Yeah, I was going to bring up Silver too

Silver is one of those games which you play which frustrates because there are a few minor niggling flaws that are holding the game back, you know how some games get mediocre scores simply because their mediocre, whilst others have loads of good elements, and potential, but are held back through a few poor decisions, and some lack of polish? Silver is one of those games unfortunately, there are some really nice things about the game if you can ignore the rough edges though.

Anyway -

Silver

+ Great dialogue which is often funny

+ Really high quality music

+ Good entertaining length

+ Atmosphere

- Inconsistent artwork (bad character portraits)

- Cliched storyline

- iffy controls

- Dodgy computer AI for NPCs

- No co-op?!? honestly, this game would've been perfect for co-op, you actually have a NPC character fighting with you 90% of the time anyway FFS, co-op would've been simple to implement and would've improved the game immensely.

But yeah, it may sound like I'm being a downer on the game, but I do actually like it a lot.

Domino_slayer

Yeah Silver have its issue, but it does not break the game imo like you said. I agree with you on the issues for the game, but none the less its not broken. It is certainly not a broken game.....but it is flawed. You donot sound like a downer, your being honest, and I can tell you like the game, and I agree wtih you 100% on everythign you said.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]Eternal Arcadia took only a month, and Grandia II only about 4.bultje112

this is not true ata ll. saturn lasted from october 1994 in japan I believe until november of 1998 when rpg's were still released fvor saturn like genso suikoden and shining force scenario 3. which is 4 years.

dreamcast lasted from november 1998 until mid 2000 when dreamcast was nullified by sony's ps2 in japan. add less than a year to that and march 2001 is official ending of sega in the west also.

The Saturn was released in November 22, 1994. Genso Suikoden was released in 1998 and Shining Force III in 1997. SEGA did not supported the SS past 1998, until the launch of the DC pretty much.

Many first party games like Shenmue II, Cosmic Smash, SEGAGAGA, REZ, Space Channel 5 : Part 2, Sakura Taisen Online etc. were released in Japan in 2001. Even the official Dreamcast magazine ran throghout 2001. The DC was wholly supported throughout all of the year in Japan.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Anyone know what (if any) RPG's will be released in the upcoming Dreamcast Collection for PS3 (not sure if it is coming out on Xbox)
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Panzer_Zwei

The Saturn was released in November 22, 1994. Genso Suikoden was released in 1998 and Shining Force III in 1997. SEGA did not supported the SS past 1998, until the launch of the DC pretty much.

Many first party games like Shenmue II, Cosmic Smash, SEGAGAGA, REZ, Space Channel 5 : Part 2, Sakura Taisen Online etc. were released in Japan in 2001. Even the official Dreamcast magazine ran throghout 2001. The DC was wholly supported throughout all of the year in Japan.

I think people are getting confused between how long a console is supported , and if games come out after it is discontinued.

Sega only really supported the Saturn until late 1998 at best, but some companies did choose to release some games afterwards, most notably Capcom , who released Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 in 1999 (and arguably the best port of the game, I have it , its certainly better then the PS1 and Dreamcast versions)

Yuukyuu Gensoukyoku Hozonban Perpetual Collection was the last game ever released for the Saturn on the 4th of December 2000, but it didn't have anything to do with Sega.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheTrueMagusX1

Anyone know what (if any) RPG's will be released in the upcoming Dreamcast Collection for PS3 (not sure if it is coming out on Xbox)rawsavon

Sega has not released the list yet of the Dreamcast Compilation. I do hope we do get say....Skies of Arcadia on there. Now that would be nice....

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Anyone know what (if any) RPG's will be released in the upcoming Dreamcast Collection for PS3 (not sure if it is coming out on Xbox)TheTrueMagusX1

Sega has not released the list yet of the Dreamcast Compilation. I do hope we do get say....Skies of Arcadia on there. Now that would be nice....

Comes out soon (Feb). I find it odd that no info has been released.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Anyone know what (if any) RPG's will be released in the upcoming Dreamcast Collection for PS3 (not sure if it is coming out on Xbox)rawsavon

Comes out soon (Feb). I find it odd that no info has been released.

