Dragon Age Inquisition - How to Kill Dragon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k-lythgoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 k-lythgoe
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I'm on hard mode (or whatever is below nightmare) and I am a level 16 rogue.

I can not kill the Frostback dragon (level 12) in the Hinterlands, I can only get it to about half health.

Do I need to level up, or do I need to rethink my tactics?

I team with Bull, Solas and Dorian - Do I need to rethink?

Any tips and tactics would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

PSN: K-Lythgoe

k-lythgoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 k-lythgoe
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Bump

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@k-lythgoe: Level 16 should be okay. My personal preference for obliterating dragons is this:

Party: Me (Mage), Cassandra, Vivienne, Varric (or Sera)

Tactics: Set Viv to use Barrier on preferred (otherwise control it yourself); if you are a mage, acquire and use upgraded Barrier as well--keep the Barrier constantly UP! for the whole party; place Varric at a good ranged distance so that the dragon does not pull him in, and set him up with whatever you want for his most powerful shots (I would limit abilities to 1 or 2 to keep the stamina flowing); have Cassandra target one of the back legs, and you yourself should target the same leg until the dragon stumbles, then go for the head.

Potions: if you need to, use elemental resistance, but really, the barrier should be enough as long as you continue to spam it.

Make sure your party targets specific body parts (Varric-head, Viv-head, Cass-leg). This kind of confuses the dragon and makes it move around less. When it flies up to target you from above, simply go into overhead-mode and move your party out of the way, or just have them follow you. Going into overhead strategy is also good to get a party member out of the way of extended ground attacks (i.e. breath of the dragon).

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Bull sucks. You should really run a shield warrior as between their guard and the mage's barrier, they will survive a lot longer and be much less of a drain on your potion supply.

make sure you are in control of at least one of the two barrier spells your mages are using, because the AI has a tendency to be wasteful. If possible, run both yourself (ie, disable the spell so the AI can't use it). Should be easy to keep barrier up on your party.

If you're playing as a Rogue, personally I would choose a bow for dragon slaying as there's a lot of damage and you can hang out by your casters making it easy to hit you and your two mages with the same barrier. Honestly, your shield warrior should need minimal barrier support since the AI, for me, was pretty damn great at keeping guard up.

when the dragon goes airborn, ball up and use barrier on your party and keep it up. When the dragon hangs out on one of the ledges, just go underneath the ledge keeping the dragon out of your line of sight. Just deal with the small dragons until it moves again. When the dragon moves up to the final ledge (last bit of health), barrier up and charge up there...you're going to get bombed running up that small path but barrier should take the brunt of it until you've repositioned everyone in attack range.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

@k-lythgoe: I was having a hard time as well. I'm also playing on hard mode and I defeated the dragon at level 14 while my party was level 13.

My Inquisitor is a KE but I didn't spec it to be OP so that I could have a challenge. Iron Bull Blackwall and Sera in party. Sera positioned behind the dragon. Regen potions on Blackwall and Bull. Just give two people to hit each leg. When it flaps its wings run into the circle. I fade step in with the Mage.

If dragon takes to the skies pause and command everyone to run. Or barrier them. When it lands on the elevated platform go under the shade and kill adds.

*pro tip. In the beginning of the fight when you run towards the dragon, make sure that the person in the front that aggros the dragon is able to handle or dodge the Fire. Make sure the other 3 members are far from this member.

In my case I had my Mage go in front and when the fire was about to hit me I reflected the fire with spirit blade. You could also use fade step to dodge it. Those fireballs really hurt. My Blackwall had no dodging mechanics so during the fight when I saw a fireball being aimed at him I went in front of him and reflected it.

Btw I play with tactics off so I micromanage everything.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

well if brute force doesn't work you could always try to level up and just take him down later...

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BboyStatix

@Ish_basic: @reduc_ab_: Any tips for beating the one in crestwood? Somehow I am having more difficulty with it than the ferelden. The Lightning circles on the floor really screws me over. Any tips?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dylandr

@BboyStatix: Get a tank, a bruizer and a mage that can revive and ofcourse a Rogue for insane damage and that schould do the trick (maybe 2 tanks a mage and a rogue even)

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BboyStatix

@dylandr: Well, that still leaves me with the problem of the op lightning circle attack.

Avatar image for CapnXtraObvious
CapnXtraObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 CapnXtraObvious
Member since 2012 • 506 Posts

Climb it and strike its weak spot.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dylandr

When brute force fails, try bruter force!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#12 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@k-lythgoe said:

I'm on hard mode (or whatever is below nightmare) and I am a level 16 rogue.

I can not kill the Frostback dragon (level 12) in the Hinterlands, I can only get it to about half health.

Do I need to level up, or do I need to rethink my tactics?

I team with Bull, Solas and Dorian - Do I need to rethink?

Any tips and tactics would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

PSN: K-Lythgoe

Try to dodge the flame attacks and try to go for a limb, avoid the air attacks like the plague. If the party you have is decent and you know how to play with them you will make it. Also try to get to 17, it gets easier if you're 17

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@BboyStatix said:

@Ish_basic: @reduc_ab_: Any tips for beating the one in crestwood? Somehow I am having more difficulty with it than the ferelden. The Lightning circles on the floor really screws me over. Any tips?

the key is understanding how the lightning circles work as they are nasty. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure the circles are centered on each character and only do damage when they overlap, so you have to spread your characters out quickly when that attack drops.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BboyStatix

@Ish_basic: Oh wow, that makes a lot of sense. Also, not to mention it has a special combo with that lightning circle move. It uses the wing flapping move to close you all in. At this point everybody's circle is gonna overlap anyway loool! I will try and see if dispel works hehe.