Yeah I think it was just announced yesterday or today...pretty quick, but being its compilation, my guess it has been in the works for a short while. Also considering that Sega has been porting Dreamcast games to both the PS3 and 360, I am sure they have been working on other games as well.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silent_bomber

I think people are getting confused between how long a console is supported , and if games come out after it is discontinued

Darkman2007

I don't know about the others, but I was just going by official discontinuation dates, the sites I found said that the Saturn was officially discontinued in 1998 in the west, but not until 2000 in Japan, though looking at them again, none of the places I saw this information look particularly reliable anyway.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]I think people are getting confused between how long a console is supported , and if games come out after it is discontinued

Domino_slayer

I don't know about the others, but I was just going by official discontinuation dates, the sites I found said that the Saturn was officially discontinued in 1998 in the west, but not until 2000 in Japan, though looking at them again, none of the places I saw this information look particularly reliable anyway.

well there were certainly no Sega produced games I can think of after 1998
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]I think people are getting confused between how long a console is supported , and if games come out after it is discontinued

Darkman2007

Yeah as far as I remember the last US Saturn games were coming out at the tail end of Spring of 1998, early summer. I saw a May 1998 release for Burning Ranges and I believe that was one of the last games we got here in the US for the Saturn.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Yeah as far as I remember the last US Saturn games were coming out at the tail end of Spring of 1998, early summer. I saw a May 1998 release for Burning Ranges and I believe that was one of the last games we got here in the US for the Saturn.

The last game released for the Saturn in the US was Magic Knight Rayearth released by Working Designs(never came out in Europe) the last game released for the Saturn in Europe is Deep Fear , released by Sega (never came out in the US)
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] well there were certainly no Sega produced games I can think of after 1998Darkman2007

The last game released for the Saturn in the US was Magic Knight Rayearth released by Working Designs(never came out in Europe) the last game released for the Saturn in Europe is Deep Fear , released by Sega (never came out in the US)

I believe Magic Knight Rayearth was a WD published game correct?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

yes it was.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] The last game released for the Saturn in the US was Magic Knight Rayearth released by Working Designs(never came out in Europe) the last game released for the Saturn in Europe is Deep Fear , released by Sega (never came out in the US)Darkman2007

yes it was.

I am trying to amass a collection of WD games so thats one I know for a fact I am missing. My Goal is to have every WD game published, which I to some day soon.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darkman2007

TheTrueMagusX1

yes it was.

I am trying to amass a collection of WD games so thats one I know for a fact I am missing. My Goal is to have every WD game published, which I to some day soon.

well, they also published Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean on the Saturn too.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] yes it was.Darkman2007

Yeah I am missing their Saturn games and a couple of the PCE/TG16 CD games. Fortunatley I have their Sega CD Stuff like Popful Mail, the Two Lunars, and Vay. I need a few of the PSX games as well.....

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
I played Evolution on both of my Dreamcast, and Gamecube (Evolution Worlds was Evolution 1-2). It was ok.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#34 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

travisstaggs

I was going to mention Silver as well, not a bad game.

I played this one for PC and i can definitely recommend it.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Panzer_Zwei

Climax Landers (Time Stalkers) is actually good for a laugh if you're a fan of CLIMAX (the true creators of the Shining series), that is. You get to see the characters from LandStalker, Lady Stalker and Shining and the Darkness.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Darkman2007

Climax Landers (Time Stalkers) is actually good for a laugh if you're a fan of CLIMAX (the true creators of the Shining Force series), that is. You get to see the characters from LandStalker, Lady Stalker and Shining and the Darkness.

Panzer_Zwei
what do you mean "the true creators of the shining force series"?
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Climax Landers (Time Stalkers) is actually good for a laugh if you're a fan of CLIMAX (the true creators of the Shining Force series), that is. You get to see the characters from LandStalker, Lady Stalker and Shining and the Darkness.

Darkman2007

Yeah, CLIMAX created the Shining series. They made Shining and the Darkness and Shining Force. Then SEGA gave the franchise to SONIC. SONIC even kept using the original art $tyle that CLIMAX invented for the series.

LandStalker was even supposed to be Shining Force : MAX (starring the main character from Shining Force), but CLIMAX and SEGA parted ways.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Panzer_Zwei

Yeah, CLIMAX created the Shining series. They made Shining and the Darkness and Shining Force. Then SEGA gave the franchise to SONIC. SONIC even kept using the original art $tyle that CLIMAX invented for the series.

LandStalker was even supposed to be Shining Force : MAX (starring the main character from Shining Force), but CLIMAX and SEGA parted ways.

so they made the original Shining Force on the Mega Drive , and SONIC made the sequels?
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] what do you mean "the true creators of the shining force series"? Darkman2007

so they made the original Shining Force on the Mega Drive , and SONIC made the sequels?

SONIC made everything from Shining Force II onwards. Then they split and formed CAMELOT. SONIC and CAMELOT did Shining the Holy Ark, and later independant CAMELOT did Shining Force III.

Sorry, I was forgotting the GG games. They came before Shining Force II. SONIC did those too.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Panzer_Zwei

SONIC made everything from Shining Force II onwards. Then they split and formed CAMELOT. SONIC and CAMELOT did Shining the Holy Ark, and later independant CAMELOT did Shining Force III.

interesting info.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] so they made the original Shining Force on the Mega Drive , and SONIC made the sequels?Darkman2007

interesting info.

I recently played Shining in the Darkness, cool little dungeon crawler. Igotta say though some may find a bit archaic I still find it quite fun to play.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]SONIC made everything from Shining Force II onwards. Then they split and formed CAMELOT. SONIC and CAMELOT did Shining the Holy Ark, and later independant CAMELOT did Shining Force III.

TheTrueMagusX1

interesting info.

I recently played Shining in the Darkness, cool little dungeon crawler. Igotta say though some may find a bit archaic I still find it quite fun to play.

I did own Shining The Holy Ark on the Saturn , which is the sequel to Shining in the darkness, it was ok , but I eventually sold it fora pretty decent price because I hardly played the game.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] interesting info.Darkman2007

I did own Shining The Holy Ark on the Saturn , which is the sequel to Shining in the darkness, it was ok , but I eventually sold it fora pretty decent price because I hardly played the game.

I never played Shining the Holy Ark, but I take it that it is a dungeon crawler like Shining In The Darkness?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Darkman2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvGe6EA_tNM

video of Shining the Holy Ark.

its a dungeon crawler, and despite the fact that Im not the biggest fan of the game, it does have a great battle theme.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheTrueMagusX1

its a dungeon crawler, and despite the fact that Im not the biggest fan of the game, it does have a great battle theme.

Darkman2007

Interesting it may not be the best game, its something to check out though!

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

TheTrueMagusX1

if you like these types of games , its a worthy game. its just that I typically dislike these types of RPGs, Shining Force 3 on the other hand , is very good, and its from the same people

Also , Grandia on the Saturn is fantastic, and is considerably better then the PS1 port, it actually looks better , and runs faster, wheres the PS1 version has some frame rate problems, and alot of some detail was lost in the porting process.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bultje112

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

TheTrueMagusX1

the game imo is actually very good. just read the reviews here. truly hidden gem of an rpg. unique first person sprite graphics also that have aged very well. if you like dungeon crawlers like me then this and original phantasy star are the way to go I´d say.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rawsavon
[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

Yeah I am missing their Saturn games and a couple of the PCE/TG16 CD games. Fortunatley I have their Sega CD Stuff like Popful Mail, the Two Lunars, and Vay. I need a few of the PSX games as well.....

Albery Odyssey...MEH -not to great IMO and waaay overpriced online
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] well, they also published Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean on the Saturn too.rawsavon

Im not sure , from what Ive seen it can be found for a decent price. I won't say its the greatest RPG ever, but its certainly not bad.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

Darkman2007

Im not sure , from what Ive seen it can be found for a decent price. I won't say its the greatest RPG ever, but its certainly not bad.

Maybe I paid too much :(
I thought it was pretty bad (especially for a WD game)...not one thing that stood out...no great WD touches IMO